EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Kerry's 100 Day Plan
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 03:58:19 PM
I found this interesting:

http://johnkerry.com/issues/100days/

quote:
As part of his 100 day plan to change America, John Kerry will propose a comprehensive service plan that includes requiring mandatory service for high school students and four years of college tuition in exchange for two years of national service.

The high school part is basically community service, not like.. military venues.

.... I like it.

I hope that if he does get elected, that it's all possible.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2004 03:59:18 PM
Nobody likes to be forced to do anything. If he tries to enforce this, he'll be assraped.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:00:42 PM
i totally misunderstood that

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:01:00 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Nobody likes to be forced to do anything. If he tries to enforce this, he'll be assraped.

My High School had forced community service to graduate and noone got assraped. People bitch and moan and then do what they're told. On that note, I don't see how this plan of his is anything new.

edit: Unless my school was fairly unique in regards to the community service thing, but I thought it was widespread.

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: Zair ]

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2004 04:02:27 PM
quote:
Zair's fortune cookie read:
My High School had forced community service to graduate and noone got assraped. People bitch and moan and then do what they're told. On that note, I don't see how this plan of his is anything new.

Your high school is the minority. Americans pride themselves on being able to what they want, when they want (short of illegalities). Trying to mold the children of America into a sort of Beaver Cleaver tripdream will be met with resistance.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:05:15 PM
My school didn't have that, though I wish it did.

And you are forced to do everything every day.

Hello, paying taxes, obeying THE LAW, wearing clothes, not driving on the other side of the road... etc. etc.

I think it would be good for kids. I really, really do.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2004 04:06:47 PM
quote:
Gikk spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Hello, paying taxes, obeying THE LAW, wearing clothes, not driving on the other side of the road... etc. etc.

That's perhaps the single dumbest comparison I've ever heard. Being forced to perform community service and being forced to obey the laws of the country are so far apart you should be shot for even bringing them up.

You can't singlehandedly force a bunch of lazy kids to start caring for their fellow man.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:07:05 PM
quote:
Gikk spewed forth this undeniable truth:

I just hope that private schools aren't somehow forced to comply with this

Besides, the point of community service is either to pay reparation for something wrong that you've done or because you genuinely want to help out. To me, this is like being forced to work on a Habitat house. There's nothing genuine about that. A lot of the people that do this of their own free will truly enjoy the fact that they're giving back to the community.

Now, if this wasn't required it'd be one thing. If you submitted yourself to this program, and in exchange received college tuition; that'd be entirely different and MUCH more legitimate in my eyes.

Correct me if I misunderstood anything, though...

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:07:49 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan attempted to be funny by writing:
Your high school is the minority. Americans pride themselves on being able to what they want, when they want (short of illegalities). Trying to mold the children of America into a sort of Beaver Cleaver tripdream will be met with resistance.

Perhaps. However, in my school it was only 20 hours of community service over the whole senior year. It wasn't too big of a deal. And since it worked rather smoothly in my school district, I don't see it causing a big stir in the country. The kids tend to care, the parents don't. Kids are forced to do many things to graduate from High School. How is this thing different than some others?

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-11-2004 04:09:05 PM
This is the absolutely dumbest thing I've ever heard, not that it makes Kerry worse than Bush but it pushes him close, I'll have to go through a year of forced community service to avoid the military and I honestly don't look forward to 12 months of working 8 hours a day at rates a sweatshop worker in Honduras would find insulting just because the government is too cheap to pay it's own minimum wage.

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: Mod ]

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:11:09 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kegwen:

They would (probably) be.

Seeing as how you have your own set of educational standards, and all that, you wouldn't -have- to do anything.

And how can it hurt, Parce? And no. You can't. But maybe you'll get them to realize that, say, if they are taking care of old people, that they'll be there some day - and sure as hell they can do it. And it's just like a law, since it will be one.

Just like how you have to take standardized tests, and you HAVE to have certain class requirements to graduate (Gym?) You have have Comm. Service, too. Hell, you tlak about how they can't MAKE anyone do it - they MAKE people go to Gym, and while everyone doesn't take it to heart, some do - and that's the important thing.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-11-2004 04:13:03 PM
While we didn't have to go to that extreme, my high school forced us to have to preform 20 hours of community service each year to graduate. It was a private school too.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:13:43 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
This is the absolutely dumbest thing I've ever heard, not that it makes Kerry worse than Bush but it pushes him close, I'll have to go through a year of forced community service to avoid the military and I honestly don't look forward to 12 months of working 8 hours a day at rates a sweatshop worker in Honduras would find insulting just because the government is too cheap to pay it's own minimum wage.

Where did you see that?

And Parce, some states are already doing it, so it's nothing new.

quote:
States and local communities will design their own service requirements to make the requirement significant and meaningful without becoming onerous. For instance, the State of Maryland requires seventy-five hours of service over the course of high school and local educators have discretion to implement the requirement in ways that meet student needs. John Kerry understands that young people have many obligations and recognizes that a service requirement should not be onerous or unrealistic for students to meet. Maryland, as well as numerous school districts around the country, including some in New Hampshire, already have such a requirement and have had great results.
Suddar
posted 03-11-2004 04:14:11 PM
It's a dumb idea.
Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:15:05 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Duck Tales:

Having a kid work 2 hours a week for 10 weeks isn't really comparable to your situation. The kids can even work pretty much anywhere they want, as long as it's approved. I think having kids learn a little about their community doesn't hurt anyone. I don't see how this is any more wrong than forcing kids to take gym class. Neither has to do with their education, but rather makes them more well-rounded individuals.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-11-2004 04:15:52 PM
All you who didn't have to do community service along with school work and a part-time job in High School are just slackers.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 03-11-2004 04:16:30 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Punky Brewster:

A free person not doing community service isnt illegal.
The things you listed are illegal.

There is a difference.

I didnt need community service to learn things, I just got a job, that I actual. It did wonders for me.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2004 04:18:24 PM
quote:
Gikk enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
And how can it hurt, Parce?

Have you taken a look at community service today? There are three kinds of community service people: the kind who do it because they want to (for colleges), the kind who do it because they're forced to (for a sentence) and the kind that fuck it up (rogues). The people that are forced to don't do shit, they don't enjoy it and they'll do whatever they can to get out of it. The people who do it out of their own desire would do it anyways.

You're swallowing this idealistic bull, thinking that everyone will eagerly jump in to help. It won't work.

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-11-2004 04:19:11 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Pirotess:
[QB][/QB]

Nm, I saw 'two years of community service' and translated into what it means here .

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:19:23 PM
quote:
Zair had this to say about Tron:
Having a kid work 2 hours a week for 10 weeks isn't really comparable to your situation. The kids can even work pretty much anywhere they want, as long as it's approved. I think having kids learn a little about their community doesn't hurt anyone. I don't see how this is any more wrong than forcing kids to take gym class. Neither has to do with their education, but rather makes them more well-rounded individuals.

Gym class is in school. You know, like, built into the schedule? It's much different to force them to go out on weekends to do community service. We've had a few days where we, as a class, went and served in the community kitchen instead of having classes. That's perfectly acceptable.

In my opinion, requirements for completing high school should not include anything that can't be done during school hours.

Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 03-11-2004 04:20:05 PM
quote:
Kegwen was naked while typing this:

All the high schools in Ontario (or at least Burlington) enforce 40hours of community service...that would include the Catholic(or private) school I went to

I only did...maybe 8hrs and I still graduated.

I do believe it should not be mandatory to graduate or advance to the next year. Honestly, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

So, I shall assume it's standard to do some sort of community service before you graduate, and I will say that Parce probably drank his way through high school and can't remember his up from down.

Gikk makes a good point, helping older people will help these kids realize that one day someone is going to have to take care of them. If they keep up with their attitude, they won't have anyone to take care of them.

If they do enforce this...they should make more options available to get those hours. I never got any except for the few visits to McMaster's Sick Kids hospital ward. (It gives you a good feeling to show up and see the smiling faces of those kids at the end of the day.)

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:20:37 PM
quote:
Kegwen impressed everyone with:
Gym class is in school. You know, like, built into the schedule? It's much different to force them to go out on weekends to do community service. We've had a few days where we, as a class, went and served in the community kitchen instead of having classes. That's perfectly acceptable.

In my opinion, requirements for completing high school should not include anything that can't be done during school hours.

So, you don't agree with assigning research papers and other homework?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:22:36 PM
quote:
Zair was naked while typing this:
So, you don't agree with assigning research papers and other homework?

Okay, my wording was a bit extreme. You can't compare homework to community service, though. High school graduation requirements should be purely academic. There, that's a better way of saying it.

edit: I do most of my papers and homework during school hours, but that's because my school allows for the existence of free periods. In public schools around here that's taboo.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:23:20 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Robocop:
Okay, my wording was a bit extreme. You can't compare homework to community service, though. High school graduation requirements should be purely academic. There, that's a better way of saying it.

Ok, so then you don't agree with gym class requirements?

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:25:12 PM
I would hope it would be in a class - like 'Community Awareness' or something.

Maybe an elective you would have to take a semester of while you were in High School? You pass (do your hours with the rest of the class), and it's just another graduation req.

Like... when I was in girl scouts, we went to a retirement home and helped and just talked to them for a couple of hours.

Would it really hurt America's youth to do that? =/

And I don't think everyone would 'jump up and help'. However, I think it would a: help the community as a whole. Seeing as how volenteer orgainizations are almost always looking for help, and you can always go pick up trash in a park or something, there's a need for bodies. B, it would teach kids to not take shit for granted. c: it'll show them wether they are cut out for it instead of banking on the other idea (2 years national service = 4 years free college).

God FORBID we make people do 20 (or whatever) hours of helping the community in the 12 years of public school.

And IT'S ALREADY IN PLACE IN SOME STATES ON A STATE LEVEL. SO IT OBVIOUSLY CAN BE DONE.

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:25:26 PM
quote:
Zair had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Ok, so then you don't agree with gym class requirements?

No, I really don't. However, it's much more acceptable than forced community service outside of school hours. The program would be perfectly fine if it wasn't forced. Like, you could earn money towards your tuition if you chose to submit yourself to the program.

edit: clarified

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-11-2004 04:25:45 PM
And most schools that require community service aren't just doing this to be doing it. They require it so the students can get into college easier because we all know, most teenagers won't go out and do community service unless they are forced to. Anyone who says otherwise is just being delusional.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-11-2004 04:26:30 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Duck Tales:
Would it really hurt America's youth to do that? =/

As I said, Americans don't like being told what to do. So, while it wouldn't necessarily hurt them, it would be met with much resistance.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:27:50 PM
quote:
Katrinity's fortune cookie read:
And most schools that require community service aren't just doing this to be doing it. They require it so the students can get into college easier because we all know, most teenagers won't go out and do community service unless they are forced to. Anyone who says otherwise is just being delusional.

Yeah, but most teenagers don't apply to colleges that require community service, either.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:27:51 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan's fortune cookie read:
As I said, Americans don't like being told what to do. So, while it wouldn't necessarily hurt them, it would be met with much resistance.

Like we've said, thats not applicable in every situation. This forced community service thing is already implimented in a lot of places and no one cares.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:29:07 PM
quote:
Zair's fortune cookie read:
Like we've said, thats not applicable in every situation. This forced community service thing is already implimented in a lot of places and no one cares.

I'm sure plenty of students loathe every second of the work, but it's not like they're going to incite a revolution to get out of it.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-11-2004 04:29:17 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Kegwen said:
Yeah, but most teenagers don't apply to colleges that require community service, either.

Um...Kegwen...every college in existance today considers community service a bonus when going through applications. If you don't have it, you could lose a position getting into that year to somebody who does have it.

No, its not a requirement at most places, but its an unwritten law that you need it to get in easier.

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: Katrinity ]

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:31:23 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Um...Kegwen...every college in existance today considers community service a bonus when going through applications. If you don't have it, you could lose a position getting into that year to somebody who does have it.

No, its not a requirement at most places, but its an unwritten law that you need it to get in easier.

Unless, of course, the college is pretty much open enrollment.

But then again, the colleges that are like that tend to be like... cattle colleges - horirbly crowded with people.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:31:25 PM
quote:
Katrinity painfully thought these words up:

Yes, every private college and big name state schools. Most schools aren't competitive enough for it to matter. All the schools I applied to didn't even ask about community service.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:32:37 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about dark elf butts:
I'm sure plenty of students loathe every second of the work, but it's not like they're going to incite a revolution to get out of it.

Yeah, all the kids complain at first, but it's not like they are going to organize and protest. Parents tend to not care, or support the idea.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-11-2004 04:32:59 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

But if everyone has to do community service then wouldn't colleges just look at students who do more than what they were required to do?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-11-2004 04:33:34 PM
Did you have to fill out an essay?

And was there something like 'Other things you'd like to mention' or 'Other'?

That's where that goes.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-11-2004 04:34:25 PM
quote:
Kegwen impressed everyone with:
No, I really don't.

Okay. At least you are consistent. I don't agree with you, but this is all opinion, really, not right and wrong.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-11-2004 04:34:54 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Captain Planet:
But if everyone has to do community service then wouldn't colleges just look at students who do more than what they were required to do?

Most likely.

Getting into good colleges now o days is like trying to get into a good paying job. The more creditials you have, the better.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-11-2004 04:36:40 PM
quote:
Gikk stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Did you have to fill out an essay?

And was there something like 'Other things you'd like to mention' or 'Other'?

That's where that goes.

No, I didn't apply to any highly competitive schools. I was pretty much guaranteed admission into every place I applied to.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: