EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cops shoot dog...
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 01-09-2003 04:30:17 PM
WTF!?

I'm kinda at a loss for words...

=\

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 01-09-2003 04:32:30 PM
Oh well.
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Nina
posted 01-09-2003 04:33:42 PM
"Aaaah! Police brutality!
-I rate pretty high on that."
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 04:36:30 PM
quote:
The department is conducting an investigation to determine what, if anything, could have been done differently, he said.

Oh really?

quote:
The Smoaks told CNN that as they knelt, handcuffed, they pleaded with officers to close the doors of their car so their two dogs would not escape, but the officers did not heed them.

It's all on video tape too, and they're not lying. Looks to me like it's pretty damned obvious what could have been done differently.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-09-2003 04:37:27 PM
WTF...

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 01-09-2003 04:40:40 PM
Shyt!
wow... that really really blows
hrmm...
Shyt!
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-09-2003 04:41:04 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
It's all on video tape too, and they're not lying. Looks to me like it's pretty damned obvious what could have been done differently.

Agreed. Whole-heartedly.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-09-2003 04:41:24 PM
That idiot cop needs to be fired. Anyone that 'gun happy' doesn't deserve to wear the uniform.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-09-2003 04:42:45 PM
Deadly force should only be used in the most extreme circumstances.

A playful, tail wagging, dog is not what I'd call extreme.

Asshole.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-09-2003 04:45:07 PM
That's fucked up.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 01-09-2003 04:45:08 PM
quote:
Baron Von Mortay had this to say about Knight Rider:

Asshole. Fucktard.

hey
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-09-2003 04:49:04 PM
Things like that aren't fair, really. It's not fair to judge people who work a dangerous job. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to look at something AFTER the fact and say it was bad.

My Dad, for instance, used to be a Police Officer in Chicago. He almost shot a guy who later was found to be perfectly harmless, but he seemed threatening to my Dad at the time.

Put yourself in the Patrolman's shoes: dogs are dangerous animals. You can sit there and say, 'But MY dog is cute and cuddly and likes to lick my face and chew on my shoes and.. and.. and..!', but dogs are by nature dangerous. It's why people raise them to watch their houses. They can be the cutest animal in the world until someone they don't know comes around the family. Then they go back on their nature and become vicious. Dogs were originally domesticated as hunters, due to their naturally aggresive traits.

So you have three people who are accused of a violent crime(later it was found out to be a mistake, but all the cop had to go on was the fact his boss told him these people commited a violent crime and carjacked someone) and an animal who is violent by nature running out of the car and coming at you. I, for one, would have done the same exact thing.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 01-09-2003 04:53:31 PM
Now, I know no one at EC would jump to a conclusion based on what CNN is reporting, but has anyone actually seen the footage of this dog being shot?

I can't seem to get to it on the website, but perhaps someone else did.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 01-09-2003 04:54:12 PM
Even with that.. If the cops were *that* worried the dogs would harm them, they should have shut the doors of the car so they couldn't get out.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 01-09-2003 04:55:38 PM
So I take it you haven't seen the video, then?
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 04:55:43 PM
Let me clarify something. I don't think it was a bad call to shoot the dog. I've seen dogs that wag their tail even as they go after you. It's what they've been trained to do, and they expect to be praised for it. So, attacking makes them happy, because they expect to be loved for it.

The bad call was when they left the doors open to begin with. The dogs would have never been able to get at them at all if the doors had been shut, as the people asked. The officers didn't take an easy step to protect themselves when they had the chance, and wound up having to take a drastic measures instead. THAT was the mistake that caused all this.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 04:57:03 PM
quote:
Judge Gydyon thought about the meaning of life:
Now, I know no one at EC would jump to a conclusion based on what CNN is reporting, but has anyone actually seen the footage of this dog being shot?

I can't seem to get to it on the website, but perhaps someone else did.

Fark posted a link to where you can find it.
http://www.local6.com/orlpn/news/stories/news-187947320030109-110148.html

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-09-2003 04:59:52 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Baron Von Mortay wrote:

Asshole.

Could not agree more. Cop needs to get his ass fired.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Gydyon
posted 01-09-2003 05:00:05 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Fark posted a link to where you can find it.
http://www.local6.com/orlpn/news/stories/news-187947320030109-110148.html

That's what I'm looking for -- CNN's video is down, and my 14 day free trial is worthless.

Maybe now the opinions we express can be educated and such....

Not meaning to be harsh towards anyone -- the lawyer in me needs a bit more than "This is what CNN and the people threatening to sue and get phat lewts say."

EDIT: That's some ugly video, that is. Maybe a better version will appear.....

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Judge Gydyon ]

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-09-2003 05:04:37 PM
Being completely open-minded and not listening to the hype, I watched the video. The dog did not look threatening in *any* way.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 05:05:51 PM
quote:
Judge Gydyon got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
That's what I'm looking for -- CNN's video is down, and my 14 day free trial is worthless.

Maybe now the opinions we express can be educated and such....

Not meaning to be harsh towards anyone -- the lawyer in me needs a bit more than "This is what CNN and the people threatening to sue and get phat lewts say."

EDIT: That's some ugly video, that is. Maybe a better version will appear.....

No problem, it's cool. Facts are good.

I don't think we're going to see a better video any time soon. Odds are, any better version of it won't be released to the press till the case is delt with.

You can see the dog's tail wagging. Like I said though, that doesn't mean that it's not going to go after you.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 05:06:50 PM
FINAL EDIT: ARGH, nevermind. Selective reading again.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Glass ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 05:06:54 PM
ok, shooting the dog sucks but lets change the subject for a minute:

"Police had suspected the family of a crime after getting a report of money flying from their car as it sped down Interstate 40.

Investigators later discovered Smoak had left his wallet on the car while pumping gas and was innocent of any crime. "

Does this make anyone else laugh?

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 01-09-2003 05:16:21 PM
I say we sick PETA on the police officer that did it.
I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-09-2003 05:17:28 PM
quote:
NecroPope stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Nobody deserves that.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 05:17:36 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when NecroPope wrote:

I say we sick the police officer that did it on PETA.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-09-2003 05:21:48 PM
I didn't need to read that....
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 05:32:11 PM
While the cop is a dumbass, he honestly looks pretty fucking scared, and not everybody's judgement is the best when they're scared. Though blasting him three or four times was overkill...with a shotgun...

But really, give the guy a break. He definitely deserves punishment but it's not like he's an evil, evil man...

BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 01-09-2003 05:33:34 PM
This incident is one of the reasons I don't like dealing with rednecks here in TN.

They have no common sense it seems sometimes , and that dog looked harmless.

Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 05:34:38 PM
Yeah, just like those harmless spiders we see on our wall every day just before crushing them with a newspaper.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-09-2003 05:35:44 PM
I put bugs outside instead of killing them. I'm such a sissy.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 05:36:58 PM
Me too.

And you're even a frog. Lameass.

Skaw
posted 01-09-2003 05:45:28 PM
I've never seen a dog that wags its tail when it's aggravated, must be some weird new breed
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-09-2003 05:49:27 PM
http://story.herald-citizen.com/newsstory4.htm

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-09-2003 05:52:04 PM
quote:
Suddar enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
While the cop is a dumbass, he honestly looks pretty fucking scared, and not everybody's judgement is the best when they're scared. Though blasting him three or four times was overkill...with a shotgun...

But really, give the guy a break. He definitely deserves punishment but it's not like he's an evil, evil man...

I agree, good god people

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-09-2003 05:55:24 PM
quote:
Skaw painfully thought these words up:
I've never seen a dog that wags its tail when it's aggravated, must be some weird new breed

Aggravated? Dogs don't have to be aggravated to attack.

I've seen (and delt with) a dog that was being trained to attack by its first owner. Basically, if it attacked anyone besides its owner, it was praised. It learned that biting people got it love and attention.

Later, it was rescued from that owner, and almost trained out of that. However, it still tended to bite (mostly just nips) if it wanted attention. It tended to do this more often if overly excited by strange things or people.

After dealing with this dog a couple times, and getting a couple of nips and nearly getting a real bite from it, I decided to avoid going to those people's house so long as that dog was there (it finally ran into nasty health problems and had to be put down).

Replace the dog in the video with the one I'm talking about, and it would have been wagging its tail even as it tried to bite. And if there's one dog like that, there's more.

Skaw
posted 01-09-2003 05:56:47 PM
quote:
Officer Hall yelled at the canine to get back while retreating. The canine continued closing the distance of inches before Officer Hall was forced to discharge his weapon.

Yes, because we all know dogs fully understand and comprehend human communication.

Suddar
posted 01-09-2003 06:01:00 PM
No, but they do understand tone and fear. And lolololll like people understand dogs.
nem-x
posted 01-09-2003 06:03:29 PM
Ok.. I watched the video.
The dog wasn't even charging at them, it was running to the side. But you know, if the dog got close, he could've just kicked it in the face or something.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-09-2003 06:05:08 PM
That's what I was thinking, kick it IN THE FACE
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: