EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Minecraft
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 12:34:11 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!
This can backfire - obsidian is indestructible

Obsidian is breakable by anything, it just takes fucking 50 seconds to break a single block. If you have a diamond pick, it takes 15 seconds, and you get a block of Obsidian.

Also, Obsidian is only formed if you place water on "source" lava. If you strike a lava spring and lava begins pouring into the room you are in, dumping water on that lava will only create Cobblestone, which stops the flow of the lava (as well as gives you something to douse yourself with if the lava lit you on fire).

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 12:36:25 AM
I installed llamacraft on the server for a handful of multiplayer bug fixes, should run a lot smoother. Started a neat little hilltop fort.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-24-2010 01:15:48 PM
Whoops.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Steven Steve
posted 09-24-2010 03:31:01 PM

Here's a Quake guy skin I made if the site ever comes back online ever again

edit: oops I fucked it up huhu well I'll fix it later

edit: there

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 09-24-2010 at 04:27 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 09-24-2010 06:14:23 PM
Holy GOD DAMN I found a Quake guy skin that's a million times better than mine
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 06:42:46 PM
Here's a preview of my base.

Asterisk fucked around with this message on 09-24-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 06:53:17 PM
How was the server? You guys spawned a lot of overload errors but then so does absolutely anything I do on the server.
Asterisk
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 07:04:41 PM
Fuck, too late to edit to crop those pics. ><

Server seemed a bit buggy, kept teleporting me back to spawn while I was attempting to jump up to your fort.

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 07:11:03 PM
Also, animals and monsters are invincible for some reason. It seems like these require pretty heavy modification.
Asterisk
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 07:15:56 PM
It's an issue high on the priority list to fix damage.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 08:55:01 PM
I'm trapped in a black room with no monsters to kill me and no equipment to dig my way out. Any suggestions?
Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 09:05:57 PM
Are you on a multiplayer server? They may have set up a spawn jail to trap griefers, in which case the admin will have to free you.
Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 09:22:50 PM
Apparently all of the problems with the server are known issues. Like, seriously.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 10:34:06 PM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
Are you on a multiplayer server? They may have set up a spawn jail to trap griefers, in which case the admin will have to free you.

No I was exploring a dungeon and did something stupid - I jumped down a hole after I re-spawned (naked) but didn't die and now am stuck and unable to die.

Also, what's with your server? I can't even build anything...

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2010 10:42:13 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Ghost of Forums Past booooze lime pole over bench lick:
No I was exploring a dungeon and did something stupid - I jumped down a hole after I re-spawned (naked) but didn't die and now am stuck and unable to die.

Also, what's with your server? I can't even build anything...

Well, I posted a thread on the official forums, and apparently there's a big issue with blocks near spawn points. Other than that, I have no idea, waiting for more feedback on lag problems.

If you have a chance, it might be helpful if you could tracert the server ip on port 25565 and send the the info.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-24-2010 10:50:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Well, I posted a thread on the official forums, and apparently there's a big issue with blocks near spawn points. Other than that, I have no idea, waiting for more feedback on lag problems.

If you have a chance, it might be helpful if you could tracert the server ip on port 25565 and send the the info.

Ah, that explains it. I was trying to make a dirt hut so people who logged in at night had a safe place to start.

Steven Steve
posted 09-24-2010 11:11:33 PM
I don't know if the spawn point stasis thing is an actual issue or if it's by design, because surely they'd want to make the spawn point "pure" if new players are to ever join the server, lest someone come by and just create a massive lava pit that no one can ever get out of

Maradon!
posted 09-25-2010 01:54:45 PM
Server's up, figured out what the overload issue was; LHC@home was turning on and eating up cpu
nem-x
posted 09-25-2010 06:11:06 PM
is this blockland or what
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-25-2010 07:40:10 PM
This game will be the death of me.
Asterisk
Pancake
posted 09-25-2010 10:47:16 PM
You should check out some of the stuff Diadem and I did on the server.

Well, mostly Diadem. I set a lot of stuff on fire.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-26-2010 10:21:43 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I'm running a test server at 96.235.22.69

When trying to connect...

quote:

Connection lost

Internal exception: java.io.IOException: Bad packet ID 101

edit: Did you make any changes to the server since last night?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Maradon!
posted 09-26-2010 11:16:14 AM
Yes, that should be fixed now.

Overnight, the server shot up to 98% cpu utilization and 1024mb of ram (100% used). The vanilla server is very bad.

I spent some time this morning trying out different server offerings. That particular error is from MCZall which I never did get to work. Other servers are either prohibitively complex (LuaCraft) or only run in build mode which is like Classic and boring. fCraft is like this and if I can figure out how to get fCraft to run SMP I'll run that.

Til then I'll just have to reboot the vanilla server once in a while. Everything is still in order.

Maradon!
posted 09-26-2010 03:39:50 PM
I moved the server onto a VMWare box running a minimalist XP64 install. It's running a lot better, for now at least. Let me know what it's like.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-26-2010 05:02:50 PM
With just me on it, twas flawless until I tried to mess with a minecart. Sorry!
Maradon!
posted 09-26-2010 06:59:46 PM
I'm thinking memory leak of some kind. It runs perfect for a few hours, then goes to shit.

Anyway it's back up.

Maradon!
posted 09-26-2010 07:09:22 PM
Fuck it, I'm taking this thing down until I can work out how to run one that actually works.

I'll post here when I do, probably later tonight.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-26-2010 07:26:05 PM
a series of at commands and a batch file could handle keeping it running for now....
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Greenlit
posted 09-26-2010 07:53:00 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis probably says this to all the girls:
With just me on it, twas flawless until I tried to mess with a minecart. Sorry!

Minecarts crashing multiplayer is a known issue. Notch hasn't provided any ETA on fixing it yet.

Maradon!
posted 09-26-2010 08:10:39 PM
Server's back up, tweaked some stuff and am running a modified version of base
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-26-2010 11:15:47 PM
The boats are disappointing after a half hour or so so don't bother populating the dock.

They are cheap anyhow - just grab a couple from the dock chest (as well as a compass so you can find your way home) and be on your way. You'll want a spare because very little sucks more than ramming into an island due to lag and being stranded until you craft another.

Edit: You may notice an unlit beacon just out of view of the spawn. That marks a rather massive set of hives of caverns that's been stripped mostly bare.

edit2: Mara, you mind backing the world up to a dvd just in case?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-26-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-27-2010 07:04:52 AM
I have the world backing up to flash drive every couple hours.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-27-2010 10:46:18 AM
Asterisk, I tried to get fancy with the entrance to your farm but it looks like I made a mistake with the circuitry somewhere:

When it's done the following will happen with double iron doors.
- When the doors are unlocked they'll behave like star trek doors, activated by pressure plates.
- When the doors are locked they'll ignore the pressure plates
- There is an override switch that forces the doors open.

I think I got the hand of the circuitry - I just made a couple mistakes when building (probably accidentally severed a wire somewhere). Once I get the basics down I'll be able to modify the design to your specification to better suit your farm.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-27-2010 11:56:24 AM
I think doors are very bugged in your server. I created a basic iron door in the Redstone Test room (located in the mineshaft near spawn) and even something as simple as this didn't work.

edit: I found the source of the bug after browsing online. Apparently the server sends most instant updates based on light. The area around the door needs to be triggered by a drastic change in lighting or an update won't be sent correctly.

- If the light on a door hasn't changed the door won't be updated.
- If the light on a door has changed but there are brighter light sources around anyhow the door won't be updated
- If
...all the light sources effecting the door change the same time an "open" toggle occurs on the door
...then the door should function as expected

With this information I made a working iron door in the redstone test room... but it needs to be very dark to work right. I also needed the door open switch to also be a lightswitch to force the light to update.

This is why the iron door works in the test room but the wooden one doesn't.

I guess I should have tried this before I attempted a 315 block circuit (7x9 five deep).

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-27-2010 02:15:17 PM
I tried some minecart tracks and i'm not sure what happened. Sorry about that.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-27-2010 03:00:30 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
Apparently all of the problems with the server are known issues. Like, seriously.

Early alpha.

The game is a victim of its own success; we were getting very regular updates before it became popular, because the lead dev didn't have to spend all his time doing interviews, forming a company, arguing with Paypal, and all the other fun stuff that happens when you suddenly find yourself making $20k a day.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 09-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 09-27-2010 04:06:04 PM
I was mining and got sucked into the void. I can't die either in there, so I am stuck. WTB Summon plz.
Maradon!
posted 09-27-2010 05:02:47 PM
You have to make a deal with one of the Lords of the Outer Dark in order to get back.
Steven Steve
posted 09-27-2010 09:02:54 PM

Another day, another mine

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-28-2010 06:07:11 AM

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: