EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Homeowners Associations
Maradon!
posted 05-04-2003 07:34:26 PM
In my line of work, you run into frequent references to homeowners associations.

"My homeowner's association will only allow the dish if it's less than sixteen inches across, pastel pink or blue, and can be installed indoors."

For those of you that don't know, in some "upper class" communities the people band together to basically tell everyone what they can or can't do on thier property in the interest of keeping things looking "tasteful" (IE how they think it should look) so they can drive down the street and just cream thier pants at how Leave-it-to-Beaver bucolic everything is. "Oh Charles! How lovely the neighborhood is now that we've driven out dissenting tastes!"

The very concept of someone else telling me what to do with my property strikes me as completely unconstitutional. If I had a homeowners association trying to tell me what to do, I'd set up a squadron of plastic santas in my front yard year 'round just to piss them off.

My question is this: Do these people even have any legal power? If so, what communist allowed this to happen?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-04-2003 07:35:53 PM
I dunno. I'm a country bumpkin.

I'd say, thought, that they'll just another reason to move out into the Colorado Rockies after you make your millions.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 07:37:42 PM
No, we have homeowners associations here in the Colorado Rockies, too.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-04-2003 07:43:37 PM
quote:
So quoth Someone Else:
No, we have homeowners associations here in the Colorado Rockies, too.

I'll find someplace remote.

Maybe Slumgullion Pass.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-04-2003 07:57:24 PM
quote:
Karnaj wrote:
I'll find someplace remote.

Maybe Slumgullion Pass.

Move over here, we don't have them.

Every street still manages to look the same, though. :/

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-04-2003 08:01:15 PM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Move over here, we don't have them.

Every street still manages to look the same, though. :/

Been to England. It's very beautiful, but not warm enough for me. I know what you're thinking: "And the fucking mountains are?" It's actually pretty seasonable in most of the Rockies in the summer, and IIRC, Slumgullion Pass in is Park County, which is in the southwest quarter of the state. I'd practically be in New Mexico!

Beer.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-04-2003 08:02:09 PM
I agree with Maradon and ask the same.

We don't have anything like that here, though.

hey
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 08:08:07 PM
quote:
Bill attempted to be funny by writing:
The very concept of someone else telling me what to do with my property strikes me as completely unconstitutional.

How do you figure? Homeowner's Associations are created voluntarily by the landowners in a neighborhood, and if you're buying a home in a neighborhood that has a pre-existing HA, your membership in it is pretty clearly laid out in the land title.

If you don't like it, don't buy that house. The Constutition has nothing to do with it. No one's ever been forced into a homeowner's association... the problem is when people get into it without fully realizing what they're getting into.

quote:
If I had a homeowners association trying to tell me what to do, I'd set up a squadron of plastic santas in my front yard year 'round just to piss them off.

My question is this: Do these people even have any legal power? If so, what communist allowed this to happen?

Yes, they have legal power. You are contractually bound to honor the decisions of your homeowner's association when you sign the paperwork to purchase a house in their jurisdiction. Failure to comply opens you up to anything from being sued to forfeiture of your land.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 05-04-2003 08:09:03 PM
To purchase the property you have to sign a contract with the homeowners association. The previous owners would be contractually bound to force you to sign the contract or not sell their home to you. It is a racket though.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-04-2003 08:17:31 PM
It was pretty much like that in all the neighborhoods when I lived in a suburb of Houston. If you wanted to live in a house, you'd be following HA guidelines.

Don't cut your lawn for a couple weeks in the summer? They'll hire someone to cut it for you, then send you the bill.

Complete bullshit.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-04-2003 08:38:30 PM
HA's can also modify the deeds themselves (Say, to only allow a certain number of pets, etc.) in order to suit their needs.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-04-2003 08:42:29 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? had this to say:
Don't cut your lawn for a couple weeks in the summer? They'll hire someone to cut it for you, then send you the bill.

I can't cut my lawn, or do any other kind of gardening.

Not unless I want my eyelids to fold back over my eyes, puffing up into huge and grotesque masses of flesh that blind me, which happened once.

I hate hayfever, and I get it bad. BAD.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-04-2003 08:43:17 PM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
I can't cut my lawn, or do any other kind of gardening.

Not unless I want my eyelids to fold back over my eyes, puffing up into huge and grotesque masses of flesh that blind me, which happened once.

I hate hayfever, and I get it bad. BAD.

Lucky bastard.

Maradon!
posted 05-04-2003 09:23:19 PM
quote:
How do you figure? Homeowner's Associations are created voluntarily by the landowners in a neighborhood, and if you're buying a home in a neighborhood that has a pre-existing HA, your membership in it is pretty clearly laid out in the land title.

I figure it's an abuse of law aimed at forcing your opinion of how property should look on other people.

I'd refuse to sign any contract waiving my right to do what I want with my property. Don't want to sell me the property without it? How is that any different from discrimination?

Delphi Aegis
posted 05-04-2003 09:29:36 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bill wrote:
I figure it's an abuse of law aimed at forcing your opinion of how property should look on other people.

I'd refuse to sign any contract waiving my right to do what I want with my property. Don't want to sell me the property without it? How is that any different from discrimination?

Yeah, esentially.

Gotta love that whole thing where people want what is normal while they themselves aren't.

I liked the guy across the street in Vegas who had cacti instead of a lawn.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-04-2003 09:33:15 PM
quote:
Bill wrote this stupid crap:

When the HA is founded, the person owning the property willingly signed the agreement/contract/whatever. Part of that states that they can't sell the land to anyone else unless they too sign on.

If you don't sign on, they don't have to sell it to you. Like McDonalds, they have the right not to conduct business with someone. Not to mention, they would be breaking their contract-thingy if they did.

I'm sure there are ways around it, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-04-2003 09:34:21 PM
It's kinda like an EULA for your home.
Maradon!
posted 05-04-2003 09:35:42 PM
It's kinda like making black people sign a contract that they'll bleach thier skin before selling them a property.

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Bill ]

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-04-2003 09:37:54 PM
If I ever buy a home, I'll make damned sure that I'm not part of an HA.

[Addendum: I think most of the reasons for HAs is to make sure that everyone's propery value doesn't fall right into the ground. If someone at one end of the block doesn't maintain their house or yard at all, it can deteriorate YOUR property value even if you're on the other end of the block.]

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Rurouni Densetsu ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-04-2003 09:40:21 PM
quote:
Verily, Bill doth proclaim:
It's kinda like making black people sign a contract that they'll bleach thier skin before selling them a property.

Nope, not quite.

It can cover the stuff on the property, and what's done on the property, but that's it. It can't cover the people themselves.

McDonalds can kick you out if you don't follow their rules (shoes, shirt, don't feed the Snootas). Don't want to follow the rules? Then don't go there. Same deal here. But, just as McDonalds CAN'T kick you out due to your race, so a HA can't restrict what kinds of people live there.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 05-04-2003 09:41:21 PM
quote:
How.... Palador ChibiDragon.... uughhhhhh:
Nope, not quite.

It can cover the stuff on the property, and what's done on the property, but that's it. It can't cover the people themselves.

It's still the exact same principle: Using a contract to force someone into your idea of desireable behavior before you'll allow them to purchase a property that you do not own.

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Bill ]

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 09:42:49 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:
I dunno. I'm a country bumpkin.

I'd say, thought, that they'll just another reason to move out into the Colorado Rockies after you make your millions.

Try Montanna...Not enough People in my home state to form a homeowner's association..

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-04-2003 09:43:19 PM
quote:
It's still the exact same principle: Using a contract to force someone into your idea of desireable behavior before you'll allow them to purchase a property that you do not own.

If you don't like it, you can always have the seller of the home install astroturf so that you don't have to worry about doing maintenance.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 05-04-2003 09:44:32 PM
While looking at houses in Tucson, there was one area where the home owners association said you could have no oil on your driveway. I found that to be incredibly anal. If I own a house, I will drip oil if I want!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-04-2003 09:46:59 PM
quote:
Bill had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

True, true. But, at least the rules get applied to everybody evenly.

Still, I wonder how hard it is to break some of those HA contracts? I would love to buy a house in one of those areas, rip it down, and put up a big stone circle right in the middle of their neighborhood.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 05-04-2003 09:50:07 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Palador ChibiDragon wrote:
True, true. But, at least the rules get applied to everybody evenly.

Still, I wonder how hard it is to break some of those HA contracts? I would love to buy a house in one of those areas, rip it down, and put up a big stone circle right in the middle of their neighborhood.

Screw a circle. I would erect a a 50 ft tall stone penis.

(No Pun intended.)

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Arrenn Lightblade ]

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-04-2003 09:52:37 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Arrenn Lightblade stammered:
Screw a circle. I would erect a a 50 ft tall stone penis.

Why? If there's a HA in the area, won't there be enough dicks in the area allready?

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 05-04-2003 10:09:57 PM
Speaking of which, the HOA in the Phoenix area have threaten to do forfeiture of property of people who fail to pay the monthly fees. Sure it's $31 a month, but what is more important the mortgage or the monthly fees? Utility bills or the monthly fees? Food or the Monthly fees? Especially when the economy is tight right now. Bah some of these HOA peeps need a very good swift kick in the ass. Sure HOA is good to have, but it attract too many petty ares hole dictators with delusions of grandeur. Who prolly had their ass beaten too many times in high school and this is their only way to get back. Anywho I'll not buy a HOA home. Too many bylaws and I like to decorate my house the way I want.

oops

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: Freschel Spindrift ]

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Kirane
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 11:08:00 PM
Home Owners is defianlity a good thing.

I live in a neighborhood which is semi-wealthy I'd say. We have a nice lake, nice private two mile parkway which leads to our houses(branchs off into subdivisons), two olympic sized pools etc. All houses are kept clean, cut grass, small fences(no privacy fences allowed), certain shades of paint not allowed on a home. Our neighborhoods almost eight years old and its increased in value almost. Due to upkeep, and sprawling growing places around us. We have a private mowing/upkeep company that cuts all the public grass and plants trees and flowers.

The neighborhood beside us, that doesn't not have a HA is getting to be real bad. About every ten houses, you might see grass uncut for three weeks, broken down cars in the drive ways, boats parked out on the side of the street. They don't upkeep their public property either, their tiny little sign that says their neighborhoods name is now buried in vines and uncut grass. Their neighborhood lowers our value.

None of our HA's demands are horribly restricting. I'm pretty sure you can drip oil in our neighborhood, because my car did a little and no one complained . I enjoy driving though our neighborhood soo much more, because we can't have cars left parked on the street overnight or over six hours I beleive it is. People in the neighborhood beside us leave cars/boats permantly parked on the road, which can cause an accident or failed view of children running out in the street(happened to me a couple times, scarey).

All and all, HA's get my vote.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-04-2003 11:32:05 PM
quote:
Kirane stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

I live in a neighborhood which is semi-wealthy I'd say. We have a nice lake, nice private two mile parkway which leads to our houses(branchs off into subdivisons), two olympic sized pools etc. All houses are kept clean, cut grass, small fences(no privacy fences allowed), certain shades of paint not allowed on a home. Our neighborhoods almost eight years old and its increased in value almost. Due to upkeep, and sprawling growing places around us. We have a private mowing/upkeep company that cuts all the public grass and plants trees and flowers.

The neighborhood beside us, that doesn't not have a HA is getting to be real bad. About every ten houses, you might see grass uncut for three weeks, broken down cars in the drive ways, boats parked out on the side of the street. They don't upkeep their public property either, their tiny little sign that says their neighborhoods name is now buried in vines and uncut grass. Their neighborhood lowers our value.

None of our HA's demands are horribly restricting. I'm pretty sure you can drip oil in our neighborhood, because my car did a little and no one complained . I enjoy driving though our neighborhood soo much more, because we can't have cars left parked on the street overnight or over six hours I beleive it is. People in the neighborhood beside us leave cars/boats permantly parked on the road, which can cause an accident or failed view of children running out in the street(happened to me a couple times, scarey).

All and all, HA's get my vote.

Parked cars on the side of the road are something that are beginning to get to me. You can't see the street before you pull out of my parking lot because of vans in the way. I had a panhandler jump in front of my car before I could leave the driveway becuase he was hiding behind a van. Just two weeks ago a child was hit pretty bad by a car trying to leave my parking lot. I don't have a HA, and I'd personaly love it if people would get together and clean up my area. However, on the same note, I have to ask - what prevents the HA from overstepping their bounds, or making rules to harm someone they don't like.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-04-2003 11:34:53 PM
I can see the value of a HA, but I wouldn't want to live under one.

I HAVE seen some pretty horrendously-decorated homes... hell, homes that go just beyond laziness into the realm of the absurd. Junk and crap thrown into front lawns, outhouses in the inner city (what the fuck), half-done ponds that remained as such for four years, giant, open compost heaps and, uh, chickens. Yeah, someone was keeping chickens under their porch. It was weird. I could see how that would detract from the neighborhood around it, but...

I also place great value on personal freedoms, and this seems to take away from it. If you don't like your neighbor's decor, you're always free to move away, or even better, speak to them in person about it rather than get legal on their ass. I assume when I eventually get a house I'm going to do some freaky things to it (I'm gloriously overdramatic; expect dreamy, dark landscapes and a backyard waterfall or something). I figure, as long as you keep it up what you do on your own property is your own damn business.

So... I could see the logic there, but if you get too draconian with it it just becomes absurd.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 11:37:41 PM
quote:
Yeah, someone was keeping chickens under their porch.

God damn it Drysart, we've told you about those chickens. That's a breach of contract; get the hell outta here!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-04-2003 11:41:07 PM
As much as a house could look bad...If it's my house I want to do what ever I danm well please.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-04-2003 11:43:24 PM
quote:
Verily, Peter doth proclaim:
As much as a house could look bad...If it's my house I want to do what ever I danm well please.

I'd love to see you say that when you try to SELL your house.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 05-05-2003 12:02:37 AM
quote:
Peter was listening to Cher while typing:

Then don't live in a community with an association. Simple as that.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-05-2003 12:03:48 AM
quote:
Rurouni Densetsu had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I'd love to see you say that when you try to SELL your house.

If My house was bad looking and I tried to sell it like that, then I deserve to get hosed for being a Idiot..but when I am living it it and want to park my car in the drive way, or paint my house Neon Fucking gren, or fence it in 10ft stockade fencing I should be able to do so, it my property to do as I see fit...but if I am going to sell it, well I will take the fencing, and repaint the house if I want to get a good deal on it.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 05-05-2003 12:04:03 AM
quote:
Bill had this to say about Optimus Prime:

It's nothing like the exact same principle. Your principle is here. THe other is in Cleveland. Watching an Indians game.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Maradon!
posted 05-05-2003 12:04:21 AM
quote:
Kirane stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

If you agree with them 100% on every issue they enforce, but of course if that's the case then your house would be that way even without communists telling you what to do with it.

Unless it's a health or public safety hazard, what other people's property looks like is no business of yours. I'd readily tolerate uncut grass and broken down cars in yards if it meant I was free to do whatever the hell I want with property I own.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-05-2003 12:06:29 AM
quote:
Bill had this to say:
I was free to do whatever the hell I want with property I own.

Pay the mortgage off.

Then you can say that.

Maradon!
posted 05-05-2003 12:07:58 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Pirotess:
Pay the mortgage off.

Then you can say that.

If banks were going around telling people what to do with property, then you'd have a point

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: