EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Gay marriage: its effects?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-30-2004 10:50:07 PM
Okay, does anyone know about all the ramifications gay marriage can have? I'm talking economically, legally, and the like. My mom mentioned some stuff but I don't know how accurate or complete her information is. According to her, it could have a major economic and legal effect on things. Like pastors could be sued if they refuse to do marriages for gays. If anyone has information, please do share, I'm curious about this.

Maho fucked around with this message on 05-30-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Sean
posted 05-30-2004 10:53:10 PM
Chopper Dave, we have 'Uh oh', over.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

nem-x
posted 05-30-2004 10:54:42 PM
Attention on deck: Uh oh, Uh oh
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-30-2004 10:59:19 PM
Ok, so far nothing useful. Thank you folks for providing absolutely no useful information.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Razor
posted 05-30-2004 11:07:20 PM
A: A church, and/or pastor has the right to DENY any marriage, they are a private orginization.

B: Having gone to a lesbian wedding, as seeing they are friends of mine, and we in the church accept their marriage as in full although the satate does not. <I video taped the wedding>

C: The key to the wedding is whether or not the pasator/minister says <remembering from another wedding> "as under the provisions of the great State of ..." that carries wheter or not it's a "Legal" Marriage by the state, or wheter it's not really a marriage by the state.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-30-2004 11:11:23 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Razor was all like:
A: A church, and/or pastor has the right to DENY any marriage, they are a private orginization.

B: Having gone to a lesbian wedding, as seeing they are friends of mine, and we in the church accept their marriage as in full although the satate does not. <I video taped the wedding>

C: The key to the wedding is whether or not the pasator/minister says <remembering from another wedding> "as under the provisions of the great State of ..." that carries wheter or not it's a "Legal" Marriage by the state, or wheter it's not really a marriage by the state.

That's pretty much what I figured. It didn't make much sense to me that a pastor could be sued, but she was saying something about them demanding all the rights that heterosexuals get which would apparently include the right to be married in a church. I think she's wrong on that. Anyone got info that says otherwise?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-30-2004 11:18:23 PM
If you give them homos an inch, they'll take a mile and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 05-30-2004 11:22:19 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mr. Parcelan wrote:

Now, I'm known to be a size-queen, but a mile's a bit much for me!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-30-2004 11:25:35 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

You folks aren't providing much in the way of information. Whild I do tend to agree with Parce on this, it's not the issue at hand. I want info, like numbers and shit of what the effect could be. Back up your statements whenever possible.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 05-30-2004 11:29:47 PM
lol fags r ghey
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Jargum
Doughnut
posted 05-30-2004 11:31:09 PM
quote:
This one time, at Vallo camp:
lol fags r ghey

hahha u qeer u suk da cok

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-30-2004 11:45:05 PM
Since the church is a private organization, they may deny anything to anyone as long as they want. Besides, who would want to force a member of the clergy to marry them via legal action? That seems to defeat the purpose. Your mom seems to think that gay people want to marry each other just to piss straight people off in every way they can. You'd do well to tell her that they simply want equal treatment under the law and could, in the great majority of cases, give a sweet shit about what the clergy think of them.

As for statistics, you're just going to have to wait. Any numbers you find are going to be pure speculation. Predictions range from total economic collapse to the strongest economy ever. Time will tell.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-31-2004 12:00:23 AM
quote:
Maho had this to say about dark elf butts:
That's pretty much what I figured. It didn't make much sense to me that a pastor could be sued, but she was saying something about them demanding all the rights that heterosexuals get which would apparently include the right to be married in a church. I think she's wrong on that. Anyone got info that says otherwise?

Your mom is misinformed. There is no right to be married in church. That's why local governments can do it.

Edit: further, there was no mention of God whatsoever in my wedding ceremony, and it's every bit as legal as one performed in a church.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 12:02 AM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 12:02:34 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Your mom is misinformed. There is no right to be married in church. That's why local governments can do it.

Once again what I thought. I wonder about her ideas frequently but I do know that she's often better informed than I am. I could also be misunderstanding her completely.

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 01:44:19 AM
If your mom has a legitamite reason against gay marriage, please post it. I believe the board has yet to see one.

And as it has been mentioned, a church can deny anyone a marriage, whether they are gay or straight. Example: my mother got a divorce and she never got it annulled. The catholic church will not perform a marriage ceremony for her because of it. Technically, she isn't even supposed to recieve communion, but she does anyhow.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 01:56:04 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Zair said this:
If your mom has a legitamite reason against gay marriage, please post it. I believe the board has yet to see one.

And as it has been mentioned, a church can deny anyone a marriage, whether they are gay or straight. Example: my mother got a divorce and she never got it annulled. The catholic church will not perform a marriage ceremony for her because of it. Technically, she isn't even supposed to recieve communion, but she does anyhow.

She does have a legitimate reason: like me, she is a Christian and does not approve of homosexuality in general. I'm just a bit more open-minded than her.

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 01:56:53 AM
All the negative ramifications of gay marriage that I've heard of so far are easily identified as complete bullshit, easily traceable back to intense homophobia.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 01:57 AM.

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 01:58:41 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Maho booooze lime pole over bench lick:
She does have a legitimate reason: like me, she is a Christian and does not approve of homosexuality in general. I'm just a bit more open-minded than her.

Why is that a reason to oppose gay marriage? Are you seeking to oppose any improvement in the lives of gays simply because they disagree with you?

Wouldn't opposing gay marriage simply because you dislike gays on a moral level be kinda forcing your opinion on others?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 01:59 AM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:01:24 AM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
Why is that a reason to oppose gay marriage? Are you seeking to oppose any improvement in the lives of gays simply because they disagree with you?

Personal beliefs are as legitimate as any other reason. She doesn't agree with the idea on those grounds. Is there something wrong with disagreeing with a proposition because your personal beliefs run counter to it? I'd like to see you successfully argue that one.

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 05-31-2004 02:03:32 AM
thsi boet si oen a COLLIESION COUSER FOER ICELAEND!!!11
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:06:56 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Super Kagrama:
thsi boet si oen a COLLIESION COUSER FOER ICELAEND!!!11

Shweet.

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 02:08:11 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Maho who doth quote:
Personal beliefs are as legitimate as any other reason. She doesn't agree with the idea on those grounds. Is there something wrong with disagreeing with a proposition because your personal beliefs run counter to it? I'd like to see you successfully argue that one.

Yes, there is something VERY wrong with disagreeing with a proposition because it runs counter to your moral beliefs: Those are YOUR moral beliefs and you have no right to force them upon others. Banning gay marriage for no reason beyond your own arbitrary moral standards does precisely that.

You are free to sit back and think gays are sick and abhorrent all you like, but pushing through unconstitutional legislation for no other reason than to degrade the lives of gays is discriminatory, hateful, and runs against everything this country was founded on. You might as well push through a law that states black people can't get married, or a bill stating that gays can be shot in the street. It would be the exact same principle.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 02:11 AM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 02:11:13 AM
Ok, whatever. As long as you recognize that her religious disagreement with gay marriage is her only "legitimate" reason.

Get back to us if she has any authentic evidence of how gay marriage will cause dangerous economic or social ramifications. As far as I can tell, people just try to make that stuff up to make themselves feel less discriminative. I mean, I didn't really think there was anyone out there who thought legalized gay marriages meant that churches would be forced to marry gay couples.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-31-2004 02:11:45 AM
quote:
Maho had this to say about dark elf butts:
She does have a legitimate reason: like me, she is a Christian and does not approve of homosexuality in general.

But the Bible says homosexuality is a-okay. It's just the Christians who hated homosexuals before hand and were looking for an excuse to speak out against them took one thing that was said in the Bible as divine mandate while ignoring the second part of it that said to forget about the first part.(The bible is full of confusing shit like that, so that sort of actually makes sense.)

Darius!
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 02:12:30 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maho!

It is my personal belief that you should be shot.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:13:15 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Snoota:
But the Bible says homosexuality is a-okay. It's just the Christians who hated homosexuals before hand and were looking for an excuse to speak out against them took one thing that was said in the Bible as divine mandate while ignoring the second part of it that said to forget about the first part.(The bible is full of confusing shit like that, so that sort of actually makes sense.)

I always took Sodom and Gomorrah to be pretty clear indicators. What is this second part you speak of? Christ said he didn't come to abolish the law but to bring forth a new covenant. I keep hearing people talk about this but they bother to explain it.

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 02:17:13 AM
Really getting kinda sidetracked here, whether or not the bible condemns homosexuality is moot. Opposing gay marriage on solely moral grounds is unquestionably an act of forcing one's own opinion unconstitutionally upon someone else.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 02:17 AM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:24:32 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Really getting kinda sidetracked here, whether or not the bible condemns homosexuality is moot. Opposing gay marriage on solely moral grounds is unquestionably an act of forcing one's own opinion unconstitutionally upon someone else.

So, on what basis is it then allowable to disagree with someone? There's nothing unconstitutional about having your own beliefs and protecting them. I myself disagree with gay marriage on these grounds. I've said it before, I've no issue with gay civil unions, it's the concept of a gay, Christian marriage that bothers me. Well, it did, anyways. I realized at some point that there is no such thing as a gay, Christian marriage. The concept is an oxymoron. At that point, I ceased to take issue with it. I'm just curious to see what the pros and cons of this are. Frankly, I'm a bit irked to think it actually make to the federal government.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2004 02:28:03 AM
quote:
Maho stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Christ said he didn't come to abolish the law but to bring forth a new covenant.

Yes, he did say he came to abolish the first covenant. He gave an entire new set of laws for the Jews to follow and specifically said the covenant God made with their forfathers when he led them from Egypt was no longer valid because it was faulty and the Jews stopped obeying them, and he had turned his back on them again. Hebrew 8:13 specifically says the first Covenant is obsolete and the time has come for it to "vanish away."

Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 02:28:14 AM
quote:
Mahoing:
So, on what basis is it then allowable to disagree with someone? There's nothing unconstitutional about having your own beliefs and protecting them.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with them at all. You can disagree with gay marriage all you like - so long as it has absolutely NO legal bearing whatsoever on the lives of the people you're disagreeing with.

If you disagree with a gay christian marriage, there's a real religious guy named John Paul you'd need to take it up with, NOT the federal government.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 02:29 AM.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2004 02:30:02 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
If you disagree with a gay christian marriage, there's a real religious guy named John Paul you'd need to take it up with, NOT the federal government.

While the Pope isn't really Christian, this does bring up a good point. What's up with all the security surrounding the Pope?

I mean, if he's afraid to die then we're all pretty much fucked.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-31-2004 02:30:18 AM
quote:
Maho had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I always took Sodom and Gomorrah to be pretty clear indicators.

Of what? Don't try to assrape angels?

JooJooFlop fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 02:35 AM.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 05-31-2004 02:30:47 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Snoota who doth quote:
While the Pope isn't really Christian, this does bring up a good point. What's up with all the security surrounding the Pope?

Or whoever the fuck is the King Christian, whatever.

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 02:31:19 AM
quote:
Maho attempted to be funny by writing:
So, on what basis is it then allowable to disagree with someone? There's nothing unconstitutional about having your own beliefs and protecting them. I myself disagree with gay marriage on these grounds. I've said it before, I've no issue with gay civil unions, it's the concept of a gay, Christian marriage that bothers me. Well, it did, anyways. I realized at some point that there is no such thing as a gay, Christian marriage. The concept is an oxymoron. At that point, I ceased to take issue with it. I'm just curious to see what the pros and cons of this are. Frankly, I'm a bit irked to think it actually make to the federal government.

Gay marriage doesn't mean gay Christian marriage. Christians didn't create marriage nor is every marriage Christian, or even religious. Most of the gay couples in Massachusettes are being married by the government, not a priest, I'd imagine. And if a certain priest does agree to marry two gay people, he apparently practices a different interpertation of Christianity than you do. You can disagree with gay marriage, but you shouldn't wish for it to be made illegal for those who don't feel the same as you.

Remember, the only argument against gay marriage you have is that your god does not agree with it. Not everyone believes in your god, so why should we be under it's jurisdiction?

Zair fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 02:34 AM.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2004 02:33:02 AM
"Easy for you to say. You get off light in razing. You got to stand there and read at Sodom and Gamorreh, I had to do all the work."
"What work did you do? You lit a few fires."
"I rained down sulphur, man, there's a subtle difference."
"Oh, yeah, I'm sure."
"Hey you know, fuck you man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial. Mass Genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in. Next to soccer."
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 02:34:44 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maho said:
There's nothing unconstitutional about having your own beliefs and protecting them.

Bzzt, wrong. There is nothing unconstitutional about having and protecting your own rights and beliefs as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. That second bit is important. As soon as you start giving yourself more rights than someone else, it is discriminatory and unconstitutional.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:34:57 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Maradon! wrote:
You're right, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with them at all. You can disagree with gay marriage all you like - so long as it has absolutely NO legal bearing whatsoever on the lives of the people you're disagreeing with.

So it's constitutional to force your (and a number others') personal conviction that gay marriage is ok on people like myself and my mom? I fail to see how that's different. Granted, there is a difference in stance, but it really does amount to the same thing. Getting back to the subject, the question is not what I believe or what my mom believes and why, it's what effect will it have on our lives and the lives others who feel the same way we do. So if you will kindly stick with the subject at hand...

quote:
So quoth Snoota:
Yes, he did say he came to abolish the first covenant. He gave an entire new set of laws for the Jews to follow and specifically said the covenant God made with their forfathers when he led them from Egypt was no longer valid because it was faulty and the Jews stopped obeying them, and he had turned his back on them again. Hebrew 8:13 specifically says the first Covenant is obsolete and the time has come for it to "vanish away."

That'd be the covenant, not the law. The first convenant was broken long before Christ and people had stopped following it, but the covenant and the law are not the same thing. I suppose I could be wrong about this, but I find that hard to believe when faced with the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Why would God suddenly change his tune? Doesn't make sense from where I'm standing. This is all deviating from the topic, see above.

Snoota
posted 05-31-2004 02:39:38 AM
quote:
Maho thought about the meaning of life:
Why would God suddenly change his tune? Doesn't make sense from where I'm standing.

Dude, have you even read the Bible? The old testament and the new testament are like two completely different books. It's like the Evil Twin was ruling in the Old Testament, then the Good Twin secretly suplanted him and nobody noticed in the New Testament. He went from, 'If you don't listen to me I'll fuck your shit up like you've never thought possible!' to, 'Dear Heathen, Even if you hate me, I still love you. xoxo, Love God' with the turn of a page.

And the first covenant he speaks of is where he told the Jews they couldn't eat seafood, pork, rabbit, eat any meat that wasn't burnt, get tattoos or piercings, or fuck a man in the ass.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-31-2004 02:42:53 AM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about (_|_):
Dude, have you even read the Bible? The old testament and the new testament are like two completely different books. It's like the Evil Twin was ruling in the Old Testament, then the Good Twin secretly suplanted him and nobody noticed in the New Testament. He went from, 'If you don't listen to me I'll fuck your shit up like you've never thought possible!' to, 'Dear Heathen, Even if you hate me, I still love you. xoxo, Love God' with the turn of a page.

And the first covenant he speaks of is where he told the Jews they couldn't eat seafood, pork, rabbit, eat any meat that wasn't burnt, get tattoos or piercings, or fuck a man in the ass.

Yes, I have read the Bible. Once again, the point is not to debate my POV on this, y'all know where I stand. The point here is to find out what the possible legal and economic effects are if it is made legal. I want info, not debate on my POV.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 02:44:07 AM
quote:
Maho had this to say about Captain Planet:
So it's constitutional to force your (and a number others') personal conviction that gay marriage is ok on people like myself and my mom? I fail to see how that's different. Granted, there is a difference in stance, but it really does amount to the same thing. Getting back to the subject, the question is not what I believe or what my mom believes and why, it's what effect will it have on our lives and the lives others who feel the same way we do. So if you will kindly stick with the subject at hand...

Huge difrence their in that maradon "forcing"his veiw on you benifits a group (homosexuals) while doing aboslutly no harm to those who dont agree (you and yo mama)

on the other hand the belief you are trying to force not only doesnt benifit any group, but restricts a group of poeple from partaking in something that you are (legaly speaking) privlaged enough to indulge in

in short

allowing gay marage - win/no effect situation
banning gay mariage - lose/no effect situation

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: