EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: iPod decision...
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 11-20-2006 12:11:10 PM
quote:
Blindy. obviously shouldn't have said:
iTunes Method:
-Go to iTunes
-click in search field
-type "dark"
-click on dark side of the moon in the album results
-hit play.

FYI- Exact same 5 steps required for selecting all the music by a specific band or a specific song.

You can do the exact same thing in winamp using their media library, except I fidn the interface to be alot more powerful because it has three main windows making it easier to choose between difrent albums by an artist or difrent artists of a genre or whichever of the fifteen million id3 charcteristics you feel like parsing

It can also sort by ratings, how recently youve played it and how often youve played it.

I use Itunes everyday at the office and I realy cant stand it, it just feels slow and awkward.

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-20-2006 10:35:04 PM
I now have the Pod in hand...

And I have to install iTunes before I can even get started with RockBox. :| Seems this is a non-windows Pod (it appears to be HPFS formatted) and therefor Windows is bitchy.

But I will corrupt it... and then I will have tunes tomorrow while I work. I just hope like hell it still has a good battery in it.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Nina
posted 11-21-2006 12:39:16 AM
Just get one of the ipod updates that predate iTunes 7. Fairly sure they include a restore utility without iTunes.
Razor
posted 11-21-2006 01:12:59 AM
I personally don't loke the iTunes software, mainly for the reason I don't need another media client on my perfectly fine system. I have it for the quicktime files I have only.

Having a Directory/file structure is fine. I don't even really care that you have a database system with all these extra things. I understand some may want it, but I don't. Atleast with the advent of OS X, I could use an iPod to transfer files between linux machines, but what I have does just fine. I'm using a Creative Zen Nano 1GB. I may not have alot of music on it, but it's able to record off of any 3.5mm jack or via microphone. Plus it has a FM radio built in so I can listen to the morning talk shows that the office doesn't particularly want to listen to. another thing is I got it discounted via a student discount that creative kept. Apple just discontinued the educators discounts... Also the warranty is a bit better. the last thing I like is that I have a varriety of file formats, not just mp3, and as far as I know, iPod only uses mp3, so that ruled out that.

I could do more ranting but I feel i'm just wandering.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-21-2006 11:06:38 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about pies:
Just get one of the ipod updates that predate iTunes 7. Fairly sure they include a restore utility without iTunes.

Meh, part way through the install of It 4.7 (CD that came with the pod) it detected it and couldn't read it so it formatted it for me and then I aborted the install.

Are there no fucking metal cases for this thing? WTF? Silicone is NOT going to do much to protect this thing...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: