EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cops shoot dog...
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-09-2003 08:24:25 PM
quote:
Zephyer spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I'm aware of that. I said felt like murder, in reference to the family's point of view.

And I can't say I agree entirely with either side of this argument. However I do feel that the policeman does deserve some form of punishment for his error.

It's being investigated. I highly doubt they'll let him walk off free.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-09-2003 08:26:34 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Don Parcelan wrote:
It's being investigated. I highly doubt they'll let him walk off free.

Good. If that's the case, then I'll be satisfied.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-09-2003 08:26:56 PM
quote:
Zephyer spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Good. If that's the case, then I'll be satisfied.

For now, you will be satisfied with roast beef.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 08:28:25 PM
Oh golly! Contrary to popular belief, people who live south of the Mason-Dixon line aren't all Hatfields and McCoys sitting on the porch of their log cabin waiting for somebody's dog to run by.

Unfortunately, that little fairy tale is going to be perpuated again.

On another note, yes, dogs will wag their tails when anxious or aggravated. My parents own seven hounds (Bumpisses!) that are living proof.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 08:28:51 PM
I'm not saying he should get off without any punishment either.

I don't think jail time would be very suitting for something like this though. There are lots of other things he can do though.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-09-2003 08:29:55 PM
quote:
Don Parcelan had this to say about Captain Planet:
For now, you will be satisfied with roast beef.

...Actually, Arby's sounds good.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-09-2003 08:30:47 PM
quote:
Zephyer had this to say about Cuba:

...Actually, Arby's sounds good.

Go to Parceby's instead.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-09-2003 08:35:36 PM
If it were my dog that got shot, I'd settle for kicking the officer who shot it in the nuts as punishment.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
DarkDragoon
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 08:38:12 PM
Understand, I definatly did not think that he was killing the dog just for fun (although just for arguements sake, who is to say he didn't?)

I was upset about the use of deadly force and lack of precaution. as I said before, my initial post was too harsh and perhaps jail time is not the answer, but some form of punishment is, it would be a outrage if he got off scott free.

my position make sense now?

"What is Light without Darkness?"
"And to think I could kill every man, woman, and child here if I wanted to. The power of death is intoxicating"
Shadow Knight of Tarew Marr
Eternal Lurker of the Boards.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-09-2003 08:43:10 PM
WHen you carry a gun you are held to a much higher level of responsibility. It doesn't matter if you are a Police officer of a Civilian with a permit.
This officer did not act as he should have. You can bet if it would have been a civilian who did that they would be paraded in front of the media and thrown in prison for some ungodly number of years.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:05:18 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about John Romero:
This man had a dangerous job.

He thought he was stopping criminals.

Of course if they say "it's a nice doggy!" he's going to 100% believe them.

They told him to close the door. So he should have believed them, since they were not only protecting dog but him also.

"Oh no.. if Marge marries Arty then I'll never be born... cries - Homer Simpson
Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 09:07:35 PM
quote:
dontauro probably says this to all the girls:
They told him to close the door. So he should have believed them, since they were not only protecting dog but him also.

"Yeah, walk up to the door to make yourself vulnerable to our vicious attack dog! No really, he's safe! A nice doggy!"

dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:25:11 PM
Have the owner close it then.. wait obviously the cop isn't that smart in the first place. Nevermind.
Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 09:27:48 PM
Wait, obviously, the owner was a suspected criminal and handcuffed and couldn't close the door.
dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:31:17 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Robocop:
Wait, obviously, the owner was a suspected criminal and handcuffed and couldn't close the door.

Head, feet, wife.

Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 09:32:36 PM
You're coming across as a bit of a moron.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-09-2003 09:34:54 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

That's like saying frenching a shark with a bleeding mouth is a bit dangerous.

Tell me, Dontauro, if you were a cop, why would you believe a suspected criminal? "Yeah, seriously officers, let me help you catch the rest of my gang. Just lean out the window and yell 'BIG TORO IS A COCKSUCKER!'"

Time to give it up, kid.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-09-2003 09:35:14 PM
quote:
Suddar got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

A bit?

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:35:14 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Suddar wrote:
"Yeah, walk up to the door to make yourself vulnerable to our vicious attack dog! No really, he's safe! A nice doggy!"

You don't have to walk right next to the inside of the door to close it, stand near the front door and push it from as far as possible if the cop was really that scared.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 01-09-2003 09:36:44 PM
quote:
dontauro had this to say about dark elf butts:
Have the owner close it then.. wait obviously the cop isn't that smart in the first place. Nevermind.

I must agree with Suddar. You are coming off rather moronic.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:39:35 PM
I should have just been rude like I was in my last post, since that what I was originally goin to say instead of what you quoted, oh well its all good.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-09-2003 09:45:56 PM
Guys, this is Dontauro you're arguing with. You know, the idiot who posted the Drysartisgay picture that opened a few dozen pop ups, gave at least three spywares, and two viruses.

It's already a proven fact he's an idiot.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:49:54 PM
I'd like to submit that nobody in this thread knows the level of stress involved in being a police officer during an unusual traffic stop.

Sure, it's easy to look at it afterward and say "well he shouldn't have shot, that dog wasn't looking threatening at all", but the pure unadulterated fact of the matter is that you have the luxury of not being in that situation as it unfolded, and knowing that (a) you're not in potentially mortal danger watching it, and (b) you know the outcome in advance. It's ohhh sooo easy to be critical of the officer's behavior with those things going for you.

The sad thing is that this cop's career is probably ruined because of this incident.

dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:50:31 PM
Hopefully you have a pop-up stopper now eh? Though its funny how I got 3 extra pop-ups or so from what I remember. Differs for many from what I remember. Someone said 50 though I think they are probably full of bs thats skeery.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: dontauro ]

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-09-2003 09:51:44 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Drysart said this:
I'd like to submit that nobody in this thread knows the level of stress involved in being a police officer during an unusual traffic stop.

Sure, it's easy to look at it afterward and say "well he shouldn't have shot, that dog wasn't looking threatening at all", but the pure unadulterated fact of the matter is that you have the luxury of not being in that situation as it unfolded, and knowing that (a) you're not in potentially mortal danger watching it, and (b) you know the outcome in advance. It's ohhh sooo easy to be critical of the officer's behavior with those things going for you.

The sad thing is that this cop's career is probably ruined because of this incident.

That's why I say a good kick to the nuts would make it even.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:52:02 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Drysart wrote:

One of the few things I agree to in this thread, nicely put.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-09-2003 09:56:41 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when dontauro said:
One of the few things I agree to in this thread, nicely put.

You know, we essentially all said the same thing.

dontauro
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 09:57:26 PM
But it wasn't as perdy.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-09-2003 09:57:58 PM
quote:
Don Parcelan had this to say about Captain Planet:
You know, we essentially all said the same thing.

You all don't have the power to ban him.

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-09-2003 10:04:22 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Drysart said this:

While a dog can be dangerous in situations, unless the dog directly charged the guy and was aiming for his leg, there really wasn't need to shoot it. While I fully understand how stressful a situation like this can be with potentially-armed people and a potentially-dangerous animal, I don't think that there was complete right in shooting the dog.

Yes, it's just a dog, but to some people, it's also a family member. This was a, sadly, unfortunate accident.

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-09-2003 10:07:12 PM
Rolf Snoota

Dono, imagine yourself a cop. You have 3 people who you believe are criminals telling you that there dog is nice, and that you need to close the door. Dogs can be trained to attack with words other than kill or sick. As a safety precaution for when me and my sister wouldwalk our rottweiler when we were 10 and 8 we trained him to growl whenever we said steady. The dog in that car could very well have been trained to bite when someone said something as innocous as watch in "watch the leather" or a simple hand gesture as soon as the police officer (get this part) turned his back to the percieved peratrators to close the door. Exelent time for a hidden knife or gun then wouldnt it be? A simple kick would suffice.

Damn, gotta go. Think on this before passing judgement on a situation you dont know enouph about

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 10:11:33 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Super Kagrama:
Yes, it's just a dog, but to some people, it's also a family member. This was a, sadly, unfortunate accident.

And that's all it was. An accident.

Maybe the cop has a fear of dogs. Who knows. I seriously don't think he shot the dog just to be an asshole. I imagine he knew exactly how deep of shit he got himself into immediately after the adrenaline rush from the situation died down.

All this talk about how he should get prison time, or lose his job over this is absolutely asinine. This is a man who puts his life at risk to keep you safe. Yes, he accidentally killed a dog, but that's what it was. A dog. A dog is not worth ruining an innocent human being's life over.

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-09-2003 10:14:59 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Knight Rider:
All this talk about how he should get prison time, or lose his job over this is absolutely asinine. This is a man who puts his life at risk to keep you safe. Yes, he accidentally killed a dog, but that's what it was. A dog. A dog is not worth ruining an innocent human being's life over.

I don't think anything more can be done. There was an apology, and I think that's a noble thing to do.

I still feel sorry for the family that got pulled over. Getting handcuffed on the ground and your family pet that you've loved for years get shot can't be good.

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Soldar
I'll take two of anything, please. To go.
posted 01-09-2003 10:15:41 PM
quote:
Drysart wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I seriously don't think he shot the dog just to be an asshole.

I can agree with this. It's not like the guy shot the dog, then proceeded to fire several more shells into it.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Soldar ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-09-2003 10:27:15 PM
I can agree with Drys that the guy most likely didn't have malicious intent with his actions.

However, as Az said, he is an official who carries a gun. He is held to a higher standard of behavior than a civilian with a gun. He didn't use his head, basically, and he made a mistake.

Unfortunately, he should pay for that mistake. The law can't let someone slide because they don't do their job.

I don't think jail time should be involved. But a suspension and a hefty fine would fit the mistake nicely, I think, and possibly assure that he and others will be less hair-trigger in the future.

What if he had gotten nervous over something and accidentally shot an innocent person? If he were allowed to get off without punishment on this, that may well be what happens the next time he loses his cool.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 10:30:24 PM
quote:
How.... Lyinar Ka`Bael.... uughhhhhh:
Unfortunately, he should pay for that mistake. The law can't let someone slide because they don't do their job.

I don't think jail time should be involved. But a suspension and a hefty fine would fit the mistake nicely, I think, and possibly assure that he and others will be less hair-trigger in the future.

What if he had gotten nervous over something and accidentally shot an innocent person? If he were allowed to get off without punishment on this, that may well be what happens the next time he loses his cool.

Oh absolutely punishment is called for. A suspension and perhaps a reasonable fine fits the bill well. Nothing that's going to screw the poor guy over for the rest of his life, like 10-20 years of prison, or being fired outright (since no other police force would likely hire him after that) would.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-09-2003 10:33:53 PM
Why did the guy have a shotgun out in the first place? That's what I want to know. Cops don't get out of cars with those things for no reason. A cop's sidearm would be more than enough to handle a man-sized target. What's so unusual about a dog? They're likely to growl and snap? So? Nutjob person might do the same thing, but you wouldn't advise an officer to shoot them with a shotgun.

Besides there's no evidence this dog was acting hostile. Using a SHOTGUN on a NON-HOSTILE, LIVING TARGET is a big no-no. I don't care if his adrenaline was pumping. If he's going to make that sort of error on a traffic stop...there's a serious problem.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-09-2003 10:37:53 PM
Yeah, 10 to 20 years in prison is definitely overkill. And I don't blame the family for pursuing legal rights, either.

I think between a suspension, a hefty fine and legal recourse taken against the department, the guy will have more than paid for the accident.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 10:39:42 PM
Every cop car has a shotgun in it at all times (at least in all the jurisdictions I'm familiar with). Police generally brandish it for the intimidation factor when they're in a situation they're not altogether comfortable with and they're without backup (sometimes as a matter of department policy).
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-09-2003 10:47:49 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Every cop car has a shotgun in it at all times (at least in all the jurisdictions I'm familiar with). Police generally brandish it for the intimidation factor when they're in a situation they're not altogether comfortable with and they're without backup (sometimes as a matter of department policy).

I know they have a shotgun in the vehicle. I did a ride-along at one point. I dunno...maybe it's just me, but it still seems unusual that this officer is going to traffic stops with a shotgun. Even if there's multiple people in the vehicle. Especially if you're THAT nervous. I understand an officer could very easily be on edge over traffic stops. They could get shot, they could get hit by a passing card, etc; but nervousness and adrenaline does not equate to aiming and firing a shotgun at a dog's head.

He fucked up bigtime. It wasn't an "accident". He chose to do the wrong thing. What if one of the people in a vehicle he pulled over was asleep and abruptly woke up out of a drunken stupor? If he fired on them with his shotgun, would you write it off as nerves and let him off with a slap on the wrist? Hell no.

Someone needs some retraining in the very least.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: