EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Debate drinking game
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-29-2008 08:18:31 AM
man, if that's all she did, I wonder why she had such a high approval rating in alaska
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-29-2008 08:24:28 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Parcelan stammered:
What's the one school of thought where you think God created man, but God did not create all men equal

Methodist.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-29-2008 08:45:46 AM
quote:
Willias said:
man, if that's all she did, I wonder why she had such a high approval rating in alaska

It's Alaska.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-29-2008 08:51:08 AM
quote:
A thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters couldn't ever match Mortious:
It's Alaska.

Mortious has foreign policy experience because he can see france from his country. It's right over there.

Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 08:52:38 AM
I mean if russia wanted to invade Greenland they'd have to fly planes though England maybe? I mean over the north pole is not the most direct method at all, because I mean if you look at a map the world ends north of alaska, it doesn't wrap around.
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-29-2008 09:17:35 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
It's Alaska.

well, yeah

It's funny actually, her approval rate in Alaska has dropped by 14ish% in the last couple of weeks, mostly with democrats and No Party/Other Party members.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-29-2008 09:42:52 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Willias said:

It takes a sex or drug scandal to bring down a small town mayor. Not sure about governors, though.

I dun got banned
Pancake
posted 09-29-2008 11:19:41 AM
quote:
Callalron got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Being as Harry is our senior senator, I've often found it amazing that practically every single person I've talked to about him professes to hate his guts, yet he keeps managing to get himself re-elected every six years.

Hmmmmm.

I'm pretty ambivalent about him, but my personal theory is that he keeps getting elected because a lot of Nevadans think his position will give more favorable legislation to us that a newcomer wouldn't.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-29-2008 11:22:07 AM
quote:
Kegwen impressed everyone with:
It takes a sex or drug scandal to bring down a small town mayor. Not sure about governors, though.

Besides, I think a sex scandal would just help Palin amirite guys?

Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 11:23:18 AM
Well, she did get knocked up and elope.
Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 11:24:56 AM
but wait she's got good judgement and is ready to lead the fucking country.
Steven Steve
posted 09-29-2008 11:58:59 AM
Did she really?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 12:15:50 PM
quote:
Steven Steve's ass must be crazy:
Did she really?

1) She eloped.
2) She had a baby 7.5 months after being married.

Also-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMypXCUWMw

Keep in mind this woman was a sportscaster for a local TV station for a few years. If she knew the material, she should have no problem speaking about it in at least a passably understandable manor, drawing from her previous experience.

She can't.
She obviously doesn't.
She is a joke.

The last, most unmistakable sign that John McCain, a man that I would have happily voted for in 2000, has plainly sold his soul to the devil and given up every single thing he has ever believed in for the sake of being elected.

Run a honorable issues based campaign? Long gone.
Put together an experienced team of reform minded leaders for your administration? Yeah right.
Show no favor to the "agents of intolerance" evangelical theocrats? Well, at least until 2006.
Have open access for the media? Not any more.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 09-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-29-2008 12:56:36 PM
So, Blindy, are you voting for Obama/Biden?

Why?

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 01:24:23 PM
Even if my only reason was that they're not McCain/Palin, that would be enough to convince me.

But here's my main issues.

1- Another Republican president will likely mean enough conservative scotus members to overturn Row v Wade. And I'm pro-choice.

2- I think deregulation is what got us into this mess, and I don't think McCain has the aptitude to re-regulate wallstreet in a way that won't hamper the free market, if he re-regulates wallstreet at all. Obama, however, seems like the kind of guy who could get that done. McCain would just knee jerk fire people, if you listen to what he plans to do. He's not the kind of guy who tries to understand a problem before acting. Obama is.

3- I'm fiscally conservative, and Obama's proposed budgets are much closer to balanced than McCain, and he seems to actually understand that you can reduce expenses without just blanket killing entire programs. Obama also wants to simply the business tax code and close loopholes so we can actually have a reasonable tax rate.

4- My wife is a teacher, and McCain's education program is not even fully articulated, but from what is out there, it's pretty much just 100% supporting NCLB, which is single handedly fucking up the entire school system around here. Obama wants to reform the education system, and he's got some good policies articulated already.

5- I'm sick of dishonest, mudslinging attack ad campaigns, and at Obama's ads are much closer to reality than McCain, according to all the fact checking sites.

6- I get a much much bigger taxcut under Obama than under McCain.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 09-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 09-29-2008 01:32:10 PM
I'm going to vote the McCain ticket for purely selfish reasons: Job security.

And I dont like Obama. He strikes me as all fluff and no substance. And his campaign slogan makes me cringe. 'Change we can believe in'? 'Hope and change'?

Hope is all well and good, and I have no problem with people sitting and hoping their lives away. But hope doesnt pay the bills. It doesnt get the job done. Changing things in Washington is a worthy goal, and I'm not saying that he doesnt know how things work up there. He obviously does, being such a young senator and young candidate, but a lot of his ideas scare the shit out of me.

I dont believe in getting something in exchange for nothing, or very little. I think that if someone wants a job, they should have to prove themselves able, rather than having it handed over because the government said so. I think that healthcare should be the individual's concern, whether they get it through their place of work or not. If I didnt get my healthcare through my job, I would sure as hell give up a few luxuries to ensure than my family and I are covered.

I also dont think that owning a house is a right, which is what burns my ass the most lately. The government buyout is pissing me the hell off, and the worst part is both of the candidates jumped on THAT bandwagon. If you cant pay your mortgage, you should take steps to save your own damn self, instead of waiting for the taxpayers to do it for you. Cant handle your business? Get too many execs with golden parachutes? Cant manage your numbers or finances? Then you deserve what you get. These banks who cant continue to function on their own shouldnt be propped up by the government. This will not cause them to straighten up and fly right. There's no incentive to do so since this all equates to less than a slap on the wrist.

Its called a free market for a reason. The government getting more involved in the private sector is a definite cause for concern to me. The fact that this bill is trying to give the treasurer's office free reign to make 'fixes' in the market is even more of an alarm.

But thats just my opinion.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 01:39:06 PM
Which of Obama's policies scare the shit out of you?

I respect your right to have an opinion, but I'm a little confused as to what you're scared of given this post.

Azakias
posted 09-29-2008 02:01:35 PM
quote:
Blindy. stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Which of Obama's policies scare the shit out of you?

I respect your right to have an opinion, but I'm a little confused as to what you're scared of given this post.

Sorry, didnt realize how ambiguous I was.

What I dont like is his idea of 'affordable healthcare' for everyone, the fact that just about any time I hear him speaking (lie the debate on Friday) I dont really hear anything substantial coming from him, though this can be said of just about any politician. However, I have heard more substative comments from McCain than Obama.

I dont like how Obama seems to want to instate a lot of government programs. Personally, I am pro-choice, so that is once thing I DO agree with him on, but I am also a proponant for smaller government, less involved government, and less superfluous spending.

I dont hold with the 'punish the rich' for the sake of taking their money. If I heard him right on Friday, he said that those who make less than $250k will not be affected by his tax policy. Why? Why do those who have the ability to succeed have to pay for those with no initiative?

I'm around the $40k a year tax bracket, so my views on this are not through selfishness.

I dont think Obama has what it takes to lead the military's efforts abroad. I dont think he's got the right idea about dealing with foreign powers for dont like the U.S. on a fundimental level.

I am still leary about how he had surrounded himself with off the wall radicals, like Rev. Wright, and though he has divorced himself from that image as best he could, he only did it when it became politically expediant.

With me, his charisma and glibe tongue works opposite on me. I get the feeling that I cannot trust what he says, and that is not a person I want to work for.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Blindy.
posted 09-29-2008 02:32:39 PM
quote:
While you read this, I'm gonna go make out with Azakias's mom:
Sorry, didnt realize how ambiguous I was.

What I dont like is his idea of 'affordable healthcare' for everyone, the fact that just about any time I hear him speaking (lie the debate on Friday) I dont really hear anything substantial coming from him, though this can be said of just about any politician. However, I have heard more substative comments from McCain than Obama.

Really all Obama's plan is involves letting people buy health care at the government rate. Compare to McCain's plan, which is to force people to buy health care, and then give them a $5,000 tax credit. You know how forcing people to buy Car Insurance worked to lower car insurance rates, right? I mean, I understand the hesitation to get into a government run health care system, but this isn't government run, it's still private insurance. It's just being provided at a lower rate thanks to the government's buying power.

quote:
I dont like how Obama seems to want to instate a lot of government programs. Personally, I am pro-choice, so that is once thing I DO agree with him on, but I am also a proponant for smaller government, less involved government, and less superfluous spending.

You and I are aligned on this one. I'm for smaller government as well. Obama and McCain are both for bigger government, so I personally regard this as a wash.

quote:
I dont hold with the 'punish the rich' for the sake of taking their money. If I heard him right on Friday, he said that those who make less than $250k will not be affected by his tax policy. Why? Why do those who have the ability to succeed have to pay for those with no initiative?

I'm around the $40k a year tax bracket, so my views on this are not through selfishness.

Those who make less than 250,000 would get a tax cut, from current levels, those who make more than 250,000 would get a tax increase from current levels, which follows a scale such that it wouldn't be very measurable until the half a million dollar level or so. McCain's tax cuts would give the rich people a very sizable decrease and give middle class and poor people next to nothing.

I'm not going to argue the moral side of tax codes, but the fact of the matter is that we're not going to somehow get out of our economic crisis by giving rich people more money. You give the working and middle class more money, they are going to spend it and it is going to kick the economy back over. People who are behind on mortgage payments might be able to afford to catch up. People who can't afford to buy one of the many, many houses on the market at below market rates may be able to afford to do so. People who work for a living will be able to afford a better quality of life.

Look at the bottom line- Obama's tax cuts will cost less than McCain's tax cuts. The average tax cut is only .3%, versus 2% for McCain. It's much more fiscally responsible and won't increase our debt by nearly as much.

Also, I don't know that it's fair to say that everyone making under $250,000 a year has no initiative. Most small business owners don't make anywhere near that. Most Americans don't make anywhere near that. Only 5% of the country makes more than that. My dad makes nowhere near that and he's the hardest working person I know.

quote:
I dont think Obama has what it takes to lead the military's efforts abroad. I dont think he's got the right idea about dealing with foreign powers for dont like the U.S. on a fundimental level.

Détente is what ended the cold war peaceably. It is folly to think we can somehow make people start working with us by not talking to them. While I don't like McCain's stance on Russia, I do like Obama's approach of opening the lines of communication and applying economic pressures in order to bring about change. China was able to do it with North Korea, and it wasn't until we started acting all billy badass again that North Korea re-initiated it's nuclear program.

It's not to say that I don't understand the mentality. When people hate you, it's only natural to want to hate them back. I just don't know that you can build a foreign policy based on hating people.

quote:
I am still leary about how he had surrounded himself with off the wall radicals, like Rev. Wright, and though he has divorced himself from that image as best he could, he only did it when it became politically expediant.

With me, his charisma and glibe tongue works opposite on me. I get the feeling that I cannot trust what he says, and that is not a person I want to work for.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of his past associations, but I think they've been blown way out of proportion. As for his personality, I've got to say that I'm kind of excited to have a president that I can enjoy hearing speak again. Honestly, I liked McCain a lot for his honest, down to earth personality that we saw in the 2000 primaries and we see shades of these days, but that's not going to be enough to get him my vote. I've got to see him back to his old independent, straight talking, honest and open, freedom supporting, libertarian type self again.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 09-29-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-29-2008 02:43:59 PM
Some would say (or write whole books about the idea) that McCain willingly compromised what he stood for in a last ditch effort to achieve his lifelong dream of being president. I'm not terribly familiar with his personal aspirations, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched to compromise where your advisors tell you to if you feel that it's your last chance.
Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 09:08:00 PM
lol, looks like part of the reason the Couric interview was such a shitfest is because CBS edited the interview to make Palin look as bad as possible.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-30-2008 10:03:39 PM
they edited out the part where she couldn't name a single supreme court decision besides roe v wade. Conservative media bias guyz~~! They're apparently airing it tomorrow alongside Biden's response to the same question, which I'm sure will somehow include a foot in a mouth at one point

The fundamental thing behind Palin's appeal is the whole "everyman"/one of us thing and a dismissal of the necessity of knowing stuff. Even her supporters seem to agree that what she did so well in the Alaska debates was to charm her way through them with incredibly broad answers and be basically like "yeah but does joe sixpack care about all these facts and figures"

edit: added stuff and subtracted a "lol maradon" line that he's probably already responding to

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-30-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 09-30-2008 10:53:51 PM
quote:
Verily, Kegwen doth proclaim:

The fundamental thing behind Palin's appeal is the whole "everyman"/one of us thing and a dismissal of the necessity of knowing stuff. Even her supporters seem to agree that what she did so well in the Alaska debates was to charm her way through them with incredibly broad answers and be basically like "yeah but does joe sixpack care about all these facts and figures"

edit: added stuff and subtracted a "lol maradon" line that he's probably already responding to

Praising anti-intellectualism is probably the worst part about the Republican party (and America as a whole).

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-30-2008 11:09:01 PM
Most of the time it seems like a cheap move to rally the new base since evangelicals unfortunately defaulted into the party of small government and fiscal responsibility. There are shades of that party left, but they don't seem to define the Republican public image anymore. Just another facet of this country's weird culture war, I guess.

edit: I really don't buy the idea that all Republicans are crazy jingoist evangelicals who hate smart people, but a lot of them seem play one on TV to shore up votes

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-30-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-01-2008 05:08:14 AM
No, wait, what's that one thing where you think God created you to lord over everyone else who came from the muck?
Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2008 05:52:54 AM
Catholicism?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blindy.
posted 10-01-2008 08:27:42 AM
quote:
If Mr. Parcelan was a glacier, they'd be a fast one:
No, wait, what's that one thing where you think God created you to lord over everyone else who came from the muck?

Manifest Destiny?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2008 04:56:58 PM
Azakias is clearly voting for McCain because she identifies with Palin.

OH HO HO HO STEALTH INSULTS.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 10-01-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2008 05:30:46 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Duck Tales:

Azakias
posted 10-01-2008 06:13:24 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Nice try, but actually, Palin doesnt really do it for me. I'm pro-choice, she's pro life. Aside from what seems like a fresh perspective from someone away from the intrigues of Washngton, she doesnt really bring anything to the table that I find particularly impressive.

However, I do not consider myself to be voting for the best candidate, only the less destructive one. I have been of the opinion for the longest time that when it comes to the presidency, one of the most important positions in our nation, it is ultimately scraping the bottom of the barrel. Yeah, each candidate might have good qualities, but in order for them to get this far into the political arena, they have learned to play the game and they know what works, they know what to say, and they know how to word it to get the reaction the want, about 80% of the time.

Talk of change as much as you'd like. I'll be impressed when change actually occurs. I'll be even more impressed if said change is beneficial.

But, uh, yeah. Mortious is right. I'm voting for McCain because his VP doesnt have a penis. Hur hur hur.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-02-2008 02:04:22 AM
quote:
Blindy. thought about the meaning of life:
Manifest Destiny?

No, I mean that one where you don't want to take their stuff, but you want them dead.

Steven Steve
posted 10-02-2008 10:25:33 AM
Islam?

Maradon!
posted 10-02-2008 11:30:57 PM
See, if you'd taken the position that is rationally the most likely - that Palin had a single bad interview and is about as good at debate as any politician - you wouldn't have been wrong.

Instead you clung to some irrational, vitriolic crap that you picked up from Olbermann or Colbert, and you were wrong.

If you'd like to strive toward an accurate appraisal of reality, the first step is to start thinking for yourself, and I mean that in all seriousness. It doesn't even matter to me what conclusions you arrive at, only that you arrive at them rationally.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-02-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-03-2008 01:01:30 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
See, if you'd taken the position that is rationally the most likely - that Palin had a single bad interview and is about as good at debate as any politician - you wouldn't have been wrong.

Instead you clung to some irrational, vitriolic crap that you picked up from Olbermann or Colbert, and you were wrong.

If you'd like to strive toward an accurate appraisal of reality, the first step is to start thinking for yourself, and I mean that in all seriousness. It doesn't even matter to me what conclusions you arrive at, only that you arrive at them rationally.

My roommate has been getting me further and further into politics. And I agree with you, marabob; People should form their own opinions instead of simply regurgitating what they've seen on faux news or M$NBC.

.. But either way, I did laugh when Biden hit the "That's what I call the ultimate bridge to nowhere" line. Even if it was fed to him beforehand.

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-03-2008 01:51:48 AM
Early polls are showing Biden won in the eyes of undecideds. This is not surprising.

Biden could actually adapt and answer questions thoughtfully.

Palin was 95 % talking points. Biden pretty much answered every question, Palin dodged at least half that I noticed, probably to avoid going off script.

Examples: Which is a greater threat right now, the situation in Pakistan, or the situation in Iran?
Biden: at this moment, Pakistan. They have nukes right now that could reach Israel, Iran isn't close to any sort of n. weapons.
Palin: well, booooth countries are bad.
Me: No shit both are bad, that is implied in the question.

Example: What is one position that you once held, that, with further information, you changed.
Biden: Something about the quaifications of judges, and the quaifications he learned were important in judicial appointments.
Palin: I have never changed positions on anything important

Later, she gives the most generic answer about nuclear proliferation possible, then ends it with, "But can we talk about Afghanistan?"

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 06:54:06 AM
So pretty much no matter what happens, you're going to keep believing in your preconceived conclusion.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2008 07:02:32 AM
I can't tell who Maradon is talking to anymore.
Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 07:32:42 AM
There's only two possible people that I could be responding to, and my post would only make sense in response to one of them. It really isn't hard to figure out.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-03-2008 07:35:42 AM
Palin did pretty well. She had a zone of expertise and, if any questioned wandered the topic away from this area (or areas), she deftly squired it back to a place where she knew her stuff. I thought both candidates did pretty well, but as in the case of the first debate, it was nothing to write home about.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 10-03-2008 09:18:14 AM
Do you want to know the moment Palin completely lost the debate?

quote:
Biden: Look, I understand what it's like to be a single parent. When my wife and daughter died and my two sons were gravely injured, I understand what it's like as a parent to wonder what it's like if your kid's going to make it.

I understand what it's like to sit around the kitchen table with a father who says, "I've got to leave, champ, because there's no jobs here. I got to head down to Wilmington. And when we get enough money, honey, we'll bring you down."

I understand what it's like. I'm much better off than almost all Americans now. I get a good salary with the United States Senate. I live in a beautiful house that's my total investment that I have. So I -- I am much better off now.

But the notion that somehow, because I'm a man, I don't know what it's like to raise two kids alone, I don't know what it's like to have a child you're not sure is going to -- is going to make it -- I understand.

NAILED IT. Palin's ONLY positive addition to McCain's ticket is that she was demonstrably more in touch with the every day American than McCain. She's not a billion years old, she's not married to a billionaire, she's got a kid in the army and she's going to be a 40 year old grandmother. The material practically writes itself. But Biden, with that single response, became about a billion times more sympathetic. Palin sold herself all wrong. She should have tried to press her strength and show her connection. All she did was mention the words soccer and hockey and mom a few times, without really making the case.

And the fact that she was able to speak for an hour without being unable to name the magazines she reads or a single supreme court case besides Row V. Wade is just a testament to how well the republicans were able to adjust the format to protect their candidate. Follow up questions were not part of it. Neither were questions from candidate to candidate. Anyone can rattle off a prepared and memorized statement, including complete idiots like Palin, but she has shown us in every single interview she's given us since she was nominated that the second you try to dig a little deeper, you are faced with the vast empty void that fills the space between her ears.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-03-2008 at 09:28 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: