EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why the name, bub?
Ares
posted 07-13-2004 03:30:03 PM
So, why did you choose the name you use on here? Part of your real name? From a song? Game? What?

Ares > I choose Ares because the other names I wanted I thought were taken up. (really, it was just me signing up wrong. ) I chose Ares because it's the title of a Gackt song AND I was born under the sign of Aries.

So, what about you guys?

Aaron (the good one)
posted 07-13-2004 03:31:10 PM
It came to me in the form of a dream
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 07-13-2004 03:31:59 PM
Well.. I started as ImNotTrent.

But then.. I gave up on the denial.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-13-2004 03:32:06 PM
My character in EQ was named Illanae. It was just a name I made up and thought it sounded "Elfie".

Most of my other characters had "Nae" in them somehow, so people started calling me Nae or NaeNae.

I decided to make it easy and just changed my name to Nae... since Illanae no longer exists.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-13-2004 03:32:17 PM
Name of my main EQ character way back.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 07-13-2004 03:32:22 PM
I got Geeorn from EQ's random name generator and have been using it since.
Darius!
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 03:34:41 PM
Because I like it.
Addy
posted 07-13-2004 03:36:13 PM
Adrecia is my EQ enchanter's name.

Addy = nickname

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 03:39:06 PM
It's my most venerable EQ character's name, and being that this was once an EQ-related site, it seemed appropriate.

If you want to know, WES are my initials, and Sentow is an anagram of "Not Wes." I sometimes use it in other games, dropping the w to remove confusion about its pronunciation.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-13-2004 03:40:13 PM
My lack of imagination.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-13-2004 03:41:02 PM
The first tuba I ever owned was a Ve Cerveny. Just modified the name slightly and got Cherveny.
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 07-13-2004 03:41:09 PM
EQ randomly generated character name.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-13-2004 03:43:03 PM
see my response in Kenn's "what makes your character your main" thread
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Peter
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 03:49:56 PM
Current one..ehh My folks thought it was a good name

Orginal name of Pyscho_Pike is a combo of the two most common nicks I used to use in games, Pyscho dateing back to my callsign in Wing Commander, and Pike i just like them sound of it, besides being a Midevil polearm and a Predatory fresh water fish.

I still do use the names, but more often than not I have been using others since Pyscho and Pike will get taken pretty quick. Usally my main/first charater will be something that begins with a p

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-13-2004 03:53:47 PM
I was playing in a UBU game (You Be You, your character is based off of yourself), 2nd ed AD&D. My character was a psion, a class that was painfully broken and unbalanced. Also, the GM had in place some rules that allowed characters to burn off levels to perform heroic/epic feats. Critical hit rules were also in place.

During one adventure, my character did something that turned out to be rather stupid, and we got into some combat with a bad guy I had just pissed off. One critical hit later, and I'm down on the ground, dying and unsaveable by anyone in the party.

So, I cashed in all my levels to pull off a massive feat with the Metamorph power. While it's supposed to be a temporrary power, on a critical failure it becomes permenant. I used it to turn my head into the egg of a small minidragon-ish creature that was on the game world, and shot for a critical failure. And got it.

Several weeks later, the egg hatched and the little flying lizard emerged. While it still had my personality (mostly), it was missing most of its memories, and quickly became tired of people thinking it was just another version of my former character. So, it needed a name.

It named itself Palador, after the party's Paladin (the first male it saw when it hatched, aka: Dad), and after the myth of Pallas Athena (who sprung full formed from Zeus's head).

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-13-2004 03:55:58 PM
Hireko brought me here for a D&D game (the origins of my schtick). I was playing a pickpocket with a flare for the dramatic, named Murdoc. People kept calling me `Doc even after I took the name Ford Prefect here, and I continued to use Murdoc on IRC. When I got tired of going around as Ford, I took a poll of what name to use next, and `Doc won out by a landslide.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-13-2004 03:57:30 PM
My original screen name, before EC, was Pit_Lord, inspired by the MTG card Lord of the Pit. Made it the very first time I had to choose a screenname for myself, after getting Starcraft and discovering the wonders of multiplayer

It served me well for some years

But time passed and, while I still liked the name for sentimental value, it just struck me as a name a 14 year old would choose... which it was.

I wanted a new name, one I wouldn't ever change, my actual one that would serve me till the end of time, but I also had a soft spot for my original, nostalgia.

So I found an english->latin dictionary on the 'net, and translated Pit Lord into latin, and ended up with Vorago Erus. Which, just by looking at it, I knew was me. Vorago, it was simple, unique, and something I could associate as mine. And so it has remained.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-13-2004 03:57:55 PM
Let's see.

Originally I went under the unassuming name of Misc Moogle, because I likeupo moogles (who wouldn't? =p ) and because I was more or less a lurkupoer. Then, Kennatsu's "zzzz..." threads (those were fun) gave me the identity of an inanimate moogle plush doll, so I took the name of +Moogle_Plush_Doll+.

Then, I felt like changing my name. And I'd just read Stephen King's Dark Tower pt one - "The Gunslinger" - and I dug the knight-errant-with-bullets thing...and how cool was it that he knew hypnosis, too? So, I became a Gunslinger Moogle.

And that's thatupo. I'd have probably changed my name again by now if it weren't for that dratted "change it and lose your old colors" thingy, but meh.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-13-2004 04:03:49 PM
Read the American version of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-13-2004 04:07:44 PM
I randomly picked 4 letters and asked ec to guess what they ment. I went with the beast one. YOUR OWN TOWEL GIRL!

Then I changed my name To YOTC after I had the little chibi hello cuthy sig for 3 months.

Ryutsuke
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 04:09:51 PM
I heard this name somewhere I think it was in an anime but I can't remember.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-13-2004 04:13:36 PM
I wanted something new when I came here, as my previous persona had been Talera Ristain among my old crowd. Hence, my e-mail if any of you have seen it, or my IRC info when you see me there. But Lyinar was my druid in EQ and kind of my "main" at the time I joined up here, so I started going around as her.

Ironically she wasn't with Deth originally in RP. It sprang up from the RP here, and bled over to EQ. In EQ she was with a fellow wood elf my friend played.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 07-13-2004 04:20:00 PM
Zephyer is my name everywhere except in the world of business and legality.

Kyuukaze is the surname that my mate and I decided to share.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-13-2004 04:29:06 PM
Well, before you had you register to post I would post as Asde which was my character from EQ. Then we had to register so I went with 'Ozius', my first D&D character. Well, the first to last for a while.

Then I read the poem Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley and I so I just took the parts I liked and made Ozimander.

I get called Ozi or Ozy anyhow.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2004 04:44:15 PM
I Aerith Gainsborough.
Ares
posted 07-13-2004 04:57:50 PM
It's kindof weird how our names define who we are on here.
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 07-13-2004 05:07:40 PM
Batty is a shortening of an old character name from a MUD I played and it also rather fits my personality.
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 05:09:00 PM
EC picked mine for me, after I went through about 5 dozen names, and everybody still called me Tal.

And EC is the only place anybody calls me this. Everybody in real life calls me Twitch. (My wife didnt even know my real name for a while)

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 07-13-2004 05:09:21 PM
Gydyon was my second EQ name and the one that stuck. It is a deliberate re-spelling of Gideon from the Old Testament.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 05:21:04 PM
quote:
*Tal* probably says this to all the girls:
EC picked mine for me, after I went through about 5 dozen names, and everybody still called me Tal.

And EC is the only place anybody calls me this. Everybody in real life calls me Twitch. (My wife didnt even know my real name for a while)

Correction. My shortened nick was from Woody, over at /gu, after I made this one thread..

"Tal, what the HELL is wrong with you?"

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-13-2004 05:26:52 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Gydyon wrote:
Gydyon was my second EQ name and the one that stuck. It is a deliberate re-spelling of Gideon from the Old Testament.

Or Gideon as the old dude that never got a lawyer!

I chose mine because it's fun to say aloud.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-13-2004 05:35:26 PM
Japanese for Legend, or Legendary.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
nem-x
posted 07-13-2004 05:58:25 PM
Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 07-13-2004 06:05:33 PM
quote:
nem-x wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I'm unoriginal.

when i posted this thread a long long time ago, the only person i remembered [as to their name's origin] was nems :-D
as he told it, he was looking at an x-men poster on his wall...x-men...nem-x

when i fell in love with sandman (a series of graphic novels by neil gaiman)
there is a character named delirium...she is once, and maybe twice introduced to certain people as 'lady delirium' and it stuck

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Jargum
Doughnut
posted 07-13-2004 06:15:42 PM
Mine comes from a book called 'Tailchaser's Song'. Appearently the frogs of one area in the book have a singing frog as their god(Although it has been awhile since I read it).

Conveniently I had just decided to start a bard in EQ, thus he was named Jargum. And now Jargum is mine, MINE, though other J names are nice too.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-13-2004 06:17:12 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
My character in EQ was named Kegwen. It was just a name I made up.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-13-2004 06:24:07 PM
It's what I do, man....
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 07-13-2004 06:31:40 PM
i used to be balthasar 'till the mid '90s. Bulliten boards were dieing and this thing new thing called the internet began to have some small popularity. Eventualy, I went on an IRC channel and someone else was using Balthasar on the efnet. Not wanting to have the same nick as someone else (yeah, the net was REAL small back then comparitvely) I changed it to Diadem.

Hidden treasures from Megadeth just came out at the time, so i changed my name from the lyrics.

quote:

One man rules the world
And rides the seven-headed beast
Ten diadems, to rule them all, to crown them all
The world, religion at his feet

I'm diadem on hotmail. I'm the first diadem on icq. It was real easy to be the only diadem back then....

My character, Thesus is a take off of an ancient hero's name (I belive it was Thesueus or some such) and Thoth, the egyption diety of wisdom. I figure it would be a good name for a worthless fat dumb troll.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 07-13-2004 06:33:08 PM
Uh, it's my name. I hated it for a bit, but then I realised that I'm the only Nicole I have ever known ever that wasn't a bitch, and it's not a very popular name anyway, even though the full version sucks.

Solstyce came from EQ. If you can't guess the origins, you don't get a cookie. I was, like, 15 at the time and thought it fit the character, which everyone who matters remembers . Eisuye was another character of mine, short-lived, since everyone was just calling me "Sol" or "Nicole" anyway.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Suddar
posted 07-13-2004 06:43:37 PM
My first EQ character. Name is modified from one that I got with the random name generator in the game.

I don't use Suddar anywhere else, nor have I ever, but it's sorta my identity here. Wouldn't feel right using anything else.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: