EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Homeowners Associations
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-05-2003 08:29:36 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Pirotess:
My main question is, are all of the terms of the homeowner's association made clear at the time you purchase your home? Or do they pass off their rules and regulations as "a few things here and there" while secretly preparing to rid you of anal viriginity?

Failure of the seller to adequately disclose the full terms of the property is probably pretty good grounds for some sort of a lawsuit against said seller.

Failure of the buyer to adequately perform due diligence in checking out what they're buying is their own damn fault.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-07-2003 02:21:35 AM
If you ask, the seller or realtor has to, legally, tell you. That's why it's better to get an independent inspector to check out the house for defects, and to carefully read over the contract and get a lawyer to explain it to you completely (shouldn't run you more than 500 bucks for the two) before signing over any money.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Saint George
Pancake
posted 05-07-2003 02:50:18 AM
quote:
Judge Orders Couple To Pull Up Carpet From Front Lawn

POSTED: 8:37 a.m. EDT May 6, 2003
PORT RICHEY, Fla. -- A Florida judge has ordered a retired couple to pull up their carpet -- from their front yard. Steve and Mildred Nadwairski have covered their lawn with multicolored swatches, because they say they've had no luck with grass seed or landscape logs. They also say spending $250 for sod is too much.

Steve Nadwairski says he didn't think it was written anywhere that you couldn't have carpet on your front lawn. But, it turns out Pasco County in western Florida has an ordinance forbidding the collection of "public nuisance items" such as junk cars and appliances.

A prosecutor says old carpet fits the bill.

The neighbors seemed to be pleased with the ruling. One says the carpeting -- which is wet all the time -- looks "nasty."

Another reason why HOA's exist; to prevent things like this.

[ 05-07-2003: Message edited by: Saint George ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-07-2003 03:11:39 AM
quote:
Saint George's account was hax0red to write:
Another reason why HOA's exist; to prevent things like this.

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen to take someone to court over.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-07-2003 03:24:04 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote this stupid crap:
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen to take someone to court over.

Oh yeah? Well, I'll take YOU to court for thinking that's stupid! That, by definition, will have to be even stupider!

...what?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-07-2003 04:35:29 AM
I think HA's have their place, but it's like a row of dominoes. Live in a development, and there's probably a HA. Depending on how restrictive it is, you may or may not want to follow it. However:

1. The further out into the country (away from subdivisions and incorporated developments), the tech level available (cable modems, etc) drops off sharply.
2. Developments have higher likelihood of higher tech levels.
3. Developments have HA's.

So...in some places if you want the tasty tech at an affordable price, you're probably going to be stuck in a development, which means you'll likely be stuck with some form of homeowner's association. For the record, though, most HA's aren't the "worst case scenario" horror stories we're hearing about in this thread.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 05-07-2003 04:48:27 AM
Meridian sure has his panties in a twist and is acting like a drunken Parce with half the wit and brains.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-07-2003 05:11:08 AM
I thought Meridian was a chica IRL

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 05-07-2003 05:11:55 AM
Who knows. Whatever it is, it keeps attacking Maradon for no reason. Though Maradon ignored it.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Meridian
Pancake
posted 05-07-2003 05:43:50 AM
quote:
it keeps attacking Maradon for no reason

It does?

Didn't know stating my own opinion was attacking someone. I though I'd tried pretty hard not to make it personal, but hey, I'm just a chica in RL. What do I know

I'll go back to lurking until I find out what's causing the wad in my panties. Thanks for alerting me to it.

[ 05-07-2003: Message edited by: Meridian ]

Meridian Ascendant
Lacking a witty sig-phrase since 2001.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 05-07-2003 05:48:12 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Meridian was all like:
Thanks for alerting me to it.

Welcome.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 05-07-2003 10:40:51 AM
Even without HAs, you also have to deal with your local government, which can act the same way.

My mother wants a privacy fence, since the little kids from th house behind us keep throwing thier ball in our yard, and since our backyard has several plants that if eaten, are poisonous, and we also have a tiny 3ft pond, she doesn't want anyone to drown by little kids climbing over the fence.

The City will not let her do it without the exact same hoops you would have to jump thourgh for an HA - and they have poeple that walk around, just to make sure you don't do anything like changing your fence, even if you are replacing the broken, old, tied together picket fence with a new, pretty, perfect picket fence that is the same size. The way my mom got around it was "replacing" a sectiopn at a time... Like she was repairing it.

The city also makes it's own homeowner assoc., So sometimes, it's law, not choice. With that, if my mother wanted to replace the back porch (which is pretty damned sad right now) she would have to get the ok from the city, and 3 building inspectors, AND all ofour neighbors.

So sometimes, you don't have to even be in an HA.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-07-2003 10:52:14 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Gikkwiny said:
*SNIP*

That is what I like about living in the country.

A few years back we built a barn. It looks nice and is nestled back into the woods a bit.

About halfway through the construction a guy came out from the county and told us we had to stop and tear it down because we didn't have the proper permits and the land wasn't zoned as a farm. Apperently you have to be an actual farm to have a barn in this area.

My reply to him was a very strait forward explination of where he could shove the clipboard he had. And the offer to help him along with that if he didn't leave. He threatened to call the county sherrif, this made me laugh since I am good friends with the police in my area. I offered him the Sherrifs home number and said f he wanted I could pass on his messege saturday when I went shooting with the department.

It is amazing how a person can almost deflate. =)
Well the barn has been up 4 years. Not a word has been said about it by anyone except a few that have commented on how nice it was.

Perhaps it is where I live, perhaps it is my conservative views. Or perhaps it is just common sense. But I feel that I have the right to do what I wish on my property as long as I am not causing harm to other people. Now when you build a house or something I can see needing permits for some things. You have to be hooked up to Water, electric, phone, etc. All this needs to be recorded to some extent and it has to be done properly. This is the idea behind permits. However some things just go to far. And there comes a point when people need to put thier foot down and rip through the red tape.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-07-2003 05:33:23 PM
A barn sounds like an awesome place to store terrorist supplies.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Burger
BANNED!
posted 05-07-2003 05:43:00 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? spewed forth this undeniable truth:
A barn sounds like an awesome place to store terrorist supplies.

naw, my shed works fine.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-07-2003 06:20:12 PM
Jesus Gikk, what sort of Neo-Nazi city do you live in? My dad's changed our fence before, and we had a shed installed in our backyard, and we've made other changes to things here and nobody's ever said a peep about anything. I can't imagine living someplace where we'd need that sort of permission just to replace our privacy fence with a smaller one my dad built.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-07-2003 08:52:49 PM
quote:
Meridian stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
until I find out what's causing the wad in my panties

Sadly, I don't think I had anything to do with it.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 05-07-2003 10:05:52 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Duck Tales:
Jesus Gikk, what sort of Neo-Nazi city do you live in?

This kind.

And Neo-Nazi is right... This is one of the most bigoted towns I've ever seen in my life... 8 banks, 12 churches, just over 9000 people...

Everyone's white. And the confederate flag is promiinate here, plus where they write "no niggers past this point" on the road in black spraypaint on the roads into town... Bet that dropped land value.

quote:
New houses or garage constructions, additions or alterations
Storage buildings or tool sheds
Patios, patio covers and decks
Air conditioning and heating systems
Building demolition
Digging in city right-of-ways
Electrical work
Fences
Swimming pools
Satellite dishes
Parking lots
Siding on building
Sewer and water taps
Sign installation

[ 05-07-2003: Message edited by: Gikkwiny ]

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-07-2003 10:35:02 PM
There's a big difference between PA and ohio.

The second you transfer over to the Ohio turnpike from the PA turnpike, it becomes absolutely flat, and absolutely straight.

They have nothing better to do then to fret about houses.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: