EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Macedonia is a Greek name--> thread#2
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 11:44:40 AM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I don't know which is more horrifying: your grasp of history, or your understanding of culture.

Elaborate.

Winning IS everything
Sean
posted 11-07-2004 11:44:57 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I don't know which is more horrifying: your grasp of history, or your understanding of culture.

Is it too late for me to make an "I'm Irish" joke?

Contrary to popular belief, there are times where I don't feel like drinking. I call these periods "hangovers".

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 11:47:46 AM
quote:
Nike had this to say about Cuba:
Elaborate.

Okay: your decidedly bizarre concepts regarding international diplomacy and genetics are also awe-inspiring, in a seeing-a-train-wreck kind of way.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 11:50:43 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Bloodsage:
Okay: your decidedly bizarre concepts regarding international diplomacy and genetics are also awe-inspiring, in a seeing-a-train-wreck kind of way.

Your lack of any comprehension of the situation is enough to make me sick.

Winning IS everything
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 11:54:40 AM
quote:
Nike wrote this stupid crap:
Your lack of any comprehension of the situation is enough to make me sick.

Actually, it's clear that I understand the situation much better than you do. But feel free to keep crying and whining anyway, after you said you just wanted to let the thread die, but apparently only if you could have the last ridiculous word.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 11:59:51 AM
No, Nike, I'm not the least interested in receiving a free subscription to your uninformed rantings via PM.

If you've got something to say, post it here so the rest of the board can laugh at you, too.

{edit: tag}

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-07-2004 12:06:38 PM
quote:
Nike painfully thought these words up:
Stuff.

First off, I dont understand how you went from being pissed off at something our government did, to out and out bashing of Americans. Your latest list of 'facts' may have some basis in reality, but I dont really feel like looking up any sources to cite for tearing it down.

However, I do have a few comments that dont require sources, because they are my opinion.

1. I've never heard of Mr. Dressup. Mr. Rogers kicks anyones ass because not only was he patriotic enough to serve his country in a DOD organization, he also contributed to our youth. I grew up with him on TV, so some other character I have never even heard of will never take over his place of importance.

2. About Tim Horton Vs. Dunkin Donuts, see above, minus the military aspect.

3. You come to a predominantely American populated board and start spouting about how proud you are that your people burned our capitol? Bad form. Very bad form. Incoming Bloodsage.

4. The US never surrendered to Germany either, and we're the ones who were a big push in putting them back in their place. For the record, I am predominantely German.

5. You have the largest population never surrendurring or withdrawing for the main reason that the US is protecting your ass. I get the feeling that if the US were gone, Canada would soon follow. Always, this is my opinion, which may or may not be backed up with sources.

6. Our civil war was something that would have happened sooner or later. In case you didnt know, the whole part about African American sufferage was not the actual cause for it.

7. Just because a company is old, doesnt mean it is really useful anymore. This can be applied to many things.

8. In all technicalities, you DO marry your kinfolk, unless you're out there marrying monkeys. I'm not sure, and I do not have any source, but I believe scientific studies say all humans are related in some way.

As to close family marraiges, it is against our laws in any case.

9. Freezing your tounges to something isnt something to be proud of.

I'm not even going to attack the Greek things, cause I dont have any extensive knowledge of Grecian inventions.

It looks to me like the first list, at least, was copied and pasted from somewhere, but it doesnt mean it is correct.

Its all well and good that you consider Greece a second home. I used to consider Saudi Arabia my second home; I lived there for much of my childhood. You say you have dual citizenship, and thats all fine and good. You're proud of your heritage, thats good too. But I'm very proud of mine as well. Seeing as Germany took over so much of Europe, etc, etc, I'm not going to whine about how German ideas and names were taken and used from that time period.

But maybe, being a US citizen, I just6 have a different outlook on it all. The US is called a melting pot for many reasons, but one of the main ones is this: I someone likes something they see, and they can use it without copyright infringement, then they are free to do so. Names are just names. Just because someone else is using it, it does not diminish your own heritage. If anything, it elevates it, because someone felt so strongly about what happened so many years ago to honor the event in a name. The fact that FYROM was formally acknowledged as Macedonia doesnt steal anything from you, or from Greece. Alexander the Great's deeds remain the same, as they have for hundreds of years. Greece's history has not changed.

History is something that will always be as it is written. It will never change, because it is in the past. So what if they used a name that die-hard Grecians dont want them to use? The fact of the matter is, its not going to change just because someone, outside the country's influence, doesnt like it.

This next comment may make you angry, so dont say I didnt warn you before you read it.

And I have sat back, reading the entire thread, watching people debunk your statements time and time again, I wondered why you keep coming back for more. I realized its not about a name, for all it seems to be. This smacks a bit of racism (How dare non-Grecians use a Greek name!), patriotism (Its Greek, therefor should not be sullied by other cultures), anger (I dont like it, how DARE they!), mixed in with a frustrated attempt to articulate your arguements in a meaningful way. The reason many are ridiculing you is because you are giving them a semi-incoherent reaction with each post. Ending your posts with "If you dont like it, stop posting" doesnt work around here. You have a lot of political minds who just love jumping on people like you who get inflamed so easily. My advice is to sit back, look at it from another's perspective, before you come back with the torches and pitchforks.

Oh yes, if you would, cite some sources from your list. Then I may believe some of what you say.

Having pride in your country is a good thing, a very good thing. But having pride in your country, then attacking another's nationality just because they disagree with you, is completely asinine.

I can see where you are coming from. I can also see where others are coming from. I'm not politically minded, but I prefer to look into people's emotions and mentalities. Like I said earlier, take a deep breath before you reply again. It may help.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:08:08 PM
Bloodsage I guess this is the only way I can contact you.

The only reason the Greeks Macedonians and FYROM 'macedonians' are disagreeing is because FYROM believes that they are the same. The borders of the two are touching (if anyone bothered to read the map). The language in which FYROM Macedonians speak is closer to Bulgarian. Sure take the name Macedonia for your country... but do not press that FYROM is the place of the TRUE Macedonians. Nor, that Alexander the Great was Bulgarian.

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/4712.php <--- again, if anyone really cares.

Bloodsage, I would suggest getting all your historical facts straight also, I would be embarassed if I were you. Remain uneducated and continue believing whatever you please. I cannot change your opinion. I can only post facts.

Winning IS everything
Lashanna
noob
posted 11-07-2004 12:11:56 PM
This is the funniest thread I've seen in awhile. Some of the stuff in that "Canadian" list I can actually name the inventor and the AMERICAN state of their birth.

But where did your Canadian pride come from, I thought we were discussing Greece?

At any rate, these people are Macedonians, they're calling themself Macedonia. It is finished. You seem to think that you're holding some higher concept that none of us can grasp. I can assure you that there's some very very intelligent people in this thread you've repeatedly insulted.

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Because it's freaking hilarious,

The world isn't going to change now. Documentaries and history books never said "the Greek conqueror, Alexander the Great". They still won't. Leonidas has always been referred to as Spartan, because he was, and Greek. The same goes for Solon and Athens. Alexander the Great has never been Greek and Macedonian as Pisistratus has been Greek and Athenian.

I'm sorry, but history > you.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Azakias
posted 11-07-2004 12:12:11 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Nike wrote:
Bloodsage, I would suggest getting all your historical facts straight also, I would be embarassed if I were you. Remain uneducated and continue believing whatever you please. I cannot change your opinion. I can only post facts.

You do realize that Bloodsage is probably one of the most educated people on this board, dont you?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 12:13:00 PM
quote:
Nike had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Bloodsage I guess this is the only way I can contact you.

The only reason the Greeks Macedonians and FYROM 'macedonians' are disagreeing is because FYROM believes that they are the same. The borders of the two are touching (if anyone bothered to read the map). The language in which FYROM Macedonians speak is closer to Bulgarian. Sure take the name Macedonia for your country... but do not press that FYROM is the place of the TRUE Macedonians. Nor, that Alexander the Great was Bulgarian.

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/4712.php <--- again, if anyone really cares.

Exactly which facts do you allege that I've gotten wrong?

And is it really your contention that apple pie is a Canadian invention? That's easily proved wrong, as even a half-hearted search shows that it was a favorite in England in the 14th century, apples having been brought to the continent from the Middle East by the Romans.

Nike
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:14:52 PM
"Bibliography" so to speak:

Alexander the Great

http://www.1stmuse.com/frames/

Greek Inventions

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Inventions2.htm

Biased pro-FYROM Macedonian Site.

http://faq.macedonia.org/history/ancient.macedonians.html

if anyone cares to bring up paragraphs of that site to me, I will gladly give you my side of the story. I do not just read "pro Greek Macedonian" sites.

Map:

http://www.travelinfo.gr/greece/info/maps.htm

BBC News of what happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3981499.stm

Winning IS everything
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2004 12:17:19 PM
And the hilarity continues!

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 11-07-2004 12:20:29 PM
My god, the ethnocetrism in this thread is off the scale*

*Ethnocetrism- the tendancy to view one's own cultural beliefs as superior and to apply one's own values in judging the behavior and beliefs of people raised in other culture.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-07-2004 12:21:23 PM
Because my post is too old to edit...

Alexander the Great speaking Greek, and Macedonians speaking 'something closer to Bulgarian' really hardly holds water.

Nobility often were taught and raised in languages from other nations. See Russian royalty and French, Romans and Greek, and a million other examples I don't wish to dig up.

And I find it hilarious you continue to call Bloodsage uneducated.

Your American bashing is just hilarious. Next time you copy and paste a list of things, check and make sure all the items are correct, or atleast mostly correct. That list has so many things that are just downright wrong. I feel embarassed for you being so uninformed. I'm sure if we had an Ambassador of Elliniki Dhimokratia here, he'd formally denounce your ignorance.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 12:22:40 PM
quote:
Nike wrote this stupid crap:

Here are some things about Canada to be proud of.

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

Most sports, those included, existed long before Canada or the United States.

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass
Mr. Rogers was awesome, what other kid show do you see that has a guy checking out his neighbor's wife (You know that's what he was doing looking out the window going "Hello, neighbor!" with that tone :-P)?

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to
Germany.
You're happy to be able to claim you're full of French people?

14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.
[i] See? Not even Canadians take Canada seriously.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.
But...plaid is lame, not cool...

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.
Neither do we.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, and zambonis, that save countless lives each year.
These have what real uses? Zippers kinda do, but they could be replaced entirely with buttons with only a moderate and occasional inconvenience.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.
...Go you?

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!
We don't need mitts, making masturbation pretty much everything simpler

On a side note, noone was even talking about Canada.

Greeks contributed also:

6. Chewing Gum
People have been chewing certain types of tree sap all over the world for god knows how long without the Greek influence to do so.

10. Parchment (papyrus was first i know)
So if it's just a modified version of something else, how exactly do you lay claim to it?

12. Robot
I'll admit I don't really know on this one, but I highly doubt it.

16. Mathematics
This has been proven false...repeatedly.

/Apu
Thank you, come again!
/apu off

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 11-07-2004 12:27:13 PM
quote:
Nike's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Big long list of inaccuracies!

You have got to be joking...

And people are still mostly posting in this thread because you are blaming America (Or its administration, whichever you prefer) for you own misconceptions of history, culture, and international diplomacy.

Rather than just let people spout of anything they choose, whenever they choose, while being almost entirely inaccurate and rather offensive to begin with since its basless, people around here tend to argue the point. It's a given in this community. You opened yourself up to the ridicule and agression by making most of the statements you have made in the first place.

Hell, even most of your fellow Canadians have come into this thread to point out the flaws in your argument, or just to get you to concede you don't really know what you are talking about.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Lashanna
noob
posted 11-07-2004 12:33:37 PM
Chewing gum, modern chewing gum, atleast, I'm pretty sure is taken from Brazil.

I'm sure people have been chewing on stuff for the sake of chewing on it for millenia.

Robot is a very unclear distinction. I suppose Greeks might've had an elastic moving arm or something. Regardless, Greeks produced some of the greatest philosophers etc. Nobody here is trying to say Ancient Greece wasn't great. I'm just saying that Macedonia had nothing to do with Ancient Greece's greatness. And that you turned this into an America vs. Canada thread just makes this even funnier.

But your original claim that America has produced no positive change in the world is retarded, to use the word with such vulgarity. It's absurd to even think that. We haven't always positively effected things, but the entire world wouldn't be the entire world it is now without America. (And this is not to say America is the only country responsible).

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-07-2004 12:55:10 PM
quote:
Nike stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

8. Apple pie is Canadian

Uh, yeah right. It was probably invented by "proto- canadians" that lived in Europe during the middle ages.

quote:
Smarties

Unlikely

quote:
velcro,

Is Switzerland a part of Canada?
quote:
zippers,

Well, technically that guy was a Swede...

quote:
penicillin

No.
quote:
the telephone

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone and he was born in Scotland. Bell did live for a while in Canada, but was actually living in Boston, USA when he invented the telephone.

quote:

short wave radios

I didn't find anything about a canadian responsible for this...
Some of the most important persons regarding the invention of the radio are these guys: Hans Christian Ørsted, Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Heinrich Rudolf Hertz. Not one of them is canadian.

quote:
24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

WTF? Is this some kind of joke list?
Will I look like a fool for disproving some of the BS points of that list?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 12:56 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 11-07-2004 01:14:07 PM
quote:
Nike's fortune cookie read:
Elaborate.

Canada didn't even have a military at the time, let alone one that could survive fighting down the American coast and then sacking the capital. Their military, as it were, was much like the Americans during the Revolutionary War.

Admiral Cochburn of the British Royal Navy was the brains behind the invasion of America and provided General Ross, of the British Army, Naval support during his march up the coast to Washington.

There were no Canadians involved with the burning of the White House. The force that marched on Washington was made purely out of British veterans of the newly won Napoleanic Wars. They were sent specifically to break the spirit of the Americans, who had been having a good time at the war because Britain had previously been too busy fighting Napolean in Europe to send troops to America. Not one single member of the Canadian army, as it were, was used.

Unless by "Canadian" you mean they walked down the Canadian coast after landing up near York. If so, then you are correct.

P.S. America got it's revenge not two days later, when General Ross was shot in the head by some sixteen year old farm hand in the battle for the Baltimore harbor.

Snoota fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 01:14:41 PM
You Know, I could swear that Canada list has been posted before and taken apart bit by bit.

And Velcro? wasn't that a spinoff from the US space program?

UBT
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 01:46:11 PM
quote:
So quoth Tarquinn:
WTF? Is this some kind of joke list?
Will I look like a fool for disproving some of the BS points of that list?

Actually, you already proved that her list was some email sent out by Molson. The link you haved titled Unlikely clearly shows that it was sent out to piss off Americans and that it can be proven wrong.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-07-2004 02:00:02 PM
I never did understand why Canadians show the most nationalism. I mean, I'm Canadian and I'm proud of my country and all, but I don't delude reality to the point where I feel America's the great evil of the world or anything. As much as I don't agree with some of the foreign policies I understand that if America were gone, our asses would be gone too (assuming we don't buy nukes real quick like.)

And for fuck sakes, posting a shitty, disproven e-mail forward that teaches you why you should be proud to be a Canadian (Due to some inventions, such as, CANDY YOU RETARD WHY IS THAT THERE AT ALL) is extremely, well, insane? I'm not sure really, but it's pretty dumb.

In conclusion, I must reiterate one time: Please don't pass of stupid shit that you find in your e-mail as definitive proof, and the sole reason to be proud of our Nation, because at the moment there's no real way you can compare the achievements of the two countries (America - Canada) as we're both quite different, and I mean, really, What the Fuck is the point in doing it? It's not like you'll convince an American or anyone else really that our country is that much better.

ffs

UBT
Pancake
posted 11-07-2004 03:24:56 PM
Quoted from that website is the junk mail many have probably received before....
quote:
Why Canada is superior to United states

Smarties
Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp
The size of our footballs fields and one less down
Baseball is Canadian
Lacrosse is Canadian
Hockey is Canadian
Basketball is Canadian
Apple pie is Canadian
Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass
Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass
In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..
Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.
We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.
The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.
We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.
The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.
The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.
We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.
We don't marry our kin-folk.
We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.
We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.
A Canadian invented Superman.
The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on.
Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

1. Smarties were invented in England.
2. It appears that this coffee crips thing is a canadian treat invented by Nestle.
3. No one cares.
4. Baseball was invented in America in 1845. England also had a game similar to it called Rounders in the 1600's.
5.The sport of lacrosse has been played by the Mohawk people for several hundred years, even before the 1500's.
6. Was invented in Nova Scotia, Canada.
7. Basketball was invented by James Naismith in Canada in 1891.
8. No one knows who invented Apple Pie. It could have been the Egytians or the Romans or the Greeks.
9. Stated before, Americans don't know who he is. Mr Rogers served his country during Vietnam, so never ever dis the man. Hw was an American Hero as well as helping kids grow up and learn.
10. Once again, never heard of it. Obviously Dunkin Donuts is better since even you have heard of it.
11. No one cares. Just because you win a battle doesn't mean you win the war.
12. Your French population is protected by America. If Germany had taken over Canada, I'm sure the French population would have surrendered just the same.
13. Again, your English population is protected by America. So they've never had the chance to actually defend themselves or their country.
14. Your civil war was obviously a joke. Ours was fought for reasons that some people doen't even today understand. Just because you civil war was smaller doesn't make it better. Civil war sucks period.
15. Obviously showing racism here against the Americans. America didn't care about your "civil war" because it just doesn't matter. You (Canada) probably arrested an American because they were racist.
16. Scotland knew plaid waaaaaaaayyyy before Canada did, so you can just stop that stupid shit right now.
17. .......so what. Doesn it own that much now? Didn't think so.
18. You mean you grow man eating dogs up there? I'm sure the average school of piranha can do about the same thing, and they are smaller and meaner. The average pool of acid can probably beat the average dog sled team so......
19. Only because the Indians taught you......
20. I'm sure you say you don't, but I think deep down we all know the truth....
21. Swede's invented the zipper and velcro was invented by the Swiss. We've already seen about the telephone, the short wave radio and penicillin, The invention of both major types of PWC is usually credited to Clayton Jacobsen II of Arizona.
22. That just means that you are stupid. The average American knows better.
23. While yes, Joseph Shuster (one half of the creater of Superman) was born in Canada, he moved to Cleveland, Ohio when he was 10. In 1934 together with American (born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio) Jerry Seigel they created Superman, in America, not Canada.
24. This is clearly the advertisement for Molson beer.

So while some of these might actually have been invented in Canada, alot were either invented IN America by Americans or people who also had American Citizenship or were just invented by others along damn time ago.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 11-07-2004 03:31:21 PM
You know who Nike reminds me of when she fulminates like this?

A non-funny version of the dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Maybe we should start calling her 'Gus'.

And for what it's worth, while it's nice to have pride in your ethnic background, you're essentially making a big deal out of an accident of genetics. Unless you subscribe to the belief of some Hindus that the souls of those being reincarnated can choose who they will be born to.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-07-2004 04:04:12 PM
quote:
Callalron had this to say about the Spice Girls:

Azakias
posted 11-07-2004 04:07:08 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mr. Parcelan wrote:

But not Gus the Warchief.

Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 11-07-2004 04:11:09 PM
Wrong account.

Dymus Arindelil fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 04:11 PM.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Maradon!
posted 11-07-2004 04:23:41 PM
quote:
5. You have the largest population never surrendurring or withdrawing for the main reason that the US is protecting your ass. I get the feeling that if the US were gone, Canada would soon follow. Always, this is my opinion, which may or may not be backed up with sources.

Fast facts:

Canada has the smallest military budget of any civilized nation in the entire world. Canada is afforded the luxury of having almost no military at all why? Because of Big Brother America. They have a sparkling military history in the same sense that the Swiss do.

Canada's lauded socialized healthcare system, billions in debt as it is, would not exist if it weren't for America for two reasons.

1) The lack of any military spending allows them such an expensive system.

2) Canadian drugs are so cheap because they're leeched from Drug Companies headquartered in the US. Since these companies are forced by the canadian government to sell either below cost or with an insignifigant fraction of profit, drug companies must raise prices on US residents in order to fund research and development and to recuperate distribution costs. Almost no drugs have been invented in Canada since their socialized healthcare was implimented.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-07-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 11-07-2004 05:38:49 PM
Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek...
Kimono, kimono, kimono. Ah! Kimono is come from the Greek word kimona, which is mean winter. What do you wear in the winter? A robe! So, there you go!
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 11-08-2004 01:44:59 AM
It's threads like these that make me glad I've lurked for so long, and know when to not get involved in such things.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-08-2004 02:10:05 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
[/qb]

They have a sparkling military history in the same sense that the Swiss do.

Swiss pikemen kicked all sorts of ass in the middle ages though. So at least they have that.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 11-08-2004 05:21:18 AM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit said this about your mom:
It's threads like these that make me glad I've lurked for so long, and know when to not get involved in such things.

Who are you?

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 06:59:52 AM
Well she lasted a few days before completely making herself look horrible.

Calling Bloodsage 'uneducated' is just a horrid misconception. The man is one of the, if not the, most educated people on this board. Him and Call are not to be questioned on shit unless its computers

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 11-08-2004 10:54:17 AM
quote:
Alek was naked while typing this:
Who are you?

Call me Caid. Caid Berrit.

no I'm not someones alt, this is my only account.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-08-2004 12:50:10 PM
Nike, I would love to hear you address the issue of how Greece stole a lot of it's ideas from other countries of the era, and have you validate why that is okay, but other countries building on Greece's accomplishments is bad.

Hell I'd like to see you respond to any of the points I made, but that would be attention whoring on my part, so I'll settle for the above.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 11-08-2004 02:56:31 PM
quote:
Callalron was listening to Cher while typing:
You know who Nike reminds me of when she fulminates like this?

A non-funny version of the dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Give me a word....any word...and I will show how the root of that word....is Greek.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Leopold
Porn maniac
posted 11-08-2004 03:18:25 PM
I remember when Redmage posted that same list of inventions. You were right, Peter, I was the one who picked it over.

On-topic, yeah, this is kinda...dumb, as far as arguments go. Or at least fairly pointless.

"Leopold said it best. This is one of the few times someone besides me is right." -Mr. Parcelan
Addy
posted 11-08-2004 03:23:04 PM
Peter
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 06:00:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
[/qb]
Canada has the smallest military budget of any civilized nation in the entire world. Canada is afforded the luxury of having almost no military at all why? Because of Big Brother America. They have a sparkling military history in the same sense that the Swiss do.

Maybe I am Wrong, but I could have sworn The Canucks were down and dirty with USe in WW2? I mean what your trying to say is they have never had a strong miltary, but I think that is more recent events there, Since the US Became the Superpower it is.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: