EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A fiddler on the roof
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-16-2006 04:43:45 AM
quote:
Almond had this to say about (_|_):
"Take it from somebody who works a dangerous job," present tense isn't it?

I'd consider being a member of a branch of the US Military currently in residence in a foreign country that has had a history as of late of being rather... inhospitable to Americans somewhat dangerous.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-16-2006 07:30:44 AM
First off...

I don't fool around in the lab anywhere near the chemicals, expensive and dangerous machinery, etc. It's when people are putting trays up or whatever. And that's not even the point I was getting at; I was pointing out it breaks up the monotony. But since I opened the door to talking about our jobs...

While I respect what you do, Sage, and I agree that someone fooling around in your line of work could seriously screw up the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of people, Evercrest is not where you work, nor is it even where I work. Lives of people aren't at stake here dependant on whether we follow the rules. Following the rules might scale up from micro to macro, but the logic at the macro level does not necessarily scale down to the micro level.

I've read the EC rules, too. And I've been here for past infractions against the rules. Remember: part of the reason I got de-modded was that I was following, without complaint from the populace, too strict an interpretation of the board rules. Following the board rules is the ideal, and the understanding I've learned to take from them is that if you break the rules, you take the chance of being punished.

...But I've also taken from it the realization that punishment may or may not be severe. In the case of gimmick accounts not used to particularly heinous effect (and not all gimmick accounts are heinous; I have a second board account that could be interpreted as a role playing gimmick), they might get banned but you the operator may not be punished further.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2006 10:25:18 AM
Um. . .nice essay. . .but you'll want to note that I made an explicit break between the discussion of fucking around in the lab and the one about following the rules on EC, and made no attempt to scale the logic such that fucking around on EC becomes somehow dangerous.

On the other hand, I absolutely stick by the assertion that anyone so stupid the best way they can think of to "break the monotony" is the equivalent of vandalism deserves zero consideration and an instant banning in accordance with the rules.

Finally, I'll have to say that, much as I like you, none of the stories I've heard about your de-modding mentioned following the rules too closely as the reason. There's always three sides to every story, I suppose. . . .

Since when has it come down to, "If you don't like people blatantly trolling and breaking the rules and fucking with the board, then leave," instead of, "If you find this place so boring you simply can't resist trolling and breaking the rules and fucking with the board, then leave"?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-16-2006 12:25:49 PM
No, you're ugly.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-16-2006 12:40:37 PM
no u
Mod
Pancake
posted 10-16-2006 07:12:02 PM
There sure are a lot of hilarious people here who want nothing more than their own FYAD to be superstars in and where they will not be told to get out due to having a postcount of +600, mostly in BSS.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Greenlit
posted 10-16-2006 07:28:15 PM
What the hell did you just say
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: