EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Deus Ex: Human Evolution
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-13-2011 07:02:53 PM
quote:
Mortious probably says this to all the girls:
The "Ghost" experience point boost for not being detected at all in missions is quite substantial and adds up.

But makes 99% of the guns absolutely pointless.

I'm getting my XP from killing as many people as humanly possible. I figure that'll negate the "someone noticed you" penalty.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-13-2011 07:11:31 PM
Saving Malik becomes a cakewalk once you have several batteries all charged.
Nina
posted 09-13-2011 09:13:47 PM
quote:
So quoth Random Insanity Generator:
Because other vendors offered different DLC at their own discretion? Example: TF2 items for pre-ordering via Steam.

That's not the same thing. At all.

TF2 items are a Valve initiative to provide some incentive to both play their game and use their service. Choosing to order on Steam might make your Demoman's vision augmented, but it does not alter your Deus Ex game experience in any way.

Retailer exclusives, on the other hand, mean that the game developer has to either develop exclusive content, or take some of their existing content and lock it down to a given retailer. Then, in not purchasing or preordering from that retailer, you're missing out on some content and your game experience is effectively diminished.

In other words, the developer has to actively hide content (and likely pocket a fat cheque in the process) so as to force you to expose yourself to dubious retailers... Which will then try to shove their used games sales, their preorders, their game disc warranties and other myriad shit you really don't care to hear when you're just trying to purchase a damn video game.

It might be an increasingly common practice, that doesn't make it right. The fact that you aren't feeling the least bit of indignation just proves how well these slimebags have become at manipulating sheep with marginal benefits (whoo, used game for $55 instead of $60!) and bribes.

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-13-2011 09:53:38 PM
quote:
Verily, Nina doth proclaim:
That's not the same thing. At all.

TF2 items are a Valve initiative to provide some incentive to both play their game and use their service. Choosing to order on Steam might make your Demoman's vision augmented, but it does not alter your Deus Ex game experience in any way.

Retailer exclusives, on the other hand, mean that the game developer has to either develop exclusive content, or take some of their existing content and lock it down to a given retailer. Then, in not purchasing or preordering from that retailer, you're missing out on some content and your game experience is effectively diminished.

In other words, the developer has to actively hide content (and likely pocket a fat cheque in the process) so as to force you to expose yourself to dubious retailers... Which will then try to shove their used games sales, their preorders, their game disc warranties and other myriad shit you really don't care to hear when you're just trying to purchase a damn video game.

It might be an increasingly common practice, that doesn't make it right. The fact that you aren't feeling the least bit of indignation just proves how well these slimebags have become at manipulating sheep with marginal benefits (whoo, used game for $55 instead of $60!) and bribes.

Projecting your feelings on others much?

Had a friend that bought via Steam. He played through the game. Didn't feel like he missed anything. Beat the game with ease without the "extras". Did kinda want the Grenade Launcher during the final boss to use it the way I did, but didn't NEED to have it and actually found a better solution to the same issue.

Honestly the "add-on" mission added some extra XP (killing people) and that was about it. Sure it "gave you" some extra background on Tong (no it didn't), but other than the extra XP from killing people it was kinda shoehorned in and didn't flow properly with the rest of the game. It was pretty obviously added after the fact given how it interfaced with the game and used a completely separate area from the rest of the game world.

I walk in and slap down a pre-order of my own will. The guys at the shop that I frequent make token mentions of other crap because they have to, I know they have to and that's it. If I'm interested in something, I'll usually ask them about it before they mention it. If you buy something used that's still New, you deserve what you get. The extent of my used game purchases have been things that you're not going to find in most other retailer locations: PS2 games, older 360 games, Gamecube games, etc. What's the diff between buying it at a store I'm physically able to go to vs buying it from a "Collector" on EBay and waiting 2 weeks or something for it to arrive?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-13-2011 09:55:18 PM
quote:
Nina had this to say about Tron:

And this part right here? Yeah.. go back and look at New Vegas. Look at Arkham City.

Oh, wait.. those didn't really change much of anything overall... despite MULTIPLE retailers getting in on the action. Hrm...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-13-2011 10:10:38 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not the DLC changes the game drastically, it's the fact that you're not getting the entire game that you've paid for because the game publishers want to chop up a game that's already been developed, and then sell you those missing pieces through microtransactions on top of the game purchase itself.

DLC was originally intended for developers to add things to games after release that enhanced the game, but simply wasn't part of the initial release. Think extra tracks for a Guitar Hero game, or extra levels based on original trilogy movies in Star Wars The Force Unleashed. This kind of DLC is good, has no bearing on the main game itself, and gives you a reason to continue playing that game once you've consumed all of the normal content. And if you choose not to buy it, you're only missing out on bonus content.

When you have things that actually affect how the game is played, however small (weapons in your example), then you are changing how two people might be able to experience the core game simply because they purchased from different merchants. This is bad. If two people purchase the same game, they should get the same game. And they should get all of the game.

Gamers don't want to shell out for DLC on launch day just to play the game, they want to shell out for DLC after they've consumed the original game's content, in order to have new content to consume belonging to a game that they enjoy. This practice is nothing but terrible for consumers.

TL;DR DLC should be used to extend an already complete game, not be required in order to make the game complete in the first place.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 09-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
nem-x
posted 09-13-2011 10:42:58 PM
They should've made the pep gun a preorder bonus because that gun is shit
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-14-2011 06:28:27 AM
quote:
nem-x said:
They should've made the pep gun a preorder bonus because that gun is shit

Yeah... I used it once and thought "Wow, it just makes them stumble a bit?" and chucked it in the nearest trash can.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-14-2011 08:00:42 AM
You can knockout people at close distances with it.

But yeah, besides the cool graphic effect, it is mostly useless.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 09-14-2011 at 08:01 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-14-2011 11:45:36 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about pies:
Yeah... I used it once and thought "Wow, it just makes them stumble a bit?" and chucked it in the nearest trash can.

Stumble a bit my ass... I've flung people off of edges and into each other killing them with it.

It's great for some Ragdoll Physics in Hengsha... Crouch next to someone near an edge, aim up and fire.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-14-2011 12:32:31 PM
Tarquinn
posted 09-14-2011 12:47:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^

quote:
Tarquinn stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrO-OtzBh0

Khyron
posted 09-14-2011 04:24:40 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
^^^^^^^^^

Man that was all the way on the other page, how do you expect me to keep track of these things
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-14-2011 08:20:33 PM
quote:
Mortious's fortune cookie read:

Is the rocket launcher worth bothering to keep at all? I picked one up with two rockets in the FEMA complex, both of them had a direct hit on a mech, and it still wasn't enough to bring the damn thing down. For the record, I'm playing on give me deus.

Also, I recently found out the popular pronunciation is actually "duce" as in "double deuce," not "day us" as in "deus ex machina".

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-14-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Khyron
posted 09-14-2011 08:30:44 PM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Is the rocket launcher worth bothering to keep at all? I picked one up with two rockets in the FEMA complex, both of them had a direct hit on a mech, and it still wasn't enough to bring the damn thing down. For the record, I'm playing on give me deus.

Also, I recently found out the popular pronunciation is actually "duce" as in "double deuce," not "day us" as in "deus ex machina".

It's pronounced Day-us and the people who call it deuce are FUCKING GODDAMN WRONG.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-14-2011 09:08:50 PM
Day-oose.
Tarquinn
posted 09-15-2011 03:08:19 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator was listening to Cher while typing:
Day-oose.

This is close.

Latin has basically the same pronunciation as German.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-15-2011 04:41:18 AM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
This is close.

You can blame the Holy Roman Empire for that.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-15-2011 04:46:28 AM
quote:
Tarquinn Model 2000 was programmed to say:
This is close.

I knew I wasted 3 years in German I in high school for something!

Maradon!
posted 09-20-2011 07:05:09 AM
You can kill people and still get the ghost bonus so long as they're dead before they're alerted and the gunshot didn't alert anyone else.

Non-lethal takedowns, however, are worth 50xp each, and you miss out on some of that.

So alternately you can use non-lethal takedowns on everyone, stack their supine bodies in a big heap, and throw a grenade onto it. Spares them the awkward moment when they all wake up in a big heap with their co-workers anyway.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-21-2011 01:02:09 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past was naked while typing this:

Being popular pronunciation doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: