EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Deus Ex: Human Evolution
nem-x
posted 08-23-2011 07:56:29 PM
Everyone is on meth
The terrible quality fmvs from the 90s are back
It runs like shit on my comp
Console'ized press key/hold key commands

nem-x fucked around with this message on 08-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 08-23-2011 10:17:11 PM
cover system made me rage, living longer than 2 seconds to the first grunt I ever see would be nice.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-24-2011 12:01:35 AM
game is great you are a whiner
Skaw
posted 08-24-2011 01:50:26 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when nem-x said this:
Everyone is on meth
The terrible quality fmvs from the 90s are back
It runs like shit on my comp
Console'ized press key/hold key commands

I TOLD YOU MAN
I TOLD YOU ABOUT DEUS EX!

Should've just bought the Manno-technology bundle for 20 bucks instead of dropping 50 on this.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-24-2011 02:38:50 AM
Soooo looking forward to this.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 08-24-2011 08:51:48 AM
I'm not saying the game is bad

Main characters voice actor is terrible and at this point I'd rather have Steve Blum
Sometimes sniper rifle bullets shoot the cover wall that I'm peeking over even though there is a clear line of sight
Can't turn off headbob which will be probably be the death of me
Load times are long even with an ssd
The hacking minigame is good enough for me to not use the login/passwords that I find
I think you move significantly faster if you run diagonally but it could be just my imagination

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-24-2011 10:34:40 AM
I don't use guns, but I agree with the VA and the load times. i5-750/6950/SSD and the load times are just fucking brutal

Hacking minigame owns and so does getting exp for it rather than just putting in the pw

game is flawed but it owns (so far)

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-24-2011 10:53:05 AM
Hoping the gun thing doesn't become an issue, but I'm attempting a Pacifist stealth play through anyway...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-24-2011 01:41:19 PM
My first playthrough is nonlethal, as well. I'm enjoying it.
nem-x
posted 08-24-2011 08:53:18 PM
Apparently turning off vsync makes loading tons faster
Why does this work
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-24-2011 11:10:41 PM
wtf trying this
nem-x
posted 08-24-2011 11:21:44 PM
Got the shitty three second cloak. Living out my ghost in the shell fantasies with take downs. Worth it
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 08-24-2011 11:31:18 PM
I decided to play stealthily in my inaugural playthrough. And damn, it's a good thing, too; you die in two or three hits, making open combat functionally impossible.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty [/brag], so perhaps it's more viable on a lower setting. But still, there are a lot of upgrades directly and indirectly related to stealth, but not many combat upgrades either way. Even if combat becomes necessary, it still pays to play it sneaky. For instance, I discovered the best way to deal with the first boss was to use the cloak to get away from him, then headshot him from behind. Combined with the dearth of hidden passages and set pieces littered with cover, it makes me think Eidos had a stealth experience in mind--which would be fine if the game wasn't supposed to let you choose combat too.

But like I said, this might be the product of my masochistic choice of difficulty. And my lack of armor upgrades.

Also: the incessant camera bobbing is annoying and pointless. Why is that even in the game? Who thought it was a good idea?

But for all my complaining I really have enjoyed it so far. I can't help but feel the hit-and-miss voice work is a nod to the original Deus Ex and its painfully awful acting. The stealth gameplay is fun and satisfying and the game seems to reward lateral thinking. Very cool overall.

P.S. I bought the Augmented edition over Steam, so... how the hell do I get my extra stuff?

EDIT: Ha, maybe I should read the Steam forums before asking questions If anyone else needs to know, the bonus content is (inexplicably) downloaded via the Tools tab in Steam.

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 08-24-2011 at 11:40 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-25-2011 12:45:45 AM
People bitch about the VA work for the main char, but I'm kinda digging it.

He sounds quite a bit like Denton. I keep expecting to hear 'UNATCO' when he starts talking.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-25-2011 06:42:03 AM
I read a review that said at some points overt combat was forced on you and you'd die if you had no overt combat upgrades.

Confirm/Deny?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-25-2011 10:14:11 AM
Boss fights are the only ones that I can come up with that are "Forced Combat".... but I wouldn't say that's 100%
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-25-2011 01:42:17 PM
And yeah.... if you don't go for the complete stealth DBag approach (cloak and energy are a must) then shit hits the fan when you have to fight. Don't Fuck Up.
Nina
posted 08-25-2011 06:25:21 PM
On Vsync and loading: Vsync slowing down loading times is a rather common issue when the loading screen and I/O threads aren't properly separated. I'm surprised they didn't think of it, but I guess that's a very minor issue compared to what a bad PC outsourcing could have turned out to be.

Today's update is supposed to correct the Vsync loading problem.

On Pacifist playthrough: The goons in the intro count towards the kill count. Get ready to restart!

nem-x
posted 08-25-2011 06:40:56 PM
quote:
Nina obviously shouldn't have said:

On Pacifist playthrough: The goons in the intro count towards the kill count. Get ready to restart!

Welp, guess that means I can finally use my crazy upgraded assault rifle.

Nina
posted 08-25-2011 06:58:41 PM
Man, the loading time update is like night and day. Now my SSD feels like a SSD again.
nem-x
posted 08-25-2011 07:03:49 PM
Loading times fixed hnnnnnnngh
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-26-2011 01:28:18 AM
Now if they'd have just let grenades bounce instead of coating them in quick-dry epoxy...
Maradon!
posted 08-26-2011 07:00:07 AM
So wait is the game good or bad?
nem-x
posted 08-26-2011 08:17:36 AM
A game that should be played but it's not the BEST GAME IN THE LAST TEN YEARS that I've seen some people say.

I've only just made it to the second 'chapter' though

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-27-2011 09:33:00 AM
So they stick me on the top floor of an open atrium building, flood all the floors with random jackasses and tell me to escape.

This is after I've blown my pacifist playthrough and have had 9 different opportunities to acquire Sniper rifles and ammo.

Someone didn't think this shit through.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-28-2011 02:58:50 PM
Forgot I had Double Takedown.

Security guard standing next to female Civvy.

TD the Guard by distracting him, spinning around and grabbing the Chick as a human shield so he clobbers the fuck outta her, then drop him.

Um... oops?

nem-x
posted 08-29-2011 01:19:29 AM
Roughly 30 hours to beat. I probably added 10-15 hours by hacking everything, taking out every person even when I could have easily bypassed them, and exploring every nook and cranny.
Secondary npc models look like they came from deus ex 1
Could have used a lot more missions or conversations, most of the game was knockin dudes out in office environments which isn't terribly bad I suppose
Conversation battles were neat
They really should have made the upper level of hengsha a city hub
It never rained
Npc ai is incredibly easy to exploit by making noise and waiting around the corner. Or tranquilizing a chain of enemies as they try to wake up the person that just went down before them.
I felt like a video game monster tazer'ing kneecaps and dragging bodies deeper into a vent, never to be seen again.
The amount of datapads with passwords on it was retarded. More common than ammo or cash
By the end I had every aug upgraded to the max except for the newbie mark target path and tooltip hack nodes.
Don't know why people are having trouble with the bosses since they too are easily exploitable with the tazer (best weapon in game) or cloak or pillar hugging like its Demons Souls
When they say there are multiple paths and ways to get somewhere, they really mean it. Not only just to get to the main area of a mission, but almost every single room in the game has a variety of options to get in or move about.
Creativity in using the environment and objects can lead to some ridiculous outcomes and was probably the funnest part of the game, aside from punching people out
The plot was pretty weak but at least it wasn't a jrpg story
I want a ghost in the shell mod

Play this game

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-29-2011 02:00:07 AM
I'm having a blast with it, so far.

I particularly like the cover system, I've never used one that felt so fluid to me. It quickly became second nature.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-29-2011 09:52:52 AM
quote:
nem-x stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Roughly 30 hours to beat. I probably added 10-15 hours by hacking everything, taking out every person even when I could have easily bypassed them, and exploring every nook and cranny.
Secondary npc models look like they came from deus ex 1
Could have used a lot more missions or conversations, most of the game was knockin dudes out in office environments which isn't terribly bad I suppose
Conversation battles were neat
They really should have made the upper level of hengsha a city hub
It never rained
Npc ai is incredibly easy to exploit by making noise and waiting around the corner. Or tranquilizing a chain of enemies as they try to wake up the person that just went down before them.
I felt like a video game monster tazer'ing kneecaps and dragging bodies deeper into a vent, never to be seen again.
The amount of datapads with passwords on it was retarded. More common than ammo or cash
By the end I had every aug upgraded to the max except for the newbie mark target path and tooltip hack nodes.
Don't know why people are having trouble with the bosses since they too are easily exploitable with the tazer (best weapon in game) or cloak or pillar hugging like its Demons Souls
When they say there are multiple paths and ways to get somewhere, they really mean it. Not only just to get to the main area of a mission, but almost every single room in the game has a variety of options to get in or move about.
Creativity in using the environment and objects can lead to some ridiculous outcomes and was probably the funnest part of the game, aside from punching people out
The plot was pretty weak but at least it wasn't a jrpg story
I want a ghost in the shell mod

Play this game

I'll have to check out the Tazer bit... Sadly the bosses got EASIER as I went... then again the second boss is "Throw EMP, Shoot, Throw EMP, Shoot" and the third boss was "Throw EMP, Charge, Typhoon, Typhoon, Typhoon". The last boss was really piss-poor testing... One weapon and you can bypass the entire fight.

Yes, chain Darting people was OP. Sneaking into police HQ, darting someone, dragging them into the vent while another cop watches does NOT raise alert levels... Air Vents are just hungry and will eat a cop given the chance.

All female models appear to be the same.... which results in the CEO's old secretary having an impressive rack. *shudder*

Sniper kill someone, "Alarmed". Kill someone with a silenced Assault Rifle or Pistol, "Hostile". Don't get that shit since the Sniper is the loudest god damn thing I've seen.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-29-2011 01:05:45 PM
quote:
How.... Random Insanity Generator.... uughhhhhh:
Sniper kill someone, "Alarmed". Kill someone with a silenced Assault Rifle or Pistol, "Hostile". Don't get that shit since the Sniper is the loudest god damn thing I've seen.

The only time that's ever happened to me is when the first pistol/assault rifle round didn't kill them.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-29-2011 01:06:47 PM
Was anyone actually able to save Malik when you crashed into Hengsha? The mission descrip and conversation make it seem like you could, I was just wondering.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-29-2011 01:24:13 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis was listening to Cher while typing:
Was anyone actually able to save Malik when you crashed into Hengsha? The mission descrip and conversation make it seem like you could, I was just wondering.

Did it without leaving the roof where I dropped. Yes, I shot the Box Guard to death as well. Honestly wasn't too hard.

Most people sniper shoot the barrels and run down there to engage from close up, especially when the Box drops down. Granted one EMP grenade will kill that thing if you wanna be down there with it.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-29-2011 01:34:05 PM
Ah, I focused on the guards and didn't even see the box robot. Not that it would have helped, I was out of emp grenades anyway. :/

Oh well. Next playthrough, perhaps.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-29-2011 01:40:57 PM
First time I lost her because I took too long to start taking people out. And like I said, I did it with gunfire from where I dropped in at. You have cover and if you come with Sniper and Ammo most of the guards just need a hit, not even a headshot to kill.

The part that I'm wondering about is: When you get down to the end and locate the scientists, who comes to pick them up for you since you failed to rescue Malik...

nem-x
posted 08-30-2011 08:20:45 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegis probably says this to all the girls:

spoilers but stun gun is best gun

Tarquinn
posted 08-31-2011 05:16:29 AM
Finally got around to start playing the game. Just finished the first real mission/level, and I can say that they managed to properly capture the Deus Ex atmosphere. Awesome!

The protagonist sounds a little bit hoarse and the experience system is horribly biased towards a stealth/non-lethal game though.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-01-2011 04:44:06 AM
Picked this up yesterday.

The graphics from the 90's and the way everyone seems to twitch like crazy in conversations are a little disconcerting but overall I'm enjoying it.

Tarquinn
posted 09-01-2011 09:23:26 AM
The graphics are fine in my opinion. Half of the cast suffering from ParkinsonĀ“s disease is a problem however.

Unless it is a plot point and Majestic-12 has started spreading the Gray Death disease a little bit earlier.

Tarquinn
posted 09-02-2011 04:32:00 AM
Relevant comic: http://www.dorkly.com/comic/22800/deus-ex-distractions
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-02-2011 04:34:02 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mortious!
Picked this up yesterday.

The graphics from the 90's and the way everyone seems to twitch like crazy in conversations are a little disconcerting but overall I'm enjoying it.

The Mort seal of "it doesn't suck" is good enough for me. I'll pick up a copy via steam the next time I have a videogame itch.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: