EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: h@l0 3 thr3@d!!!
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2007 05:45:10 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Dave said:
Uhhh Remember the ending of Halo 2 by chance? Heck, it also had 2 or 3 mini bosses/level bosses as well.

that was a pretty forgettable encounter

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-03-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 05:51:05 PM
quote:
Dave had this to say about Duck Tales:
The end boss was the easiest "boss fight" I've ever come against in all my years of gaming. Heck, Hogger from wow is a tougher fight than that.

But unless you were playing on gaymax difficulty (see my Gears of War thread for a parallel) then surely you must have died 1000 times in the two final levels.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2007 05:52:53 PM
Halo is mind-numbingly boring on Normal
Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 05:54:47 PM
But the higher difficulties are just the same thing over and over again so it follows that the higher difficulties are even more boring, haha
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2007 05:59:28 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Stalwart Steve:
But the higher difficulties are just the same thing over and over again so it follows that the higher difficulties are even more boring, haha

Yeah it sure is fun just plowing through huge groups of enemies with no challenge at all. Fun times! I like Itagaki's (Team Ninja) take on difficulty:

quote:
Tomonobu Itagaki posted via Kotaku:
He calmed our fears, saying "It would be against my philosophy to dumb it down just to make it easy. Games should be challenging, that's what makes them fun. You have to keep that element of forcing the player to go up against the game, and lose, but get better, so that they can conquer it. There are ways that you can do that, but make it more approachable."

Plowing through everything first shot is dumb and boring

Dave
)_(
posted 10-03-2007 06:03:13 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve painfully thought these words up:
But unless you were playing on gaymax difficulty (see my Gears of War thread for a parallel) then surely you must have died 1000 times in the two final levels.

Maybe 5-10 times max... it was pretty easy. Melee attacks are so freak'n powerfull in Halo 3, half the time I just beat things down. I had more challenge replaying halo 1 on my pc legendary difficulty.

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 06:06:09 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Tron:
Plowing through everything first shot is dumb and boring

Perhaps you are right: it is more "intelligent" to sit around playing the same length of game tailored poorly to your skill the entire day. My brother did just that, recently, trying to beat Ninja Gaiden, and guess what happened!? The disc became unreadable after he killed Alma hahaha! He never beat the fucking game!

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 06:11:12 PM
This is just yet another extension of fake difficulty. Sure it may be beatable, but if a difficulty's draw point is "you'll die a lot" then it's fake entertainment, unless of course you like relying on odds for entertainment even more than in real life. I don't really see how anyone can brag over gaming skill anyway for christ's sake, since it's a video game there is nothing to brag about. Games must be paced so that you succeed rather than die horribly time and again, and if they fail to be entertaining when it just so happens that you win the game as intended then the game is failure.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2007 06:12:48 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Perhaps you are right: it is more "intelligent" to sit around playing the same length of game tailored poorly to your skill the entire day. My brother did just that, recently, trying to beat Ninja Gaiden, and guess what happened!? The disc became unreadable after he killed Alma hahaha! He never beat the fucking game!

Well, let's take Half-Life 2 as an example. That game was fucking easy even on hard, so why would I want to make it even more of a joke by being on normal or easy? It just seems boring to me to plow straight through something without really trying.

Ninja Gaiden is the extreme example, of course, but I personally don't mind replaying a section a few times. If I died then I probably did something stupid to deserve it. It's challenging for me to figure out better ways to overcome situations like that. I guess a lot of people don't agree with that, but that's what I enjoy as long as it's well designed and not over the top with stupid fake difficulty like RAAM was

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 06:25:47 PM
What was even more annoying was how I kept dying after the Brute chief captured me, fuck, you remember that guys? I mean I primed the grenade and everything but there were just too many brutes. Man that was intense! Remember?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2007 06:33:37 PM
quote:
Verily, Stalwart Steve doth proclaim:
What was even more annoying was how I kept dying after the Brute chief captured me, fuck, you remember that guys? I mean I primed the grenade and everything but there were just too many brutes. Man that was intense! Remember?

yay for marketing people not being allowed access to the story

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 06:36:18 PM
I was thea when da masta chief pwimed his gwanade

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-03-2007 07:33:16 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve posted

This is just yet another extension of fake difficulty.

I'm kind of interested in your version of real difficulty, then.

You don't really "die over and over" on Heroic, unless you suck. Legendary can be cheesy, especially with the Jackal snipers, but they're only really prevalent on Sierra 117, so...

And Ninja Gaiden is the epitome of balance and anyone who says otherwise sucks.

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 10:11:25 PM
I was referring to playing on any difficulty where you have to play over and over again - especially if you don't have a choice, it's just fake difficult because it relies on your patience rather than actually tailoring the game to be challenging but allowing you to be ultimately successful.

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2007 10:21:28 PM
Legendary doesn't require you to play the same spot over and over any more or less than any other difficulty, it just requires you to be a whole lot more resourceful with the equipment you're given (I thought the bubble shield was totally useless on Heroic, but it's already gotten me through seemingly impossible situations on legendary) and also a great deal more aware of your surroundings.

So far the only thing about legendary that's pissing me off is the fucking snipers. They are way, way disproportionately dangerous. This is true of the lower difficulties, too, but it's more noticeable on legendary because a jackal with a fucking carbine will one-shot kill you right through full shield about 60% of the time and one with an actual sniper rifle will drop you in a shot about 80% of the time, 100% if they actually manage to hit you anywhere on your entire body.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-03-2007 10:25:26 PM
Snipers are indeed fucking broken on Legendary.

By the way, cheap 13 months of live, if you're willing to wait for shipping, and willing to sign up for a google checkout thing: http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-live-12-month-gold-subscription-card-free-1-month-bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2007 11:28:05 PM
It's like playing Where's Waldo? and an FPS at the same time, except you have about 9 seconds to find Waldo before he kills you.
Tier
posted 10-04-2007 12:00:22 AM
all you people whining about game difficulty need to beat shinobi on Super.

wyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Maradon!
posted 10-04-2007 10:45:22 PM
I actually think Halo 3 is a whole, whole lot more fun on legendary.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: