EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Deus Ex: Human Evolution
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-02-2011 05:47:50 PM
I rather like the graphics.
Maradon!
posted 09-02-2011 06:03:16 PM
Video game graphics have not improved all that much in the past five years.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-02-2011 06:32:37 PM
Yeah, thanks to the consoles.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-02-2011 07:03:49 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
Video game graphics have not improved all that much in the past five years.

The textures are terrible and everyone has that "my hair is also part of my face" thing where very few people have hair that's not just a texture plastered on their head like they did in every FPS from the 90's.

However, the reflections on Denton's specs are very nice.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-02-2011 08:10:28 PM
Also: the skybox
Maradon!
posted 09-03-2011 01:27:06 AM
quote:
x--TarquinnO-('-'Q) :
Yeah, thanks to the consoles.

PC's used to drive console development. The opposite is true now and it kinda sucks hard.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-03-2011 02:12:27 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
PC's used to drive console development. The opposite is true now and it kinda sucks hard.

PC gamers used to not put up with shit. Console gamers are willing to take any piece of shit flopped out on a disc or in a cart.

But now there are more Consoles than PCs. Why make the effort to make something good when we can half-ass it at most and still make major return on investment?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-04-2011 01:08:22 AM
All of mort's points are true. The game is still FUCKING FUN though.

I don't think I want to replay it with the 'kill nobody' achievement because holy fuck that sounds awful, especially since the guards in the intro level (Where you have no takedowns and only the combat rifle to deal with them) also count.

The endings were very good though, I just wonder which one is 'canon'.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-04-2011 02:30:25 AM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
All of mort's points are true. The game is still FUCKING FUN though.

I don't think I want to replay it with the 'kill nobody' achievement because holy fuck that sounds awful, especially since the guards in the intro level (Where you have no takedowns and only the combat rifle to deal with them) also count.

The endings were very good though, I just wonder which one is 'canon'.

If discussion on the game's TV Tropes page is any indication:

1. The guards in the intro segment don't count against you for a pacifist run, but you can slip by them with some tricky stealth if you don't want to chance it.

2. The canonical ending is probably the one where everyone dies, sadly =\ Well, balls to that, I say. Sarif FTW! Augments for everyone! YE SHALL BE AS GODS

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 09-04-2011 at 02:31 AM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-04-2011 10:19:05 AM
It's not too hard to slip by them, but I found it easiest to "rush" by them. All of them are occupied when you first come into their areas allowing you to get a good distance through the room if you're fast.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Khyron
posted 09-04-2011 12:54:19 PM
It's been discussed to death over on SA, and they all agree the intro guards do count.

Also, while the XP system is totally biased towards stealth, to be honest, there's a LOT more stealth augs than non-stealth ones so a non-stealthy character doesn't NEED quite as many points. That said, I think stealthy is honestly a bit easier anyways.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-04-2011 06:28:15 PM
The last few locations (from the docks onwards) are laughably easy because you're so damn powerful.

Just run in, Typhoon, then knock the survivors out. Kill 10 men in 20 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-04-2011 06:46:36 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Cuba:
The last few locations (from the docks onwards) are laughably easy because you're so damn powerful.

Just run in, Typhoon, then knock the survivors out. Kill 10 men in 20 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

If you can get a group of them at a choke point via combat, one gas grenade (Or mine) takes them all out as well. Especially useful are those gas grenades on the final level, at least for a pacifist run...

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-04-2011 06:47:45 PM
That's assuming you bought Typhoon.

I didn't till just before the 3rd boss because he's killable with 1 Gas Grenade and 2 or 3 L2 Typhoon hits (I think it's 3)

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-05-2011 07:38:13 AM
WTF did they make his skull agument out of?!?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-05-2011 01:01:57 PM
Anyone upgrade their "faulty" chip at LIMB and get your ass handed to you because of it yet?

I didn't. My paranoid personality paid off for once.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-05-2011 03:58:09 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Anyone upgrade their "faulty" chip at LIMB and get your ass handed to you because of it yet?

I didn't. My paranoid personality paid off for once.

I knew doing that would be bad in some way, but I did it anyway because I was afraid something even worse would happen if I didn't.

Thankfully that boss fight was relatively easy even with the UI screwage.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-05-2011 04:40:55 PM
Sarif's ending is the best.

Forward thinking all the way.

Khyron
posted 09-06-2011 06:32:06 PM
Haven't seen it posted here yet, so check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy42o

Khyron fucked around with this message on 09-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-06-2011 08:21:13 PM
quote:
Khyron said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU&NR=1

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-06-2011 10:16:59 PM
quote:
Khyron stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Um... ok...

Khyron
posted 09-07-2011 04:25:23 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about pies:
Um... ok...

Maybe this one will be a little more up your alley :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULX90wSLw8

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-07-2011 09:58:19 PM
The first one seems to be using DX1 as a rant against DLC (and the DLC they're bitching about was free if you went to a particular vendor and really didn't do SHIT for the game other than let you cheat a few places if you wanted to be lazy) and the other one seems to be using Wizard of Oz to claim that the main character of DX:HR is little more than a corp robot doing whatever his masters tell him.

Again... um. ok?

Khyron
posted 09-07-2011 10:32:32 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Knight Rider:
The first one seems to be using DX1 as a rant against DLC (and the DLC they're bitching about was free if you went to a particular vendor and really didn't do SHIT for the game other than let you cheat a few places if you wanted to be lazy) and the other one seems to be using Wizard of Oz to claim that the main character of DX:HR is little more than a corp robot doing whatever his masters tell him.

Again... um. ok?

You're reading way, way too much into it. It's not that deep. The first one is DX:HR in the DX1 engine (the part where JC chops a guy to death is supposed to be the 'takedown cutscene') that also pokes fun at DLC.

The second is just that Adam is the Tin Man.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-08-2011 12:29:32 AM
Oh, then it wasn't that I was missing the point, it's that there was no point...
Tarquinn
posted 09-08-2011 02:31:10 AM
The point was that it was funny.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-08-2011 06:55:24 AM
Sense of humour needed in here, stat!
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-08-2011 08:17:10 AM
Meh, the second one had some humor. The first one lost any funny to the ranting.

I mean, the Dance vid had more humor. Especially in the "oh fuck, that was an EMP grenade" reaction I had.

nem-x
posted 09-08-2011 08:52:09 AM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-08-2011 03:37:58 PM
quote:
Khyron said:
Maybe this one will be a little more up your alley :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULX90wSLw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsO1K1lp_nQ

Khyron
posted 09-08-2011 03:49:05 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mortious wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsO1K1lp_nQ

Was that reed and pritchard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4 Watch till the end, so worth it.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 09-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-08-2011 05:59:11 PM
Nina
posted 09-10-2011 06:22:36 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Tron:
the DLC they're bitching about was free if you went to a particular vendor

How, exactly, does this not sound all kinds of wrong to you?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-11-2011 09:50:52 PM
quote:
Nina had this to say about Tron:
How, exactly, does this not sound all kinds of wrong to you?

Because other vendors offered different DLC at their own discretion? Example: TF2 items for pre-ordering via Steam.

Tarquinn
posted 09-12-2011 07:15:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrO-OtzBh0
Tarquinn
posted 09-12-2011 07:16:30 AM
Also, GOTY.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-12-2011 11:17:05 AM
Am I the only one who isn't really thrilled with the game?

I want to like it so badly, and parts of it I do; but for all its talk of "Carve your own path!" it feels really punishing since my path on the first playthrough is to shoot 'em all and ask questions later.

I just got off playing Space Marine, so maybe I'm still in the mode of a Run n' Gun shooter.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-12-2011 11:44:26 AM
The "Ghost" experience point boost for not being detected at all in missions is quite substantial and adds up.

But makes 99% of the guns absolutely pointless.

nem-x
posted 09-12-2011 07:03:41 PM
It was probably meant to be played as a stealth game. Otherwise it's a mediocre cover shooter.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-13-2011 05:33:13 PM
I recently finished my "pacifist" playthrough without getting pacifist. Odd, since I went out of my way to be unseen where possible, stungunning as I went. However, near the end, I was all proud since I had saved the PAPS for the crowds I knew I was going to encounter.

I obliterated the first group and was checking their corpses when I noted that one was dead; apparently flinging the body of one guy into another counts as a kill, and I had used it in points throughout the game.

Well fuck.

At least I saved Malik. :/

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: