EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Abortion
Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 07:35:05 PM
quote:
...anyone with even a nodding acquaintance with the Rubik cube will concede the near-impossibility of a solution being obtained by a blind person moving the cube faces at random. Now imagine 1050 blind persons each with a scrambled Rubik cube, and try to conceive of the chance of them all simultaneously arriving at the solved form. You then have the chance of arriving by random shuffling of just one of the many biopolymers on which life depends. The notion that not only the biopolymers but the operating programme of a living cell could be arrived at by chance in a primordial organic soup here on the earth is evidently nonsense of the highest order.

...one must contemplate not just a single shot at obtaining the enzyme, but a very large number of trials such as are supposed to have occurred in an organic soup early in the history of the Earth. The trouble is that there are about two thousand enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a random trial is only one part in 1020 x 102000 = 1040,000, an outrageously small probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted of organic soup."

-Sir Fred Hoyle

(I snagged the quote from http://home.att.net/~scott.lisa.sutherland/evolution.html . There.)

DarkDragoon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 07:36:07 PM
I take it nobody will reply to my post? *shrugs* I figured as much.
"What is Light without Darkness?"
"And to think I could kill every man, woman, and child here if I wanted to. The power of death is intoxicating"
Shadow Knight of Tarew Marr
Eternal Lurker of the Boards.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 11-17-2002 07:36:46 PM
My, we all got off-topic here, now didn't we?

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 11-17-2002 07:38:56 PM
quote:
DarkDragoon impressed everyone with:
I take it nobody will reply to my post? *shrugs* I figured as much.

Too me being silly ill mine was looked at!

Man no snags with the song either. *giggles insainly*

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 07:39:52 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Archon was all like:
I tried linking and took flak for it.

Try not to take the rest of the folks in this thread too seriously

Despite the idiocy of a number of them, you've done quite an excllent job.

Also, try not to use their tactics, you're allowing them to pick the battlefield.

Take their casual dismissals for exactly what they are, an unwillingess to admit they might have been wrong.

So far pretty much all of them have failed to provide nearly as much evidence as you have, meaning in layman's terms "you're winning."

Address only salient points, leave the rest of their crap in the garbage can where it belongs.

Ok, thats all I can think of, Night EC.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-17-2002 07:42:03 PM
Concerning Noah's Ark. I watched an interesting show on TLC about it. One of the theories is that "The Great Flood" was actually the creation of the Black Sea, not anything even close to world wide. The found evidence at the bottom of the Black Sea to actually help prove this theory, something about how the terrain was laid out.
Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 07:46:20 PM
quote:
How.... Pesco.... uughhhhhh:
Concerning Noah's Ark. I watched an interesting show on TLC about it. One of the theories is that "The Great Flood" was actually the creation of the Black Sea, not anything even close to world wide. The found evidence at the bottom of the Black Sea to actually help prove this theory, something about how the terrain was laid out.

From what i understand, this evidence is all over the world. Finding evidence that a massive flood happened locally doesn't mean that it didn't also occurr world-wide.

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 07:49:00 PM
quote:
Archon had this to say about Optimus Prime:
From what i understand, this evidence is all over the world. Finding evidence that a massive flood happened locally doesn't mean that it didn't also occurr world-wide.

Frankly... I'd think that we could have figured out that the entire was under water at some point in time during human evolution by now. Also, there are several items found within other cultures to support the Black Sea theory.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 07:55:02 PM
quote:
Pesco had this to say about Captain Planet:
Frankly... I'd think that we could have figured out that the entire was under water at some point in time during human evolution by now. Also, there are several items found within other cultures to support the Black Sea theory.

The bible and local legends say the water covered the mountains( by at least 20 feet in the bible's account). How could a flood that vertically massive be horizontally limited to the middle east? Did it just kinda drop off at the edges? Also, the flood was still there after 53 weeks. A local flood doesn't sit around that long.

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 07:59:47 PM
quote:
Archon had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
The bible and local legends say the water covered the mountains( by at least 20 feet in the bible's account). How could a flood that vertically massive be horizontally limited to the middle east? Did it just kinda drop off at the edges? Also, the flood was still there after 53 weeks. A local flood doesn't sit around that long.

The theory was that a Land Wall between the Valleys of the Current Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea was worn away some how, causing the Mediterranean to dump into the valleys. The Black Sea is STILL there today. So the creation of a water mass is a valid option.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:25:20 PM
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/flood.html

Some interesting information there using geography to support a world wide flood.

My personal favorite is the rock layer's definition. Borders are far to consice to have happened over a long period of time.

And there is plenty more if i can find my creation seminar notes.

Demos
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:36:55 PM
Ok. So the flood is rainwater, right? Rainwater is fresh water. If it stormed so long that the entire earth was covered, that would put the ratio of fresh water to salt water at a very disproportionate amount. So, all those salt-water-breathing animals that supposedly survived, would have been killed by fresh water, no?
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:44:07 PM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Ok. So the flood is rainwater, right? Rainwater is fresh water. If it stormed so long that the entire earth was covered, that would put the ratio of fresh water to salt water at a very disproportionate amount. So, all those salt-water-breathing animals that supposedly survived, would have been killed by fresh water, no?

Honestly i don't know enough about fish biology to make a statement in this area. I don't know why. Does anyone know exactly the differences between salt and fresh water fish? What makes them different?

It might have something to do with that the waters were "rain" in the sense that it fell from the sky. Not "rain" in the sense that it wasn't from clouds. It has been theorized, and accepted by most young-earth scientists, that there was a canopy of water surrounding the earth, as supported by the creation account's separation of the waters.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-17-2002 08:46:49 PM
.. Worldwide flood.

BWA HAHAHA.

Even if ALL THE ICE in the entire world melted, the oceans would rise.. maybe.. about sixty feet. Woo, worldwide flood MY ASS.

And posting the opinion of ONE person =! proof.

Demos
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:49:51 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Punky Brewster:
.. Worldwide flood.

BWA HAHAHA.

Even if ALL THE ICE in the entire world melted, the oceans would rise.. maybe.. about sixty feet. Woo, worldwide flood MY ASS.

And posting the opinion of ONE person =! != proof.

And of course...the glaciers are fresh water too. And I can say, from a screwed up Jr. High science experiment, that fresh water fish don't like salt water, and vice versa

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-17-2002 08:52:46 PM
Just a thought: If God did make a flood, it wouldn't matter how much water is on the Earth now, 'cause He's God. He can make water.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-17-2002 08:53:08 PM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Tron:
And of course...the glaciers are fresh water too. And I can say, from a screwed up Jr. High science experiment, that fresh water fish don't like salt water, and vice versa

Glaciers are ice, non?

And I said all the ice, non?

And sixty feet would basically wipe out about 5% of the land surface.. not a worldwide flood.

The fish would be unaffected.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:53:45 PM
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c037.html

Basically, they theorize that salt/fresh speciallization has micro-evolved since post-delugian times. This is backed up by genetically similar families of fish having varying tolerances for salinity and individual species of fish having rather large ranges themselves, for the most part. Over several thousand years it is quite possible for speciallization through natural selection to take place. They flesh this out on their page.

And, again, this is only theory with seemingly supportive facts, not proof. The data may be interpreted differently by others.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 08:59:32 PM
quote:
How.... Delphi Aegis.... uughhhhhh:
Glaciers are ice, non?

And I said all the ice, non?

And sixty feet would basically wipe out about 5% of the land surface.. not a worldwide flood.

The fish would be unaffected.

If the floor of the ocean were thrust up, as the bible would indicate by "the deep" being broken up, there would be more than enough water to cover all the land. If all the ice at the poles were to melt, all the water in clouds to fall, and the earth to experiance massive shifts, partially equalizing altitudes, there would indeed be a world wide flood.

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 09:03:37 PM
The possiblity of a Global Flood is there.. the question is when it happened. I see no timelines there concerning when this flood occurred. As a matter of fact, I see alot of references to dinosaur eras in there. It speaks of mass fossilization during the process.

Could one of the theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs be a global flood? Maybe. I've seen theories of a Polar Shift occuring in the history of the Earth, which is the most logical explaination for a global flood since the ice caps would melt faster then they would reform. The evidance for a Global Flood could be there at any point in time, but prove to me that it happened during the time of Noah and resulted in the virtual extinction of Mankind and all other life on Earth.

Also.. all of the areas mentioned there are coastal. Where are all the fossil sites in the very land locked areas of the world? Where at the fossil sites there? There isnt one listed in this article.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 09:11:57 PM
Oddly enough, i found this in an article that was supporting evolution. I told ya facts are interpreted with an extreme bias in this topic.

quote:
Did you know that geologists have found fossils of sea creatures on the top
of Mount Everest? Not the most obvious place to find them, you might think.
Even more surprisingly, above 8,000 m (26,000 ft) the mountain consists of
sedimentary limestone rock, which forms from the deposits of silt carried by
rivers. But there are no rivers at this altitude, and the nearest ocean is
thousands of miles away, so how did these fossils and rocks get there? Early
this century, geologists began to wonder whether the Himalaya used to be
underwater...
...Spectacular fossils of the sea creatures known as ammonites, reaching a
diameter of around 2 m (6 ft), have been found in the Gandak river and in
the Muktinath area of landlocked Nepal. Other marine sediments can be found
in several regions throughout the mountain range...
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 11-17-2002 09:15:41 PM
Mount Everest is also fairly young in geological scale of time. Infact it's fairly possible that that area was a coastal part of the land, and when the contenental plates slammed into eachother.. BOOM! Insta mountains out of coast lines...
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-17-2002 09:17:05 PM
quote:
Archon stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Oddly enough, i found this in an article that was supporting evolution. I told ya facts are interpreted with an extreme bias in this topic.

Did you know that geologists have found fossils of sea creatures on the top
of Mount Everest? Not the most obvious place to find them, you might think.
Even more surprisingly, above 8,000 m (26,000 ft) the mountain consists of
sedimentary limestone rock, which forms from the deposits of silt carried by
rivers. But there are no rivers at this altitude, and the nearest ocean is
thousands of miles away, so how did these fossils and rocks get there? Early
this century, geologists began to wonder whether the Himalaya used to be
underwater...
...Spectacular fossils of the sea creatures known as ammonites, reaching a
diameter of around 2 m (6 ft), have been found in the Gandak river and in
the Muktinath area of landlocked Nepal. Other marine sediments can be found
in several regions throughout the mountain range...

Tectonic shift, dude.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: Dr. Pvednes, PhD ]

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 09:21:31 PM
Read This:
http://www.arts.unimelb.edu.au/amu/ucr/student/1996/c.spragg/attach/geomorph/formhim.htm

Cool info on how the Himalayas were formed and evidence that shows that particular area was under or around water at some point

Go Go Tectonics!

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 11-17-2002 09:24:52 PM
Woo! I had it right!!
Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 09:39:03 PM
*shrug* It all depends on your interpretation of the facts.

And i have to go to bed now. Mom's telling me to get off. And i do have school tomorrow.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-17-2002 09:40:24 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Archon wrote:
And i do have school tomorrow.

I recommend listening while in there.

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 09:41:33 PM
Don't forget to do your homework! I expect a 7 page report on how to disprove Plate Tectonics and Continental Drift by tommorrow afternoon!

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 11-17-2002 09:42:55 PM
my question is.. does he debate this with his science teacher?
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 09:46:42 PM
quote:
Archon had this to say about Duck Tales:
If the floor of the ocean were thrust up, as the bible would indicate by "the deep" being broken up, there would be more than enough water to cover all the land. If all the ice at the poles were to melt, all the water in clouds to fall, and the earth to experiance massive shifts, partially equalizing altitudes, there would indeed be a world wide flood.

.... and if it was Tuesday, and if someone tripped on a stone, and if, and if, and if, and if...

Your hypothesis fails Occam's Razor.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 11-17-2002 09:48:13 PM
I'm still laughing over the part about the Church helping science from a few pages ago.

You know, the same church that excomunicated, sometimes EXECUTED, people for trying to scientifically prove things that went against the Church's beliefs.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Cetona
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 09:52:07 PM
Going back a few pages here, I would like to see your proof (link or whatever) that has shown that evolution is true.
Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 10:00:50 PM
Ok my oppinion...

Personally I wont have an abortion but I believe that women should have the choice of whether or not to do that.. but as someone mentioned before it shouldnt be used as a form of birth control...

Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 11-17-2002 10:02:29 PM
quote:
Cetona attempted to be funny by writing:
Going back a few pages here, I would like to see your proof (link or whatever) that has shown that evolution is true.

Awaits the bombardment of facts, links, etc etc.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 11-17-2002 10:06:24 PM
Did anyone who doesn't think there was a global thread ever read any mythology?

Almost every single religion/sect/cult whatever, has some sort of worldwide flood story.

Go figure.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 10:44:53 PM
quote:
Cetona had this to say about pies:

Why do you think we have a Flu Shot every year?

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: Pesco ]

Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 10:50:44 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin painfully thought these words up:
Did anyone who doesn't think there was a global thread ever read any mythology?

Almost every single religion/sect/cult whatever, has some sort of worldwide flood story.

Go figure.

Tales by word of mouth, my friend. People taking credit for stuff that isnt theirs. Human Nature

Tier
posted 11-17-2002 10:53:29 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Cetona:
Going back a few pages here, I would like to see your proof (link or whatever) that has shown that creationism has even an infinitely small remote chance of being proven.
Cetona
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 11:00:13 PM
I can't prove creation by God, and I don't claim that I can, but in my opinion, the same is true about evolution and I just wanted to see what this "proof of evolution" is based on.
Pesco
posted 11-17-2002 11:02:16 PM
quote:
Cetona stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I can't prove creation by God, and I don't claim that I can, but in my opinion, the same is true about evolution and I just wanted to see what this "proof of evolution" is based on.

Again... please look into the Flu Virus. Also... how the different races of the world came to be.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: