EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I feel like chicken tonight!
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-14-2006 01:34:39 AM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Were you in under a grandfather clause of some sort? Quite honestly I can't imagine T1 guilds recruiting people without at least a few class AA post-PoP. Even T2 and T3 guilds would want 100+ during late PoP.

Technically, they were a second tier guild. I raided with them when they did "for fun" raids like Ssra and Vindi. Enough members thought I did a good enough job of playing a Shaman, even without the AA's, that I would be a good candidate for the guild. I needed 3 initial sponsors to become a Recruit. After getting in, I had to get 12 yes votes from other members in order to become a permanant member, without any no votes. I had a small leg up because I had real life friends to act as initial sponsors, but I still needed to earn the rest of the votes myself. I started out at level 62 with 3 AA's and one PoP flag (they were in Elementals at the time). I didn't start out raiding the same content they did, but I worked my ass off in open raids and in pickup groups to get caught up in levels and earn as many AA's as I could. When I quit, they were raiding Time and Ikkinz and OoW had just come out. I was almost Time flagged (I just lacked the Earth flag) and one trial away from Ikkinz access. And if I hadn't quit and gone to EQ2, I would have gotten those in a few weeks and had been caught up because they were still actively backflagging for those zones at the time.

They were more concerned with what you could do with your character and how aware you were of your surroundings than how many AA's you had. And I like to think I was a pretty good Shaman after playing one for 5 years.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 01-14-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-14-2006 04:43:05 PM
quote:
From the book of Pesco, chapter 3, verse 16:
That isn't shitty, that was the point to have them in the first place. They always gave you something you could work on. You weren't supposed to max out AAs, a lot of them weren't really much more then fluff. Casuals just had issues with a few super AAs that became class defining. Which isn't much different then getting a class defining skill or spell at a certain level, just a different means to get it.

The issue people who were more casual in mindset and who didn't raid had with the super AAs was when content started to be designed around those AAs, aka GoD. When things get so imbalanced the devs have to lock a playstle completely out of an expansion just to keep the ubers from chewing through it in a week, there's a big problem.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-14-2006 06:24:01 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Lyinar Ka`Bael was all like:
The issue people who were more casual in mindset and who didn't raid had with the super AAs was when content started to be designed around those AAs, aka GoD. When things get so imbalanced the devs have to lock a playstle completely out of an expansion just to keep the ubers from chewing through it in a week, there's a big problem.

This is my problem with your argument, though: How far did you make it into GoD progression? When it was new, not after they uped the cap and made it easier. If you were in a guild that was working those zones during that time period, then I'll shut my mouth. But I'm venturing to guess that the number of people on this board that were can be counted on one hand. And if you weren't working through that content, how can you really say for sure what was required to be successful in it?

-H

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-14-2006 07:59:59 PM
quote:
Hellbender's account was hax0red to write:
This is my problem with your argument, though: How far did you make it into GoD progression? When it was new, not after they uped the cap and made it easier. If you were in a guild that was working those zones during that time period, then I'll shut my mouth. But I'm venturing to guess that the number of people on this board that were can be counted on one hand. And if you weren't working through that content, how can you really say for sure what was required to be successful in it?

-H

Actually it wasn't OoW that made it easier. About a few weeks after the launch of it, they majorly lowered the difficulty of the mobs in the starting zones. Prior to that, they were insanely overpowered.

My comments aren't in relation to progression there. By the time I was working through it, it was a decent challenge, but not impossible.

What happened when it first came out, however, is that the zones were unplayable for all but the highest geared people. On day one, I took Adam's shaman Jagd, a 65 shaman, myself a 65 enchanter and a 62 paladin to Natimbi. We had heard that zone was supposed to start at 45ish, like Dranik's Scar did with OoW later. So we figured we would explore, kill some of the green stuff, see what dropped in the zone and what we could do with it.

Didn't happen. 3 folks, 20 levels higher than these very green mobs, getting our asses kicked. There was similar complaint and lots of dead bodies around to show we weren't the only ones. Clerics were making a killing. It wasn't a bug. It apparently was designed that way.

That's my argument. The gear gap between raiding and non-raiding was so huge in EQ1 prior to the improvements made in OoW onward that this sort of situation could occur. EQ2 is starting to follow the same path that better and better gear is gotten from raiding. So far the gap there is small. I'm just leery when I see developers focus on a single playing style, to the detriment of others.

Granted, DoN especially fixed a lot of the problems with the gap in gear in EQ1, but do we really want to have to have a GoD of our own before things are evened out with gear distribution?

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-14-2006 09:19:00 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Pirotess:
Actually it wasn't OoW that made it easier. About a few weeks after the launch of it, they majorly lowered the difficulty of the mobs in the starting zones. Prior to that, they were insanely overpowered.

My comments aren't in relation to progression there. By the time I was working through it, it was a decent challenge, but not impossible.

What happened when it first came out, however, is that the zones were unplayable for all but the highest geared people. On day one, I took Adam's shaman Jagd, a 65 shaman, myself a 65 enchanter and a 62 paladin to Natimbi. We had heard that zone was supposed to start at 45ish, like Dranik's Scar did with OoW later. So we figured we would explore, kill some of the green stuff, see what dropped in the zone and what we could do with it.

Didn't happen. 3 folks, 20 levels higher than these very green mobs, getting our asses kicked. There was similar complaint and lots of dead bodies around to show we weren't the only ones. Clerics were making a killing. It wasn't a bug. It apparently was designed that way.

That's my argument. The gear gap between raiding and non-raiding was so huge in EQ1 prior to the improvements made in OoW onward that this sort of situation could occur. EQ2 is starting to follow the same path that better and better gear is gotten from raiding. So far the gap there is small. I'm just leery when I see developers focus on a single playing style, to the detriment of others.

Granted, DoN especially fixed a lot of the problems with the gap in gear in EQ1, but do we really want to have to have a GoD of our own before things are evened out with gear distribution?

Anyone who had regularly XP'd in Elementals prior to GoD had very little problem with the initial difficulty of the zones, including myself with substandard gear. People were progressing even before the zones were altered. You weren't used to the level of DPS that the mobs put out and couldn't cope with the difficulty of the zones.

-H

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-14-2006 09:41:57 PM
quote:
Hellbender had this to say about dark elf butts:
Anyone who had regularly XP'd in Elementals prior to GoD had very little problem with the initial difficulty of the zones, including myself with substandard gear. People were progressing even before the zones were altered. You weren't used to the level of DPS that the mobs put out and couldn't cope with the difficulty of the zones.

-H

I regularly exp'd in Sol Ro Tower, both in the lower areas and up in the towers with no difficulty. The pally was often the tank in pick up groups that I or my cleric friend organized for there. I had no Elemental gear, and she still only has the cloak and a mask from Earth that I got right before I left. The Elemental trash isn't much more difficult than the harder things in Sol Ro Tower. I could handle the DPS well.

Fact of the matter is, they designed the new content, that was supposed to start at 45 in Natimbi, for people who had the best gear from the previous expansion. NOT the raid zones, or the progression instances, or even zones past Natimbi (which we couldn't even zone out of on the first day), but the trash in just the starting zone was designed like this.

I don't know when you started in GoD. But the early parts of it were a nightmare. It was unsurviveable in the state it was released in.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-14-2006 10:03:05 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Lyinar Ka`Bael stammered:
I regularly exp'd in Sol Ro Tower

This does not count as an Elemental plane. There was a sizable gap in mob DPS between the two tiers. Your group was not used to dealing with that level of DPS.

EDIT: Before you blow the fuck up and have a fit over that statement, note that I'm not saying that you're a dumbshit or were just to stupid to play the game. But your focus in the game was probably different than mine. And you probably don't play MMOGs for the same reasons I do. I don't play MMOGs to make friends or do tradeskills. I enjoy studying the numbers of a game and min/maxing everything out. The thing I just don't understand is how people who aren't Achiever oriented give so much of a shit about EQ, because that's all the game ever catered to. If you get pissed about the amount of time sink that was required by the game, you probably weren't the target audience. You should be playing WoW, because it's a better game for you.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 01-14-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-15-2006 05:39:31 AM
What she's saying is that this was not a planar zone. It was a level 45 starting zone. That sort of level range is much lower than an Elemental plane or Sol Ro. Yet the damage far exceeded that of what was expected. When 3 62+ characters who regularly do PoP planes are getting their ass handed to them by what are supposed to be level 45ish mobs, there is obviously a problem.

I remember going there myself shortly after the expansion was released with my level 60 Wizard and being unable to solo even a single green due to the abnormal amount of resists I was getting.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-15-2006 07:29:26 AM
No, she's saying that the only people who could manage the content were the ubergeared from prior expansions. My gear on my retired Shaman right now is pretty much what it was when I played in GoD, minus a few upgrades I picked up in OoW. As you can see, it was no where near high end. The difference between myself and any other random casual player was some of the experience I had with a higher end raiding guild in Elemental planes and most did not. Sure, GoD was hard, but it wasn't completely insurmountable if you were used to putting in a certain amount of time to learn the zones and encounters. Gear was not the single defining factor in being successful in those zones, understand your class role and game mechanics was more vital than anything else. If you took someone who had never played at a higher level and dropped them into an eBayed Shaman with better gear than me, I seriously doubt they would have been to pull off the same things I was able to. Know your role. Know how to ride the agro line. Know how to put your utility spells to the best use possible. And after all that, still expect to do some trial and error.

Again, EQ catered to Achiever oriented gamers. The fact that there is content in EQ that will never be accessible to all but the small majority never bothered me in the slightest. Everything about GoD pre-release screamed that it was going to be a high level expansion. People who were unable to level themselves out of the 40's that expected to be able to play in more than the one zone they ended up getting were only fooling themselves.

-H

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-15-2006 06:55:04 PM
So when did you start in GoD? Day one?

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-15-2006 09:47:05 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
So when did you start in GoD? Day one?

I was in the beta, so prior to day one.

-H

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-15-2006 10:05:58 PM
You were in beta and played from the opening day?

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-15-2006 11:23:49 PM
EDIT: Actually, I think I pre-ordered GoD from GameStop or something and got it a week after release. But IIRC, the end of beta and the released product were not completely dissimilar.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 01-15-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-16-2006 12:07:09 AM
On the first day in GoD on Luclin, nobody could go past the first zone, and people were dying left and right because the mobs were jacked up way too far in difficulty. From what you're describing of your beta experiences, there was definitely a difference.

And Sol Ro Tower wasn't a large difference in difficulty with the normal mobs in the Elementals. Most xp'd in Earth at the entrance, and Fire at the castle and once I was able to go there, with pretty much similar gear to what I had, I had no issues. Once the GoD zones were tweaked, I could manage there just fine, even being able to kill the green tureptas 20 levels below me with just Shiny Bob, and a boxed druid for heals.

But when it was first released, there *was* a rather significant difference.

Maradon!
posted 01-16-2006 04:14:42 AM
Anarchy Online is basically designed specifically for min-maxers.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 01-16-2006 04:38:26 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Cuba:
Anarchy Online.

All I want is a good sci-fi MMORPG... is that so much to ask?

Maradon!
posted 01-16-2006 04:59:23 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Sakkra who doth quote:
All I want is a good sci-fi MMORPG... is that so much to ask?

AO is actually pretty good.

I'd be playing it if I didn't like wow so much, or had time for a second MMO.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-16-2006 09:59:13 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael Model 2000 was programmed to say:
On the first day in GoD on Luclin, nobody could go past the first zone, and people were dying left and right because the mobs were jacked up way too far in difficulty. From what you're describing of your beta experiences, there was definitely a difference.

And Sol Ro Tower wasn't a large difference in difficulty with the normal mobs in the Elementals. Most xp'd in Earth at the entrance, and Fire at the castle and once I was able to go there, with pretty much similar gear to what I had, I had no issues. Once the GoD zones were tweaked, I could manage there just fine, even being able to kill the green tureptas 20 levels below me with just Shiny Bob, and a boxed druid for heals.

But when it was first released, there *was* a rather significant difference.

In beta, I remember all mobs in Natimbi being high blue at 65 and hit for about 700ish, which for me meant I had about 2-3 melee rounds max to root and back off if I pulled agro or I was gone. Is that about how it was on day one?

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 01-16-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-16-2006 10:20:21 AM
No, all the mobs in Natimbi at 65 on day one were green. The whole zone was green, even the duders by the zone to Qinimi. I don't remember what they hit for, besides a lot, but Jagd could barely get a heal off before the pally was dead. Jagd was our usual group healer in the PoP zones we hunted in, although sometimes it was our cleric guildmate in Sol Ro because Jagd didn't have access and that was before they put in both the alt quest and the PoP piggy-back rules.

I dunno what they broke between beta and release, but it was a major break. The sad thing is the extreme difficulty turned a lot of folks off the expansion and once things were fixed, it was a really fun place to go to. Plus the later expansions fixed a lot of the gear problems, especially DoN, but by then people were anti-EQ expansions and refused to buy them.

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 01-16-2006 05:35:31 PM
Wish they hadn't nerfed fishing in that place.
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: