EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cops shoot dog...
Lashanna
noob
posted 01-12-2003 01:53:15 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Zephyer said:

...If I wasn't gay, I would be very, very, very turned on right now.

And that was the entire point of that post.
Hitting on gay guys is fun, ^_^

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 01-12-2003 01:53:15 AM
LOOK, A PLANE!%#!^

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen. ]

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-12-2003 01:54:02 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent JooJooFlop said:
Um, I'm gay and I like handcuffs too.

*leaps at JooJoo and tackles him to the head, applying his handcuffs in a skillful manner indicative of years of practice, and stradles the prone young man, leaning over to him, smothering him in kisses of affection and passion, running his hands along his body!*

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 01-12-2003 01:54:41 AM
quote:
Lashanna enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
And that was the entire point of that post.
Hitting on gay guys is fun, ^_^

Damn right it is!

I always expect them to run away shrieking "No boobies, NO BOOBIES!!"

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-12-2003 01:56:23 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Lashanna said this:

OK, a police officer doesn't fire a gun at a suspect without intending to kill.

Better?

Negative. You're still assuming that a cop who fires his weapon's goal is to kill. A cop who fires his weapon intends to stop someone from hurting him. They don't go around looking for kill shots. Looking to kill an offender is a fast way to get all sorts of Unnecessary Use of Force and Wrongful Death suits dropped on you. Cops don't shoot to kill unless they have to. They understand shooting any victim can lead to a death, but they don't draw down assuming someone's going to die, wanting someone to die, or intending for someone to die in most cases.

If you believe otherwise, you're flat out wrong and don't understand the philosophy behind police operating procedures.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-12-2003 01:56:35 AM
quote:
Frog had this to say about Cuba:
*leaps at JooJoo and tackles him to the head, applying his handcuffs in a skillful manner indicative of years of practice, and stradles the prone young man, leaning over to him, smothering him in kisses of affection and passion, running his hands along his body!*

...Eh, I'll take it.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-12-2003 01:57:15 AM
I was going to say something, but I couldn't think of anything to say.
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
nem-x
posted 01-12-2003 01:58:19 AM
The only time when a police officer has to use his guns is when he actually needs to shoot the shit out of someone. It usually results in death.
Lashanna
noob
posted 01-12-2003 01:58:29 AM
quote:
This one time, at Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael camp:
Negative. You're still assuming that a cop who fires his weapon's goal is to kill. A cop who fires his weapon intends to stop someone from hurting him. They don't go around looking for kill shots. Looking to kill an offender is a fast way to get all sorts of Unnecessary Use of Force and Wrongful Death suits dropped on you. Cops don't shoot to kill unless they have to. They understand shooting any victim can lead to a death, but they don't draw down assuming someone's going to die, wanting someone to die, or intending for someone to die in most cases.

If you believe otherwise, you're flat out wrong and don't understand the philosophy behind police operating procedures.

Christ, you're nitpicking words, it's the ends to the same mean...

The point was... Cops don't shoot to wound.
They don't shoot someone running at them with a knife in the leg.
They don't shoot a gunman in the arm. etc. etc. etc. Get it?

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-12-2003 02:04:55 AM
quote:
Lashanna impressed everyone with:

Of course they don't. The guy could stagger and fall on his knife.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-12-2003 02:11:02 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Lashanna!
Christ, you're nitpicking words, it's the ends to the same mean...

Cops don't shoot to kill. That's what you don't seem to get. COPS DO NOT FIRE THEIR WEAPON INTENDING TO KILL.

Is that CLEAR ENOUGH for you? And only someone with no concept of police procedure, save for what they've gotten from movies and TV, would make the mistake of saying "Cops don't shoot to wound" and think it's profound. They don't shoot to wound, they don't shoot to kill. Repeat after me, they SHOOT TO STOP THE ASSAILANT.

Know why most times a person gets shot center mass? Because that's the easiest part of the body to hit. Not because someone's a badass marksman or because that's the easiest way to kill someone. Center mass on a moving target is easiest to hit. They don't teach cops to double-tap people in the chest to cause massive trauma. They discourage officers from emptying a clip into anything.

Over-use force and you, the department, and the city will get sued for all sorts of shit, starting with Unnecessary Use of Force, going to Wrongful Death, and moving right up into Manslaughter. Nitpicking the philosophy is important, because it's the difference between a criminal act and a non-criminal act.

This guy, by all reports, including the video, took aim and shot the dog in the head with a shotgun. That was an intended kill shot. And if it were a human that this guy shot, jazzed on adrenaline or not, the argument could be made that shooting someone with a shotgun was Unnecessary Force. It could be argued that it was a Wrongful Death situation.

The fact he did it to the animal is probably the only reason why those charges haven't been laid on him. Animals don't have the same rights as people.

But don't delude yourself into thinking that his sort of action, his deliberate use of lethal force, is the intent of every officer who fires their weapon. A cop who shoots their gun hopes the perpetrator doesn't die not only because justice is served better to a living recipient, but because they also want to cover their asses. They shoot to disable. Not kill. Disable.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-12-2003 02:12:30 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Lashanna said:

Cops do indeed shoot to wound. I don't know where you learned police procedure, but the policy is usually one of using the least lethal shot needed to get the suspect to stop whatever it is he's doing, often called "shoot to disable". (In fact, a cop is likely to have a strong aversion to killing someone with a gunshot simply because of the required investigation that follows use of lethal force in many jurisdictions).

A shot to disable may also be a potentially lethal shot, depending on the situation. When someone's running at a cop with a deadly weapon and the intention of using it, the least lethal shot to get them to stop their charge is a shot to the chest. Someone can take a slug to the leg and keep running.

As a matter of example that not even a shot to the chest is enough to stop someone, just a couple weeks ago someone got into a standoff with police here on the offramp of a freeway. The guy had a knife. He was surrounded by three cops. He lunged at one of the cops and that cop shot him in the chest. He staggered slightly, but continued his charge. The other two cops, who were holding their fire, then shot him in the head (he was almost on top of the cop he was charging to by that time).

And on the other side of things, there's plenty of video evidence of police using sharpshooters to shoot a deadly weapon out of someone's hand. Sometimes you see one on one of those "sensational police videos" shows hosted by that assmuch Sheriff John Burnell.

Suddar
posted 01-12-2003 02:20:45 AM
Why don't they ever aim for the crotch?

That'd sure disable me.

BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 01-12-2003 02:22:50 AM
quote:
Drysart got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
assmuch Sheriff John Burnell.

should that be assmuNch?

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-12-2003 02:23:18 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Suddar said:
Why don't they ever aim for the crotch?

They could probably get sued for something like that.

Besides, could you shoot another man in his junk without feeling just a fraction of that yourself?

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-12-2003 02:24:10 AM
quote:
FrostyMunch attempted to be funny by writing:
should that be assmuNch?

No, assmuch. As in one who has much ass.

Suddar
posted 01-12-2003 02:26:41 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by JooJooFlop:
They could probably get sued for something like that.

Besides, could you shoot another man in his junk without feeling just a fraction of that yourself?

I doubt it. He's the one endangering you, he should've known that if he was going to charge you with a knife that his dick could be in jeoprody.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 01-12-2003 02:31:40 AM
I was talking to a cop at school once who said their station almost got charged for using too much force. Some drunk guy (very large, buff guy) was hitting his girlfriend. Cops arive, he decides he wants to play beat the cop. So they pepper spray him, and he wipes his face off, gives them a 'Is that all you've got?' look and continues throwing cops across the room. Three cops got out their beating sticks, tried to stop him with those. They hit him once or twice, break a bone or two, and he still is going after them. In the end, by accident one of the cops caught him right on the head, split his head open some. He had quite a few broken bones, and was out for a few days, but as I was told recovered.
Moral of the story: There is none.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 01-12-2003 03:07:54 AM
well, i read the first four pages, and then i decided to throw my hat in the ring, sorry if any of my points are redundant in this post.

First: Killing the dog caused greif to the family, i will not debate this.

Second: The family may have felt that the dog was a member of the family, this is immaterial. If you consider your computer as a member of the family, it does not make it one.

Third: Shooting the dog repeatedly. Police officers are trained to empty their clips when they open fire. That means that if they shoot you once, they will shoot you 10 more times (or however many bullets they have). Using a gun is deadly force, it's not meant to disable, or to slow a target, it's meant to kill one. So using multiple shells on a target is smart, it makes sure that you did in fact kill it. As soon as the officer decides to open fire on a target, that target WILL die.

Fourth: You were not there. Shut the fuck up. If you're dealing with 2 groups of possible dangers. The first group has 3 members that might all be carrying firearms, knives and other various weaponry, and the second has one member that has a rather nasty bite, which group do you concentrate all your efforts on? Are you really suggesting that he should turn his back on these people that he has been told are dangerous just so he can eliminate a slightly dangerous threat? Jesus, you deal with the people FIRST, and if the dog comes and tries to fuck with you, YOU DEAL WITH IT. Are you really saying that the officer should have taken his attention from these possibly quite dangerous people to deal with a fucking dog?

Fifth: picture this: You're told that 3 people carjacked a car, and you now have these suspects in handcuffe on the ground, their dog comes running towards you. First instinct? Stop the dog. How? Gun. People that say that he should have kicked the dog, i quote from Outbreak "Are you dumb or something?" That's quite possibly the WORST idea i've ever heard of. You realistically have 2 options for dealing with a dog, kill it or pepper spray. The option is left to the discretion of the officer.

My god, this is a fucking ridiculous story. Yes, it was a mistake, but in the same situation, i would expect any officer to act the exact same way.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 01-12-2003 03:09:50 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why The Burger wrote:
Third: Shooting the dog repeatedly. Police officers are trained to empty their clips when they open fire. That means that if they shoot you once, they will shoot you 10 more times (or however many bullets they have). Using a gun is deadly force, it's not meant to disable, or to slow a target, it's meant to kill one. So using multiple shells on a target is smart, it makes sure that you did in fact kill it. As soon as the officer decides to open fire on a target, that target WILL die.

Wrong.

Insert quarter to continue.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-12-2003 03:29:28 AM
Did I ever tell you guys about my time at the carnival? I was playing one of those games where you shoot water into the clown's mouth to fill up the baloon.

I don't know about cops, but I was in the fucking 'kill-zone', there.

It's a dangerous business...carnival-going.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-12-2003 03:30:37 AM
quote:
Don Parcelan had this to say about Pirotess:
Did I ever tell you guys about my time at the carnival? I was playing one of those games where you shoot water into the clown's mouth to fill up the baloon.

You're an only child, arn't you?

Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 01-12-2003 11:11:31 AM
It's going to be impossible to "shoot to wound" with a shotgun on a dog at that kind of range. The other option would have been to drop the shotgun, draw the sidearm, and neutralize the dog. Any homer or gomer can realize the problem with this course of action, no?

The police officer was using the most readily available method of defense against a suspect he deemed hostile.

Police use of firearms is bass-ackwards enough though that they do, in fact, choose to "shoot to wound." I'm of the opinion that the only time a firearm should be drawn, police or otherwise, should be in the event that the operator feels he is in severe danger and will need to protect himself by neutralizing a suspect. If a gun is drawn on you or an innocent bystander, there is one, and ONLY one, response that insures that neither you or others are harmed, and that is to terminate the offender. There is no "justice shot" or "disarmament shot", save the Mozambique drill.

Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 01-12-2003 02:45:46 PM
And just to clarify; the Mozambique drill is two shots on center mass, followed by one to the head in the event of a failure to stop.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-12-2003 03:34:10 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when DarkDragoon said:
Every so often I have to remind myself why I lurk instead of post, and this is exactly why... I didn't kiss ass my way up the "EC social ladder" to get into the little clicks you are in.

You people savagely defend each other just because of that, ignoring the real arguement and simply going for insults because its easier to attack the person then address the issue.

Hee hee, I want this to replace

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Addy
posted 01-12-2003 03:43:52 PM
Die thread plz k thx.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 01-12-2003 04:52:25 PM
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I ran over a manatee?

I was driving down the Tempe Bridge, when one of those fat, gray fuckers just jumped out of the water and onto the bridge. I couldn't stop in time, so I hit it with my car, accidentally.

So I got out to see if I had killed it when I heard somebody saying: "MI BAMBINO!"

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: