EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: == New Forum For All War Threads ==
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-29-2003 02:45:39 PM
War Discussion Forum

Effective immediately, all war-related threads should be made in that forum, not this forum. Any such threads made in this forum will be closed.

Complaints can be emailed to your mom.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-29-2003 02:46:16 PM
FIRST POST!!!!
Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-29-2003 02:47:51 PM
I support this.

Sorry about snapping at you in the other thread Drys...

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Nina
posted 03-29-2003 02:54:20 PM
I win!
Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-29-2003 02:58:48 PM
So, who's going to hang out there?

1. Azizza
2. ?

and drys, I nominate Azizza for Mod of that forum, just for comic purposes!

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-29-2003 03:03:36 PM
So does this mean you're making a Warcraft 3 beta forum? Those threads keep popping up.

Or what about a FOMAC forum? We can't go two days it seems without seeing another pointless one of those.

We've had a lot of people asking for tech support lately. Are you going to make a separate forum for those and forbid that on the main boards as well?

Where is the line drawn between what's allowable discussion and what's not?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 03-29-2003 03:05:37 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael was listening to Cher while typing:

'The line' is whatever Bigger D says it is.

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: D ]

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:07:28 PM
That's why I'm asking for clarification. War threads aren't the only threads in abundance lately, so I wish to know if we're going to see more separation in the future for those thread subjects that do become prevalent.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-29-2003 03:08:04 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Lyinar Ka`Bael said this:
So does this mean you're making a Warcraft 3 beta forum? Those threads keep popping up.

Or what about a FOMAC forum? We can't go two days it seems without seeing another pointless one of those.

We've had a lot of people asking for tech support lately. Are you going to make a separate forum for those and forbid that on the main boards as well?

Analogy time!!!

Let's say the the forums are like Drysart's home. He's the MAN of the house, and he makes the rules.

Now let's pretend that the house of ill repute is like the living room. He's seen a problem with his guests, and has added a new room to the house to accomodate them. So, in order to get some use out of this new room, he creates this new rule:

"Stop shitting on my living room rug, go crap in the can!"

Can you see clearly now, is the rain gone?

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:12:50 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote this stupid crap:
Or what about a FOMAC forum?

I support this! Thanks Lyinar!

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-29-2003 03:13:57 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by The Burger:

Analogy time!!!

Let's say the the forums are like Drysart's home. He's the MAN of the house, and he makes the rules.

Now let's pretend that the house of ill repute is like the living room. He's seen a problem with his guests, and has added a new room to the house to accomodate them. So, in order to get some use out of this new room, he creates this new rule:

"Stop shitting on my living room rug, go crap in the can!"

Can you see clearly now, is the rain gone?

Stop trying to pretend like you are a big dog, Burger. Stop trying to jump on other people with the pack. It doesnt work for you.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-29-2003 03:15:17 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about (_|_):

Stop trying to pretend like you are a big dog, Burger. Stop trying to jump on other people with the pack. It doesnt work for you.

okay mister, then what DOES work for me? HUH?

If you're so smart, tell me what my online persona should have said!

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-29-2003 03:17:16 PM
quote:
The Burger Model 2000 was programmed to say:
okay mister, then what DOES work for me? HUH?

If you're so smart, tell me what my online persona should have said!

You're TRYING to be cool, and TRYING to become "accepted" by people that act like jerks. I don't see the appeal in that.

Suddar
posted 03-29-2003 03:17:52 PM
I hope this doesn't become the norm.

I can understand the desire for a "war" forum because it's a touchy subject. I just don't want to see the forums split up between 20 so it has to be policed and if somebody posts something that even slightly ties into any other forum it'll get locked/moved.

Nina
posted 03-29-2003 03:18:02 PM
Hint: Title.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:22:01 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Suddar said:
I hope this doesn't become the norm.

I can understand the desire for a "war" forum because it's a touchy subject. I just don't want to see the forums split up between 20 so it has to be policed and if somebody posts something that even slightly ties into any other forum it'll get locked/moved.

I don't either. I'd rather see increased moderation in a touchy thread and if something is getting hot, rather than just locking it and leaving the flames there to be picked and fumed over, just editing the flaming part of a post out and allowing a discussion to continue.

We're not going to learn to respect each other and to even be able to discuss in a positive manner if nobody's ever called on things when they get nasty.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:24:26 PM
What if it were just one forum used as sort of a situational board?

The war isn't going to last forever, but by the time it's over, something else equally big will have popped up. We can simply change the forum again.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:27:01 PM
But that opens the question of why need a separate forum at all? It's obviously something on people's minds, if the subject keeps popping up. It's something they want to talk about. Isn't it better to make them control what they say and be polite while expressing opinions rather than delegating all discussion to a board nobody is going to use anyway and which probably won't be moderated at all, or only slimly?

Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-29-2003 03:28:42 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Falaanla Marr:

You're TRYING to be cool, and TRYING to become "accepted" by people that act like jerks. I don't see the appeal in that.

no dice.

you apparently know how I should behave, so, tell me, what should I have said? Word for word.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:28:56 PM
It's not particularly easy to control peoples' emotions on such a touchy subject.

Some people care, some don't, some voice their opinions about either side. Things get said, replies are made, and it spirals out of control.

It's almost impossible for people to be calm, rational and logical about their fellows getting killed.

Suddar
posted 03-29-2003 03:30:54 PM
quote:
The Burger had this to say about Duck Tales:
no dice.

you apparently know how I should behave, so, tell me, what should I have said? Word for word.

Something about naked women and you masturbating.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-29-2003 03:31:03 PM
You can please some of the people....
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:31:57 PM
quote:
Trillee thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
You can please some of the people....

But you can't please all of the nudists.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-29-2003 03:32:45 PM
quote:
Iron Parcelan had this to say about (_|_):
But you can't please all of the nudists.

Shame that.. =(

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:34:04 PM
You can't control people's emotions, but you *can* make them stay polite. Even if you have to edit every word they say, you can get the message across that people should be polite. We've done it before in threads where a mod popped in and said "Hey, behave".

I think that goes much farther toward fostering respect among everyone than simply ignoring it and fobbing it off on another board.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:35:56 PM
We've been used to being free of edits, and I like it that way. I've seen forums where every other word is editted.

I prefer being able to speak my mind and not have it altered because I wasn't polite enough.

If people still flame, and their words are just editted, they won't stop. It'll just make them resentful towards the Mods.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-29-2003 03:39:40 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael's account was hax0red to write:

It's right where I say it is, like always. Being an evil Dicktator™, I don't have to give justification for my actions, as they are beyond reproach.

I moved a topic I no longer care to see in the main forum off into its own forum. This shouldn't be a surprise, my right to act unilaterally has been in the rules probably as long as you've been here.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-29-2003 03:41:07 PM
Oy, another seperate forum...
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Sinice Aralund
Pancake
posted 03-29-2003 03:41:22 PM
The subject of the war pops up consistantly, in negative ways.

I'm sorry, but FOMAC and Warcraft III are hardly comparable to actual war. Besides, FOMAC and Warcraft III havn't exactly led to many (if any) flamewars.

A great deal of person, emotional, and politcal views conflict during a war. A lot of the threads consistantly pop up with flames, and end up getting locked.
Move them to another forum, just be done with it.

Besides, asking the Mods to "edit" the flaming part out of a person's post is asking a wee bit too much, I think, besides, it would require the Mod using far too much personal judgement.

All in all, I don't see that much of a problem... I know you, Lyinar, post actual discussion threads, and those are good, but a lot of people just post little "haw haw we bombed Saddam's home stupid ragheads" threads.

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: Sinice Aralund ]

She cried out in a loud voice, "Mother, into your hands I commend my spirit";
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:41:39 PM
Not true. You've seen in practice here when a mod comes in and edits a post or even just tells everyone to quit, they behave.

And it doesn't have to be major edits. The main point could still be kept, just the insult or the nastiness cut out. The person would still be free to say what they want, the manner would just be altered a bit.

And you see what we've turned into getting used to no edits. People don't respect each other around here. People take cheap shots and are nasty and snide. Don't we want to change that? We don't have to be all touchy feely, but it would be nice to be able to talk to everyone and not have to worry if you're going to get sniped at, wouldn't it?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-29-2003 03:41:42 PM
quote:
Iron Parcelan impressed everyone with:
It's not particularly easy to control peoples' emotions on such a touchy subject.

Some people care, some don't, some voice their opinions about either side. Things get said, replies are made, and it spirals out of control.

It's almost impossible for people to be calm, rational and logical about their fellows getting killed.

Gotta agree with Parce on this one. War is a topic where flames are more likely than most. Putting it off into its own little corner now may save the main board from a major meltdown in the near future.

Setting aside most other topics (however common) is easily enough done with the tags. Most other topics have far less chance to burst into flame.

Besides, it's easy enough to click over to the War Forum to check on it. Not only that, but by heading there and looking for new threads, it's a quick way for me to find out if there have been any serious developments while I've been at work. (12 hour factory shifts, I don't really know what's going on in the world till I get home.)

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 03-29-2003 03:44:05 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Complaints can be emailed to your mom.

I find it humorous that this thread is chock full of complaints after that comment.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:44:47 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Sinice Aralund wrote:
The subject of the war pops up consistantly, in negative ways.

I'm sorry, but FOMAC and Warcraft III are hardly comparable to actual war. Besides, FOMAC and Warcraft III havn't exactly led to many (if any) flamewars.

A great deal of person, emotional, and politcal views conflict during a war. A lot of the threads consistantly pop up with flames, and end up getting locked.
Move them to another forum, just be done with it.

Besides, asking the Mods to "edit" the flaming part out of a person's post is asking a wee bit too much, I think, besides, it would require the Mod using far too much personal judgement.

All in all, I don't see that much of a problem... I know you post actual discussion threads, and those are good, but a lot of people just post little "haw haw we bombed Saddam's home stupid ragheads" threads.

Why do they become negative, though? Because no one is telling people when they go too far. I would be fine with the mods using a bit of personal judgment. If they see something that now would get a thread locked, why not just edit that bit out? They're locking threads now and the venom is just left for people to see. Isn't it better to eliminate it entirely so it can't be rehashed later, or brought up in other threads?

Nina
posted 03-29-2003 03:45:32 PM
The Dicktator™ has spoken and fuck me sideways if crusading against it will change anything!
Ocyrrhoe Trazere
Bootylicious!!
posted 03-29-2003 03:49:24 PM
Eh, I think it's a good idea.
"Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you."

Full sigpic image.
Liam - "Caitlin: You terrify me, but in a good way."

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 03:49:56 PM
quote:
Gydfather stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

I find it humorous that this thread is chock full of complaints after that comment.

Drysart is fully within his rights to renege my posting rights or ban me if he chooses. I hope he doesn't, of course. I am trying to be polite with everything and just bring up a point of view that he might not have considered when making the decision. I strongly feel that this movement will just make things worse instead of improving them, and I wanted to bring that option to his attention for his consideration.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 03:51:55 PM
If I keep posting on this track, I will likely degenerate into flaming. In the interests of not doing that, and because I'm a little tired of it, I will close with the following:

I support the idea of a situational forum. It could spare us a lot of angst in exchange for not much than slightly altering the status quo.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-29-2003 03:52:34 PM
Why am I not suprised...
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-29-2003 03:54:06 PM
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Ocyrrhoe Trazere
Bootylicious!!
posted 03-29-2003 03:55:23 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about John Romero:

Drysart is fully within his rights to renege my posting rights or ban me if he chooses. I hope he doesn't, of course. I am trying to be polite with everything and just bring up a point of view that he might not have considered when making the decision. I strongly feel that this movement will just make things worse instead of improving them, and I wanted to bring that option to his attention for his consideration.

Is there some need you feel to speak out for the underspoken? If they felt strongly enough about it, I'm pretty sure they'd say something about it themselves.

"Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you."

Full sigpic image.
Liam - "Caitlin: You terrify me, but in a good way."

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: