EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: iPod decision...
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 10:52:13 AM
I was looking at the current iPod lineup trying to make up my mind if I wanted to buy one now or wait and see if Apple decides to put wireless into them down the road a bit. Couple of random questions:

What's the point of the 8gb Nano when the 30gb is the same price?
Does Apple run any Christmas sales that would reduce the price of the 30gb unit?
What would the "essential" accessories be for someone getting a new iPod?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-15-2006 11:10:42 AM
quote:
If only Random Insanity Generator hadn't said this:
What's the point of the 8gb Nano when the 30gb is the same price?

1) The nano is crazy-small. If you haven't seen one in real life, you would really not be able to comprehend how small it is. It's fucking small.
2) The nano has a longer battery life.
3) The nano has no hard drive or other moving parts, so it's a little more durable and less apt to break while running or whatever.

on the other side
4) The nano can not play videos while running the stock software. If videos are something you really want to have, you'll need to get the 30gb.

quote:
Does Apple run any Christmas sales that would reduce the price of the 30gb unit?

Historically, no. They usually offer free laser engraving, but that's about it.

quote:
What would the "essential" accessories be for someone getting a new iPod?

If you'll be using it in your car, an FM transmitter (get one before the FCC makes them illegal to buy), and if you'll be working out with it, an arm band. The stock ear-buds are acceptable but you may want to buy some better ones or some switch back earphones.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 11:18:28 AM
I figured the Nano would have a better battery life and I've seen one of the first generation Nanos and while it's smaller I didn't think it was *THAT* much smaller than the standard iPod.. at least not enough to justify the 22gb storage difference.

I'm looking at using it for not just MP3 playing but data as well. Keep utilities on hand and being able to move data from system to system. I remember hearing that the pod would recharge if plugged in via Firewire... did they ever make it recharge via USB2.0?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
nem-x
posted 11-15-2006 11:21:48 AM
It can charge in a USB 2.0 port but not in a busted old 1.0

And rockbox is compatible with the 5.5g 30gig

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 11:22:28 AM
ipods suck flaming cock.

There are cheaper mp3 players that are more durable and have better capacity and, best of all, don't require the smoking black turd that is itunes.

quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:
I remember hearing that the pod would recharge if plugged in via Firewire... did they ever make it recharge via USB2.0?

Better, the new nanos don't even support data transfer over firewire.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 11:24 AM.

nem-x
posted 11-15-2006 11:25:03 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when nem-x said this:
And rockbox is compatible with the 5.5g 30gig
Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 11:42:42 AM
quote:
I like it when Maradon! says:
ipods suck flaming cock.

There are cheaper mp3 players that are more durable and have better capacity and, best of all, don't require the smoking black turd that is itunes.

Better, the new nanos don't even support data transfer over firewire.

Orly. Name another piece of media library management software that is undeniably better than iTunes.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 11:53:36 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Blindy. booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Orly. Name another piece of media library management software that is undeniably better than iTunes.

I think nemx already did

DRM LOL!!!!

Also windows media player is undeniably better than iTunes. Shit, windows explorer is better than iTunes. iTunes is an absurd, unintuitive, idiotic piece of software written by chimpanzee afterbirth and the only reason anybody would ever use it is if they're a hardline applefag.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 12:01:55 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped lurking long enough to say:
I think nemx already did

DRM LOL!!!!

Also windows media player is undeniably better than iTunes. Shit, windows explorer is better than iTunes. iTunes is an absurd, unintuitive, idiotic piece of software written by chimpanzee afterbirth and the only reason anybody would ever use it is if they're a hardline applefag.

Gee I'm having trouble remembering the last time windows explorer let me write smart queries to fill play lists and automatically update my ipod with a list of sings I haven't listened to in a few weeks but rated highly, and other such things.

I'd have to say you're woefully undereducated.

P.S. Rockbox lol more like cockbox

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 12:08:37 PM
Wow... lots of flaming, little extra info added.

Since I use Linux I was figuring I'd have to do the "playlist management" by hand. No shock there. I have no love for iTunes, and even less for the DRM stuff... but I also already have a decent MP3 collection (although rather small-ish.. it would all fit on the 30gb... more than twice).

What is rockbox? Some 'alternative' iTunes replacement?

If it charges via USB2.0 I'll need to look at a 'portable' data cable for the unit so that I can recharge/data transfer while on the move.

Show me a 'better' and 'cheaper' mp3 player that does everything the iPod does and doesn't look like crap.

Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 12:09:44 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator + Random Insanity Generator = 2Random Insanity Generator:

Since I use Linux I was figuring I'd have to do the "playlist management" by hand. No shock there. I have no love for iTunes, and even less for the DRM stuff... but I also already have a decent MP3 collection (although rather small-ish.. it would all fit on the 30gb... more than twice).

What is rockbox? Some 'alternative' iTunes replacement?

If it charges via USB2.0 I'll need to look at a 'portable' data cable for the unit so that I can recharge/data transfer while on the move.

Show me a 'better' and 'cheaper' mp3 player that does everything the iPod does and doesn't look like crap.

It's alternate firmware for the ipod, basically linux.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 12:10:48 PM
What's the point of replacing the firmware on the Pod itself? Unless that enables Ogg playback and other video codecs to be added...
Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 12:16:48 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator must read alot of poetry:
What's the point of replacing the firmware on the Pod itself? Unless that enables Ogg playback and other video codecs to be added...

You've got me, I just use the standard stuff.

Just to touch back on the previous topic- there is no need to have DRM in your iTunes library unless you've bought the songs directly from Apple. Just change the default file type in the options to MP3 and, there you have it, no DRM on imported songs.

Besides all that, if you don't want DRM on the songs you've bought from iTunes, all you have to do is burn them onto a CD and then re-rip them as MP3's, then delete the apple files. It's less hassle and still cheaper than going to a music store and buying the cd from them. After you've ripped it you can give the CD to your girlfriend or brother or other friend or whatever, who will probably think you burned it just for them and say thanks for being so thoughtful.

For some reason people who hate iTunes seem to not know this.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 12:19:15 PM
Or if I buy things from iTMS I can use one of the available utilities to auto-convert it without wasting a CD. The DRM was never that big an issue in my mind, I just don't like it personally. I know there's ways around it and it can be avoided in general.

So Nem.... Enlighten us... Rockbox... where's the weanie?

Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 12:28:25 PM
quote:
If I had a nickle for every time Random Insanity Generator said:
Or if I buy things from iTMS I can use one of the available utilities to auto-convert it without wasting a CD. The DRM was never that big an issue in my mind, I just don't like it personally. I know there's ways around it and it can be avoided in general.

So Nem.... Enlighten us... Rockbox... where's the weanie?

It's really not that bad, just not very polished. If you're OK with linux you'd be OK with rockbox.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 12:32:41 PM
Having googled it, I would use it. I have songs in Ogg format that I know the iPod can't play by default and it adds some extras that I think would be pretty cool. Being able to control the iPod without having to look at it (voice feedback based on playing with the wheel while it's in a pocket or in an armband) is something that interests me.

And who wouldn't want to play Doom on their iPod?

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 12:51:46 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:

Fuck you! haha!

No, seriously, the only reason I hate itunes is because the entire "sync" paradigm is idiotic. Let me drag and drop for christ's sake, or run a batch file to automatically copy whatever I last listened to, or do anything that isn't carefully monitored by Apple's strict anti-piracy microscope.

And the whole "Your ipod may only sync with one library! I will now delete all your songs." deal is total shit.

quote:

Sandisk Sansa Rhapsody, same price as an 8gb nano, it's almost exactly the same size, the display is bigger, and it plays a fairly wide range of video formats and includes conversion software to convert your non-playable formats.

In the 80gb arena you have contenders like this. Same price as an 80gb ipod when you figure in the two foot magnifying glass you'd need in order to see video in any detail on the ipod's screen. Comparable size (it's about an inch wider), same capacity, better battery life, and it's actually useful for watching videos.

Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 12:55:04 PM
Uhm... you do realize that you can check the "let me manage my own songs" or whatever option, and then drag and drop things onto the ipod instead of syncing, right? If you built a smart playlist with the criteria you wanted, you could just drag and drop that playlist onto the ipod to automatically copy all the songs that are on it.

The reason I like syncing, however, is it means both my iPod and my computer know the last time I played a song, how many times I've played the song, and what I've rated it, regardless of which device I was using when I played the song or rated it. So I use it. Your mileage may vary.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 12:58:20 PM
I'm not wanting to blow 250 on an 8gb unit when I can get a 30gb for the same price.

I'm not wanting to spend 350 on an 80gb unit as it's just overkill. If I need to move THAT much data I have an actual USB External HD that's cryptographically secured. It doesn't play music, but it does have USB2.0 and Firewire options (and I can actually hook 2 systems in via Firewire at the same time)

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 12:59:30 PM
No, I didn't know that!

Can you do that without iTunes?

But it's irrelevant anyway, since I'd never buy an ipod.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-15-2006 01:29:10 PM
Ipods are OK. My wife likes her Nano, and if she's happy, I'm happy. My Zen was functional and had that built-in FM tuner, but it broke after a year. Hopefully my Sirius Stilletto 100 will last longer.

That's right, because I roll like that, bitches.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

nem-x
posted 11-15-2006 02:04:07 PM
Rockbox lets you view directory structures and file names instead of having to use those awful id tags. To transfer mp3s, it's just like another drive on your computer and you can copy entire directories/subdirectories of files over and it will show up the exact same way on your ipod. Also neat skins!
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 02:08:29 PM
I just made the purchase of a used 30gb iPod for $108. Can't argue with the price...

Now if it makes it to me without being broken into 398578395793475 pieces I'll be happy.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 11-15-2006 02:12:17 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
No, I didn't know that!

Can you do that without iTunes?

But it's irrelevant anyway, since I'd never buy an ipod.

You used to be able to load songs onto an iPod with MusicMatch, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 02:14:18 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Arttemis wrote:
You used to be able to load songs onto an iPod with MusicMatch, but I don't know if that's still the case.

If there's one thing I dislike more than iTunes, it's MusicMatch.

Are they still a spyware ridden piece of shit?

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 11-15-2006 02:30:08 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator probably says this to all the girls:
If there's one thing I dislike more than iTunes, it's MusicMatch.

Are they still a spyware ridden piece of shit?

Beats me... I use iTunes.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 02:35:36 PM
So how long does it take for something in Ohio to reach Texas?
Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 02:54:35 PM
Ground? 4 days.

At least that's from Texas to Ohio. I just ordered some new shisha and coals from a place in Huston on Thursday and got it yesterday.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-15-2006 02:55:26 PM
I loves me my 8 gb Product Red Nano. (I traded in the 4gb for it) It has room for all my CDs, and there's still room for 50+ more CDs on it.

As for iTunes, it really hasn't given me any problems - especially since I figured out how to make it join CD tracks. (It can only be done when you insert the CD, and before you import it)

As for the Apple earbuds it comes with, if these are only considered "adequate", it's the best darn adequate I've ever heard - I've heard details and previously missing parts of songs that I'd never heard when playing the CDs through my car or PC.

My brother has, or rather had, a 2gb Sandisk something or other. It's currently on its way back to them to be repaired- it went all Cindy Sheehan on him - it wouldn't let him import any new songs and it made him delete the ones he already had on it.

Say what you will about Apple, but I look at my Nano, which is barely longer than the width of my hand and only as thick as three quarters, and I think it's amazing that I can fit 2000 songs on it.

Edit: FairPlay only comes into play (heh) when you buy something from the iTunes store - it doesn't put DRM on anything else you import.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 03:00:55 PM
I'll still be installing Rockbox just because I want the extra codec support (something I've been waiting on Apple to add on their own) and the ability to play Doom

So if it ships tomorrow... 4 days... that's putting it in my hands on Tuesday? Maybe Monday?

Damnit, this weekend is gonna suck.

**EDIT**

Should be 3 days for me... Houston is a 2day ship, but anything from Dallas is 1day and that's the nearest hub for UPS.... However this is shipping via insured USPS so I might not see it for 4-to-6-weeks.

Random Insanity Generator fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Nina
posted 11-15-2006 03:22:05 PM
Maradon, if you were informed at all you'd realize there are metric tons of software out there that let you interact with iPods without having to resort to either iTunes or a firmware change. Including some that integrate with Windows Explorer to drag & drop seamlessly.

Get your facts straight before making broad and sweeping generalizations. I know it's hard for you, but do try! =(

RIG: Rockbox won't be compatible with your iPod yet. It doesn't support the very latest gen of 30gbs.

Nina fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 03:26:16 PM
And other than a few minor items.... I have seen no suggestions for 'must have' accessories... I can't believe that the iPod is that perfect.

How much of a pain in the ass is battery replacement in one of these? I remember the original model not having that great a battery life and while I'm getting a newer generation unit I know I'll eventually have to replace the battery pack in the sucker.

My Clie desparately needs a new battery pack.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-15-2006 04:28:12 PM
quote:
Tribute? You steal men's Blindy.s, and make them your slaves!

Windows Explorer. Seriously.

iTunes is the worst management software for ANYTHING that I have ever had the misfortune of being forced to use.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 04:35:07 PM
quote:
Man, who wouldn't want to be Densetsu:
Windows Explorer. Seriously.

iTunes is the worst management software for ANYTHING that I have ever had the misfortune of being forced to use.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. My guess is you booted it up once and decided it was new, scary, unfamiliar and somewhat "applish", so you made that brash decision and never opened it again.

Oh, I know that you're immediately going to reply with some account of how you've had to use it day in and day out and that you know all the ins and outs and yet you'd still rather manage the organization of your songs by manually placing them in folders rather than performing queries against a database, so let me preemptively tell you that you're fucking full of it.

There are two reasons you could hate iTunes.
The first is that you never gave it an earnest chance, and the second is that you are so fucking retarded that you couldn't figure out how to use software that is designed to be used by everyone from your 11 year old sister to your grandma Betty, and judging only by the fact that 9 out of 10 of all mp3 players sold (by default) require the use of iTunes, and the overall mp3 market has been growing year after year after year with that statistic staying pretty steady, I'd say it's pretty successful in that aim.

So which is it?

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-15-2006 04:39:43 PM
What exactly are these faults of iTunes?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-15-2006 04:44:17 PM
Yep, I never gave the program an honest chance. You're right! My two iPods just sit around collecting dust!

With Windows Explorer I know where my music is. With iTunes I have to search for it because I don't feel like retagging thousands of files.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-15-2006 04:58:42 PM
So it isn't the fault of the software, it's that you didn't set up your mp3s correctly. Gotcha.
Alaan
posted 11-15-2006 05:04:17 PM
quote:
Naimah obviously shouldn't have said:
So it isn't the fault of the software, it's that you didn't set up your mp3s correctly. Gotcha.

I'm sure a few people on here have some less than legal music. Lots of it. Retagging that is a bitch.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-15-2006 05:16:28 PM
Well, if iTunes has problems with improperly-tagged MP3 files, that's hardly something you can blame it for. I've imported all my CDs and it's worked fine.

Maybe a future patch of iTunes will be more forgiving when it comes to mp3s with improper tags.

Blindy.
posted 11-15-2006 05:28:40 PM
If your music collection is not ID3 tagged, try one of the literally hundreds of available ID3 tag managers, or you can do it inside iTunes itself. The fact that your music collection is crap doesn't mean that iTunes is crap.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: