EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Legal Issues (help?)
Emily
Why's everybody always hittin on me?
posted 08-31-2003 09:07:46 PM
I have a question.

My history teacher is a very old, wise man.

He told me that it was well within my rights as a minor - as well as it's in the rights of anyone -- that if they CHOSE to leave their house, say... they were mad at their parents for yelling at them, and they called a friend to come pick them up for awhile -- that the parents could call the cops, and the cops could track me down and ask me to get in the car and tell me to come home -- but they COULDN'T take me by force back home, neither could my parents, or anyone.

Is this true? I can't stay in this house tonight, but it's not worth getting arrested over if I can't legally do it.

Should've done something, but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

Should've said something, but I've said it enough
By the way my words were faded
Rather waste some time with you...

Drysart
Pancake
posted 08-31-2003 09:17:34 PM
quote:
Emily scribbled:
but they COULDN'T take me by force back home, neither could my parents, or anyone.

If you're under 18, your parents own you.

Emily
posted 08-31-2003 09:18:23 PM
quote:
Drysart's fortune cookie read:
If you're under 18, your parents own you.

I'm doing it anyway.

Fuck parents.

Skaw
posted 08-31-2003 09:21:02 PM
He's trying to get you to run away to his house so he can get into your pants.
Suddar
posted 08-31-2003 09:31:04 PM
Maybe if you go to a legal guardian...otherwise, it doesn't really make sense.

I do think I've done this before, though. Memory is fuzzy. I just remember leaving the house one night, my mom calling the cops, and them telling her that there's nothing that they can do. Maybe it's just law in Maine?

Emily
posted 08-31-2003 09:34:36 PM
quote:
Suddar stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I just remember leaving the house one night, my mom calling the cops, and them telling her that there's nothing that they can do. Maybe it's just law in Maine?

Thanks.

I'm out.

Suddar
posted 08-31-2003 09:34:38 PM
Also, you can be emancipated if you're over 16 and you can support yourself. Basically means you're your own legal guardian. But if your parents don't want you leaving the house, you have to appear before a judge. And the judge won't accept reasons like, "They yelled at me," or, "I hate them." Not even if you can support yourself. So get a real reason, or you'll probably cause more trouble than it's worth.
Skaw
posted 08-31-2003 09:34:46 PM
I think its just the part about the cops. Like if your parents found you, and dragged you home, theres nothing you can do about that. Unless you know, you ran away for being abused or something. But then again, telling someone and/or social services > running away and not doing anything.
Addy
posted 08-31-2003 09:36:23 PM
quote:
Suddar enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Maybe if you go to a legal guardian...otherwise, it doesn't really make sense.

I do think I've done this before, though. Memory is fuzzy. I just remember leaving the house one night, my mom calling the cops, and them telling her that there's nothing that they can do. Maybe it's just law in Maine?

It's like that in Minnesota as well. The whole "lol we call cops on u" thing.

I don't know how your parents are, Em, but whenever I just want to get out of the house for a night, I let 'em know I'm going to stay at a friend's house, and they are generally cool with that. Better to let 'em know than to leave them in the dark. Most of the time parents call up the cops because they've no clue where you are.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 08-31-2003 09:37:20 PM
Kids these days. Running away from home when it gets a little hot. Pfah!

When -I- was that age, my Dad and I just had fist fights and the winner.. well, won.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Suddar
posted 08-31-2003 09:39:48 PM
quote:
Addy had this to say about (_|_):
It's like that in Minnesota as well. The whole "lol we call cops on u" thing.

I don't know how your parents are, Em, but whenever I just want to get out of the house for a night, I let 'em know I'm going to stay at a friend's house, and they are generally cool with that. Better to let 'em know than to leave them in the dark. Most of the time parents call up the cops because they've no clue where you are.

Yeah, heh, I remember one time I went to a friend's house, and this kid was playing in a shed and he stabbed himself with a nail in the back of his head. In the commotion I sort of lost track of time, and when I left it was way after dark. I noticed lots of people walking through the streets and all, a few of them cops. And when they saw me they told me they were all looking for me and I was all 'wtf'. So yeah.

The difference between this and my first story is that this time I was around 7 years old. I think if there's general suspicion of foul play, the cops will look into it. Otherwise, it's really the parent's responsibility, I guess.

[ 08-31-2003: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 08-31-2003 09:41:00 PM
quote:
I've heard there was a secret chord, that Cool Hand Luke played, and it pleased the Lord:
Kids these days.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-31-2003 09:51:39 PM
Afaik for the cops to come after you you have to have been gone long enough to file a missing persons report or something unusual has to have occured. If you just go away for below that amount of time they won't intervene, at least that's how it works here.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 08-31-2003 10:18:17 PM
If anyone wonders what that was about she kinda just left house with her friend, and parents are gonna mutilate her tommorow..

Anyways..

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 08-31-2003 10:24:24 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Holden said this:
If anyone wonders what that was about she kinda just left house with her friend, and parents are gonna mutilate her tommorow..

Anyways..

I'm betting they'll take her computer access away. So, tell her "bye" for us till she can get back, ok?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 08-31-2003 11:56:30 PM
You can, but there's a process you have to go through. First you have to make yourself financially independant. That isn't easy before you've graduated high school. However: should you do that, you can go down to the courthouse and file suit to become an emancipated minor. If the judge agrees with whatever reason you want to leave, and that you yourself and your finances are stable enough to do it, poof, it's done. other than that, Your parents pwn you.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-31-2003 11:58:01 PM
Seems a tad brash.

I'd rather be taken care of for twenty years than give it all up in a fit.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 09-01-2003 12:52:02 AM
Also remember, even if they can't drag you back home (and we're not sure that they can't), they can get you for not going to school. She had better be there when the bell rings tomorrow.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2003 12:54:39 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Also remember, even if they can't drag you back home (and we're not sure that they can't), they can get you for not going to school. She had better be there when the bell rings tomorrow.

Uh, Labor Day?

I mean, I have school, but that's because I go to a private school

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-01-2003 01:03:26 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Parcelan wrote:
Seems a tad brash.

Ditto.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-01-2003 01:11:35 AM
I think everyone is reading this wrong.

All she did was run off for a few hours.

Peter
Pancake
posted 09-01-2003 01:20:09 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said this about your mom:
Seems a tad brash.

That and the fact her parents are probably not the ones in the wrong here. Thinking about it, I really don't think that I have ever had a fight with my parents were in the end I was right.

O and the Emancipation thing donÂ’t do that, You know it blows chunks to have that done to you. My mom had me emancipated so she didn't have to pay my old man child support. See, next time you have to go to the hospital, ask to see what the bill comes to, or when you have to get your own car insurance, or the many other things you get because your still considered a dependent of your parents.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-01-2003 05:38:52 AM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I think everyone is reading this wrong.

All she did was run off for a few hours.

She's the one who asked if there was any legal basis for cops dragging her home. Sounds like she had a hissy fit and ran off. Sounds like what she's contemplated doing before. Sounds like when she was back turning 16 and didn't understand why her parents wouldn't let her do certain things til she was 16 even though she was 15.

And it sounds like she's considering pushing her parents' buttons so far that they may call the cops in to try and intervene, and she's looking for clearance to tell the cops to back off.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-01-2003 05:41:17 AM
Ya gotta respect wanting to know how far she can push than just blidning doing it at least
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Emily
posted 09-01-2003 08:24:38 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Knight Rider:

School doesn't start until Sept 3rd.

And yeah, Snoota is right, this was blown way out of proportion -- all I did was run off for a few hours with a friend -- tell me that isn't something you've ever done, or thought about doing?

What I did isn't anyone's business to judge or tell me that it was "brash" or not the right thing to do. All I asked for is if it was legal or not.

Also, Peter - whoever the fuck *you* are - you know nothing about the arguement I had with my parents. So who are you to say I was automatically wrong and they were automatically right?

I'm seventeen, so I'm partially expected to do these things. I'll excercise my "rights" as a minor and do stupid shit because I want to, and not make decisions based on whether or not it's the "adult" thing to do. I live for the moment.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm immature and brash and a wannabe rebel and all that crap all you adults and whoever else considers themself "more mature" than me are bound to throw at me. But at least I have fun. If I end up dead someday because of it, I really don't care. If I had a good time, then that's all that matters.

I'm running off again today, too!

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: Emily ]

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 09-01-2003 09:45:31 AM
I hang out with my friends sometime too.

I don't call it running away though =\

The World is Yours
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 09-01-2003 10:35:22 AM
quote:
Emily had this to say about Robocop:
School doesn't start until Sept 3rd.

And yeah, Snoota is right, this was blown way out of proportion -- all I did was run off for a few hours with a friend -- tell me that isn't something you've ever done, or thought about doing?

What I did isn't anyone's business to judge or tell me that it was "brash" or not the right thing to do. All I asked for is if it was legal or not.

Also, Peter - whoever the fuck *you* are - you know nothing about the arguement I had with my parents. So who are you to say I was automatically wrong and they were automatically right?

I'm seventeen, so I'm partially expected to do these things. I'll excercise my "rights" as a minor and do stupid shit because I want to, and not make decisions based on whether or not it's the "adult" thing to do. I live for the moment.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm immature and brash and a wannabe rebel and all that crap all you adults and whoever else considers themself "more mature" than me are bound to throw at me. But at least I have fun. If I end up dead someday because of it, I really don't care. If I had a good time, then that's all that matters.

I'm running off again today, too!

You'll have to excuse me when I say that was the stupidest load of bullshit I've read in months... made me laugh though...

I hope you get what you're after though, I really do... live for the moment, keep this stuff up. Who knows, you might end up in jail sometime down the road because it sounded cool to try to rob a 7-11, or you might end up living in a box in a downtown alleyway because of some other bad choices you could make. Extreme? Yeah, sure it is... but it could happen. But who cares right? At least you're having fun.

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: ArchAngel ]

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Emily
posted 09-01-2003 10:47:24 AM
quote:
ArchAngel probably says this to all the girls:
Who knows, you might end up in jail sometime down the road because it sounded cool to try to rob a 7-11, or you might end up living in a box in a downtown alleyway because of some other bad choices you could make. Extreme? Yeah, sure it is... but it could happen. But who cares right? At least you're having fun.

Robbing and stealing isn't 'having fun'. I have fun, but I have morals, too. Sorry that you seem to have been confused, but I only play a Rogue in online fantasy games!

I always outweight the risk vs reward before I do anything. Which is exactly why I came here to ask if it was legal to do this or not. In this case, the reward > risk, so I did it.

My parents apologized for flipping out on me last night, and they asked me to never 'run away' again. So I probably won't, as long as they never senselessly flip out on me again for no real reason.

It's very extreme what you mentioned, and you seem to have blown a small thing way out of proportion just like practically everyone else here -- and what you mentioned is also very unrealistic and uncharacteristic of myself, but you'd only know that if you knew me at all. I'm a hypocrite, a walking contridiction, and I don't listen to reason, but I still have a good head on my shoulders.

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: Emily ]

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 09-01-2003 10:53:55 AM
quote:
ArchAngel's fortune cookie read:
You'll have to excuse me when I say that was the stupidest load of bullshit I've read in months... made me laugh though...

I hope you get what you're after though, I really do... live for the moment, keep this stuff up. Who knows, you might end up in jail sometime down the road because it sounded cool to try to rob a 7-11, or you might end up living in a box in a downtown alleyway because of some other bad choices you could make. Extreme? Yeah, sure it is... but it could happen. But who cares right? At least you're having fun.

Lol, she goes off for a couple hours one night and you bring up jail time? Hello there captain overreaction

Chill out.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
ArchAngel
posted 09-01-2003 10:54:09 AM
I reacted to how you were coming across.

And you seriously weighed the reward vs. risk here? It doesn't seem like you contemplated it too hard. Yeah, I guess you got a temp fix, but that's all it is.

Anyway. My point is you could've handled this better.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
ArchAngel
posted 09-01-2003 10:55:19 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Reynar wrote:
Lol, she goes off for a couple hours one night and you bring up jail time? Hello there captain overreaction

Chill out.

Oh, I never said she'd go to jail for this...

Full sigpic image
Emily
posted 09-01-2003 10:58:25 AM
quote:
From the book of ArchAngel, chapter 3, verse 16:
I reacted to how you were coming across.

And you seriously weighed the reward vs. risk here? It doesn't seem like you contemplated it too hard. Yeah, I guess you got a temp fix, but that's all it is.

Anyway. My point is you could've handled this better.

I must have comtemplated it enough to think 'Is this legal? Could I get into some *real* trouble for this?' I must have comtemplated it enough to ask for a second or third opinion. I must have contemplated it hard enough to decide it was okay to do.

A "temp fix" is all I wanted, and is exactly what I got.

I never asked about information on emancipation, or even mentioned the word, but look at what I got!

ArchAngel
posted 09-01-2003 11:00:43 AM
So you're just going to keep leaving whenever this happens again?
Full sigpic image
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 09-01-2003 11:01:10 AM
Good leave, I get the rest of the cookies..

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 09-01-2003 11:02:37 AM
shakes his head and ushers his sweetie off to bed.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Emily
posted 09-01-2003 11:05:51 AM
quote:
ArchAngel had this to say about John Romero:
So you're just going to keep leaving whenever this happens again?

I'll leave if I feel I want to, or I need to be out of the house for awhile. Whenever that is. Leaving is a better way of handling things when fights erupt, IMO, then sitting there and yelling at eachother until we're blue in the face and saying things we really don't mean. At least if I leave, I have time to cool off, then come back and talk things over cooly later.

Or until I grow up and learn how to handle it better, as you recommended.

Whatever comes first.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-01-2003 11:06:57 AM
Mmm.. cookies..

And ArchAngel is like three days older than Emily.

Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 09-01-2003 11:07:30 AM
Still its not like your breaking the law or anything since you told mom you were going out..

Emily
posted 09-01-2003 11:09:21 AM
quote:
Holden enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Still its not like your breaking the law or anything since you told mom you were going out..

That's today. She knows now that I'm going out today.

She didn't know last night.

ArchAngel
posted 09-01-2003 11:11:17 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Cool Hand Luke said:
Mmm.. cookies..

And ArchAngel is like three days older than Emily.

She's 17 right?

If so, it's closer to 3 years. But if I'm wrong on the age, feel free to correct me.

Full sigpic image
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: