EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Some warlock advice please
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-17-2007 08:57:28 AM
So I started playing WoW again (Horde, of course). I am teaming up with a friend and her priest. As I never played a Warlock beyond lvl 5, and stopped playing the game in the first quarter of 2005, almost two years ago, I'd be grateful for some general advice.

First, what are the warlock's means of escaping/surviving bad encounters? My mage could use frost nova, shields, blink, etc. My rogue, flash powder and sprint. What does the warlock do to save his sorry ass?

Any great builds I should pursue? Most of the time I will play together with a (shadow) priest. I am not sure if that will/should affect my build.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 08:59 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-17-2007 09:04:03 AM
quote:
Tarquinn needs the precioussses:
So I started playing WoW again (Horde, of course). I am teaming up with a friend and her priest. As I never played a Warlock beyond lvl 5, and stopped playing the game in the first quarter of 2005, almost two years ago, I'd be grateful for some general advice.

First, what are the warlock's means of escaping/surviving bad encounters? My mage could use frost nova, shields, blink, etc. My rogue, flash powder and sprint. What does the warlock do to save his sorry ass?

Any great builds I should pursue? Most of the time I will play together with a (shadow) priest. I am not sure if that will/should affect my build.

Fear. You've got like three of them. Just burn one and run the opposite direction. If you're with a shadow priest, the shadow priest will be able to tank all non-elite mobs after shadowform at 40.

As for spec, go affliction.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 01-17-2007 10:20:48 AM
Personally I think curse of exhaustion is a great way to keep a mob away. If I fear and they are sprinting back to get me since they have 4 large dots ticking down, then curse of exhaustion only serves to help me with my escape.

The way I leveled my warlock was affliction till 40 then switched to a little destruction. Dark Pact allows you to use your pet as a little mana battery (I used a succubus just incase I had to seduce, and she does pretty good damage) for less down time.

after that i'd finish off affliction with instant cast howl of terror contagion and unstable affliction. There are a few more points required in the middle of the tree some people I know went shadows embrace for PVE raiding, but CoE has always been fun for me.

at some point in leveling your warlock demonology becomes viable, I don't remember what point that is though. Probabbly 60 or close to that.

DrPaintThinner fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 10:21 AM.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-17-2007 11:47:58 AM
Destruction CAN be viable, but more often than not it is only viable if you have someone else to take the damage and are in a group of a few people when stuff will die fast and DoTs dont have time to tick. However, now that you can reduce interrupt chance of any destro spell by a significant amount, it gains a lot of potential for soloing. I believe Nae levelled as almost exclusive destruction, she could probably givey ou some advice if you want to go that way I only switched to a tri spec (7/21/21) when I was raiding. I never really soloed much with it.

But for levelling, I'd still highly recommend affliction. Hardcore affliction. Seriously hardcore affliction.

You could probably be as efficient with demonology after you get the felguard at 41 points, so if you feel like respeccing, go ahead.

And your only real escape spell is fear. CoEX isn't really that great as an escape spell as it is entirely too short lasting and doesn't have much of an effect as all. If you really have to get away, fear does a great job of that. Sure, other stuff may get aggroed...but you're running away anyways.

I'd probably go with this if I went with affliction for levelling to 60. If you want a level by level breakdown, let me know.

41/10/0

Since you likely won't be raiding, there isn't too much use in getting improved shadow bolt. Sure, it would help you and your priest buddy, but only on about 5-10% of of your bolts (and you likely won't be bolting much when heavy in affliction and not 5-manning or raiding). Now, if you raid, you can swap around the demonology points for improved shadow bolt and bane.

I'm still working on a good destruction build. But I'd highly recommend heavy affliction. Great for solo and duo.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 12:23:13 PM
This is what I'll be using at 70. The points in Affliction are good for levelling as they allow for effective drain tanking. From about 25 on, I used my succubus, Corruption, and Curse of Agony with Life Drain to kill stuff. Makes for easy soloing of even level elites.

As of level 51, I have 41 points in Demonology for my Felguard and I'm working getting instant cast Corruption back. Having the Felguard around is like having a two hand Fury Warrior running around with you all the time. His damage is good, though it's best to turn off his taunt if you want endurance (it sucks down a lot of mana and he doesn't have much).

Damnati fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 01:53:13 PM
quote:
Tarquinning:
First, what are the warlock's means of escaping/surviving bad encounters?

That depends entirely on the "bad encounter" in question. Spellstones now populate the wand slot instead of offhand, and only dispel negative effects, making them fucking awesome for pvp with casters. As mentioned, fear or death coil will let you escape a single PVE target pretty well.

If you're looking for something like frost nova or vanish to escape multiple mobs or pve opponents, the only abilities warlocks have are talents and really not all that great for that purpose. In destruction, Shadow Fury will help you get away from a group of mobs that don't run so fast, and in affliction improved howl of terror makes our totally useless AoE fear actually useful, but it does have a limited number of targets.

Apart from that, there's Warlock Feign Death - hellfire yourself to death and soulstone

quote:

I haven't tested it since BC, but I am fairly certain that shadow mastery from the affliction tree and shadow weaving from shadow priests do NOT stack. That aside, affliction is still great for solo pve and if you want to be the swiss army knife in PVP. Your damage potential is limited, however, especially with the nerf to DOT's coming up.

Demonology is also extremely good solo PVE if you spec in deep enough to get the felguard; even post nerf he is still quite sick. Until you start suiting up with epix, heavy Demonology builds also have the best DPS potential and the most versatility of all the trees by way of Demonic Sacrifice letting you swap between insane HP regen, insane mana regen, +15% shadow damage or +15% fire damage pretty much at a whim. Demo also has the infamous soul link which now shunts off 20% of all the damage you take to your pet and increases your damage by 5%.

The downside is that, of all the trees, demonology scales with gear the worst. As your total +dmg begins to increase, talents like empowered corruption, contagion, or on the destro side, ruin and Shadow & Flame begin to outshine your beefy arc reaper wielding pet significantly.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 02:07:45 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marring:
Destruction CAN be viable, but more often than not it is only viable if you have someone else to take the damage and are in a group of a few people when stuff will die fast and DoTs dont have time to tick. However, now that you can reduce interrupt chance of any destro spell by a significant amount, it gains a lot of potential for soloing.

Yeah. I'm leveling destro right now. Intensity + Backlash more or less makes you the tank while your imp nukes things in the butt.

The upside to solo PVE destro is that you kill things very goddamn fast. With the adaptive spawn rates, this is good, because you can kill a pretty long damn chain of the same spawn. The downside is that you blow through mana like it's going out of style. Having to sit and drink every fourth fight or so kinda ruins your leveling efficiency.

Destro would be MUCH better for leveling if you had a healer around to give your HP back, then you could just tap for mana all the time and proceed to unload a can of goddamn whupass on everything. Immo, shadowbolt, searing pain, backlash shadowbolt, another searing pain, conflag, shadowburn if it's still alive... all while your impy is bolting for ~200 dps or so?

But yes, for straight leveling, I'd still probably recommend affliction. Imp life tap and drain life, and the corruption buffs, it all just can't be beat for efficiency.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 03:44:05 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I haven't tested it since BC, but I am fairly certain that shadow mastery from the affliction tree and shadow weaving from shadow priests do NOT stack. That aside, affliction is still great for solo pve and if you want to be the swiss army knife in PVP. Your damage potential is limited, however, especially with the nerf to DOT's coming up.

Demonology is also extremely good solo PVE if you spec in deep enough to get the felguard; even post nerf he is still quite sick. Until you start suiting up with epix, heavy Demonology builds also have the best DPS potential and the most versatility of all the trees by way of Demonic Sacrifice letting you swap between insane HP regen, insane mana regen, +15% shadow damage or +15% fire damage pretty much at a whim. Demo also has the infamous soul link which now shunts off 20% of all the damage you take to your pet and increases your damage by 5%.

Master Demonologist, Demonic Knowledge, Soul Link, and Demonic Tactics actually add a significant amount of damage to...everything. I lose some 250-300 damage on my shadow bolts if I don't have the felguard out.

The downside is that, of all the trees, demonology scales with gear the worst. As your total +dmg begins to increase, talents like empowered corruption, contagion, or on the destro side, ruin and Shadow & Flame begin to outshine your beefy arc reaper wielding pet significantly.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 03:45:49 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

Master Demonologist, Demonic Knowledge, Soul Link, and Demonic Tactics actually add a significant amount of damage to...everything. I lose some 250-300 damage on my shadow bolts if I don't have the felguard out.

Edit: put my post in the quote for some reason...I need more sleep.

Blindy.
posted 01-17-2007 03:56:03 PM
Shadow weaving and shadow mastery do stack.
Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 04:05:56 PM
quote:
x--DamnatiO-('-'Q) :

Edit: put my post in the quote for some reason...I need more sleep.

There are a number of problems with those talents.

First off, soul link - Even at 5%, as your nukes begin to deal 900 damage non-crit just from gear alone, Ruin outstrips it tremendously. Once you hit about 600 +dmg and a generous amount of +crit rating, you'll start to see about a 15% damage increase from ruin alone (this is what I have personally calculated from my current gear).

Further, having your pet take 20% of your damage can actually be a BAD thing when you have a ton of HP - your pet will die long before you do, and odds are good you would want to use some of your pet abilities if you're under that kind of fire.

MD is almost totally useless without a felguard, and it's not too awesome even then. It's not too bad for succubus or felguard PVP, but it won't help you in a raid where you're expected to have your imp out.

I thought MD felhunter would be the king of all awesome for resistance fights, but sadly this is very, very much not the case. Even with almost 400 to every resist and someone tossing it a heal once in a while, the felhunter dies very rapidly in any aoe situation for reasons I cannot discern, but suspect are the result of npc->npc resistances having different mechanics that emphasize level disparity more.

You actually gain a little more damage from demonic knowledge + felhunter than you do from demonic knowledge + felguard. That said, DK is awesome when you can use it, but it suffers from the same problems as MD in that raids will usually expect you to have an imp out. Also, DK is a flat rate - it doesn't scale with your gear at all.

Demonic tactics is handy at 5% but, again, does not scale nearly as well as it's neighbor Shadow & Flame. Malediction is almost as good at 3% and it benefits the entire raid.

MD, DK, soul link, and tactics are great while your crit rate and +dmg are still relatively low, to be certain, but realistically once your gear starts getting uber you will see MUCH more benefit from ruin, backlash, emberstorm, and Shadow & Flame.

Furthermore, you can get all of those and still not have to give up demonic sacrifice and the demo talents below it at 70.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 04:57:23 PM
quote:
Maradon! impressed everyone with:
There are a number of problems with those talents.

First off, soul link - Even at 5%, as your nukes begin to deal 900 damage non-crit just from gear alone, Ruin outstrips it tremendously. Once you hit about 600 +dmg and a generous amount of +crit rating, you'll start to see about a 15% damage increase from ruin alone (this is what I have personally calculated from my current gear).

Further, having your pet take 20% of your damage can actually be a BAD thing when you have a ton of HP - your pet will die long before you do, and odds are good you would want to use some of your pet abilities if you're under that kind of fire.

MD is almost totally useless without a felguard, and it's not too awesome even then. It's not too bad for succubus or felguard PVP, but it won't help you in a raid where you're expected to have your imp out.

I thought MD felhunter would be the king of all awesome for resistance fights, but sadly this is very, very much not the case. Even with almost 400 to every resist and someone tossing it a heal once in a while, the felhunter dies very rapidly in any aoe situation for reasons I cannot discern, but suspect are the result of npc->npc resistances having different mechanics that emphasize level disparity more.

You actually gain a little more damage from demonic knowledge + felhunter than you do from demonic knowledge + felguard. That said, DK is awesome when you can use it, but it suffers from the same problems as MD in that raids will usually expect you to have an imp out. Also, DK is a flat rate - it doesn't scale with your gear at all.

Demonic tactics is handy at 5% but, again, does not scale nearly as well as it's neighbor Shadow & Flame. Malediction is almost as good at 3% and it benefits the entire raid.

MD, DK, soul link, and tactics are great while your crit rate and +dmg are still relatively low, to be certain, but realistically once your gear starts getting uber you will see MUCH more benefit from ruin, backlash, emberstorm, and Shadow & Flame.

Furthermore, you can get all of those and still not have to give up demonic sacrifice and the demo talents below it at 70.

Is there something I missed about DK? It's based on the active demon's Stamina + Intellect (15% of that goes to your +damage), why would that have any relation to gear? Also, how do you get more damage with DK + Felhunter? I just summoned him up and the +damage from him is identical to the Felguard but the Felguard adds 5% from MD.

Edit: To clarify a bit: with the Felguard, I have +5% damage from Demonic Tactics, +5% damage from Soul Link, +5% damage from Master Demonologist, and +65.25 spell damage from Demonic Tactics. I also get +26 to all resistances from MD. With the Felhunter, I have the same damage from Soul Link, Demonic Tactics, and Demonic Knowledge, but I'm missing the 5% from MD and I have higher resistances. I don't understand exactly where you're coming from.

Further edit: I'm level 52 and I have +200 shadow damage without the demon. With the Felguard, that jumps to +265.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 05:42:57 PM
quote:
x--DamnatiO-('-'Q) :
Is there something I missed about DK? It's based on the active demon's Stamina + Intellect (15% of that goes to your +damage), why would that have any relation to gear?

It doesn't - that's what I was saying.

quote:
Also, how do you get more damage with DK + Felhunter? I just summoned him up and the +damage from him is identical to the Felguard but the Felguard adds 5% from MD.

quote:
You actually gain a little more damage from demonic knowledge + felhunter than you do from demonic knowledge + felguard.

I didn't say anything about MD. I'm evaluating the talents individually.

quote:
Further edit: I'm level 52 and I have +200 shadow damage without the demon. With the Felguard, that jumps to +265.

Then you're well, well below the point where anything I'm talking about applies to you.

Demonology is an awesome noob DPS tree because it's biggest boosts are flat rate and so represent a bigger boost in power. It's % modifiers are situational and hard to use effectively in a raid situation.

Affliction is utility and efficiency by way of DOTs and improved draining/tapping but alone it offers little in the way of large damage boosts.

Destruction is high mana usage, highly gear dependent, make-you-fall-down tree.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 05:58:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Then you're well, well below the point where anything I'm talking about applies to you.

Demonology is an awesome noob DPS tree because it's biggest boosts are flat rate and so represent a bigger boost in power. It's % modifiers are situational and hard to use effectively in a raid situation.

Affliction is utility and efficiency by way of DOTs and improved draining/tapping but alone it offers little in the way of large damage boosts.

Destruction is high mana usage, highly gear dependent, make-you-fall-down tree.

You assessments of talents are utterly horrid but your point does seem valid. I was considering respeccing to primarily Affliction for PvP or throwing 10 points into Destruction for faster Shadow Bolts, but Empowered Corruption seems much too nice to pass up and I like the Felguard for soloing and PvP purposes. Given that I spend the majority of my time in PvP or soloing, I think I'll stick with Demonology.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-17-2007 06:44:57 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about Pirotess:
You assessments of talents are utterly horrid but your point does seem valid. I was considering respeccing to primarily Affliction for PvP or throwing 10 points into Destruction for faster Shadow Bolts, but Empowered Corruption seems much too nice to pass up and I like the Felguard for soloing and PvP purposes. Given that I spend the majority of my time in PvP or soloing, I think I'll stick with Demonology.

Actually, his assessment is pretty spot on.

Affliction only has a few boosts to particular spells and then a 10% shadow damage boost. Demonology has some direct boosts to damage (couple 5% scattered around the tree, i dont know the exact total though) and destruction has a ton of +crit stuff (total of 8%) and a couple of +damage things. +crit is VERY gear dependent and is worth a lot less if you only have +100 damage as opposed to, say, +500 or +600.

He's not calling you a noob because you use the demonology tree though

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 07:29:25 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Actually, his assessment is pretty spot on.

Affliction only has a few boosts to particular spells and then a 10% shadow damage boost. Demonology has some direct boosts to damage (couple 5% scattered around the tree, i dont know the exact total though) and destruction has a ton of +crit stuff (total of 8%) and a couple of +damage things. +crit is VERY gear dependent and is worth a lot less if you only have +100 damage as opposed to, say, +500 or +600.

He's not calling you a noob because you use the demonology tree though

I was referring to the individual assessments. For one, he was off on the Felguard vs. Felhunter, as is demonstrable. For two, one can't discount talent synergy when making such comparisons. I get his point and I imagine the Affliction or Destruction would be better route for pure raiders, I just disagree with his method of conveying his point and I have no use for pure raid specs.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 08:20:38 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Damnati booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I was referring to the individual assessments. For one, he was off on the Felguard vs. Felhunter, as is demonstrable.

No, I wasn't, I said you actually gain a little more damage from demonic knowledge when you're using a felhunter than you do when you use a felguard and that is true.

quote:
For two, one can't discount talent synergy when making such comparisons.

One can when one is not discussing talent synergy at all. The only reason I made that statement is to point out that you CAN get demonic knowledge without getting the felguard.

IT'S OK TO BE WRONG SOMETIMES.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2007 10:27:40 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
No, I wasn't, I said you actually gain a little more damage from demonic knowledge when you're using a felhunter than you do when you use a felguard and that is true.

You don't, though, unless the Felhunter's intellect and stamina change between 52 and 60 to be greater than the Felguard. I summoned him and checked. Certainly you can Demonic Knowledge without the Felguard but why would you get it without Master Demonologist? That particular talent synergy makes a difference when you're discussing different demon's damage bonuses; if it's not the Felguard, take the Succubus, which gives a 10% damage bonus with MD.

Edit: just summoned her to check. Same damage bonus from DK as the Felhunter and Felguard but +10% from MD. I'm not trying to be offensive here, I just don't see what you're getting at.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2007 10:39:13 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Damnati who doth quote:
You don't, though, unless the Felhunter's intellect and stamina change between 52 and 60

They do. You get 1 more damage from the felhunter than the felguard. That's irrelevant to anything at this point anyway.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-18-2007 12:39:34 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
[/qb]

They do. You get 1 more damage from the felhunter than the felguard. That's irrelevant to anything at this point anyway.

I actually lol'd at that.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-18-2007 02:08:18 AM
You lost me somewehere in the middle of the thread, but thank you all anyway.

I'll go for affliction and mourn the loss of all the nice escape spells that I got as a mage.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-18-2007 02:23:01 AM
Warlock escape spell: Sacrifice Voidwalker.
Maradon!
posted 01-18-2007 03:03:20 AM
quote:
x--WilliasO-('-'Q) :
Warlock escape spell: Sacrifice Voidwalker.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that. Coupled with a spellstone and the insta-summon in demonology that actually works pretty well. The shield you get is actually not all that great without imp voidwalker, though.

One of the biggest complaints warlocks have had is the lack of escape abilities.

So they gave us death coil. uhm...

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-18-2007 06:42:10 AM
Just spec in whatever talent tree gives you that silly drain tank thing. Then you can laugh at warriors all day and end the fight at full health

Any other warlock is easy, but sheesh those drain tankers just own me.

In all seriousness, how do I defeat that?

Blackened
posted 01-18-2007 07:18:32 AM
quote:
Led.
Just spec in whatever talent tree gives you that silly drain tank thing. Then you can laugh at warriors all day and end the fight at full health

Get some really nice gear, don't get off the warlock, and hope you can out DPS. String them, don't let them fear you (use one of the bazillion ways to become immune to it) and pummel if they stop to cast.

Also try to intimidating shout the pet away.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 01-18-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-18-2007 10:05:48 AM
I think the chief problem with these particular warlocks was that they were incredibly well-geared for the level 49 BG. Without any real resistances and stuff I was an easier kill than I could have been.

However, I did go all out on these warlocks, and did get the jump on them. Pummel the spells that had cast times, pummel/warstomped their life drains, etc. However with the long recycle times they were able to cast again before the interrupt was back up. I simply could not out-dps them. Their dots ate me alive, the life drain kept regenerating their HP, and for some reason I was hitting them for hardly any damage.

That was just the drainy warlocks. A few matches later in a different 49 BG, I ran into a warlock who just ran around dotting people. Three dots and it was a death sentence. Mind that I had 3900 hp at that level, which is a heck of a lot. Granted, when I got in range of this warlock I smeared him all over the countryside, but I just keeled over and died afterwards.

I know that there are classes that can just destroy warriors. Like mages, for instance. But before this latest patch I really did not have much problems with warlocks, as my multiple fear immunities really denied them any ability to keep me away. But lately they do not even need to do that.

I know there is a counter I can exploit. But what is it? I cannot remove DOTs, nor can I regen life anywhere near as fast as they can.

*thinkthinkthink*

Led fucked around with this message on 01-18-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 01-18-2007 10:15:48 AM
quote:
Led had this to say about dark elf butts:
I think the chief problem with these particular warlocks was that they were incredibly well-geared for the level 49 BG. Without any real resistances and stuff I was an easier kill than I could have been.

However, I did go all out on these warlocks, and did get the jump on them. Pummel the spells that had cast times, pummel/warstomped their life drains, etc. However with the long recycle times they were able to cast again before the interrupt was back up. I simply could not out-dps them. Their dots ate me alive, the life drain kept regenerating their HP, and for some reason I was hitting them for hardly any damage.

That was just the drainy warlocks. A few matches later in a different 49 BG, I ran into a warlock who just ran around dotting people. Three dots and it was a death sentence. Mind that 3900 hp at that level, which is a heck of a lot. Granted, when I got in range of this warlock I smeared him all over the countryside, but I just keeled over and died afterwards.

I know that there are classes that can just destroy warriors. Like mages, for instance. But before this latest patch I really did not have much problems with warlocks, as my multiple fear immunities really denied them any ability to keep me away. But lately they do not even need to do that.

I know there is a counter I can exploit. But what is it? I cannot remove DOTs, nor can I regen life anywhere near as fast as they can.

*thinkthinkthink*

I haven't had to deal with this in quite a long time, but you can chain a pummel into an intercept stun and back into another pummel to keep someone locked down for quite a while. That should go a long way in preventing their life draining, especially if you combine it with intimidating shout, warstomp, and grenades if available. Pummel, intercept, pummel, warstomp, pummel, etc.

Just keep in mind that if you intercept before the death coil, a lot of warlocks will use that to kite you around while their dots kill you and you're helplessly out of range (a friend of mine has escape artist and loves doing this to warriors).

The most important thing, though, is gear. Especially as Fury (which I'm pretty sure you are, right?), you need gear to be able to take down a good warlock.

Blindy.
posted 01-18-2007 10:17:46 AM
How to kill a warrior as a shadow priest.

Vampiric Touch -> SW -> Mind blast -> VE -> Let them hit you until they die.

Blackened
posted 01-18-2007 11:01:36 AM
quote:
Taeldian.
I haven't had to deal with this in quite a long time, but you can chain a pummel into an intercept stun and back into another pummel to keep someone locked down for quite a while. That should go a long way in preventing their life draining, especially if you combine it with intimidating shout, warstomp, and grenades if available. Pummel, intercept, pummel, warstomp, pummel, etc.

Just keep in mind that if you intercept before the death coil, a lot of warlocks will use that to kite you around while their dots kill you and you're helplessly out of range (a friend of mine has escape artist and loves doing this to warriors).

The most important thing, though, is gear. Especially as Fury (which I'm pretty sure you are, right?), you need gear to be able to take down a good warlock.

Don't forget that Warriors are only balanced at the highest level with good->great gear. And items with cooldowns.

or

With a priest/paladin tailing them always.

Maradon!
posted 01-18-2007 11:19:38 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Led booooze lime pole over bench lick:

Any warlock using drain or siphon life in PVP is stupid.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-18-2007 11:20:55 AM
quote:
Blindy. got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
How to kill a warrior as a shadow priest.

Vampiric Touch -> SW -> Mind blast -> VE -> Let them hit you until they die.

Oddly enough shadowpriests are obscenely easy kills for me. Chew right through their shields and they go squish.

The thing that really ticks me off is that even the heaviest armor and fifty billion armor class does absolutely nothing against most of the classes in the game. Other warriors and rogues is about it.

Maybe I should treat this like DAoC, and carry around a specific set of gear for taking out specific types of players ;D Shadow resist, ice resist, etc. Would be kind of annoying switching all of that stuff out though.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-18-2007 11:21:56 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
Any warlock using drain or siphon life in PVP is stupid.

Well, the ones that do it murder me horribly with nearly if not totally full health. And ones that do not end up dead, but I die from DOTs anyways.

Drain seems kinda smart to me ;x

Maradon!
posted 01-18-2007 11:22:16 AM
quote:
Leding:
Maybe I should treat this like DAoC, and carry around a specific set of gear for taking out specific types of players ;D Shadow resist, ice resist, etc. Would be kind of annoying switching all of that stuff out though.

Shadow protection potions and the various other elemental protection potions work well too.

Blindy.
posted 01-18-2007 12:24:16 PM
quote:
Led's complete misunderstanding of life manifested itself when they said:
Oddly enough shadowpriests are obscenely easy kills for me. Chew right through their shields and they go squish.

The thing that really ticks me off is that even the heaviest armor and fifty billion armor class does absolutely nothing against most of the classes in the game. Other warriors and rogues is about it.

Shield?

What's that?

I've got like 45% damage reduction my dots are healing me by 100 health per second. I'm about as squishy as a rock.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-18-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Blackened
posted 01-18-2007 12:29:48 PM
quote:
Blindy..
Shield?

What's that?

I've got like 45% damage reduction my dots are healing me by 100 health per second. I'm about as squishy as a rock.

Did you come in here just to start playing "my class can beat yours" or are just a faggot by trade

Blindy.
posted 01-18-2007 12:32:20 PM
quote:
Blackened stopped lurking long enough to say:
Did you come in here just to start playing "my class can beat yours" or are just a faggot by trade

My class can beat yours.

Blackened
posted 01-18-2007 12:34:04 PM
quote:
Blindy..
My class can beat yours.
Seriously man, that shit doesn't help anyone. Let's keep it to warlock related conversation

Like how gay Death Coil is

Blindy.
posted 01-18-2007 12:41:14 PM
quote:
When Blackened says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a God:
Seriously man, that shit doesn't help anyone. Let's keep it to warlock related conversation

Like how gay Death Coil is

He specifically said that he'd be duo'ing with a shadow priest, thus discussions of a shadow priest's capabilities are on topic.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-18-2007 01:04:19 PM
quote:
Blindy. thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Shield?

What's that?

syduck:

Yeah well my bloodthirst can hit you for like... uh... 300 damage and heal me for 100 over five seconds

45% damage reduction what the crap?

And I take 15% more damage on top of that in my most used pvp stance paired with my usually very anti-priest ability. Deathwish indeed!

Seriously 45% reduction? More than my platemail gives me x_x

Led fucked around with this message on 01-18-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Blindy.
posted 01-18-2007 02:01:30 PM
quote:
Led needs the precioussses:
syduck:

Yeah well my bloodthirst can hit you for like... uh... 300 damage and heal me for 100 over five seconds

45% damage reduction what the crap?

And I take 15% more damage on top of that in my most used pvp stance paired with my usually very anti-priest ability. Deathwish indeed!

Seriously 45% reduction? More than my platemail gives me x_x

Shadowform adds a flat 15% reduction and between good cloth armor and inner fire I've got 25-30% normal reduction.

It should be noted that that's only against physical damage, not magical damage. This is why Shadow priests usually mop up against warriors and rogues but still get 2 shotted by a fire mage.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-18-2007 at 02:04 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: