EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Macedonia is a Greek name--> thread#2
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:30:59 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Alek wrote:
You know, the Greeks called Macedonians barbarians. The Greek word for barbarian literally means "not-Greek". That would imply that the Greeks didn't view Macedonians as Greeks. Alexander the Great was Macedonian. I think you can connect the dots from there. Now the Spartans, they were truly Greek. A real Spartan:

Alexander the Great

Who were his parents... let me see... Olympias and Philip II. Philip II born in Macedonia, and his mother from Thessaloniki. Which makes him... "half greek" by your 'standards'. Also he was born in the city of Pella which was the capitol of Macedon.

Here's a map. Try to argue with that Alek. You can find a modern map, or an ancient map of Greece.

http://www.travelinfo.gr/greece/info/maps.htm

If you don't trust that map find another one. Then point to Pella. Then tell me how your foot tastes.

Winning IS everything
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-06-2004 11:40:45 PM
Golly, how did America change the world?

-Set stones for modern democracies
-Been involved in a few wars (for good or for worse)
-Increased trade and still increases trade

Get over yourself, kid. You're barely Greek.

This is like me crying about people who aren't Mexican wearing sombreros. Except my post would be chock full of hilarity and strippers.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:41:15 PM
quote:
Nike thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Bunch of crap

Alexander the Great was not Greek. I'm half Spanish, but I'm not Spanish. Quit trying to find semantic loopholes. Now once you quit being a little bish, realize that no one really cares about what you're saying. I just wanted to point out that Alexander the Great wasn't Greek. Furthermore, I also wanted to point out that it was Philip of Macedon that crushed Greece with their own tactics. Well, kind of. He modified the original Greek phalanx formation a little bit, but he did learn that at Thebes. Still, he wasn't Greek either.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-06-2004 11:43:42 PM
quote:
Nike enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Alexander the Great

Who were his parents... let me see... Olympias and Philip II. Philip II born in Macedonia, and his mother from Thessaloniki. Which makes him... "half greek" by your 'standards'. Also he was born in the city of Pella which was the capitol of Macedon.

Here's a map. Try to argue with that Alek. You can find a modern map, or an ancient map of Greece.

http://www.travelinfo.gr/greece/info/maps.htm

If you don't trust that map find another one. Then point to Pella. Then tell me how your foot tastes.

By my standards you're not Grecian at all, just a whiny Canadian.

We have enough of those here as is, just so you know.

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:46:53 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan's account was hax0red to write:
Golly, how did America change the world?

-Set stones for modern democracies
-Been involved in a few wars (for good or for worse)
-Increased trade and still increases trade

Get over yourself, kid. You're barely Greek.

This is like me crying about people who aren't Mexican wearing sombreros. Except my post would be chock full of hilarity and strippers.

Barely greek?
Parcelan, there is no other blood that runs through my veins.

Policing the world and causing hell where it doesn't belong. Killing a bunch of innocent people. You're so full of shit.

And Alek. You didn't tell everyone where Pella is located. And if you don't really care, then stop posting and let this thread die.

You're wrong.

Look at the map. Then shut up.

Winning IS everything
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 11-06-2004 11:48:31 PM
So you have Greek Citizenship?

Because the blood that runs in your veins is human blood am i rite?

Nae fucked around with this message on 11-06-2004 at 11:49 PM.

nem-x
posted 11-06-2004 11:49:06 PM
The ancient samurai blood runs through my veins.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-06-2004 11:49:21 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Nike:
Barely greek?
Parcelan, there is no other blood that runs through my veins.

Policing the world and causing hell where it doesn't belong. Killing a bunch of innocent people. You're so full of shit.

A) Watch the personal attacks, young lady.
B) Liam already proved that by your standards, you aren't really Greek.
C) Back up proof to this 'killing of innocent people' garbage or find some new material

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 11:50:25 PM
I've never understood ethnic pride. I always assumed that the people who feel the need to flaunt that they're Italian, French etc. do so because that's the only worthwhile thing that applies to them.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:51:15 PM
quote:
Nike was listening to Cher while typing:
And Alek. You didn't tell everyone where Pella is located. And if you don't really care, then stop posting and let this thread die.

http://plato-dialogues.org/tools/loc/pella.htm

You're wrong. You basically debunked your point by saying that Alexander was born in Pella, since it was part of Macedon. Honestly, quit being such a whiny brat. Talk to a historian, they'll probably tell you to quit being a whiny brat and tell you that ALexander was Macedonian. Sure, his mom might have been Greek, but even in Greece you had a patrilineal progression. The role of the women was to not be seen except for religious ceremony and rituals.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-06-2004 11:52:28 PM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I've never understood ethnic pride. I always assumed that the people who feel the need to flaunt that they're Italian, French etc. do so because that's the only worthwhile thing that applies to them.

I'M IRISH YOU ANGLICAN WHORE.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-06-2004 11:54:21 PM
I've never introduced myself as half-Spanish and half-Italian, I always say I'm Salvadorean. I don't know why Nike keeps insisting she's Greek and not Canadian. No, you can't be Greek-Canadian. That's just silly. I'm not Italo/Ibero-Salvadorean now am I?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-06-2004 11:58:05 PM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Robocop:
I'M IRISH YOU ANGLICAN WHORE.

Anyone who claims to be Irish, Buddhist, Wiccan or Psychic is automatically qualified as a loser. - Watkins' Law

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-06-2004 11:59:02 PM
It doesn't matter how much you dislike America, but in no way can you ever say that America hasn't changed the world entirely.

As for Greece, Nike, what makes you such an expert? Most of what I've heard out you is barely even secondhand knowledge.

fyi u should know im roman, and you all should be ashamed with what you did with our culture i mean god wtf

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:00:08 AM
Lashanna secretly hates Romania.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-07-2004 12:00:29 AM
quote:
So quoth Lashanna:
fyi u should know im roman, and you all should be ashamed with what you did with our culture i mean god wtf

Listen, dorkchop, I know you invented indoor plumbing, but I'm not gonna pay you tribute everytime I flush.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-07-2004 12:00:48 AM
My Polish and Russian ethnicity sort of balance each other out.

edit: and since I'm part Russian, I get pretty offended when non-Russians drink Vodka or establish Communist governments.

Zair fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 12:02 AM.

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:01:05 AM
quote:
Nae impressed everyone with:
So you have Greek Citizenship?

Because the blood that runs in your veins is human blood am i rite?

Yes.

Winning IS everything
UBT
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:01:33 AM
You live in Canada! You are Canadian! Just because you might have a different ethnic background means nothing. You are Canadian! You were born in Canada, making you Canadian!

I live in America! I am American! I am part Native American, part Spanish, and part Danish! I am American! I was born in American, making me American!

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 11-07-2004 12:04:17 AM
quote:
UBT wrote this stupid crap:
You live in Canada! You are Canadian! Just because you might have a different ethnic background means nothing. You are Canadian! You were born in Canada, making you Canadian!

I live in America! I am American! I am part Native American, part Spanish, and part Danish! I am American! I was born in American, making me American!

No, that makes you my porkchop.

mmmmmm... porkchop sandwiches!

As for you Nike..Yes you are human, or yes you have Greek Citizenship?

I am confused?!?

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-07-2004 12:04:25 AM
I've yet to see why this is even issue. This is literally one of the most pointless of pointless things to get upstrapless about.

Seriously, why the fuck do you even care?

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:07:15 AM
quote:
Nae wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
No, that makes you my porkchop.

mmmmmm... porkchop sandwiches!

As for you Nike..Yes you are human, or yes you have Greek Citizenship?

I am confused?!?

Yes, I have greek citizenship.

Winning IS everything
Demos
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:07:56 AM
A ha! She just admitted she's not human!

*pounces the alien and locks her up*

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 11-07-2004 12:09:19 AM
quote:
Demos wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

This thread makes all the more sense now!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-07-2004 12:09:44 AM
quote:
This one time, at Demos camp:

Political flame threads are great places to meet chicks

Demos
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:17:27 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan probably says this to all the girls:
Political flame threads are great places to meet chicks

*kicks parce from under the table*

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 11-07-2004 12:36:45 AM
quote:
Nike had this to say about Pirotess:
why don't you answer my question on how the Americans get involved and change the world.

c.1870: The first viable DC generator is pioneered by Thomas Edison.

1885: Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse begin production of AC dynamos, transformers, and motors.

1903: Orville and Wilbur Wright fly the first manned, powered heavier than air machine to achieve controlled flight.

1908: The first Model T rolls off the assembly line, becoming the first automobile available to the average citizen.

1942: At the University of Chicago, Enrico Fermi and a team of scientists initiate and control a self sustaining nuclear reaction; this event would be heralded as the start of the atomic age.

1946: Two American scientists perform the first successful nuclear magnetic resonance experiment, the precursor to the technology behind magnetic resonance imaging.

1947: Bell Telephone develops the transistor.

1955: Jonas Salk develops the first polio vaccination.

1959: Texas Instruments and Fairchild semiconductor announce the integrated circuit.

1962: At the request of the U.S. Air Force, Paul Baran conceptualizes what would eventually become the basis for the internet: "Packet switching is the breaking down of data into datagrams or packets that are labeled to indicate the origin and the destination of the information and the forwarding of these packets from one computer to another computer until the information arrives at its final destination computer. This was crucial to the realization of a computer network. If packets are lost at any given point, the message can be resent by the originator."

1969: ARPANet is launched, connecting the University of California at Los Angeles, SRI at Stanford, The University of California at Santa Barbara, and the University of Utah at 50kbps.

1971: Intel introduces the first commercial microprocessor, the 4004.

1975: The first "personal computer", the MITS Altair, is featured on the cover of Popular Science. It retails for approximately $450. Bill Gates and Paul Allen develop BASIC for this system.

1979: "USENET" is established between Duke and UNC Chapel Hill.

1982: The TCP/IP standard established by Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn becomes the standard communication protocol for ARPANet.

1990: The U.S. Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health start "HGP", the Human Genome Project, a 15 year project aiming to, among other things, identify all of the genes in human DNA.

2003: The Human Genome Project comes to a close as the sequencing of the human genome is completed.

We've been "getting involved and changing the world" for over 100 years. That's not everything (heck, putting people on the moon isn't even on there), and it's restricted mainly to the technological field. There are whole seperate lists for other fields.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 11-07-2004 01:28:23 AM
I'm still not seeing the point... it's like if Quebec seceded and canadians whined about them calling their country Quebec.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-07-2004 02:08:29 AM
What does it matter? We are all infidels.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-07-2004 05:11:48 AM
OK, I didn't read all of this shit, sooo..

First off.. ITS A FUCKING NAME! (oho, capslock ahoy)

Second, Why does the world have to fucking approve of a name for a newly recognized nation? Its not like anybody else was using that name, is it?

Why does the world have to approve of a new nation? Its not like they live there.

Why do you (Nike) give a shit about somebody in todays era using an ancient name to describe themselves? Lets think about this a minute. Modern country taking the name of an ancient state, that was once powerful.

You, a Canadian on a message board, have chosen the name of an ancient goddess, who is no longer worshipped.. No offense, you're attractive and all, but you're not a goddess.

OMG, POT AND KETTLE!

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 05:34:16 AM
No, you don't understand, you can't understand, NO ONE CAN FEEL HER PAIN!!!!1 Her eye shadow made-up history is WHO SHE IS!!11, can't you see it?!!1
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blackened
posted 11-07-2004 05:43:19 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Knight Rider:
No, you don't understand, you can't understand, NO ONE CAN FEEL HER PAIN!!!!1 Her eye shadow made-up history is WHO SHE IS!!11, can't you see it?!!1
You need to stop livin in the past, maaaaaaann.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-07-2004 05:48:14 AM
I'm using a Japanese adjective for a name, but I'm Irish/German/Native-American and not Japanese.

I'm marked for death.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 06:14:35 AM
Just to throw another grenade on the table:

Nationality isn't fucking genetic, fercryinoutloud! For that matter, race is genetically meaningless as well. Now can we get with the goddamned program and join the 21st century, already?

Jeebus is crap like this annoying.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-07-2004 07:18:05 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Duck Tales:

Nationality isn't fucking genetic, fercryinoutloud! For that matter, race is genetically meaningless as well. Now can we get with the goddamned program and join the 21st century, already?

No matter how many times that gets said, it always seems like no-one listens...

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-07-2004 07:19:35 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about the Spice Girls:

Then why dont black guys play hockey???

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-07-2004 07:20:21 AM
quote:
Kaiote had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Then why dont black guys play hockey???

White guys with sticks on a white field chasing a black puck? Seems a little intimidating.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-07-2004 09:46:10 AM
I demand the US not treat Norway and Finland as sovereign nations. Sweden owned them at more than one point of history, and everyone knows history is much more important than the now.
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 11:30:03 AM
I don't think you guys understand what comes with the name Macedonia.

Alexander the Great comes with the name. If you just take the time to read what I have said instead of repeating your unnecessary verbal diarhea, perhaps you can understand.

Also, the questions some of you guys are asking, have been answered by me. Honestly. If this thread is "pissing you guys off" so much, and you find it the worst thread ever, then why in God's name are you still writting in it?

Right, that's what I thought.

Here are some things about Canada to be proud of.

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

4. Baseball is Canadian

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

6. Hockey is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

8. Apple pie is Canadian

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass

11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to
Germany.

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.

14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American
mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.

19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

Greeks contributed also:

1. First sewer system.

2. Cheesecake

3. Olympic Games (776 BC)

4. Anchor

5. Catapult

6. Chewing Gum

7. Cranes

8. Flame thrower

9. Floating Bridge

10. Parchment (papyrus was first i know)

11. Railway

12. Robot

13. Shock- Absorber

14. Wind Power

15. Central Heating

16. Mathematics

Sure the list isn't as long as the others, but some of those things are still used today.

I have citizenship in both Canada and Greece. I feel richer that I do have two places I consider home for me, I have two countries which I will defend. As much as it seems I favour the Greek side, I am very proud of being Canadian. Although our Navy consists of a couple row boats, that is beyond the point. I go to Greece almost every year, and I have been doing that for a long time. It is my second home. Although I am certain that some people can understand the feeling of a second home (it doesn't have to be a country, it could be anything; someone else's house, a secret place you go to when you're not feeling right, school).

Anyhow, if no one else has anything NEW to say in this thread. Let it die since it is bothering you all ever so much.

Thanks.

Winning IS everything
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 11:39:53 AM
I don't know which is more horrifying: your grasp of history, or your understanding of culture.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: