EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why the name, bub?
Maradon!
posted 07-14-2004 03:28:10 AM
quote:
x--Jessica Rabbit v2.0O-('-'Q) :
wanted to be more individual.

Now there's something you'll never hear from a teenager

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-14-2004 03:33:18 AM
quote:
Jens obviously shouldn't have said:
It's my real name.

Sounds weird if you don't know it's the Danish equivalent of John, too.

It's rather common here too.

Well, about my name, Tarquinius was one of the more unremarkable cesars of ancient Rome. He had a cool name though and so I used it for a PnP RPG character. As it turned out this character became my most played char ever.

There are versions of him (and some of his brothers) in almost every RPG I've ever played. A little bit like Moorcocks eternal hero Elric. As I started playing EQ, Tarquinn of course made his appearance in Norrath.

And then I started using this name for almost everything I did online. If you enter Tarquinn in Google you will find me like ten times on the first three pages.

Also: Tarquinn wins the race!

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 03:34 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-14-2004 03:48:08 AM
ECP isnt one of my old EQ names, big suprise there huh

(Insert Grand Old story of ECPs name evolution)*

And thats the story

*I was playing half-life and its various mods, a lan of counter-strike if I remember correctly and it was 3 on 1, me being the one. Not only 3 on 1, but 3 of the better players in town and in the somewhat known FjP clan.

Anyway, It was the italy map in beta 5 or something, and I decided I would sit in my base and think up a new name, since Shotgun_Jockey was a terrible name and I shouldnt use a shotgun against 3 of the best players in town and definatly the 3 best in the store.

Anyway, I was a fan of fantasy and wanted a name that was Elf like. So I changed my name to Elf with a y, Elfy. Yes, an arabian glue company.

I got a message on ICQ one day asking if I was affiliated with it.

Elfy was turned into my nickname at the local cardstore/net cafe and I didnt like that.

So I changed my name to various phrases involving elves.

Like, The Drunken Elf

Or Cracked Up Elf.

And a short lived stint as "The Blinking Squirrel" A naming gift that I use to this day to give newbies memorable online FPS names. Power Hungry Pancake. The venerable cheesecake. Give me Victory or Give me a Lapdance either way Ill pay you. That kind of thing.

One day I was playing my friend dwayne against his avatar deck, and he laid down the card Elvish Piper. I was amazed, it did amazing things. I was a newbie and a card that promised free 8/8's at instant speed was like love at first sight.

I had to be edgy though, so I added in a drug reference

And thus the "Elvish Crack Piper" was born!

My nickname on a thousand chatrooms.

Famed for my humor on every site I go to except this one This bored has much funnier people than I.

My name is unique!

Thats probably what I love most about my name, no one else has it.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 07-14-2004 04:02:20 AM
EQ's random name generator strikes again.

Miolnir is a deliberate mis-spelling of Mjolnir.

Byrnie
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 04:15:43 AM
The Flying Zebra came around when I saw the MTG card Flight, 6th edition I think it was from. It had a flying zebra...low and behold, a name is born.

Byrnie is a name that my Geometry teacher called me last year to avoid confusion, having two Nicks sitting in close proximity to each other and all. Byrnes is my last name...so yeah.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-14-2004 05:16:16 AM
Might want to mention your first name in your sig
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-14-2004 05:18:26 AM
Does anyone actually read all of this?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-14-2004 05:25:29 AM
I read it all, in the hopes someone would find mine somewhat interesting.
Agent A
Underpowered on Purpose
posted 07-14-2004 11:23:49 AM
I read most of them.

My first name on here (Mad Psycho) was just something Monica made up one day when we were sitting in my office, then I changed it to Miss Amber B. Everytime I changed my name, I did it because of an musical influence I suppose. Like Miss Amber B. was my version of Miss Tairrie B. Then went to plain Amber. But that got old. Then Agent A was after Tsunami Bomb's Agent M, but I kinda stuck because I want to be an agent one day because it sounds cool.

"How do you all feel about beastiality with taxidermy? It seems like most people aren't very down with it, in fact, alot of people are only medium down with it. But if you only get to second base, where's the harm, right?"
- Melora Creager
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-14-2004 11:31:38 AM
And now changing your name makes you newb colors again ;p
Ares
posted 07-14-2004 12:42:02 PM
I read every response.. Since I did ask the question
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-14-2004 02:00:33 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought about the meaning of life:
Ironically she wasn't with Deth originally in RP. It sprang up from the RP here, and bled over to EQ. In EQ she was with a fellow wood elf my friend played.

That's right, boys and girls, Deth stole someone else's girlfriend and made an honest woman out of her

This isn't actually my first account. I had another one with a VERY old nick I used to use everywhere. Then I made this account, lost the first one's contact info (this one is about four months younger than the other or something, so it's not like I have a long lost neon green account out there or anything), and have been using it ever since.

Technically Deth's first name is Jadethissar, but that looks like ass, plus everyone initially assumes it's Jay-Deth-iss-arr in pronunciation with that spelling (it's jah-DETH), so I broke it up into Ja`Deth Issar Ka`Bael (had to use ` rather than ' because at the time the code didn't let you use ' but now I think it does), which works because now it has sort of a lyrical beat to it. (jah-DETH iss-AHR ka-BAYL)

Contrary to what some people seem to think, Ja'Deth's name has nothing to do with Death or the act of Dying. His full elven name means "Staff, the Eternal Seeker, Dragon Guardian" which was a name his father gave him (more on that in a moment). Candace (Lyinar) and I were RPing in a D&D game I played Deth in, and I just got in the habit of defaulting to this nick (my old default was Lyinar's character Talera's husband Trevor).

Deth is one of three triplets; Jania (JAY-nee-ah), Jayzon (JAY-zahn), and Ja'Deth (jah-DETH; Deth just has to be different). Originally, Jay was foretold to be some powerful arcanist, Jan more or less went her own way from childhood, and Deth the rascal was sent off to a monastery to rein in his mischevious behavior (hence the "Staff" in his name).

It didn't work out. Jay had neither the interest nor the inclination to be an arcanist, and ended up a ranger. Jania became a cleric-ranger of the Faerunian (human) goddess Mielikki, and Deth (after causing mischief within the monastic order he'd been sent to) was brought home. Deth had the inclination and the interest to be an arcanist, so he started training in earnest. Years later, Deth and Jay played a prank on Jan at a royal function, she retaliated, and all three of them got exiled back to Faerun, where they became embroiled in a larger plot that, in the end, landed Deth and Jay (along with their cronies Ah'Kiam and Vlon'uit) in Norrath.

Mostly I play Deth because Deth is a comfortable idealized version of myself if I were a fantasy character; Smart, charismatic, funny, very eccentric, handsome and slim (I did say IDEALIZED). Of course, Deth and I do have significant differences; Deth was a womanizer who got a lot of action in the past before settling down with his ideal woman, whereas I was a bit more normal in my exploits with the opposite sex. Deth's also a bit more free with his morality and ethics; he's Lawful Good (bordering on Neutral Good), but if he had to describe himself he'd say he's "Lawful Good with the personality of someone more interesting" whereas I'd probably categorize myself as Neutral Good with leanings towards Lawful Neutral.

So Deth is, in the end, like most character avatars in that he's just an idealized form of me.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-14-2004 02:01:00 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Captain Planet:
My character in EQ was named Illanae. It was just a name I made up and thought it sounded "Elfie".

Most of my other characters had "Nae" in them somehow, so people started calling me Nae or NaeNae.

I decided to make it easy and just changed my name to Nae... since Illanae no longer exists.

also keeps people from making the mistake I did early on; calling you "Ill"

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-14-2004 02:56:15 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
also keeps people from making the mistake I did early on; calling you "Ill"

Yeah, I didn't like being "Ill".

I never pronounced Illanae in a way that would make "Ill" be an accepted shortening of the name. I say it, Ih-lah-nae.

Alas, the Paladin Elf is no more.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-14-2004 03:01:07 PM
quote:
Nae needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
I never pronounced Illanae in a way that would make "Ill" be an accepted shortening of the name. I say it, Ih-lah-nae.
From way back when ECers were recording voice clips, I remember you pronouncing it ih-LAH-nae. So that would make you... La.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-14-2004 03:08:56 PM
La La La La

Let me add to this..

My EQ characters were Illanae, Naelli, Insannae, Naeziilla, Darlinae, Danae, and my only one without "nae" in her name was Illilliae. We called her Barcode.

So it was just easier for people to call me Nae, since that would work for most of my characters.

Nae fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 03:14 PM.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 07-14-2004 03:16:26 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:
I know nothing about either Maradona or international soccer.

You are a horrible person and must be "fixed".

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 07-14-2004 03:38:12 PM
Hrmm..
Timpofee.. This name was kinda given to me by an ex girlfriend of mine when i was in highschool.. Timpofee was her cute way of saying Timothy when she was.. well.. ya know.. anyway it kinda just stuck a little bit in high school.. Fast forward a few years and im seeing this girl named Michelle. She asked me if i had ever had any pet names and i said "well yeah <enter a few here> and Timpofee". She loved the name and started coo'ing it when she was.. well.. yeah.. anyway. It was just a name i stuck on here.. people ive known for years call me Timpo now... kinda funky.

Ive had.. hrmm.. only 2 actual "chat" names.. Timpofee and Tim the person <that was a LONG time ago also >

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-15-2004 12:44:52 AM
Made up RP name.. before EQ

(edit: grrrmuffins! KaL stayed logged into my computer.. *sigh* its Synjari speaking btw)

KaLourin fucked around with this message on 07-15-2004 at 12:45 AM.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 07-15-2004 06:14:49 AM
It's an anagram of my name.
Maradon!
posted 07-15-2004 06:19:13 AM
quote:
x--Rabin CrabminkO-('-'Q) :

Your name is Nirba Knibcarm?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-15-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 07-15-2004 06:27:50 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Your name is Nirba Knibcarm?

That would be a palindrome.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-15-2004 07:43:37 AM
quote:
Gadani said this about your mom:

No, Rabin Crabmink Knimbarc Nibar would be a palindrome.

Palindromes are words, or phrases, that are spelled exactly the same backwards as they are forwards.

Otto is a palindrome! Otto is a palindrome!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 07-15-2004 07:43:49 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Gadani wrote:

Palindrome is the same backwards as is forwards.

"Racecar"

Also applies to numbers.

And now you know.

Edit: Dens, roll 1d20 +3 to see if I shoot you in the face...

Kael fucked around with this message on 07-15-2004 at 07:45 AM.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 07-15-2004 08:03:41 AM
and knowing is half the battle!
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Maradon!
posted 07-15-2004 08:24:45 AM
quote:
x--Rabin CrabminkO-('-'Q) :

Barni Barkminc?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-15-2004 11:58:02 AM
Courtesy of the random name generator on EQ. I think I might have changed a letter or two.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-15-2004 01:42:10 PM
The Sakkra are a race of lizardpeople in Master of Orion. I stole that name when making my EQ character. I want a donut.
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 07-15-2004 03:24:29 PM
EQ name generator gave me Brahmin... which had to be kept because of my devout loyalness to the Fallout Series... I couldn't have gotten luckier than that.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: