EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tarot help
Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 09-09-2003 07:26:04 PM
Can anyone give me a site that list the definitions of the minor acrana and other tarot cards.. Ive tried msn.ca and about two other search engines with no relative results..

Much thanks to any help..

~maki

Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
Skaw
posted 09-09-2003 07:31:37 PM
I have a definition for you: Fake.
Suddar
posted 09-09-2003 07:32:54 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I have a definition for you: Fake.

So is astrology, but people are still going to read it.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 09-09-2003 07:38:24 PM
http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm

and yes.. I'm still working on them.

Maradon!
posted 09-09-2003 08:59:11 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Suddar booooze lime pole over bench lick:
So is astrology, but people are still going to read it.

Scientifically proven fake

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 09-10-2003 12:04:38 PM
To the rest: whatever

Trillee: Much thanks ^_^

Check out my art
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 09-10-2003 12:25:28 PM
You're going to run into quite a bit of trouble, just trying to look up the direct meanings of tarot cards, unless you have the flat deck. Several styles of deck (dragon decks, woodland decks) have differences in their meanings, due to the different general feel of the cards and what they are meant to read.

If you DO happen to have just the straight deck, though, look here for some decent interpretation help - though that site also applies astrology meanings and interactions to the cards, which is a definite "alternate methodology." So you might just want to go here for more basic meanings.

Oh, and an important rule of Tarot as it was told to me - fate can change, and it can be changed. So do not let yourself fall into following it.

(Disclaimer: Belief is a funny thing. If you believe in something, it has meaning. So I don't attempt to bother people over their beliefs. But make sure to read that important rule again, as I've seen too many people make their beliefs into their lives.)

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2003 12:26:59 PM
quote:
BlueMage had this to say about the Spice Girls:

So you are saying that you still belive that the Tarot is real?

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 09-10-2003 12:50:34 PM
quote:
BlueMage impressed everyone with:

Seriously, what did you expect from this board?

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 09-10-2003 01:14:23 PM
pretty much what I got thats why I didnt jump into a big shpeal deffending it and such... and since I want these definition for purposes other then what they think I need them for I really didnt give it much more thought then that.
Check out my art
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2003 01:45:58 PM
I think we all just have trouble beliveing in the mystic powers of anything produced by Mattel, Hasbro, or fisher Price.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 09-10-2003 01:49:11 PM
... O.o what are you talking about Azizza? I've NEVER seen tarot decks by mattel, hasbro, OR fisher price. They are NOT made for children - especially because a lot of the cards are very dark, such as the ten of swords. Don't talk down to something you know jack shit about, it just makes you look stupid.

I got mine from my mom, Beau - we can talk about it more after I get home from class if you are interested - I've had it for about 5 years.

Also, while it may not "predict the future", it does help people consider things much more clearly - I did a reading for a friend of mine, and the tower came up for a male figure in her life - and because of that, she stopped going on pot-selling runs with him, so when he got put in jail, she wasn't with him.

I find it interesting that the tower and a knight card came up, and virtually the only male figure in her life was doing somehting prison-worthy, but even if it is chance, it got her to THINK.

Sometimes, a little belief is a good thing.

[ 09-10-2003: Message edited by: Gikkwiny ]

Drakkenmaw
posted 09-10-2003 01:54:30 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Knight Rider:
I think we all just have trouble beliveing in the mystic powers of anything produced by Mattel, Hasbro, or fisher Price.

I'd love to see a Fisher-Price tarot deck. "My First Tarot Deck." Big, rounded, moulded-plastic cards with day-glow colours and a Death card that looks like Barney.

I'd certainly buy it, and I don't even follow Tarot.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2003 02:21:27 PM
I belive in many things. I belive in Magic, or that it existed at one time. I belive that most legends have heavy basis in truth.

I even believe that there are people out there who can do things other can't.

However I don't believe that you can read the future or the course of fate in a bunch of mass produced cards.

You say you got yours from your Mom. Did she ink them herself, have them inked, or did she buy them from a store?

And I am sorry but your little story does nothing to support your case.
Common sense should make people consider things more closely. If it takes Tarot cards then the person has serious issues. And in her case it sounds like she does.

Hmm If you go out with a Person Selling Pot then you are putting your life and livelyhood at risk. Common sense dictates that you should get out or you probably will go to jail. She got LUCKY.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2003 02:22:55 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Drakkenmaw stammered:
I'd love to see a Fisher-Price tarot deck. "My First Tarot Deck." Big, rounded, moulded-plastic cards with day-glow colours and a Death card that looks like Barney.

I'd certainly buy it, and I don't even follow Tarot.

I used the Fisher price, etc, as an example. But basicly mass produced cards is what I was refering to.

Hasbro did have a serious of toned down cards out for a while. I remember them when I worked at a Hobby shop that sold just about everything.
Laughed my ass off.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 09-10-2003 02:28:04 PM
quote:
Drakkenmaw's account was hax0red to write:
a Death card that looks like Barney.

That'd make me want to put a gunbarrel in my mouth.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Drakkenmaw
posted 09-10-2003 02:28:29 PM
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 09-10-2003 02:37:46 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about (_|_):
I belive in many things. I belive in Magic, or that it existed at one time. I belive that most legends have heavy basis in truth.

I even believe that there are people out there who can do things other can't.

However I don't believe that you can read the future or the course of fate in a bunch of mass produced cards.

You say you got yours from your Mom. Did she ink them herself, have them inked, or did she buy them from a store?

And I am sorry but your little story does nothing to support your case.
Common sense should make people consider things more closely. If it takes Tarot cards then the person has serious issues. And in her case it sounds like she does.

Hmm If you go out with a Person Selling Pot then you are putting your life and livelyhood at risk. Common sense dictates that you should get out or you probably will go to jail. She got LUCKY.

... It takes a lot of things for poeple to look up and see what's around them. While you may be the all knowing person who doesn't need that, a lot of people do. She didn't get lucky. She took herself out of a bad situation.
And my "little story" isn't saying "Hey! Tarot cards are amazing, lolol, I will use them to find out if I should run away to Mexico~"

They shouldn't rule your lives... but sometimes, they make you think of things you HAVN'T thought of before. A lot of people talk about how "the cards can fit anyone." Well, they can... but for instance, when my life was REALLY crummy, and I got a happy shiny card, I thought to myself "Hey.. wait.. maybe I -do- have something to be happy about instead of moping all the time."

Weather Hasbro made them or not, they are not made for children, OBVIOUSLY. And as far as the deck I got from my mother, I do personally know the artist - Robin Wood. The cards are signed by her, and I treasure them, because they were a gift from my mother. You can go fly a kite if you think that just because someone can go to borders and buy a deck of them themselves, it makes them any less special to me.

Like I said. If you try and tear something apart you have no idea about, it just makes you look like you are out of your league. The people who posted one line about them being scienftifically proven not to work look better then all the stuff you are saying.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2003 02:46:06 PM
quote:
Gikkwiny thought about the meaning of life:
The people who posted one line about them being scienftifically proven not to work look better then all the stuff you are saying.

Only because you apperently don't like people to actually argue something with you.
Not my problem.

The fact remains that Tarot cards are no different than a Horoscope.
I don't dissagree that they can brighten your day if you get a good one, or that is chance berings up the right one it can make you think about your life.
The same thing can happen from catching a commercial on the radio though.

I am not saying that they should not mean anything to you given the source. Hell I think that is really cool that Your mom not only got them for you from someone like that, but also got them signed by her. To me that would mean a lot as well.

But if you go back and read what I wrote you will find that my point is that aome mass produced piece or plastic or cardboard is neither magical or in anyway a focus for Magics.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 09-10-2003 02:56:20 PM
Yeah, they are mass produced.

So?

What's your point? Unless something has been made from animal skins, there is no way it could be a focus object? Well, it's nice and all that you think you know all the rules of magic, if it does exist.

How do you know? Or, moreover, how do you not know?

And as far as you getting the same effect from a commercial... People only turn to Tarot when they are looking for something - either an idea about how they are doing, or a specific question for an answer. Last time I looked, commercials hardly do that.

You may be able to equal it to a light counseling session, or hell, even a horoscope. While they may not be your definition of helpful, they help people look over thier lives, and sometimes notice things out of the subconcious. You don't admit to yourself XYZ is bothering you until you have a card staring you in the face.

I have no problem with poeple arguing with me when they are using actual points, like you did in your last statement... but the "they so stupid, rofalalll" with no backup like you did previously, just taking potshots at them "Fisher price! bahahaa!" (which, btw, was a comment very easily misconstrued. It made them seem like you thought they were all kiddy, not mass manufactured. If you wanted to point out mass manufactured, you should talk about how they are available at every bookstore, not that they are made by three companies reknowned for making products for infants.)

Also, not that it matters, but my mom got them as a gift form the artist. She didn't buy them for me, and she had them for some 5 years before she gave them to me. ^_^

Drakkenmaw
posted 09-10-2003 02:57:17 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about dark elf butts:
But if you go back and read what I wrote you will find that my point is that aome mass produced piece or plastic or cardboard is neither magical or in anyway a focus for Magics.

In YOUR OPINION, it isn't. In MY opinion, magic as a whole is a big pile of crap. But it has a soothing effect on the worries of your day to believe in it, and thus I don't look down on other people for doing so. It's a nice thing to give some shape to an existence, and if my inner skeptic would let me I'd probably believe in some similar superstition myself.

So lay off.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 09-10-2003 04:57:40 PM
Wow... I don't remember getting this shit when I offered to make a deck for the boards...

Back off. You have *NO* clue what the hell she wanted the information for.

Just because you don't fuckin believe in it, doesn't mean you have the fucking right to jump over her and belittling her for a simple request.

Yeah, I expected this kinda shit form some of the people here, but gods damn....

[ 09-10-2003: Message edited by: Trillee ]

Skaw
posted 09-10-2003 04:59:28 PM
Hey, she asked for definitions for the stuff, and I gave her one.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 09-10-2003 06:33:24 PM
You know what i mean Skaw... And you know damned well that wasn't want she ment.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 09-10-2003 09:19:16 PM
Gikk is HAWT
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-10-2003 09:48:01 PM
Can you offer solid proof against tarot Az? Your arguments really are much more of the "Hahaha, I'll make fun of it because it's not what I believe in and I'm so superior" vent rather than giving any real reasons for what you're saying.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-11-2003 12:26:19 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Lyinar Ka`Bael liberally with Old Spice!
Can you offer solid proof against tarot Az? Your arguments really are much more of the "Hahaha, I'll make fun of it because it's not what I believe in and I'm so superior" vent rather than giving any real reasons for what you're saying.

He doesn't have to offer solid proof. Tarot has to demonstrate reliably that it works. Burden of proof is NEVER put to the negative.

Same way I don't have to prove that magic is a load of bunk. Azizza has to go digging through history texts and archaeolgical finds to prove magic once existed, and has to demonstrate that it still exists today. Burden of proof.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Suddar
posted 09-11-2003 12:45:04 AM
To be honest, when done right, Tarot is much less mystical and much more subconscious soulsearching. The designs on the cards all tell different people different things--when shuffled face up, the idea is that as the cards all go by and register in peoples' brains, certain cards they will relate with much more strongly. Then, if all goes according to plan, subconsciously they will seek those cards as the answer to their "query" in the shuffling. A second person is oftentimes needed, or at least suggested, because 1. they know the cards better, what they could and could not mean (though that's something that should be left to the person 'asking'), and 2. they'll help relax the person asking the question. When you're tense, anxious, nervous, what-have-you, it's hard as hell to let your subconscious do the thinking for you.

Are they magic? Doubt it. Some people take the idea of the subconscious even farther, though, thinking that we're all psychic under the surface, so that subconsciously we will 'know' the answer to the given question even if it isn't related to us. This is hardly even debatable, especially if you follow science or a Christian/Jewish/Islamic faith where I don't believe such things are even accepted. But this is the accepted (mostly, to my knowledge) interpretation to the 'powers' of the cards in wiccan/pagan/whatever circles. I suppose some still think that the cards have their own will, but this is an idea largely lost to the times.

Either way, to many people, it's just a bit of fun.

Skaw
posted 09-11-2003 01:51:29 AM
Much like all pscyhic-based things, its vague. Way vague that any thing described by tarot cards/fortune tellers/psychics can be applicable to numerous ends. This is how Nostradamus has built his reputation. Every one of his predictions is vague enough, that after hundreds of predictions, one or two will look like they told what would happen many years late. Same can be said about tarot cards. All the mishappenings are vague to where most of the time, it will happen. Thats how you win at fooling people into believing this stuff. You be as unspecific as possible, while still trying to get the topic across.

[ 09-11-2003: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Aarchangel
Pancake
posted 09-11-2003 02:32:14 AM
This is to much fun to just leave Ignore.

Is there Majik in the world? I think yes, Can I prove it to you? No, nor do I even want to try. People of closed minds knock anything that they can not personally prove, relate to, or accept, they are so set in their ways they are afraid to allow an iota of something new into their life.

You can tell me whatever you want about Druidism Wicca and Majik in general, I believe, that is enuff for me, and that is enuff for others.

There is no religion that can be "scientifically proven" to be true or false. I have had to many arguments with Fundies telling me to prove that there is majik in the world, shoe mw point to it, I ask them to do the same with their god and they say "Look around you that is proof enuff" I tell them, "And that is my answer as well"

Point is no one knows. Tarot, Runes, I-Ching, The Bible, Wija Boards, they all hold something for those who use and have some faith that they will find what they seek within it. You can not prove it, but just know for your self that it is true.

So please stop trying to dismiss something that you may not believe in, understand or accept and bullshit or fake, and I wont tell you taht your beliefs are wrong, just agree to disagree and get along peacefully. To many wars have been started over religion, there is no need to further the hatred with petty shit as i have seen above, and other places

For those who want to learn more about Wicca send me a shout, Aarchangel_1772 on either MSN or Yahoo. Ecclectic Wiccan of the last 20 years, i may not have the answers but i wont dismiss what you think as crap.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled flame fest

Skaw
posted 09-11-2003 02:35:11 AM
Wow, getting a lecture from someone following a "Me too!" religion.

Here is a great proposal. Majik me up a ham sandwich and I'll believe you.

[ 09-11-2003: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-11-2003 07:41:39 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Captain Planet:
Wow, getting a lecture from someone following a "Me too!" religion.

Lets try reading before we bash someone's beliefs:

quote:
Ecclectic Wiccan of the last 20 years,

It may be a "me too" thing nowadays, but I doubt it was 20 years ago.

And I don't see anyone here making fun of what YOU believe in Skaw, so I'd suggest you lay off of making fun of what others believe in.

Now the next part doesn't target anyone in particular.

Tarot Cards are in a way, like religion. They give people something to believe in, something to help, as Gikk put it, make their day more positive. They can give someone motivation to go do something, to go out and look for something they didnt want to look for before.

Christian Faith does that too. There is a God that Christians believe in, that helps to make their day more positive. Through their belief, they do things they may not have thought about doing before.

Now, I'm not saying anything is true or false here, and I'm for DAMN sure not making my religion (or lack thereof) known here with the bashing I've n in this thread. But why does everyone here feel the need to pound it into BlueMage's head that they are fake when that wasnt anywhere near what her question was? Lemme guess -- its because it was BlueMage, right?

When Trillee posted about doing her deck of ECers type thing, everyone was all over her and all friendly about it. Noone, that I know of, has ever flamed Gikky over it. I'd suggest backing the hell off it, she was just asking for some help, and did nothing wrong. If you think Tarot cards are fake, wonderful! Don't try hijacking the thread with that shit though.

And this is why I shouldn't read the boards when I'm waking up. I'm off to get breakfast.

Suddar
posted 09-11-2003 07:42:12 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Skaw wrote:
Much like all pscyhic-based things, its vague. Way vague that any thing described by tarot cards/fortune tellers/psychics can be applicable to numerous ends. This is how Nostradamus has built his reputation. Every one of his predictions is vague enough, that after hundreds of predictions, one or two will look like they told what would happen many years late. Same can be said about tarot cards. All the mishappenings are vague to where most of the time, it will happen. Thats how you win at fooling people into believing this stuff. You be as unspecific as possible, while still trying to get the topic across.

Like I said in my previous post...

The idea is somewhat similar to inkblots, deciding which cards mean what (to you). There are definitions all over the internet, bookstores, wherever, but for the most part those are useless and contradictory to the entire process. I don't really think it's mystical, just that there are a few things it can tell you...you probably just already know them.

Drakkenmaw
posted 09-11-2003 07:57:16 AM
Skaw, yeesh. I sincerely doubt your first response even got a reply, much less one directed at you. Given where this is, I doubt anyone really expected there NOT to be some "I don't believe" posts. It's only when people got vitriolic over it that people started "defending their beliefs," and even then it was not specifically directed towards you.

I can understand the joke to begin with. Mildly smirk-causing, if nothing more. No reason to go digging a hole arguing religion with people. Nothing is provable, and nothing is disprovable - hence the lack of science involved, and the lack of people arguing scientific proof. I doubt anyone has said that this works definitively, just that they believe it has an influence. Exactly how all religions work. Believe or not as you will, but it's silly to criticize people over believing something that makes their lives more ordered and managable. Religion only hurts people when they do stupid things over it... Like, say, fighting over it.

So relax.

[Misspelling and a misplaced period.]

[ 09-11-2003: Message edited by: Drakkenmaw ]

Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 09-12-2003 10:33:30 PM
Why do people have to tear down another person based on beliefs? You can take all the world's beliefs and put them on a scale with all the proven science and have a big ole field day.

If they are not pissing in your breakfast then fuck off. Everyone. Just damn.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 09-13-2003 12:04:24 AM
quote:
Trillee had this to say about Duck Tales:
Wow... I don't remember getting this shit when I offered to make a deck for the boards...

Back off. You have *NO* clue what the hell she wanted the information for.

Just because you don't fuckin believe in it, doesn't mean you have the fucking right to jump over her and belittling her for a simple request.

Yeah, I expected this kinda shit form some of the people here, but gods damn....

but your forgeting that while your acepted by pretty much everyone at ec as a normal poster, bluemage is forever dammed for pretty much no reason at all other then some stupid drama like 2 years ago that every post or thread she makes be proceeded by "OMG ROOFLES CANADIANGOTH LOSER SQUAD" or some such (even if in this case it was done all stealthy, if it was 90% of the regular posters asking for tarot definations, i can allmost garentee this wouldnt have happened)

poeple seriously gotta move on and stop the hate

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Skaw
posted 09-13-2003 12:07:27 AM
I really wanted that ham sandwich.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 09-13-2003 12:09:27 AM
Holy crap.

A+ for that post, Mog.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 09-13-2003 12:09:44 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I really wanted that ham sandwich.

can i have half of it?

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 09-13-2003 01:14:55 AM
Useless Bathroom Reader fact of the day: Tarot cards were actually, originally, a predecessor of modern card games, used to play a card game called tarota. (I think that's it.) Eventually, fortune tellers found they were handy for using to add mysticism to their readings, and that's what they've been associated with ever since.
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: