EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why the name, bub?
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-13-2004 06:44:34 PM
Mightion was a name I first used in Ultima V on my C64 because "Courageous" from my Ultima 4 character wouldn't fit.

It was also the first name I got through the name filter when making my EQ paladin.

Defensor? He is the combined form of the Protectobots; and my favorite Transformers toy. He stands on the shelf of my desk, silently pleading with me to get him some pre-cut reproduction stickers... hell, I may just do that right now. They were only 13 bucks...

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 07-13-2004 06:50:12 PM
Back when The Sims came out, I hung out in the Maxis chatroom for the game alot. Like, unhealthy alot (yea I'm a geek like that - I even made a fan website for game). Due to the website, the name I normally used in the chat, loco830, was quickly recognized as one of the "ask him your stupid question" names. So, when I wanted to login to the chat to just chat with the friends I had made, and not answer silly questions, I used the name espio_a_tu ("I'm watching you") to avoid having to talk in the main chat. Fast forward to me starting EQ, and trying to think up a name for my bard. Lacking anything resembling creativity, I decided to just shorten my secondary chat name, since watching/observing fit in with being a bard... and so Espio was born.

Shortly after starting eq, I started coming here, and joined as loco830. A few months later, I decided to make Espio my main. The username 'loco830' just sounded dumb to have, since almost everyone here used a character name... so I made the Espio account... this was before you could rename yourself. Later, I added my EQ surname (short for Idiot Savant) to my username.

And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 07-13-2004 06:55:20 PM
Main on EQ heh...

that was easy..

Ares
posted 07-13-2004 06:58:43 PM
quote:
Trillee got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Main on EQ heh...

that was easy..

What about your 20 other names?

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 07-13-2004 07:27:03 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about dark elf butts:
What about your 20 other names?

I accually did a head count... and yeah.. it's now about 20. And I only use one name in the chat at a time, and that's Drysart's fault! *snickers*

And they will never have accounts for the forums.. Only have one alt, and she was only made because I had loggin problems a long time ago, and only used her like once back when the flame boards existed. ;P

Nothing wrong with haveing many charicters. And It's like when other's change thier names in the chat for DND games. (see, there is a reason! Not just "Oh I feel like being... today!" ;P)

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-13-2004 07:30:18 PM
I made a Iksar Monk named after my vague memories of something on an EQ map. Well, I thought that would distort it enough it'd be acceptable. However, somehow it didn't, and I ended up with an Iksar named "Trakanon"

One day a guide noticed this, and asked what I wanted my name changed to. So I grabbed Small Gods, which was infront of me, and flipped till I found a name. Hence Vorbis.

Just've been using that ever since.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 07-13-2004 07:52:19 PM
I used to draw a lot more often when I was younger. I created a hero who for lack of imagination, I called Dragon Knight after the 'class' he was. Later, I learned about the Dragon Knight hentai game/anime series. I had to think of something better.

Wanted something that I thought sounded sort of elven and came up with Azerax. That was okay but I didn't think it sounded heroic enough. So I changed it to Azymyth.

Ever since I started going online, I've always used Azymyth for email, chat, gaming.

Rhiannah is an alteration of the name Rhiannon, which I got from a book of baby names.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-13-2004 08:29:56 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee probably says this to all the girls:
I got Geeorn Falaanla from EQ's random name generator and have been using it since.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-13-2004 08:42:42 PM

Decided to go for a short, easy to remember name after the fiasco of accidentally naming myself after the monkey in captain planet

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2004 08:48:29 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Led wrote:
[xIMG]http://www.clarkson.edu/~dellesfy/sepcore_pics/led.jpg[/IMG]

That's a really neat picture! Where's it from?

Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-13-2004 08:53:28 PM
Old game called Septerra Core
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-13-2004 08:57:50 PM
quote:
Led's fortune cookie read:
Old game called Septerra Core

A little story about that game and I.

I heard it was the most awesome game, and it looked like I'd likeupo it. So...did I save up my money really hard to get it? No! Instead I submitted an essay to good old RPGamers.com and won it from them. That's how leet I am.

And I played it for a while, and got really interested in it. The world was awesome, the plot was going somewhere, and I dug everything (something about the phrase "So that's why he wanted the Shell Five nations out of the picture!" is really awesome).

And then I come to a part where I just can't go on, there appears to be no way to progress...in the middle of some corridor and it doesn't seem to lead anywhere, neither does anywhere else. And neither GameFAQs nor any other power on this Earth could help me

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 07-13-2004 09:03:40 PM
My first EverQuest character was an Ogre Warrior named Noktuk. I read that Ogres lived in a cave type city, so I came up with something I though was suitably cavemanish.

My second character was a Barbarian Shaman named Tajdin (bonus points if you can guess the influence for that name).

I finally decided that I liked being a Shaman, but I knew deep down that the sexiest Shaman in the land were ogres. So I took Noktuk, chopped off the N and replaced it with the T in Tajdin. Yay, Toktuk.

When I first came here, though, I was playing Baldur's Gate II a lot, where I was a Half Orc Barbarian. So my account name is actually Toktuk the Barbarian. I lopped the second half off the day Drysart announced named changes.

-Tok

Goma
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 09:16:03 PM
Goma, short for my registered name Gomateux, which is an altered form of Gomaten.

Gomaten was a name I made up quite literally off the top of my head. I took a few minutes one day, played with some vowels and consanants.. I actually originally used it to name someone else during an RP on this old chat I used to go on. Guy lost his memory, had no name, so I named him Gomaten. Rather random, actually.

Much time later when I dumped the chatroom and finally got a good computer that could play REAL games I came to realize I needed a name. I remembered Gomaten, figured it was pretty unique, so I used it.

Now, for the story of Gomateux:

So, I started to play Half-Life. Alot. I became very skilled at Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat. Made lots of friends, got involved in very popular eastern american leagues. My brother was very skilled as well, much better than myself. We both hung out in the same crowd, mostly people from montreal and whatnot. One of the coolest guys was named "Blade". Very witty, very skilled. There was another clan we used to associate with, CSST (counter strike's sexiest clan). They had a schtick going where they would add "euh" to the end of their names. I'm not sure why, but they did.

Blade decided to make fun of them, in a french way, by adding his own suffix. That suffix was "eux". Sounds just like "euh", but looks more.. french. And you know how it was back then, l33t was everything, so anyone who he thought was l33t was added into his little "eux" tribe.

I was one such person. Gomaten turned into Gomateux. Blade was now Bladeux (often times bla2. If you say that in french it sounds like bladeux).

Time passes, you ditch clans all together and decide to go lone wolf, kicking everyone's asses on pubs. For every game after that I've been using Gomateux.

But after even LONGER now that I haven't associated with those people, nor played CS or DoD avidly I realized Gomateux no longer means anything, all it does is confuse the FUCK out of ANYONE who doesnt know a lick of french. I said to myself "Fuck it, everyone calls me Goma anyhow, so I'll make it permanent!"

And, lo, here is Goma.

I bet no one read this.

Edit: I later discovered that Gomaten is an asian dish of sorts. Looks kinda like the lasagna you see on Garfield. I wanna try it someday. Name isn't so unique afterall.

Goma fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 09:18 PM.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-13-2004 09:20:22 PM
Gomaten sounds like it could be a DBZ character's name =p

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Goma
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 09:35:49 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle had this to say about pies:
Gomaten sounds like it could be a DBZ character's name =p

Yeah it does, doesn't it? I used to be a little DBZ freak back then. Perhaps there was some subconscious influence that had me create the name so it sounded like that..

The chat room was pretty focused around that type of role play. A bunch of stupid kids roleplaying as super powerful beings with signature moves, having text fights where the fastest, most strategic typer wins. Where guys meet girls one day, and their married and with kids the next. That kind of bullshit.

It was hella fun then, but it feels pretty dumb now. I still associate with some of those people, they're some of my best online friends now. But on a more mature scale, obviously.

Yeah.. Even though it was dumb, I do kinda miss those days.

-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 07-13-2004 09:58:36 PM
My first real main in EQ was a druid so I tried to think of a witty name that would have a funny connection. Thus was born Yuri Gagarin, which happened to be the name of Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space. It wasn't until much later that I learned it meant lesbian or some shit in japaneese.

Edit: The name I use for everywhere else is Auruspex, which, in hebrew, is roughly translated to Angel of Death. I was like 10 when I started to use it so sue me

I use Helba for DAoC which is from .hack//sign.. the hacker character in it.

-Yuri- fucked around with this message on 07-13-2004 at 09:59 PM.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 07-13-2004 10:20:28 PM
Thousands of years ago, I started playing EverQuest and needed a name for my Ranger. The first person of our group named his character "Talendor". The friend that got me into the game named his character "Alendor". So to keep up with this "-lendor" suffix, for the prefix, I rolled dice and came up with "Tor-". Torlendor. The surname "Wolfwood" is something my girlfriend came up with when she found out that Rangers can use wolf form, and since I was a wood elf.

Kael is short for Kaelen. Something I got from part FFXI random name generator and dice rolls. I use Kael or Kaelen in parts of other handles, like the handle I made at the last LAN party "Dirty Kaelen". Since I play dirty at SSBM, SC2, JA, and UT2k4. Or I'm just a fan of Dirty Harry. *shrug*

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-13-2004 10:45:14 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about Cuba:

Decided to go for a short, easy to remember name after the fiasco of accidentally naming myself after the monkey in captain planet

I weap for my lost CDs. That game kicked so much ass and it's one of the few games that I'm pissed I never got the chance to finish.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Razor
posted 07-13-2004 10:49:35 PM
oook. I actually have two names on here... one I sorta messed up on the reg info... so never got used. Xaerorazor was the name. so it got shortened to Razor.

Origins: Lan party right after Q3 Arena came out, and I well had a K/D ratio of 25-1, dubbed Xaero. The razor part actually goes back to my first e-mail account on Juno... back when it was free dial-up e-mail. liferazor. I got the Razor part from favorite cartoon at time... SWAT KATS. the rest is well history...

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 07-13-2004 11:44:09 PM
Before coming here I used 'Averice', a name I used for a theif on an old UO shard(yep, I spelt it wrong when I made the character). Used it here for a bit while I lurked, got '5 Fists' from an old Jacky Chan kung-fu movie. Then I based a character around it, coming up with Caid '5 Fists' Berrit.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Willias
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 12:00:08 AM
I just got EQ and was trying to figure out a name for my first character, he was going to be a human warrior and I wanted a knight-ish name. I wanted my first character to be a representation of myself in the game world, so I tried to use my own name to make a name for my character. I goofed around with some ideas for a while and finally hit Willias. Sounded knighty, and it was only a one letter change from my RL name, William. Sounded good, so I tried it, and it worked. I became Willias, the human warrior on Saryrn.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 12:00:51 AM
It means absolutely nothing. I just stuck together two incongruous words. I guess I never really planned on hanging around here for this long, otherwise I probably would have put more thought into it... But, nonetheless, it gives me a tangential reason to use a cool vampire sigpic.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 07-14-2004 12:31:43 AM
This girl was going on a tirade about me once in this game I used to play(an old text game called Dragonrealms), and meant to say I was being "snooty", but tossed an a in there in her typing fervor to make it snootay and it was attatched to me in the form of a loving nick name.

It got shortened to Snoota around here and the main EQ boards(before they were shut down) because I'm an idiot. And lazy. I lost my password to my account at the EQ boards and didn't have access to the email address it was under, so I made a new account. Instead of going through the trouble of making a new name, I just dropped the Y. When Lyinar made me come here from the EQ boards, I signed up without the Y to avoid confusion due to my EQ celebrity status I enjoyed as the biggest asshole on the main EQ boards.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 12:38:21 AM
For the Blazin Asian, I was at Tegadils house working on a physics project, a self propelled coffee can. I had finished the thing, it was moving pretty fast, so I painted flames on it, and his brother decided on calling it the blazin asian.

For crtlaltdel, I lost a bet. I actually grew fond of using it so I went with AltF4 also.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 07-14-2004 12:51:16 AM
I really don't know how I came up with Rodent King, I was a fan of the Rat King from the TMNT a while back. I figured that Rats didn't cover the rest of the things out there, so 'Rodent King' worked better.

My EQ main's (And all my other games for that matter) has always been Alludar. I got the idea from my own name (Alan, my friends call me Al) and the spanish word 'to help': Ayudar. It seemed to click, I wanted to help people on EQ and still be called Al.

(As for the sigpic theme, I found a picture of what I think was a wombat, not sure really, just took that as a sigpic at first, before someone photoshopped it into .)

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-14-2004 01:16:11 AM
quote:
From the book of Random Insanity Generator, chapter 3, verse 16:
I weap for my lost CDs. That game kicked so much ass and it's one of the few games that I'm pissed I never got the chance to finish.

I still have my CDs

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-14-2004 01:24:54 AM
It's my real name.

Sounds weird if you don't know it's the Danish equivalent of John, too.

hey
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 07-14-2004 02:11:22 AM
Well, I've posted the story before, but I guess I could tell it again.

Way, way back when I was 9 years old, and we'd just gotten dial-up Internet service (28K! WOO!), I played Diablo a lot and was a big fan of the game. The day we got 'Net access, I started playing online as my favourite class, the Warrior. (I always play the Warrior-type in RPGs, or hell, any game for that matter. I dunno why, but any other archetype seems boring to me.)

Now, things were going well and good, the 'net connection worked fine, and I got to the New Multiplayer Hero creation screen. Without thinking, I went for Warrior. It was instinct at that point, and still is. Then, for some reason, I wasn't expecting this: "Create a Name: _________________" In single player, I had always named my character something random, like "Death Machine 87", complete with spaces. I think it sounded almost like a Terminator-style robot name, I can't remember. However, I thought (wrongly) that a name like that wouldn't suffice on battle.net. I needed an actual, fantasy-setting name.

Suddenly, I got an image of my Warrior in my brain: The skilled, Elven swordsman, clad in magic chainmail, cleaving his way through Hell's minions with a nodachi. Hey, Elves were cool, and I'd be maxing Dexterity first off, and Elves tend to be dexterous and agile. So, the whole Elf schtick stuck. Now, he needed a name.

The name needed to sound Elf-like, soft and flowing, but at the same time needed to have a kind of strength to it. After all, you can't have a mighty warrior running around with a name like "Daisy", can you? I played with letters a bit, and came out with Ruvyen.

My first character in EQ? Warrior, Half-Elf (the first of a few changes). Ruvyen was the fifth name to come up on the generator, and I thought, "Holy shit! Why the hell didn't I think to use it before?" Thus, Ruvyen, the Half-Elven Warrior. I mention this, because I doubt the name would've stuck had I not used it in EQ.

Over the years, I've developed the character, and the only two similarities between Ruvyen now and the Ruvyen of old (olde?) are the name and the profession. And even then, the profession's iffy: It's changed from wandering swordsman to mercenary. Still a warrior, though.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 07-14-2004 02:24:28 AM
Vinven, it has been a name I've used for quite awhile in many games, originally coming from the random name generator in EQ, for a dark elf rogue.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 07-14-2004 02:31:24 AM
First D&D character was called Alek Saege. He was too cool for words. That said, we will say no more.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 07-14-2004 02:45:31 AM
Well, after my rather...rough...entrance here, I was trying to get rid of the bad connotations associated with my first handle name and start fresh, and as I was surfing around the net, found this site. After reading the descriptions of the various archangels, I came to Azrael. After reading that he governed over the book of life, writing in names of new people, scratching out the old, he sounded impressively fates-ish. Plus, there was some mythos of being "the last to die" in the apocalypse that I thought could easily be manipulated for various story purposes. Reading a bit more on other sites, he was first a man named Azra who protected the persectuted and soothed the suffering, and thought, "Bingo, paladin!" Had used Azrael several times earlier, once even for a paladin in D&D, but now it truly stuck.

Heavenblade got added later as I found it a very noble, paladinish kinda surname, and that has thus been my name for over two years now.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Maradon!
posted 07-14-2004 03:02:20 AM
My EQ necromancer was Maradon. It was just a name I made up.

Contrary to the beliefs of CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS it's inception had nothing to do with maranara sauce. Rather, I was struggling for a name, hit the random name generator, erased everything but the first letter and typed in "aradon". So now my name is aradon. NO! my name is Maradon.

Later, I found out that "Maradona" was a popular argentinian soccer player, and also a small town in one of the wheel of time books. This is largely the reason that I hate argintinians, and the wheel of time books, despite having never read them. And also because I saw an interview with Bob Jordan once and he was an old, fat, bona-fide-purple-john-lennon-glasses-wearing hippy.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 07-14-2004 03:06:05 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

Contrary to the beliefs of CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS it's inception had nothing to do with maranara sauce. Rather, I was struggling for a name, hit the random name generator, erased everything but the first letter and typed in "aradon". So now my name is aradon. NO! my name is Maradon.

Later, I found out that "Maradona" was a popular argentinian soccer player, and also a small town in one of the wheel of time books. This is largely the reason that I hate argintinians, and the wheel of time books, despite having never read them. And also because I saw an interview with Bob Jordan once and he was an old, fat, bona-fide-purple-john-lennon-glasses-wearing hippy.

That's what you get for not watching soccer. But seriously, you've never heard of Maradona's Hand of God goal?

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Maradon!
posted 07-14-2004 03:11:26 AM
quote:
x--AlekO-('-'Q) :
That's what you get for not watching soccer. But seriously, you've never heard of Maradona's Hand of God goal?

I know nothing about either Maradona or international soccer.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 07-14-2004 03:12:18 AM
I blatantly fucking stole Alidane.

I blatantly fucking stole my old name, Justaris, as well.

In fact, I've pretty much ripped off every name I've ever had. I'm kind of a bad person that way.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 07-14-2004 03:14:04 AM
quote:
*Tal* said this about your mom:
Correction. My shortened nick was from Woody, over at /gu, after I made this one thread..

"Tal, what the HELL is wrong with you?"

Was that when you posted the link to the never ending pop-ups of gay porn?

Got mine from Sluggy. Mildly wish I could change it without the name resetting, since I'm not really the hyper happy person I was when I arrived here.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 03:17:11 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:

I fuckin remember the phone conversation you lying sack of cow-shit. Tellin you man, Maranara Sauce and the Don of a cartel, you wanted to be a saucy mafioso, and you got it. Stop living in denial.

As for my particular handle, I mudded for 7 years, finally quit last year (I'm sad ), I used 2 major roleplaying names there, and decided I was going to go against the grain and not use my roleplaying name as my internet handle, so I took my initials, CB (Christopher Bailly), and Tao, since a few years previous I had the classic teen questioning of faith, read the bible, read on every different theological backround I could find, and nothing satisified my view of existance, met my sifu/stepfather who introduced me to Taoism, and taught me first hand through martial arts, and decided that would be my handle. A balanced me.

I prounounce it incorrectly since its a name tho.

See-Bee-Tow as in towne.

CBTao fucked around with this message on 07-14-2004 at 03:18 AM.

Maradon!
posted 07-14-2004 03:25:51 AM
quote:
CBTaoing:
I fuckin remember the phone conversation you lying sack of cow-shit. Tellin you man, Maranara Sauce and the Don of a cartel, you wanted to be a saucy mafioso, and you got it. Stop living in denial.

1) I remember no such conversation

2) If I said it, I must have been joking, or maybe the line was bad. It just ain't the case.

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 07-14-2004 03:26:10 AM
I wanted to get away from my previous names which tied me to other ppl, wanted to be more individual.

Terran (you know her) calls me bunny, its a nick that kinna stuck among a couple ppl and myself. I was signing post sparatically with ~bunny and when I posted a thread on what I should rename myself this was the best.

Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: