EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Combine
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-13-2006 05:29:10 PM
Otherwise known as the Progression server, is currently slated to open up on the 28th of this month.

I'mma be there as Willias, the Qeynosian Human Mage. Anyone else planning or thinking about playing on this server?

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 06-13-2006 05:32:19 PM
Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willias?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-13-2006 05:35:03 PM
I think this is the server where it starts out as only havng the original game playable, and as players defeat the endgame of each expansion, the next expansion is unlocked for all to use.

Too bad it's still just EQ1 and not worth giving two shits about.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 06-13-2006 05:35:52 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about (_|_):
I think this is the server where it starts out as only havng the original game playable, and as players defeat the endgame of each expansion, the next expansion is unlocked for all to use.

Oh, ok.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-13-2006 05:40:34 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Densetsu said this:

Well, that and they're reverting some aspects of each era back to their original forms (such as: Re-revamped Paw is being changed back to Paw 2.0, CT got revamped to a high level zone, it's being changed back to its older state) and they're also trying to fix parts of the game that haven't been touched in a long time.

Some things are going to stay as they are now though, like the removal of hell levels and so on.

Suddar
posted 06-13-2006 07:00:29 PM
I'll probably give it a try, for nostalgia's sake. I loved EQ for a long time, maybe I can get back into it.
Willias
Pancake
posted 06-13-2006 08:53:18 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Suddar said this:
I'll probably give it a try, for nostalgia's sake. I loved EQ for a long time, maybe I can get back into it.

Ain't that bad really. Figured I wouldn't be able to get back into the game after playing WoW for so long, but it was actually kinda fun.

And that was after trying SoD as a mage and deciding, or so I thought, that I still greatly disliked EQ again. Guess I just didn't like SoD. Sorry Wiz, Liam, and such.

There'll be one problem with the server though, they massively increased caster power from 1 to 65. Casters will be small gods until melee twinkage (which is horrible on most servers atm) catches up.

I also don't see the server unlocking stuff fast, as Maddoc (an EQ dev who was with SoE since Kunark) has stated that he's made sure to make every expansion unlock (which will be multiple things, such as key mob deaths and certain quests, or other special criteria) very difficult.

They've stated that they expect AT LEAST (and as they put it, that's with the players on the server moving faster than they'd think possible) one year for the server to catch up with CURRENT EQ, and there's another expansion coming out in a few months.

Skaw
posted 06-13-2006 09:07:49 PM
If it stayed at Kunark, or at the very most, Velious, I'd be all over it.
Suddar
posted 06-13-2006 09:12:10 PM
It's going to take the server a loooong time to catch up to even Luclin. Velious, Luclin, and basically every expansion after that had huge timesinks.

I still love EQ, but it was so mudflated that it's hard to get into it unless you already have a character at max level. That's the big reason I'm eager for this server.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 06-13-2006 10:59:24 PM
I might actually do it.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-13-2006 11:51:42 PM
I might. And I don't think it's just "beat the uberest thing" that unlocks the next expansion, it's a combination of things and they won't tell people what they are so poopsockers don't try to rush things along. What I find neat is once the requirments to open the expansion are met it does so without having to patch or even bring down the server.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Suddar
posted 06-13-2006 11:57:49 PM
It's been confirmed that there's going to be a timer on expansion unlocks. If poopsockers somehow do everything in a week, if the timer says it has to take a month, then it won't for a month. Just FYI.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-14-2006 03:20:19 AM
If I was still a student (with ample amounts of time on my hands), I'd probably give it a try for nostalgia's sake.

(Un)Fortunately, I'm not a student anymore.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 06-14-2006 03:25:53 AM
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-14-2006 03:54:21 AM
I'd play if it were free, but not for what they're charging now.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-14-2006 08:51:01 AM
quote:
nem-x painfully thought these words up:
SoD

I'd miss the extended viewing distance they added on Live.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Led
*kaboom*
posted 06-14-2006 03:03:00 PM
I would play it if it only had the old models and things in it. The new ones just look awful, and the old interface was the best. Plus I am not sure if they are going to roll back all the spells and abilities or not. Oldworld content with all the new things? Urgh.

I want OLD oldschool

That being said, I think I might give it a go nontheless, because EQ was the only game in which I enjoyed playing a cleric ^-^

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-14-2006 03:14:41 PM
What the fuck did you seriously just say the old interface was better? You're nuts. That thing was aaaawful

New models are optional client-side and always have been

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-14-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Tier
posted 06-14-2006 03:16:55 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kegwen stammered:
That thing was aaaawful

Not as awful as what they have now

Blackened
posted 06-14-2006 03:23:13 PM
My girlfriend was talking about checking this server out, just yesterday. If she wasn't so hot I'd have to kill her. She's always like, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air." I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "Nah forget it, Yo homes to Bel Air." I pulled up to the house about seven or eight, and I yelled to the cabby "Yo homes, smell ya later." Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-14-2006 03:46:52 PM
quote:
Blackened posted

My girlfriend was talking about checking this server out, just yesterday. If she wasn't so hot I'd have to kill her. She's always like, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air." I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "Nah forget it, Yo homes to Bel Air." I pulled up to the house about seven or eight, and I yelled to the cabby "Yo homes, smell ya later." Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

And here I was just expecting you to call everyone a faggot.

Blackened
posted 06-14-2006 03:49:53 PM
quote:
Alidane.
And here I was just expecting you to call everyone a faggot.
Well now that you posted here I'd better get started, eh

see what I did there

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-14-2006 03:59:47 PM
quote:
Asha'man had this to say about John Romero:
Not as awful as what they have now

I liked the new interface system.

I don't like the default theme for it, but I like the system.

edit: guess I should have specified that in my first reply

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-14-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-14-2006 05:33:26 PM
I'm going to check it out, although I can't decide if I'm sticking to my roots and playing an enchanter from the start again, or trying out that mage I always wanted.

They'll both be gnomes regardless, with the enchanter being Cirya or the mage being Ashlaine.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Skaw
posted 06-14-2006 09:03:55 PM
quote:
How.... Kegwen.... uughhhhhh:
What the fuck did you seriously just say the old interface was better? You're nuts. That thing was aaaawful

New models are optional client-side and always have been

The first interface sucked, the full screen opaque windows was decent, they simply just compounded on that with the third interface(which I assume is still being used.) So yeah, I'd have to agree with Led, the 2nd interface is a thousand times better than the stock third one.

Is a station pass still $20? Since I'm paying for PlanetSide, I'd fork over the $8 for EQ.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 06-14-2006 at 09:04 PM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-14-2006 09:10:06 PM
quote:
Skaw's fortune cookie read:
The first interface sucked, the full screen opaque windows was decent, they simply just compounded on that with the third interface(which I assume is still being used.) So yeah, I'd have to agree with Led, the 2nd interface is a thousand times better than the stock third one.

Is a station pass still $20? Since I'm paying for PlanetSide, I'd fork over the $8 for EQ.

They upped it to $25 for the privalage to play SWG and Matrix Online.

Skaw
posted 06-14-2006 09:27:50 PM
Do people even play those games in the first place?
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-14-2006 11:00:29 PM
*equips his rose tinted glasses* alright let's do this
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-14-2006 11:08:16 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Skaw said:
Do people even play those games in the first place?

Maybe if they have the Station Pass already for the better games. That's how they got me to buy EQ2.

Feel sorry for the poor schlubs that get suckered into paying any money for SWG now, though.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-14-2006 11:08:33 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about (_|_):
SoD

CHA attached to spell resists, and a specialization system where if you don't put all your points into a certain specialization you get massive resists = HATE.

Sorry.

quote:
They upped it to $25 for the privalage to play SWG and Matrix Online.

I also figured that they did it because they realized "hay, we can stick Vanguard on here soon ".

Willias fucked around with this message on 06-14-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 06-15-2006 03:54:20 AM
Of course I will be there. Freschel, Wood elf, druid. Also, I'll be prepared for the inevitable lag issue of so many players at one time.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-15-2006 04:32:55 PM
If they allowed the Beastlord to start I'd be all over it. the floppy lipped bear.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-15-2006 05:04:40 PM
quote:
Blackened still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
Well now that you posted here I'd better get started, eh

see what I did there

Actually, no, I don't. Could you explain it to me? A PM is fine.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Taldir
Pancake
posted 06-15-2006 06:44:04 PM
I will be there.. but won't this thing be VERY overcrowded?
Tier
posted 06-15-2006 07:25:30 PM
For the first 2 weeks. Then everyone will remember why they quit in the first place and cancel.
Suddar
posted 06-15-2006 07:31:30 PM
quote:
So quoth Asha'man:
For the first 2 weeks. Then everyone will remember why they quit in the first place and cancel.

I'm glad you can speak for everybody. You hardly even know yourself, so it's pretty fucking annoying when you try to spread your word as gospel. I could be a lot more harsh here but I'm holding back, but needless to say, please cease speaking. Forever.

Skaw
posted 06-15-2006 07:57:59 PM
quote:
Suddar was listening to Cher while typing:
I'm glad you can speak for everybody. You hardly even know yourself, so it's pretty fucking annoying when you try to spread your word as gospel. I could be a lot more harsh here but I'm holding back, but needless to say, please cease speaking. Forever.

Winner :V

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-15-2006 10:02:23 PM
quote:
Taldir had this to say about Robocop:
I will be there.. but won't this thing be VERY overcrowded?

Blackened
posted 06-15-2006 10:03:34 PM

Skaw
posted 06-15-2006 11:36:30 PM
Too bad the Combine fell to an MIT Graduate with no prior weapons experience before the Black Mesa incident.

Makes me wonder how they managed to actually oppress humanity.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: