EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I feel like chicken tonight!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-05-2006 01:22:47 AM
They both tell you that. Even if it's not entirely true, I have suspicions Kerafyrm is involved *somehow*

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-05-2006 01:26:16 AM
I'm just wondering what will happen when all those eggs hatch. Dozens of Kerafryms running around? Hi EQ3.

Pesco fucked around with this message on 01-05-2006 at 01:26 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-05-2006 01:26:40 AM
You know, I had always been waiting on Kerafrym to be a jerk and kill everything. I hope it was the sleeper's doing..
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-05-2006 01:35:00 AM
quote:
From the book of Kegwen, chapter 3, verse 16:
You know, I had always been waiting on Kerafrym to be a jerk and kill everything. I hope it was the sleeper's doing..

Same here. That's a lot more interesting than "the gods blew it up". Kerafyrm was quite possibly the most interesting npc in EQ1, IMO.

Actually, lore wise, I don't think Luclin could have been blown up by the gods. Yes, they did disable all ability to get to the moon, but they never set things in motion for it to explode.

By the time Luclin blew up, the gods had been long gone and The Rending had already reshaped Norrath pretty good.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 01-05-2006 08:47:26 AM
EQII is horrible.

EQ is still just fun enough that if I had five friends who decided to start on some server and form a solid group to play with each other everyday, I'd reinstall it.

But you couldn't pay me to play EQII after I played the trial.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-05-2006 10:16:15 AM
quote:
Willias stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Same here. That's a lot more interesting than "the gods blew it up". Kerafyrm was quite possibly the most interesting npc in EQ1, IMO.

Actually, lore wise, I don't think Luclin could have been blown up by the gods. Yes, they did disable all ability to get to the moon, but they never set things in motion for it to explode.

By the time Luclin blew up, the gods had been long gone and The Rending had already reshaped Norrath pretty good.

Solusek was preparing the Dresolik crystal to blow up the world, apparently. Common belief is he was going to use the Nexus spires to port it down to Norrath and BOOM.

And if you listen to Naggy, Keg, Kera was actually doing it to stop Solusek and Rallos and save the world. If you listen to Darathar, Kera was doing it as a display of his power.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-05-2006 11:50:18 AM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
EQII is horrible.

EQ is still just fun enough that if I had five friends who decided to start on some server and form a solid group to play with each other everyday, I'd reinstall it.

But you couldn't pay me to play EQII after I played the trial.

The trial sucks ass. From my understanding it's riddled with bugs.

Besides, the 1-9 classes also suck. Things get a lot more interesting once you get to 10 and pick an actual class.

Malbi
posted 01-05-2006 02:48:44 PM
I still think Gnomes did it.
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-05-2006 03:17:20 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about the Spice Girls:
The trial sucks ass. From my understanding it's riddled with bugs.

Besides, the 1-9 classes also suck. Things get a lot more interesting once you get to 10 and pick an actual class.

They're eliminating the subclass system. You'll be your class from the get-go after it's implimented.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-05-2006 03:30:19 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Malbi wrote:
I still think Gnomes did it.

You always think Gnomes did it.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-05-2006 03:31:46 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
They're eliminating the subclass system. You'll be your class from the get-go after it's implimented.

I know. When's that getting put on test anyway?

They also said they're going to revamp the newbie islands so that the evil one and the good one are distinct, and they're also going to revamp the newbie areas so that they're more specialized for the races that they are aimed at.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-05-2006 03:32:54 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Knight Rider:

Oh? Why? I thought that was kinda neat.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 01-05-2006 04:44:47 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael was naked while typing this:

I'm with Tarq on this one.. I found this to be one of the more interesting aspects of the game, being able to see different characters evolve and develop depending on which path they ultimately chose to be.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-05-2006 08:04:39 PM
quote:
This one time, at Tarquinn camp:
Oh? Why? I thought that was kinda neat.

Because as SOE stated:

quote:
1) Getting people into their class right away means less time playing a generic Archetype or a slightly less generic Class, before playing the Final Class they are interested in.

When people start up an MMO, especially a fantasy RPG, many already have a picture of who they are and what they want to be playing. It's less of a profession exploration process for them and more of a barrier that's between them and where they're used to being on day one. "If I'm going to be rolling up my Shadowknight, I want to be playing one right away." The attraction isn't the same if they have to play a generic Fighter for a time, followed by a somewhat less generic Crusader for a longer time, and only then end up where they really wanted to be in the first place.

2) The classes will start earning their abilities from the outset. All classes will get their crucial class-defining spells much earlier instead of having to wait until level 20.

To use the Shadowknight example again, from levels 1-19, we can't currently emphasize the Evil side for the person wanting to be that Shadowknight, since the path is shared with Paladins. Therefore, that path isn't quite as exciting as it really could be. Necromancers are another example here where the fictional progression doesn't quite hold. They are masters of the earth right alongside Conjurers, but only until level 19, at which point they suddenly grow into their Necromantic abilities. Instead, these two classes should both be getting pets early on and getting into using them right away.

3) The gameplay you start with will much more accurately reflect the gameplay you can expect later on.

In some cases, the current system actually does people a disservice by making it appear as if the final classes down the tree are essentially the same, when this isn't the case.

The best example of this is the Mage archetype. The generic Mage is an excellent introductory class if you plan on eventually becoming a Wizard or Warlock. Coercer, Conjurer, Illusionist and Necromancer gameplay ends up being drastically different. The pet classes are very much about cool pets later on, as their direct-damage spells end up being less of the overall play. Likewise, the control classes of Illusionist and Coercer become much more focused on controlling enemies and empowering their allies, as opposed to inflicting direct damage.

4) Significantly more fun to experiment with different classes, right away.

One thing that many people enjoy doing is starting new characters. Replay value is really important in MMOs. There has to be something interesting for people to do when they want a break from their main character, have capped out between expansions, or just want to see how the other side lives.

Under the current system in EQ2, there's a pretty large barrier to checking out a new character in an archetype you have played before. The extreme example here would be Conjurers and Necromancers. The two play drastically differently. (Do you want to do more kinds of both Direct and Area damage, or do you want to do good single damage, some debuffing, and maybe even some backup healing?)

Yet in the current system, if you have a Conjurer, there's 20 levels of barrier in trying out a Necromancer. In most cases if you want to pick a new class farther away in the class tree, where the barrier is only 10 levels, that chasm is still too large for many to cross, since you've already played much the same experience.

Then, with all new starting content and quests on top of this, replaying a character of a different race or a different class will truly be a lot more like starting something completely new.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-05-2006 08:53:19 PM
I agree. I thought it was an interesting change from EQLive.

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-05-2006 09:18:52 PM
Honestly, I found nothing interesting about playing a bland, generic "blank class".

I like the idea of specializing into a more full class later, but I think four blank classes was a bad starting point.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Malbi
posted 01-05-2006 09:23:44 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I agree. I thought it was an interesting change from EQLive.

its a halfway lazy solution to fix the problem, a messy shortcut they will regret later.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Sean
posted 01-05-2006 09:26:45 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Pirotess:
Honestly, I found nothing interesting about playing a bland, generic "blank class".

The only way that system works is when you have two base classes; Squire and Chemist.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-06-2006 12:21:08 AM
quote:
Malbi had this to say about Duck Tales:
its a halfway lazy solution to fix the problem, a messy shortcut they will regret later.

How so?

Under 20 you haven't seen much of the game yet. You can get to ~15 just through the newbie grounds and running around doing every newbie ground/delivery quest in the main city. 1 to 9 is stupidly fast, and all you have to do to get your basic class is do the newbie island and run around in Freeport/Qeynos. 10 to 20 is definately more interesting, but is still a very small part of the game. 20 to 60, on the other hand, where you've fully established your character is the biggest portion of the game.

If the archetype -> class -> subclass progression was more meaningful, and lasted much longer into the game, I could understand being against the upcoming change. All it does at this time is hide the true classes of the game, and force you to gain 20 levels to be able to see what they are.

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-06-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-06-2006 10:44:33 PM
My biggest single complaint about EQ2 was the lack of places to go. In the entire time I played up to level 30 I never went more than one zone past the main hunting area of Qeynos. It was just more of the same zone. Oh yay I got to go a little further.

In Wow I am only level 28 and I have explored a good part of the world and each part seems a little different from the other. I really feel like I am going somewhere.

My other complaint was the class system. It looks like they are fixing that. Now if they fix the main problem I can see myself going back to the game. Till then I am off to level my hunter.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 12:14:20 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Azizza said:
My biggest single complaint about EQ2 was the lack of places to go. In the entire time I played up to level 30 I never went more than one zone past the main hunting area of Qeynos. It was just more of the same zone. Oh yay I got to go a little further.

In Wow I am only level 28 and I have explored a good part of the world and each part seems a little different from the other. I really feel like I am going somewhere.

My other complaint was the class system. It looks like they are fixing that. Now if they fix the main problem I can see myself going back to the game. Till then I am off to level my hunter.

Your biggest complaints is one of the things I think is silly about WoW.

While yes, everytime you gain 10 or so levels you're in a completely new looking environment, the environments don't blend. Elwynn Forest doesn't look like it should be just across a river from Westfall or Duskwood. Elwynn blends somewhat with Redridge Mountains, but RM doesn't blend with Burning Steppes. It doesn't make the game bad, and it does make entering new areas more exciting since everything looks new, but at the same time, it looks wierd. :/

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-07-2006 12:21:35 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Willias:

While yes, everytime you gain 10 or so levels you're in a completely new looking environment, the environments don't blend. Elwynn Forest doesn't look like it should be just across a river from Westfall or Duskwood. Elwynn blends somewhat with Redridge Mountains, but RM doesn't blend with Burning Steppes. It doesn't make the game bad, and it does make entering new areas more exciting since everything looks new, but at the same time, it looks wierd. :/

The examples you used actually do make sense. Your point is valid in some areas, I think you just chose bad examples.

But really, how is this different from other MMORPGs? I think DAoC probably did the best job of transitional environments I can think of.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Gadani
U
posted 01-07-2006 12:25:20 AM
When are the new changes going on the Test Server for EQII?
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-07-2006 12:29:51 AM
quote:
Willias Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Well, the world you're playing in in WoW isn't Azeroth to scale, it's a smaller representation of Azeroth. This is done in order to cut down on travel time. Were the polygonal Azeroth of WoW as large as the Azeroth of the Warcraft universe in general, it would take weeks to go from one zone to another, unless you were on a wind rider, in which case it would take a few hours.

Since they needed to shrink the world, and thus each individual region, in order to allow players to quickly experience the entire World of Warcraft, a lot of the unimportant areas in those zones is omitted, such as the gradual transition of one type of landscape (eg. Ashenvale) to another (eg. The Barrens).

Most people disliked the size of the world in EQ original, especially since most of the EXP/items were concentrated in a select few areas within zones. It took a little too long to go from point A to point B.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 12:45:20 AM
quote:
Ruvyen had this to say about Cuba:
Well, the world you're playing in in WoW isn't Azeroth to scale, it's a smaller representation of Azeroth. This is done in order to cut down on travel time. Were the polygonal Azeroth of WoW as large as the Azeroth of the Warcraft universe in general, it would take weeks to go from one zone to another, unless you were on a wind rider, in which case it would take a few hours.

Since they needed to shrink the world, and thus each individual region, in order to allow players to quickly experience the entire World of Warcraft, a lot of the unimportant areas in those zones is omitted, such as the gradual transition of one type of landscape (eg. Ashenvale) to another (eg. The Barrens).

Most people disliked the size of the world in EQ original, especially since most of the EXP/items were concentrated in a select few areas within zones. It took a little too long to go from point A to point B.

True.

quote:
Lashanna Model 2000 was programmed to say:
The examples you used actually do make sense. Your point is valid in some areas, I think you just chose bad examples.

But really, how is this different from other MMORPGs? I think DAoC probably did the best job of transitional environments I can think of.

It's just not as obvious in other MMOs. Blizzard did something cool by making it to where there are zero load times inbetween areas in their game. Again, it's cool, but at the same time, it becomes startingly obvious how different some areas look compared to their surrounding areas.

And I have to agree with DAoC having the best blending environments. (Just wish that game's controls didn't feel so clunky after playing WoW/EQ2/CoH+V.)

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 12:47:26 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Robocop:
When are the new changes going on the Test Server for EQII?

No clue. Supposedly by the end of the month, though I figure they'll push it back closer to Kingdom of Sky's release, and put it in along with the pvp server stuff.

That way when new players pick up Kingdom of Sky (which like Ruins of Kunark did, will have the expansion and the original game) the content from 1 to 19 will be relatively new.

Gadani
U
posted 01-07-2006 12:56:02 AM
Kingdom of Sky is going to have new newbie zones?
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 01:00:05 AM
quote:
Gadani wrote this stupid crap:
Kingdom of Sky is going to have new newbie zones?

No, but with the next patch, they're rehauling the newbie island to make them different experiences for good and evil characters, and they're revamping the newbie zones for each city to make each of them a bit more racially distinct.

Edit: Can't edit above post, but yeah, that didn't read right at all. D:

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-07-2006 at 01:00 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 01-07-2006 01:09:51 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about John Romero:
No, but with the next patch, they're rehauling the newbie island to make them different experiences for good and evil characters, and they're revamping the newbie zones for each city to make each of them a bit more racially distinct.

Edit: Can't edit above post, but yeah, that didn't read right at all. D:

Oh, that's cool. I'm coming up on the upper-mid levels so I guess I'll buy Desert of Flames when I get my paycheck. And Kingdom of Sky, when it comes out.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 01:13:52 AM
quote:
Gadani stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Oh, that's cool. I'm coming up on the upper-mid levels so I guess I'll buy Desert of Flames when I get my paycheck. And Kingdom of Sky, when it comes out.

My bro and I got DoF today. There is NOTHING there for people under 45 except for arenas and being able to choose a voice for your character.

The main reason we picked it up is because apparently some stores aren't stocking EQII because it isn't selling well. Especially compared to World of Warcraft.

Oh, and an improved guild bank feature.

:p

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-07-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 01-07-2006 01:15:28 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about pies:
My bro and I got DoF today. There is NOTHING there for people under 45 except for arenas and being able to choose a voice for your character.

The main reason we picked it up is because apparently some stores aren't stocking EQII because it isn't selling well. Especially compared to World of Warcraft.

Improved guild bank feature. :<

Gadani fucked around with this message on 01-07-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-07-2006 01:55:22 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Sean stammered:
The only way that system works is when you have two base classes; Squire and Chemist.

Amen!

I can't help but wonder, how will the EQ2 class changes work with the betrayal quests? If I started playing EQ2 again after this goes live, could I just remake my Iksar, click Monk at the start, and be a good guy from the very begining?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-07-2006 12:05:01 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about dark elf butts:
Amen!

I can't help but wonder, how will the EQ2 class changes work with the betrayal quests? If I started playing EQ2 again after this goes live, could I just remake my Iksar, click Monk at the start, and be a good guy from the very begining?

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. What may happen is that as soon as you finish the quest, your class completely changes.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-07-2006 05:20:03 PM
We haven't received a solid answer on that yet that I've seen, but lots have been asking about it.

I haven't seen anything pop up on test yet about Live Update #19 or any mention of when it's coming.

And I asked the level range for KoS and there's still no solid answer there, either. My guess is probably another high level expansion, which makes me look more and more back to Melisande and EQ1.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-08-2006 06:58:09 AM
Okay I found a post on betrayal

quote:
Our plans for Betrayal work out like this.

1) The betrayal path and level range in which you can betray your home town remain the same as they are today.

2) The quest does change slightly at the end. If you are a non-native class in your new town, the end of the qust will also change your class to its opposite-aligned counterpart. At that point, you are a person of the new class with Apprentice I abilities.

Later, as we expand the definition and role of Factions in the cities, we may be exploring the idea of faction-based betrayal that supports city betrayal at all levels. However, we will definitely not be including that in this initial rollout of 1-20 class progression.

We want the class transition to go as smoothly as possible, so we want to introduce as few changes as we need to get there. Complicating betrayal immediately would introduce significant potential problems in what is already a complex piece of work.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-08-2006 07:13:14 AM
I have helped someone with a Freeport to Qeynos betrayal quest...Danm that a lot of fugging gnolls. I would hate to do it solo, Took about and hour or 2 to get the 500 and that was doing the wholesale slaughter of lowbie ones.

--And I could see getting rid of the arch-classes, but the Classes and subclasses I thought were nifty ideas.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-08-2006 11:56:55 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Okay I found a post on betrayal

In otherwords, if you plan to betray, you better not upgrade any spells. D:

I wonder, if you use your Master II ability before betraying, if you get it back after you change classes.

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-08-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-08-2006 01:56:05 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Willias:
In otherwords, if you plan to betray, you better not upgrade any spells. D:

I wonder, if you use your Master II ability before betraying, if you get it back after you change classes.

Or they leave it as is as a "Price" for betraying? Wich sould be Standered SOE opertional Bulllshhheeeet ,SSOB for short.

And I looked high and low for a DOF box today, not to be found, though 2 months ago when I was looking for an EQ2 I couldn't find any but a DOF box

Talonus
Loner
posted 01-08-2006 02:10:24 PM
quote:
Peter probably says this to all the girls:
And I looked high and low for a DOF box today, not to be found, though 2 months ago when I was looking for an EQ2 I couldn't find any but a DOF box

The expansion was relatively new two months ago, hence why you could find a DoF box. The combination of poor sales of EQ2 and DoF in general and the reluctance of retailers to even stock PC games anymore makes them hard to find. Better to buy online.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-08-2006 05:54:45 PM
I just saw a lot of both EQ2 and DoF at Best Buy the other day. That's kind of our "It" store here, even though there's a Fry's up north now, so if you have one in the area you might want to check them out.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: