EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Minecraft
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-17-2010 12:38:30 PM
Who plays?

I'm considering hosting a Survival Multiplayer server, just open to a select few people. Anyone here interested?

If you don't know what Minecraft is, let me educate you! It's a game where the world is your oyster! You create tools to mine, build, fight, and survive. Basically you dig blocks, craft them into tools which allow you to dig different blocks, which in turn let you use other blocks for building, fighting, or more digging.

A trailer!

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-17-2010 12:40:37 PM
quote:
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country.

Hooray for Sony!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Khyron
posted 09-17-2010 12:51:02 PM
Maradon!
posted 09-17-2010 10:08:42 PM
The hell is the difference between the pay version and normal version?

Why would I pay for a game that looks like a predecessor to the original Wolfenstein?

Greenlit
posted 09-18-2010 02:46:08 AM
Free to play is an outdated single player. Pay to play is constantly updated single player + multiplayer.
Maradon!
posted 09-18-2010 02:03:02 PM
Ok christ I'm buying it

This is better than that old blockland game

Maradon!
posted 09-18-2010 02:06:22 PM
and the website is down
Maradon!
posted 09-19-2010 04:27:27 AM
the hell I just played this game for 9 hours
Maradon!
posted 09-19-2010 06:54:30 PM
Once their shit comes back up, I'd be totally down for some multiplayer.

I've invested probably 60% of my waking hours this weekend in this goddamn game. I have a map with an entire fortress made of glass and ice. I have another one where I hollowed out an entire mesa, from the cloud layer all the way down to lava and bedrock at parts. All I'm missing is a fucking balrog.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-19-2010 10:37:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:

As did I. My reaction was quite similar.

edit: Since the main website is down, anyone know where I can get a recipe list? Also, what the hell can I do with eggs?

So far I've got..
- Ladders
- Stairs
- Containers
- Forge
- Workbench
- Torches
- Axe
- Sword
- Pick
- Shovel
- Button
- Pants
- Glass
- Door

I also made a minecart but I have no idea what to do with it.

I found a trick to make a beacon to my home base for when I explore. I look straight down and jump, then I can place a block under me. I make sure that I build two blocks thick. Once the tower is high enough I use a pick to carve my way back down while placing torches on the main tower. The tower can be seen from great distances away and is a useful point of reference.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-19-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-19-2010 11:58:52 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Ghost of Forums Past who doth quote:
Since the main website is down, anyone know where I can get a recipe list?

Recipe list

The beacon idea is great, I just wish it worked underground

My castle is hardcore. Note the tree inside: I didn't plant it, that bitch was there when I started.

Just past the courtyard behind the castle you find the quarry. Strip mining is pro. Stairs blocks are double pro.

At the bottom of the open air quarry you get to...

The subway! (cart and tracks pending)

This takes you to...

THE SUBWAY STATION. Glass surround so monsters can't surprise you. And yes, I flooded my tunnels like ten times building that shit.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-20-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 11:02:31 AM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Welcome to Minecraft.

It's the Free-to-play weekend right now! enjoy while it lasts.

The free version is a lego-ish sandbox where you can create and destroy to your hearts content.

The paid version is a survival game where you mine for materials, turn the materials into useful tools, and then use the tools to dive deep underground in search of riches.

It's currently $10bux, going to $15bux when it reaches 'beta' status (Which is soon! Notch is just going to flesh out the survival multi-player to make it beta), and when it's done it'll be $20bux. or euros instead of bux but whatever.

Your crafting link sucks and is outdated. Try this : http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

If you want to have some fun customizing the game try the painterly pack : http://painterlypack.net/

Quick rundown on stuff :

1) Make a wooden pick first. You need it to mine coal and stone. To do so, punch down a tree, make a crafting table, and make a wooden pick first. Better materials mine faster, last longer, and can mine better materials. Stone picks can mine out iron, iron picks can mine out redstone/gold/diamond. Diamond picks can mine out anything, last longest, and mine the fastest.

2) Gold tools suck. They last as long as wood, they mine slowly, and they can't mine iron or better materials. Gold as a whole is mostly useless right now, if you really want something to do with it then grab the painterly pack and make it into fancy armor. Just don't go spelunking in it.

3) If you find cobblestone rooms underground, they're treasure rooms! Inside is a monster spawner and treasure chests. You can find apples (The only stacking HP restoration item), saddles to ride pigs (Seriously), free iron items like buckets, and records.

4) If you don't set the game to peaceful, then nighttime is not your friend. Spiders are jumping assholes, skeletons will fuck you in the ass with arrows, and zombies are pretty much just zombies. Daylight makes spiders passive until attacked, zombies and skeletons will light on fire.

5) Creepers become passive if you give them a red flower.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 11:29:53 AM
Eggs do nothing yet. Neither does the fishing pole. They're works-in-progress right now.

Minecarts ride along tracks. They can be pushed by a person, you can let gravity carry you down, or you can combine a minecart and a furnace to make an engine that'll push you. The engine is a bit weak right now, it has problems with hills, that's being addressed in a future update.

Combine a minecart and a chest to make a cart to haul your loot out of whatever mine you're in.

Updates used to be once a week, regular as clockwork. Then the game's popularity exploded like you wouldn't beleive, and now the main developer is doing constant interviews and trying to organize this as a business. He went from like, 10-50 purchases a day to 1000 purchases a day a few weeks back, and the popularity has only gotten higher since then.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 11:50:01 AM
Buckets can be made out of iron (Or found in treasure chests) and allow you to move liquids. Milk can be obtained by right-clicking a cow but has no use in-game yet.

Water is useful for making elevators and irrigating farms. Boats travel very, very quickly up waterfalls which is how you use it to make an elevator.

Lava is useful for incinerating items you don't need. Drop the items into the lava and as long as they don't randomly bounce back next to you the items can be permanently destroyed. Lava can also provide light, melt snow, and power a furnace for a long time (but the bucket is destroyed so this use is not recommended).

Water and lava can only be picked up at their sources. Water can flow down a waterfall and create a large flood, but only the source at the top of the waterfall can be picked up and moved.

If you place two water sources 1 square apart, they will create a new source in the middle square. You can use this to create infinite water springs. this trick does not work with lava.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 11:58:34 AM
Tarq, since the sound was off for you I don't know if you missed this or not. I hope not, it'd be a damn shame for the greatest Minecraft video to not be seen and appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9xMNuAfwE#t=0m50s

Also goddamnit I hate the 10-minute edit limit, and the fact that url's don't auto-url on these forums

Khyron fucked around with this message on 09-20-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 12:18:17 PM
Maradon!
posted 09-20-2010 04:18:11 PM
quote:
x--KhyronO-('-'Q) :
Your crafting link sucks and is outdated. Try this : http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

At the time of that posting the minecraft wiki was crashed and not loading, just like the main site.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Khyron
posted 09-20-2010 05:24:15 PM
Free to play weekend won't last much longer!

quote:
Longest free weekend ever

If youÂ’ve been refreshing the site all day, you mightÂ’ve noticed I put it back up for a while. It started running slower and slower, until it finally died under the pressure.

TkTech from the #minecraft irc channel is helping rewrite the code to make the database not run in linear time (I hacked together a quick test DB early on, and because I fear web backend development, I havenÂ’t touched it since). Progress seems to be good, but itÂ’s not quite finished yet. I donÂ’t know when it will be finished, but the plan is to cut over to the new code base when itÂ’s done.

Also a new unofficial trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I

It's pretty amazing, for one guy developing this alone it's reached this point now where he's got over half a million euros in sales and it hasn't even reached beta yet.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-20-2010 06:36:51 PM
Smelt gold into bars and create fort knox style piles in a fort

Or make golden apples for super emergencies

Maradon!
posted 09-20-2010 09:08:32 PM
I've found a total of like six gold bars in this game. Maybe I need to dig down more?
Steven Steve
posted 09-21-2010 12:19:12 AM
Yeah they're pretty rare, just make a bunch of ladders and then dig straight down until you hit bedrock/lava, then do a huge gridmine until you hit a cave. You'll probably get like 10-20 gold per cave which is horribly slow, but just do it. Also gold is useless so who cares, it's all about the iron and diamond (and redstone if you're a massive nerd)
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-21-2010 04:36:16 AM
You can plant trees?

Also, who's volunteering to host the Evercrest server?

Steven Steve
posted 09-21-2010 01:52:54 PM
Yes you can plant trees, they just need to be planted on ordinary dirt with at least 4 cubes free above the sapling (including the cube the sapling is in I believe - it's just best to chop directly upward from the plant location until you can't hit anything anymore). To get saplings just prune leaves/branches or wait for them to degrade after you've harvested the trunk of the tree.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Maradon!
posted 09-21-2010 09:06:19 PM
Um.... oops

Maradon!
posted 09-21-2010 09:22:51 PM
Wiki is semi-down, crafting recipes removed. Seems to go straight to forums.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-21-2010 10:51:30 PM
My God...it's Dwarf Fortress hermit challenge in a can! And with an awesome 3D graphics set!
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 09-21-2010 11:19:00 PM
Yeah, apparently if you dig through the bottom of the world, the room you're in counts as "Outside," and monsters will spawn there at night.
Steven Steve
posted 09-22-2010 12:38:39 AM
Yeah the caverns almost always have enemies constantly spawning and fucking you in the ass so beware, it's like System Shock or something

Greenlit
posted 09-22-2010 02:13:16 AM
Monsters only spawn in darkness.

Torches.

Khyron
posted 09-22-2010 10:06:59 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past painfully thought these words up:
You can plant trees?

Also, who's volunteering to host the Evercrest server?

I tried running a server last night and it worked well for ~30 minutes with 3 people on it. Then after two more connected, within 5 minutes it had become unplayable. My cable connection could not keep up

Steven Steve
posted 09-22-2010 01:49:28 PM

Maradon!
posted 09-22-2010 07:29:33 PM
I'm running a test server at 96.235.22.69

Give it a shot

[edit: Server seems to start lagging and rubber banding real easily, and I'm hosting it on a decent laptop and connecting over my local network. I keep getting server overloaded warnings and it's just me logged on (?). Also, sound seems to be broken in the game in general. I'll have to mine another day!

I'll leave the server up, feel free to try it and let me know what your experiences are.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-22-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 09-22-2010 10:51:32 PM
Note: You must use an Iron Pick if you want to mine anything useful. I destroyed diamond ore and a shitton of gold with my stone pick before I figured that out.

Also, if you find a great pocket, always always always make a "safe room" with a storage chest if you are deep underground and mining goodies. I found a lava/water room where the walls were literally lined with gold (and coal). The lava lit the way and I didn't have to worry about baddies spawning anywhere. I was loaded down with more rare elements than I ever imagined existed. I mined to greedily, too deep. I sprung a leak and touched lava. I ran around on fire in agony until I burnt to death inches away from water. My gear landed in the water and the current swept it into the lava.

If I had a safe room I'd be able to store everything there without worrying about losing it when I die. Also remember that when you go very deep you may find a lot of amazing stuff but it's also very dangerous. It's only a matter of time until you spring a leak on the ceiling and flood the whole place with lava.

Learn from my mistakes.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 09-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-22-2010 11:52:27 PM
I just keep a stack of stone blocks in slot 1 and if I poke a hole through to some water or lava, I just pop a stone block right back into it. Instant fix! You have tons of time to put it there before any irreversible damage is done, too.
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-23-2010 01:50:17 AM
And if that doesn't work, there's also the option of carrying a bucket of water on you.
Steven Steve
posted 09-23-2010 05:04:32 PM
Yes. Also use a compass (a diamond of iron ingots with a redstone in the middle) to aid in your surveying. It will always point to your spawn point so you can cover large distances of land in the search for cave entrances without losing your bearings.

Steven Steve
posted 09-23-2010 05:07:49 PM
Also I guess people have sort of said this but if you're going spelunking then you should have a workbench, a furnace, chests (if you're afraid of dying), and several stacks of sticks and coal. That should give you about everything you need to clear the place out. Whenever you need to craft new tools just plop the workbench and/or furnace down, and you can make torches as you go. When you're done with the workbench and furnace just pick them back up.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2010 05:55:50 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Willias booooze lime pole over bench lick:
And if that doesn't work, there's also the option of carrying a bucket of water on you.

This can backfire - obsidian is indestructible

Steven Steve
posted 09-23-2010 06:24:45 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
This can backfire - obsidian is indestructible

No, it is destructible, it just takes a very long time to destroy and you need a diamond pickaxe to do it. People farm obsidian by doing this to make nigh-indestructible base materials.

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 09-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2010 10:42:13 PM
That server is back up at the IP I posted above, and playing reasonably well for me at least. Still just the basic map and default settings but I'll tinker with it later.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: