EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: h@l0 3 thr3@d!!!
Alaan
posted 09-29-2007 01:29:28 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mr. Gainsborough wrote:
Spikers are pretty cool, but I like not having to reload my Plasma rifle better and it seems I just get more life out of them. Spikers only carry what 140 shots? Every tick of Plasma energy has 2 or 3 shots.

Spiker burns through ammo like no tomorrow, but in most areas lots of it to go around.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-29-2007 01:30:25 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Alaan wrote:
Spiker burns through ammo like no tomorrow, but in most areas lots of it to go around.

Yeah, I do notice that. I dunno, I've always liked the Plasma Rifle.

Steven Steve
posted 09-29-2007 02:11:23 AM
the plasma rifle is homofageous maximus
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-29-2007 02:16:15 AM
Apply the homophage.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-29-2007 04:01:07 AM
fire homoton torpedos
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-29-2007 11:10:38 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I very strongly disagree with that sentiment.

It's not accurate enough to get reliable headshots like you can with the BR, and it doesn't really have a whole lot of stopping power either. It beats the crap out of the SMG, but you can dual wield the SMG and that means a plasma pistol and that means killing shielded targets with absolute ease, which you can't do with the AR.

I guess I'm just finding a complete lack of a niche for this weapon in a world with dual wielding and battle rifles.

If you fire the SMG continuously, your crosshairs will be forced slowly upwards. It's even worse with dual SMGs fired at the same time. The AR doesn't do this.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Maradon!
posted 09-29-2007 11:43:13 AM
quote:
Ruvyening:
If you fire the SMG continuously, your crosshairs will be forced slowly upwards. It's even worse with dual SMGs fired at the same time. The AR doesn't do this.

The thing about the SMG, though, is that you'll usually have a plasma pistol too, so you won't need to actually shoot the SMG much to kill something.

Anyone else think it's funny that the plasma pistol also blows all the armor off the armored brutes?

It's like *zap-POOF* "AH FUCK MY CLOTHES FELL OFF"

If only there were such a thing IRL.

I'm playing the single player game on heroic right now. I haven't touched Live yet because I want to finish the SP campaign first but I do plan on playing.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-29-2007 06:09:45 PM
Playing through Halo 1 and 2 on the PC, a friend had them so that was handy, let me copy them and use his keys. Then gave him them back and use a mini-image to bypass copy protection, boom, 2 games for free. Whee.

I haven't had chance to play Halo 2 yet (only got the copies this morning) but I'm actually pretty suprised at how much I'm enjoying the original Halo. I'm cheating with health and ammo, obviously, since I just want the story from the first one. The graphics don't look too bad at 1600x1200 widescreen for such an old game.

If I enjoy Halo 2 too then I'll get Halo 3 for xbox 360 and play through properly.

Steven Steve
posted 09-29-2007 06:23:00 PM
quote:
Ruvyen stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Yet more crap that's inconsistent with the story

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Alaan
posted 09-29-2007 06:31:16 PM
It is kind of funny that a guy that can flip a tank can't control an SMG fully.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-29-2007 06:39:07 PM
I haven't noticed the SMGs kicking nearly as much in 3, if at all, but I haven't used them much.
Maradon!
posted 09-29-2007 07:55:28 PM
As I understand it, it doesn't matter how buff you are, an automatic weapon will always climb as you fire it because there just isn't enough time for the gun to fall back into it's original trajectory before another round is fired.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-29-2007 09:07:16 PM
Fuck the flood is annoying in the original game.
Greenlit
posted 09-29-2007 09:21:23 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
As I understand it, it doesn't matter how buff you are, an automatic weapon will always climb as you fire it because there just isn't enough time for the gun to fall back into it's original trajectory before another round is fired.

What? No.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-29-2007 09:28:16 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about (_|_):
What? No.

So theoretically someone could hold down the trigger on a SMG similar to the Halo SMG and hold it mostly steady with one hand if they were badass enough? Color me impressed

Greenlit
posted 09-29-2007 09:36:19 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about in regards to Halo because Halo sucks pretty hard

but weapon recoil is not some magical event that affects a bullet's trajectory

Steven Steve
posted 09-29-2007 10:34:31 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Maradon!:

No, according to the story, the Master Chief's suits have profiles for all the UNSC weapons that allow for recoil compensation whenever he fires them, but this doesn't happen in the game. Also he's supposed to be able to run like 40 MPH, but he doesn't do that either.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-29-2007 11:15:45 PM
It also says that he's the weakest and slowest of the Spartans.

He was just the luckiest.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-29-2007 11:48:14 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough posted

It also says that he's the weakest and slowest of the Spartans.

He was just the luckiest.

iirc, the books simply stated that he wasn't the strongest or the fastest.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-29-2007 11:50:58 PM
quote:
Alidane Model 2000 was programmed to say:
iirc, the books simply stated that he wasn't the strongest or the fastest.

same dif, and i didn't read the novels, i'm just saying what i heard

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 09-29-2007 11:59:27 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Greenlit said:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about in regards to Halo because Halo sucks pretty hard

but weapon recoil is not some magical event that affects a bullet's trajectory

True. But on automatic weapons, you are not feeling recoil. What you feel is the bolt or slide kick, which is different. And, which does have an effect on the constant movement of the gun in the direction of its sites. The cyclic rate of most automatic weapons is fast enough that your arm cannot compensate for it, and your elbow bends, with the next round firing before you resume your shooting position.

Which is why the rise is less on a rifle, or mounted weapon, that it would be on a sub, or even a semi-auto pistol.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-30-2007 12:09:14 PM
Theres a pretty big difference between "not the stronger or fastest" and "slowests and weakest" Gains.

Kaiote, I think the complaint is that any gun that Master Chief (weird rank for a combat soldier) fires is like a mounted gun from the strength of his suit. His physical strength, such that the kicks force isnt going to override his arm.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Steven Steve
posted 09-30-2007 02:50:01 PM
I already explained this, there's no need to discuss it any further

And he's a Master Chief because he's been in the Navy since he was like 5

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-30-2007 07:27:29 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about Cuba:
Theres a pretty big difference between "not the stronger or fastest" and "slowests and weakest" Gains.

Kaiote, I think the complaint is that any gun that Master Chief (weird rank for a combat soldier) fires is like a mounted gun from the strength of his suit. His physical strength, such that the kicks force isnt going to override his arm.

You would know, being the slowest and weakest, huh?

Steven Steve
posted 09-30-2007 09:45:06 PM

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-30-2007 09:51:24 PM
yeah not so much

you know how much he sucked in the NES game? everyone's HP was static and at around 30-50 depending

raistlin had 10.

Steven Steve
posted 09-30-2007 11:15:40 PM
gay old Raistlin

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2007 11:34:39 PM
When you think about it, Raistlin's motivation for his entire life was basically penis envy.
Steven Steve
posted 10-01-2007 12:38:50 AM
Sometimes I relate to Raistlin ;(

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-01-2007 01:33:05 AM
Maradon!
posted 10-01-2007 07:06:06 AM
"A noble attempt, brother!" cried the elite, "but your break dancing is no match for my john travolta disco dancing!"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-01-2007 10:01:47 AM
quote:
Quoth Maradon!:
"A noble attempt, brother!" cried the elite, "but your break dancing is no match for my john travolta disco dancing!"

ftw

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2007 11:57:43 AM
Ok.. I played through Halo 1 and thought it was great. Believable acting, good solid story, well-placed cutscenes, well-designed missions.

But I'm playing through Halo 2 now and I'm about to uninstall it in disgust. There's a 3 second long cutscene every fucking 10 minutes that makes me stop playing and stare at the screen for a bit, the levels are just "here's a box-shaped level, kill stuff, move on", there's no logical level structure like there was in Halo 1, it's driving me insane.. go to target.. it's not the target.. go somewhere else.. still not the target.. do a loop-de-fucking-loop around all the places you've just been.. finally reached the target. Halo 2 is a god damn time-wasting fagfest.

So is Halo 3 more like 1 or 2? If it's more like 2 then MS aren't getting any money from me. 2 is boring me to tears.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-01-2007 11:58:46 AM
It's a lot more like Halo 1, but with better level design and more environment variety.

Halo 2's single player was pretty goddamn bland, I agree.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2007 12:08:19 PM
I guess I'll slog through it then just to get the story for when I buy Halo 3.

The cutscenes every 10 minutes are getting really fucking irritating though.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-01-2007 01:05:21 PM
If it makes you feel better Halo 2 was like a 5 hour game.
Dave
)_(
posted 10-01-2007 01:12:01 PM
You are better off buying the Halo books than Halo 3.
The story side of halo 3 was so bland and bad, and the game was stupid easy.

There was a few "oh that's cool" moments, but it was it in the first few levels. After that I was just hoping it to be over.

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 10-01-2007 02:04:59 PM
Halo 2 was MS going, "HEY GUYS, YOU CAN PLAY ON LIVE NOW!"
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-01-2007 02:15:55 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii attempted to be funny by writing:
Halo 2 was MS going, "HEY GUYS, YOU CAN PLAY ON LIVE NOW!"

It succeeded pretty spectacularly in that regard. As far as matchmaking goes (as opposed to server browsing), Halo is still the gold standard. The only problem with Halo multiplayer is the community.

Halo's focus is on multiplayer. Story is a distant focus compared to the experience of being the guy with the gun in the thick of the action. You see the story that goes on around you, but Bungie has shied away from the cutscenes showing you what's happening halfway across the galaxy that get you up to speed on the action that your character wouldn't really be aware of in the first place.

Master Chief goes into cryostasis or whatever at some unknown point in space with no personal resolution on what happened on Earth. I'm surprised we got the Earth/Arbiter cutscene, really. Much of Halo's story is given through hints and assumptions that you gather based on what the Master Chief happens to be involved in.

Given that, I had no problem with the way the story was told. I have low standards for video game stories and voice acting. It wasn't phenomenal, but it wasn't awful in any way. Don't let hype shape your expectations. Halo 3 is better than Halo 2 in every conceivable way, but it's not groundshaking in its storytelling.

edit: durrr proofreading :downs:

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-01-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Alaan
posted 10-01-2007 02:52:21 PM
Is it just me or is the Chief's voice not quite as awesome as it used to be?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: