EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Macedonia is a Greek name--> thread#2
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:17:05 PM
I was advised to use the wrong tag by an EC member. I appologize, here is my thread.

"In its first major policy move, the United States has recognised the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia as “Macedonia”, the name strongly rejected by neighbour Greece for the past 13 years.

There was jubilation in Macedonia, an ally of the Americans in the Iraq war, but outrage in Greece, a Nato ally, where the news came out of the blue. The European Union also did not appear to have been informed in advance. – Agencies "

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/11/5/world/9333770&sec=world

I am a Greek Canadian, and as such I somewhat follow the political standings of my countries.
I am very very pissed off that Bush who had no fucking right to give away a GREEK name... did. HE "honours" the name Macedonia eh... conviniently after the election it is passed... so he won't lose the votes of the greeks eh...

That asshole.

All of Greece's history is being STOLEN from other countries.

Nike, in France.

Our COLUMNS... in England.

and NOW the city state of Alexander the Great, Macedonia, is being taken and given to FYROM!!!!

Greece was much larger long time ago. Greek Macedonia (the real Macedonia) stretched further up... but of course now... 48% of the former Greek city state of Macedonia is shared among Bulgaria, Albania, Serbia, Bosnia... etc etc... and 52% remains in Greece.

Alexander the Great's language wasn't understood by the Greeks eh? Let me mention that his teacher of Aristotle who was born in Macedonia is hands down GREEK. Why the fuck are FYROM people trying to take JUST one King of Macedonia away?? Could it be because they have no history? Is that why they are shit disturbers?!?!

I am pissed.

I am sharing my anger with you all. Although I am certain if you do not follow the history of Greece or are not of the culture, then this thread will not really matter to you ECers.

Thank you.

Nike fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Winning IS everything
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-06-2004 05:20:01 PM
Actually Drys told you to not use your caps lock, which you failed to do again.

By the way, what right do you have to complain about it anyways? Greek Canadian != Greek.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-06-2004 05:20:44 PM
What do you mean by columns in England? Newspaper columns? Stone columns.

If it was the latter, you can blame the Romans for popularising them.

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:20:53 PM
quote:
Liam stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Actually Drys told you to not use your caps lock, which you failed to do again.

By the way, what right do you have to complain about it anyways? Greek Canadian != Greek.

Shoot... I forgot... maybe I can fix it now!!

Winning IS everything
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 11-06-2004 05:22:16 PM
rolleyes

It's a goddamn name, what do you care? You don't even live in Greece.

Jens fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 05:24 PM.

hey
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:26:49 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mortious camp:

Stone columns. I guess I cannot blame them for being jealous of how pretty they are. I'm just upset that every place in the world seems to have a piece of Greece, and now the Greek people fight so hard to keep the name of their Macedonian King, the 16 ray sun and a rich historic city state name to themselves... and again something is taken away.

It's just frustrating, that's all. I needed to vent.

Winning IS everything
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:29:43 PM
quote:
Jens had this to say about Knight Rider:
rolleyes

It's a goddamn name, what do you care? You don't even live in Greece.

I care because I am Greek. I am very proud of the history of where I am from. Just because I was born on Canadian soil, I do not think I should forget where I came from. I am passionate about it, and that is why I care.

Winning IS everything
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-06-2004 05:29:51 PM
You can be proud of the fact that Greece invented the first true Democracy, and basically laid the foundations for modern civilization.

Rome was just a Greece wannabe.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-06-2004 05:31:01 PM
Get over it. Honestly.

Here's an idea for Greece: do something to remain relevant in the 21st century, instead of whining about how great they used to be.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-06-2004 05:31:59 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Get over it. Honestly.

Here's an idea for Greece: do something to remain relevant in the 21st century, instead of whining about how great they used to be.

Seriously though. I mean, if Italy can do it, so can you guys!!!

And by you guys I mean Grecians, not the original poster.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:33:47 PM
quote:
From the book of Mortious, chapter 3, verse 16:

Well the Greeks did get Beaten by a bunch of Italians, who promptly stole everything, even their gods.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-06-2004 05:35:03 PM
I still don't get the "Shit disturbers" reference.

But I would like to remind you that locale names are re-used, often in different countries, as a matter of course. New YORK, New MEXICO, hell there's a Jerusalem in Virginia.

As for the idea that because Greece controls 52% of what was at one time (probably 2000+ years ago) Macedonia does not give it "controlling interest" in a name. This isn't a corporation. It's not like they're calling a country in Eastern Asia Macedonia, with people possessing no heritage claim to it. If what is being called Macedon now was once part of Macedonia, then they have the right to the name.

Now for the claim that Greece's history is being "stolen" by other countries (you said stolen "From" by the way...which would mean something wholly different)...Yeah. A lot of countries use ideas that come from other countries. Your point? Paper comes from Egypt and China. The language you speak is a bastardization of Latin, German, and several other tongues. Greeks didn't invent Math, either. Near as anyone can figure, it was probably the Egyptians who developed algebra first (Algebra, btw, comes from Arabic; "your" ancestors weren't even capable of retaining their mathematical heritage...it took another people to preserve it).

I'm all for being proud of where you came from. I'm very proud of the fact that my ancestors are primarily German and Native American. I can rattle off the tribe and nation of my Native American ancestors. I feel Native Americans in general were given the shaft by European settlers, including Greeks. So. Would it really do for me to bitch about what YOUR ancestors did? How YOUR ancestors stole from MY ancestors? "Why don't you pack your Greco-Roman trash up and get back to the Aegean peninsula where you belong" sound good? No? You're right. A lot has happened since those times and we're not who our ancestors are.

Get a grip, kid. You're starting to sound like a fruitcake again.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-06-2004 05:39:47 PM
History is just that. History. You can treasure your culture. It's not like Macedonia is going to go in and tear up anything GReek they recognize, then go to the libraries armed with white out and pencils.

Hell, and just to make you feel worse, I never considered Alexander The Great "Greek", really.

Nevermind to mention how terrible it starts to sound when you start saying things like "I highly doubt anyone who doesn't share my cultural background can comprehend the anger I have at this moment."

It's not a freaking Holocaust.

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-06-2004 05:42:19 PM
It's pretty close in severity, Lash.
Peter
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 05:45:23 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
...Hell, and just to make you feel worse, I never considered Alexander The Great "Greek", really.

Great Greek? Wasn't like one of his first conquests uhhh Greece? I mean How could he be Greek if he had to take it over

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 11-06-2004 05:50:56 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was listening to Cher while typing:
Near as anyone can figure, it was probably the Egyptians who developed algebra first (Algebra, btw, comes from Arabic; "your" ancestors weren't even capable of retaining their mathematical heritage...it took another people to preserve it).

I thought it was speculated to be Summarian if I remember correctly (Could be eqyptian, I'm not sure, you're the bookhead. ).

And I'd have to say this is the most pointless, uneducated rant I've heard in a long time. Especially someone who claims deep vested interest in thier heritage.

Most of the points you listed weren't even Grecian, neither was Macedonia if you want to get technical about it. It was originally a conquered like everything else, because it was a strategic attraction. So if you REALLY want to get anal about it, everything Greece had was stolen from somewhere else as it happened to conquer the known world of the time.

You are also confusing a few Grecian/Roman points in there as well. For one, during the middleages Greece itself spent a great deal of time progating thier culture INTO the culture of others because they were without influence.

I really need to get back into my ancient history, Rosa used to taunt me constantly with Roman lore.

Still most of this rant is either invalid, or basless to begin with.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-06-2004 06:04:57 PM
There's reason to believe that any number of ancient civilizations had some form of mathematics (archaeological digs in proto-Indian cultures suggest they laid out their cities in carefully measured grids, which suggests mathematics of some sort), but Egypt is the first one which left behind their manuals of what we recognize as algebra behind. They also pre-date the Greeks, which is why I used it as a reference point.

For the record, by the way, Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian. Egypt had, by the time of the Roman conquest, long been subsumed by generations of inbred MACEDONIAN rulers who took over Alexander of Macedonia (Alexander the Great) died without an heir. So, Nike, still want to sit on your high horse about other peoples stealing your ancestral heritage?

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-06-2004 06:11:07 PM
quote:
Nike had this to say about Duck Tales:

I am a Greek Canadian, and as such I somewhat follow the political standings of my countries.
I am very very pissed off that Bush who had no fucking right to give away a GREEK name... did. HE "honours" the name Macedonia eh... conviniently after the election it is passed... so he won't lose the votes of the greeks eh...

That tickles me in such a way that if Loretta were to tickle me in that way, I would respond, "Oh yeah. That's the stuff."

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-06-2004 06:16:14 PM
quote:
This one time, at Lashanna camp:
History is just that. History. You can treasure your culture. It's not like Macedonia is going to go in and tear up anything GReek they recognize, then go to the libraries armed with white out and pencils.

Hell, and just to make you feel worse, I never considered Alexander The Great "Greek", really.

Nevermind to mention how terrible it starts to sound when you start saying things like "I highly doubt anyone who doesn't share my cultural background can comprehend the anger I have at this moment."

It's not a freaking Holocaust.

And you know you're screwed when Lashanna and I agree 100% on a political topic!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-06-2004 06:28:42 PM
omg my NAME is delphi so you have TO hate me m i RITE?
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 06:33:30 PM
Actually, the Greek city-states during the Golden Age of Greece (Hellenic Period I think?) didn't consider the Macedonians Greek. Don't believe me? Ask any expert in Greek history. Yes, Alexander the Great started the Hellenistic Period, but that just means "Greek-like". You can blame Alexander for the spread of Greek ideas like that. Then again, you can also blame Alexander for the revival of Greek culture since the city-states at that time were declining in power (it was post Peloponesian War). Honestly, had it not been for people like Alexander and the Romans for embracing Greek culture as their own, it might have been lost. Quit your bitching.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
nem-x
posted 11-06-2004 06:35:22 PM
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 06:36:49 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Great Greek? Wasn't like one of his first conquests uhhh Greece? I mean How could he be Greek if he had to take it over

No, it was Philip of Macedon that took over Greece. Alexander just took over Persia, Egypt, and a little bit of India. Then his soldiers mutinied and told him to stop. In the trek back, a lot of them died... including him if I remember correctly.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Demos
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 06:36:50 PM
Clearly, the only way to end this peacefully is to appease the masses with more pictures of your beautiful self.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Mod
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 07:23:12 PM
When the people of the former Yugoslavia decided that, after fifty years of not killing each other and cooperating to some benefit, enough was enough, communism was out and genocide was in, the Macedonians split from the crumbling Yugoslavia and were let go without bloodshed, the new Macedonian leadership wanted to adopt the name "Republic of Macedonia", Greece became rather mad, not for cultural reasons but because they feared that in an already volatile enviroment a new state like that springing up could trigger a seperatist movement in the adjacent Greek province of Macedonia, a huge issue was made of the Macedonian flag and a war was only narrowly averted by a whole lot of diplomatic dinners.

That whole situation was horribly absurd. The territory that is now Macedonia has been calling itself Macedonia since the end of world war two, the people who live there currently have been calling themselves Macedonian all their lives, Bush didn't give the name away, you can attribute that to the forces who reorganized the remnants of monarchist Yugoslavia after the war, once the name FYROM was widely accepted there was really no prayer of people calling it anything but Macedonia.

I think you are getting a bit caught up in your national pride here, Greece has been part of the Roman empire, yet it is not called the Formerly Roman Republic of Greece any more than Pakistan is the Formerly British Republic of Pakistan, multiple places with identical or similar names are very common, look at various city names in the US, New York, New England and so on, English culture is not diminished by them. The FY part of FYROM was going to go away eventually, that was clear from the start, Macedonia isn't going to invade Greece and hopefully the whole problem will not go Cyprus and fill slow news days for ages to come.

Current Macedonia isn't really Greek, it's in large part populated by Albanians and other Slavs and has a sizable Muslim population, the Macedonian language is afaik very similar to Bulgarian and whatnot, but the reality of the matter is that there is a political entity that has had the name Macedonia for fifty-some years, weather or not their ancestors actually worshipped Zeus really doesn't play into it, you could probably create an academic shitstorm with people flinging territorial, cultural, political and legal arguments for this side or the other claiming the name but in reality Yugoslav Macedonia has called itself Macedonia for almost sixty years while Greece actually called what is today Greek Macedonia 'Northern Greece' in administrative documents, since there is no actual territorial dispute involved I wouldn't say that calling the FYROM Macedonia by right of custom detracts any more from Greek tradition (And be honest, all those things you listed there are what people still associate with Greek culture, no matter who claimed them for themselves later) than any other similarity in names between different places.

Also Demos is so smooth he's clearly sliding places.

Mod fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-06-2004 07:52:48 PM
Mod for the win.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-06-2004 08:29:49 PM
In our class, we always agreed that FYROM sounds like an organization of James Bond villains.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what Greece or Macedonia do if their troops haven't figured out how to turn yet.*

*Catch the reference, win a cookie.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
UBT
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 08:31:43 PM
This is probably the stupidest rant I've ever seen, and I've seen some stupid shit. You can look all over the world and find pieces of ancient cultures still used today. The days of the week being named after Nordic Gods/esses, cities being named after Native American tribes/languages, even parts of the government being carried on from ancient cultures. Being proud of your heritage is one thing, but getting pissed at another country because they acknowledge another countries name is just moronic. Hell, going by your way of though Isreal isn't a real country because it's the name of their tribe.

Maybe you should get with the times.

By the way, if Greece is so pissed about it wy don't they go attack them and take them over? If I remember right, when I was there in 2001 the entire Macedonian Air Force consisted of eight helicopters (four of which were still on loan from the Russians since they were still training them.) Just be careful, as they also don't follow the rules of war and attack people with red cross symbols on their Hind Gunships.

UBT fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 08:35 PM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 11-06-2004 09:18:27 PM
So what, the Greeks should presume to tell us who we can and can't have diplomatic relations with? Who the hell do they think they are, the Chinese?

And in the interest of full disclosure, I will note that I am also part Greek, on my mom's side of the family and the whole name thing doesn't mean two shits to me.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-06-2004 09:36:12 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

I couldn't agree with you more. Every 'turbo Greek' Ive run into cannot seem to stop talking how totally awesome the Greeks used to be thousands of years ago.

It gets old very quick.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 11-06-2004 09:58:44 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I couldn't agree with you more. Every 'turbo Greek' Ive run into cannot seem to stop talking how totally awesome the Greeks used to be thousands of years ago.

It gets old very quick.

It was practically the theme of the Olympics this year.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 10:13:56 PM
For all you other people. Do you consider Aristotle to be Greek?

If yes, and there are arguments that Alexander the Great's language which he spoke was not understood by the other greeks, then how, pray tell, did Aristotle teach Alexander so much? Alexander spoke greek. "The emergence of Coptic (c. AD 300-c. 1400), the last phase of Egyptian, coincides both with the replacement of traditional Egyptian writing by an adaptation of the Greek alphabet and with the rise of a Christian literature." http://library.thinkquest.org/C007680/oldlanguage.html

Yes Egyptian came first, arguable so did Persian. But the language that has surpassed the test of time, and is used almost everywhere is the Greek one.
A Bulgarian Macedonian is a friend of mine, and he agrees that he is NOT Macedonian, he is a Bulgrian in a country that has become a melting pot with a name which they believe is theres. They believe the 16 ray sun is theres, Alexander the Great too... Yah OK.

"And today Slavs have been living there for a period of 1,400 years. What is more natural than that the Balkanized Slavs who have lived so long and continuously in Macedonia should be called Macedonians and their language Macedonian."
http://faq.macedonia.org/history/ancient.macedonians.html (this is a biased site btw)

Only 1400 years eh? For those who are arguing about the history of Greece, I am certain you cannot possibly twist anything around to disagree that Greece's history is much longer than that.

The only reason Bush decided he would cause a stir with the Greeks, is because the FYROM people backed him up, so he wanted to talk out of his ass and attempt to say something important.

The Europeans took Canada away from the Natives, I think thats wrong. But fuck, if someone who is of that culture doesn't care, then I am not going to rant or whine about it. THIS on the other hand is something happening inside MY culture and the beliefs I grew up with. If you want to judge me because I am passionate about something, go ahead. Your opinions in this matter are of no great importance to me. It is as if I were going to post a reply to an online game thread, something which I know nothing about. Just to be "cool" and "tough" and share my two cents with everyone. I wouldn't do it.

This on the other hand, I know.

quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Get over it. Honestly.

You mean relevent like the American Government's productive means of policing the world and showing their power?

Winning IS everything
UBT
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:03:58 PM
If you don't care, then why even rant about it. People are giving you their opinions and you don't care? Fine, bitch about something that you have no control over anyways. It's not like you will ever be able to make the Macedonians change their country name.

UBT fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:10:27 PM
Um, I don't know what this bullshit about the Greek language being used everywhere. Didn't the Greeks steal the Phoenician Alphabet?

Aristotle was born in Macedonia I believe, but did most of his intellectual work in Greece, which is why he his considered Greek. Alexander was the king of Macedonia, and conquered Greece and the rest of the known world. He was not greek, he was macedonian. But to be honest, no one really cares. If the only thing you have to cling on to is a several millenia old warrior-king, then you are in dire straits.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:14:03 PM
You know, the Greeks called Macedonians barbarians. The Greek word for barbarian literally means "not-Greek". That would imply that the Greeks didn't view Macedonians as Greeks. Alexander the Great was Macedonian. I think you can connect the dots from there. Now the Spartans, they were truly Greek. A real Spartan:
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:18:18 PM
quote:
Noxhil stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Um, I don't know what this bullshit about the Greek language being used everywhere. Didn't the Greeks steal the Phoenician Alphabet?

Aristotle was born in Macedonia I believe, but did most of his intellectual work in Greece, which is why he his considered Greek. Alexander was the king of Macedonia, and conquered Greece and the rest of the known world. He was not greek, he was macedonian. But to be honest, no one really cares. If the only thing you have to cling on to is a several millenia old warrior-king, then you are in dire straits.

In the Macedon, a city state.

So a Spartan isn't Greek eh? *rolls eyes*

I already talked about the alphabet *swears under her breath*

Why don't you talk about something you have some grasp on. And instead of talking about the history which the Greeks hold on to, why don't you answer my question on how the Americans get involved and change the world.

Winning IS everything
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 11-06-2004 11:19:10 PM
quote:
Demos wrote this stupid crap:
Clearly, the only way to end this peacefully is to appease the masses with more pictures of your beautiful self.

I concur! To this end I will gladly refuse to recognize that republic as Macedonia.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Sean
posted 11-06-2004 11:20:40 PM
quote:
Nike had this to say about Pirotess:
why don't you answer my question on how the Americans get involved and change the world.

We raped the Nazis with their own bratwurst.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:20:45 PM
quote:
How.... Nike.... uughhhhhh:
Why don't you answer my question on how the Americans get involved and change the world.

How? By having the power to back up what we say?

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:22:34 PM
quote:
Alek impressed everyone with:
[QB]Now the Spartans, they were truly Greek.

READ CAREFULLY!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: