EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: h@l0 3 thr3@d!!!
Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 03:04:36 PM
I noticed he made it sound even more like an old man than before
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Dave
)_(
posted 10-01-2007 04:20:06 PM
quote:
Alidane had this to say about Cuba:
iirc, the books simply stated that he wasn't the strongest or the fastest.

He wasn't the strongest at any one thing, but he was the most balanced, and did seem to be a natural leader.

Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 04:55:22 PM
Karl says:
I played through the final stage on halo 3 again earlier, the legendary ending is a clip that comes up after the clip after the end credits
Karl says:
it shows the ship drifting towards a artificial planet
Karl says:
like a deathstar
Steven says:
an artificial planet eh
Steven says:
are you sure it's artificial and not destroyed
Karl says:
no
Karl says:
it's a ball shaped planet
Karl says:
looking as if it's build out of technology
Karl says:
or totally overunned by advanced structure
Karl says:
and it does hint at a sequel
Karl says:
since there's like this dramatic foreboding music and all
Steven says:
sigh
Steven says:
if only someone I knew who actually read the books had finished it on legendary
Karl says:
just play the final checkpoint and see, you won't need to play the whole stage
Steven says:
I can't do that of course
Karl says:
ha ha
Karl says:
if it doesn't end with masterchief dying
Karl says:
then I don't see why there can't be a sequel
Karl says:
they'll always want to milk the product
Steven says:
it could have been a marathon reference or something
Karl says:
why can't you Steve?
Steven says:
because I haven't beaten the level on legendary
Steven says:
yes
Steven says:
it is a marathon reference
Karl says:
won't it work just by selecting the final level, changing to "legendary" and skip to the final stage?
Steven says:
no
Steven says:
anyway I've seen the ending now
Steven says:
haha
Steven says:
it is a marathon reference
Karl says:
must you complete the whole darn level?
Steven says:
yes
Karl says:
What is the marathon?
Steven says:
there will be no sequel
Steven says:
the marathon is a space vessel crafted 200 years after the supposed chronology of halo
Steven says:
it's an old game series
Steven says:
by bungie
Steven says:
that takes place in the 2700s
Steven says:
you play as a cybernetic soldier with a suit of armor like the master chief's
Steven says:
in other words what they're saying is that the master chief is in fact the guy from marathon
Karl says:
so he had driftet for 143 years or something then
Steven says:
so your "sequel" is a game that came out in 1994
Karl says:
eeuuh
Karl says:
I know nothing about the halo universe
Steven says:
yes
Steven says:
all of halo took place within like 2552-2553
Karl says:
so he continued his adventure in the Marathon thing?
Steven says:
there's this thing that bungie has
Steven says:
where they have this "eternal hero"
Steven says:
all their main characters bear some resemblance
Steven says:
and they use the same terminology to describe them in all the stories
Steven says:
there was another game called pathways into darkness that featured a master chief-like character also
Karl says:
so marathon is the sequel to halo?
Steven says:
I guess that's the way it looks
Karl says:
then it makes sense
Steven says:
and the ending to the marathon story was way more conclusive than halo
Karl says:
but I didn't know that
Karl says:
I haven't played it
Karl says:
or read about it
Steven says:
you'll probably never play it
Karl says:
no
Karl says:
never
Steven says:
so I might as well just show you the final screen from marathon: infinity
Steven says:
haha
Karl says:
yes
Steven says:
as soon as this site loads
Steven says:
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/_images/mifinalscreen.gif
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-01-2007 05:16:01 PM
I don't think the main character from Marathon is definitively the Master Chief; there are some links, yes, but not really enough evidence to support it.

The planet is most likely Onyx, which is the subject of the last book that came out. I haven't actually read it, but apparently there are a bunch of Spartan III's and Dr. Halsey hiding on it.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 10-01-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 05:17:23 PM
Well I actually read the book, and it's not Onyx, haha

Onyx disintegrated at the end of Ghosts of Onyx, and in the ending movie of Halo 3 (as far as I can see from these shitty Youtube videos), you can see the giant Marathon logo on the side of the structure. This has to be the Marathon.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 10-01-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-01-2007 05:41:31 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Well I actually read the book, and it's not Onyx, haha

Onyx disintegrated at the end of Ghosts of Onyx, and in the ending movie of Halo 3 (as far as I can see from these shitty Youtube videos), you can see the giant Marathon logo on the side of the structure. This has to be the Marathon.

Wait, what? Onyx never exploded, Kurt just vaporized the Covenant invasion force and then the Sentinels activated the shield around Onyx, didn't they? I'm gonna have to go through it again...

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Dave
)_(
posted 10-01-2007 06:01:34 PM
Not exactly... I lent the book to a friend, but I believe Onyx had a gateway to the arc. A small complete ball that had a planet on the inner surface to act as a bomb shelter for when the halo rings went off. I also think it was in a different dimension or something as well. At the end of the 4th book, he set off a nuke after the portal closed while holding off an army of covenant so they could not reopen the portal. The metal ball could be shielding for the inner planet... and would fit the ending of the 4th book.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-01-2007 06:39:08 PM
halo has a story?
Dave
)_(
posted 10-01-2007 07:03:23 PM
Well the books do yes. The halo series of books are very good. I would personally skip through most of the halo book that takes place during the first game though. It was poorly written I think due to using a different writer.

Dave fucked around with this message on 10-01-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 10:18:07 PM
quote:
Dave was naked while typing this:
Not exactly... I lent the book to a friend, but I believe Onyx had a gateway to the arc. A small complete ball that had a planet on the inner surface to act as a bomb shelter for when the halo rings went off. I also think it was in a different dimension or something as well. At the end of the 4th book, he set off a nuke after the portal closed while holding off an army of covenant so they could not reopen the portal. The metal ball could be shielding for the inner planet... and would fit the ending of the 4th book.

The planet is clearly not Onyx though ha ha, unless the Forerunner figured out some way to magic bag a planet (since the shield planet's dimensions were described as far larger than that of Onyx). Also, why would it play scary music (and have the Marathon symbol on it, I cannot see exactly) if it were not the Marathon?

Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 10:23:30 PM
There were some good points brought up here (besides the dumb faggots)

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=549532

Spoilers

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 10-02-2007 05:26:21 PM
Pathways Into Darkness is considered by many to be the beginning of the "Bungie Mythos", a large timeline which connects this and later Bungie games.

The most salient of these connections is the nature of the "waking god" and the helpful aliens who inform the United States government of its nature. The "waking god" is believed to be a — or the — W'rkncacnter, a race or singular entity in the Marathon series which shares similar properties, primarily ancient origins, incredible power and the capacity to cause destruction on a global or cosmic scale simply by existing.

Also, the aliens who inform the US of the waking god are the Jjaro, an ancient alien race that is featured heavily in the Marathon and (as some fans believe) Halo series, although they are never mentioned by name in the latter.

There are also connections which are not directly spoken, but many believe. Although it is never directly stated, the Marathon character is rumored to be a cyborg, formed from the dead bodies of soldiers. This character feels as if he has done certain things before, or as if he has dreamed about them. These 'certain things' match up well with nearly identical events which the main character from Pathways experienced. However, former Bungie Head Alex Seropian has stated that the protagonists of Marathon and Halo are the same person, indicating that the Marathon cyborg cannot be the dead soldiers as he is Master Chief.

The most subtle of the connections between Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon lie in a single computer terminal in the latter game. While seemingly there to provide proof that a human AI is distorting human history data (to prevent invading aliens from knowing of Earth's location) the text is actually a highly corrupted version of the original Pathways Into Darkness story.

Anakha's Wii fucked around with this message on 10-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.

"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 10-02-2007 05:28:25 PM
damn crappy work mouse....

Anakha's Wii fucked around with this message on 10-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.

"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-02-2007 05:35:04 PM
so they're gonna remake marathon in the halo engine
Maradon!
posted 10-02-2007 08:03:40 PM
Does anybody know where I can find the complete text on the terminals?

It's kinda gay how you have a limited time to read the first bit before it ushers you off to the second bit.

Alaan
posted 10-02-2007 08:23:57 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii said this about your mom:
There are also connections which are not directly spoken, but many believe. Although it is never directly stated, the Marathon character is rumored to be a cyborg, formed from the dead bodies of soldiers. This character feels as if he has done certain things before, or as if he has dreamed about them. These 'certain things' match up well with nearly identical events which the main character from Pathways experienced. However, former Bungie Head Alex Seropian has stated that the protagonists of Marathon and Halo are the same person, indicating that the Marathon cyborg cannot be the dead soldiers as he is Master Chief.

I'd like a source because on the Bungie Website it says just the opposite. There is no connection between the two universes, other than shared themes.

Tier
posted 10-02-2007 08:27:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
Does anybody know where I can find the complete text on the terminals?

It's kinda gay how you have a limited time to read the first bit before it ushers you off to the second bit.

terminals? as in Marathon's story?

Alaan
posted 10-02-2007 08:28:09 PM
quote:
Asha'man stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
terminals? as in Marathon's story?

No. As in the Terminals in Halo 3.

Steven Steve
posted 10-02-2007 08:43:58 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Anakha's Wii stammered:
Pathways Into Darkness is considered by many to be the beginning of the "Bungie Mythos", a large timeline which connects this and later Bungie games.

The most salient of these connections is the nature of the "waking god" and the helpful aliens who inform the United States government of its nature. The "waking god" is believed to be a — or the — W'rkncacnter, a race or singular entity in the Marathon series which shares similar properties, primarily ancient origins, incredible power and the capacity to cause destruction on a global or cosmic scale simply by existing.

Also, the aliens who inform the US of the waking god are the Jjaro, an ancient alien race that is featured heavily in the Marathon and (as some fans believe) Halo series, although they are never mentioned by name in the latter.

The most subtle of the connections between Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon lie in a single computer terminal in the latter game. While seemingly there to provide proof that a human AI is distorting human history data (to prevent invading aliens from knowing of Earth's location) the text is actually a highly corrupted version of the original Pathways Into Darkness story.

Don't forget that the Marathon man also went through a bunch of time travel and a bunch of other crazy nonsense in Marathon: Infinity so assuming the identity of the guy from Pathways Into Darkness and Halo is somewhat permissible (Quantum Leap)

Greenlit
posted 10-02-2007 08:59:59 PM
So is he the guy from Marathon or not

Because if so that'd be kinda cool but otherwise Halo still sucks

Steven Steve
posted 10-02-2007 09:42:55 PM
Yes

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-02-2007 10:02:38 PM
Well I just finished Halo 2. Haha no freakin' way I'm getting Halo 3. MS isn't getting a dime/penny of my money.

I enjoyed Halo because it was like a proper PC FPS on a console with superb timing and story, but playing Halo 2 was like having my thumbs crushed repeatedly in a car door. Let's see:

• Dumbed down grind-fests between boring cutscenes.
  • Those grind-fests being square rooms where they just throw bad guys at you repeatedly.
  • No logical thought to the levels. They're just.. there.. for the sake of being there.
  • No explanation whatsoever for the gravemind. Is it flood? If so.. how can it take control of the 2nd halo's monitor? Flood can't control nor infect robotic systems.
  • No explanation whatsoever for how the flood was released on the second Halo. They were just "hay guys we're the flood hi lol".
  • 1 teeny tiny Earth cruiser seems to have brought 5 billion tanks with it which fall to the flood in seconds and pepper all the outdoor maps for no apparent reason.
  • See above, but replace human vehicles with Covenant vehicles. They're all over the place for no reason, even in places where they shouldn't be and places that make absolutely no sense.

Dear god I've never played a bigger pile of shit in my whole life. Seems like Halo was ruined the moment it ceased being a single game and became a cheesy franchise.

I think I may have enjoyed it more if I removed my brain and ran through the game banging the butt of my gun against my head and going "HURRRRR".

Mortious fucked around with this message on 10-02-2007 at 10:05 PM.

• Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 10-02-2007 10:07:42 PM
    master chief doesn't need to know it so you don't need to know it

that's the whole philosophy

edit: halo 2's single player still sucked

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-02-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 10-02-2007 10:58:31 PM
    doesn't change the fact that halo 3 is still pretty A+ multiplayer

i've officially put more hours into it now than i did the campaign, making up for over half the cost

well worth it even if i didn't like the story (which i did)

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-02-2007 11:11:32 PM
    I don't really like playing with the random xbox live crowd (which at the best of times can be described as a frat house with an unlimited beer supply and no rules) so I really hate games with crappy single player stories.

But I hear multiplayer is good, yeah. I'd only play it on a LAN with friends though.

Anakha's Wii
    Pancake
    posted 10-02-2007 11:22:02 PM
    In Game Informer issue 172 page 109 it is said that, by Alex Seropian, "the Master Chief and Marathon's protagonist are one and the same."
    Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-02-2007 11:30:53 PM
    quote:
    A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:
    I don't really like playing with the random xbox live crowd (which at the best of times can be described as a frat house with an unlimited beer supply and no rules) so I really hate games with crappy single player stories.

But I hear multiplayer is good, yeah. I'd only play it on a LAN with friends though.

or you could get on live and play it with goons/ecers that don't suck.

Steven Steve
    posted 10-02-2007 11:36:36 PM
    Hint: it's not worth it

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-03-2007 08:00:57 AM
    quote:
    Y.O.T.C said:
    or you could get on live and play it with goons/ecers that don't suck.

I can't be bothered paying for Gold.

Seriously, I don't multiplayer enough to justify it.

Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 10-03-2007 01:23:43 PM
    quote:
    A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:
    I can't be bothered paying for Gold.

Seriously, I don't multiplayer enough to justify it.

Why did you buy a 360 then?

At least half the time I'm on mine, I'm at least in a chat with someone from work or one of my friends. Even just playing one player games, I open a chat and talk to someone. (Although that usually just leads to me yelping into the microphone because I'm a little girl when it comes to playing Bioshock. )

Steven Steve
    posted 10-03-2007 01:59:26 PM
    man you gay mack

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-03-2007 02:32:09 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Gainsborough said:

Mass Effect and The Force Unleashed, but there have been other games that have been awesome too. I enjoyed The Darkness a lot.

Skaw
    posted 10-03-2007 03:21:54 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Gainsborough got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

At least half the time I'm on mine, I'm at least in a chat with someone from work or one of my friends. Even just playing one player games, I open a chat and talk to someone. (Although that usually just leads to me yelping into the microphone because I'm a little girl when it comes to playing Bioshock. )

We need to play bomberman again.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-03-2007 04:23:41 PM
    Steven Steve
    posted 10-03-2007 04:28:18 PM
    Yes (except for the story part, and claiming the end was easier when he clearly didn't beat the game)

Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 10-03-2007 04:31:40 PM
    Halo games are truly all about multiplayer. Sorry, single player fanatics, but this game isn't for you no matter what idiot fanboys might try to say about the way the fiction is presented in the games.
    Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 10-03-2007 04:59:52 PM
    Halo 3 is very good filler between now and The Orange Box.
    Dave
    )_(
    posted 10-03-2007 05:32:29 PM
    quote:
    Stalwart Steve had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
    Yes (except for the story part, and claiming the end was easier when he clearly didn't beat the game)

The end boss was the easiest "boss fight" I've ever come against in all my years of gaming. Heck, Hogger from wow is a tougher fight than that.

Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 10-03-2007 05:36:15 PM
    quote:
    Everyone wondered WTF when Dave wrote:
    The end boss was the easiest "boss fight" I've ever come against in all my years of gaming. Heck, Hogger from wow is a tougher fight than that.

halo doesn't do boss battles. That was just a story event. Would fighting a fucking monitor be tough? I didn't want him to hop into a giant mecha or something and have to fight that. That'd be dumb. It made sense.

Dave
    )_(
    posted 10-03-2007 05:43:17 PM
    quote:
    Kegwen had this to say about John Romero:
    halo doesn't do boss battles. That was just a story event.

Uhhh Remember the ending of Halo 2 by chance? Heck, it also had 2 or 3 mini bosses/level bosses as well.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: