EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: == New Forum For All War Threads ==
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-29-2003 08:55:32 PM
quote:
Drysart stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Yes but how is it different than what you're saying moderators should do now, since you're asking moderators to step in and calm personal disputes?

I missed this before. The difference is that I'm just asking for a minor edit, or a polite request that they stop. If there's an insult in a discussion, just edit out the insult, but keep the rest, etc. Or if things are getting heated, just stepping in and saying something like "Hey guys, let's try to keep this civil, okay?" Setting an example of being polite and civil themselves, but being firm so they could regain the respect they should have as mods.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-29-2003 09:01:23 PM
I personally feel that the mods have handled things very well recently and frankly don't care who they are as long as they do their job.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 03-29-2003 09:10:11 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
That's why I'm asking for clarification. War threads aren't the only threads in abundance lately, so I wish to know if we're going to see more separation in the future for those thread subjects that do become prevalent.

I think threads about tech support don't rouse as much rabble

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 09:12:03 PM
Neither do the war threads if people just stay civil in them and are made to stay civil.

Lookit this one. Touchy subject, good discussion, no flamewar. War threads would be a breeze after this one

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-29-2003 09:25:43 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I missed this before. The difference is that I'm just asking for a minor edit, or a polite request that they stop. If there's an insult in a discussion, just edit out the insult, but keep the rest, etc. Or if things are getting heated, just stepping in and saying something like "Hey guys, let's try to keep this civil, okay?" Setting an example of being polite and civil themselves, but being firm so they could regain the respect they should have as mods.

So what if they don't do what the mods say?

Shouldthey be banned?

Wouldn't that be exactly what you were against?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-29-2003 09:31:09 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Gikkwiny!
So what if they don't do what the mods say?

Shouldthey be banned?

Wouldn't that be exactly what you were against?

Of course not. That's far too drastic. I believe in giving more than one chance. My belief is only ban when it's the absolute last choice and you see they aren't going to change. That's not to say everyone works that way, but I don't like to be hasty in decisions.

So if they didn't listen, then the mod might repeat things a little more firmly. Or make careful edits. If it kept continuing, although I really don't think we have anyone *that* stupid, then a more drastic measure could be taken.

Just to give an example, I have a three warnings rule in my RP and chat rooms. Troublemaker comes in, I say quit. I say quit again. I say quit a third time. I may voice everyone next and moderate the channel. If they find a way around that, I give them a temp ban and kick them.

You can't do that on a message board, of course. But that's the sort of thing I mean. A progression of punishment sort of thing.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-29-2003 10:25:28 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Lyinar Ka`Bael said this:
Of course not. That's far too drastic. I believe in giving more than one chance. My belief is only ban when it's the absolute last choice and you see they aren't going to change. That's not to say everyone works that way, but I don't like to be hasty in decisions.

So if they didn't listen, then the mod might repeat things a little more firmly. Or make careful edits. If it kept continuing, although I really don't think we have anyone *that* stupid, then a more drastic measure could be taken.

Just to give an example, I have a three warnings rule in my RP and chat rooms. Troublemaker comes in, I say quit. I say quit again. I say quit a third time. I may voice everyone next and moderate the channel. If they find a way around that, I give them a temp ban and kick them.

You can't do that on a message board, of course. But that's the sort of thing I mean. A progression of punishment sort of thing.

I thought we had something like that.

Was called, 'blacklisting.'

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-29-2003 10:33:41 PM
For the record, I'm completely opposed to thought control through mods editing others' posts to enforce some bullshit politeness standard.

If someone can't hang in a heated or forceful argument without going postal, they should accept their personal limitations and either move on or work to learn self-restraint.

If someone can't help themselves but violate the rules at every turn, they should be banned, no questions asked and good riddance.

If someone is offended at the least mention that the entire universe and every living thing in it doesn't agree with them, they should wake up and smell reality before setting their browser permanently to Disney's home page.

Argument is good. Conflict is good. Follow the rules, and all will be well.

What difference does it make that war threads have been moved? There's already a forum for Anime.

So. . .I will continue to oppose any suggestion that some mod should sweep through the forums with his Barney hat on editing people's posts to be "non-offensive," whatever that's supposed to mean.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-29-2003 11:34:00 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:
If there's an insult in a discussion, just edit out the insult, but keep the rest, etc.

GESTOPO!

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-29-2003 11:41:29 PM
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM! I'M TRYING TO PISS HERE!
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-29-2003 11:57:33 PM
Bloodsage brings with him the sulphorous odor of the flames of Acheron.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-30-2003 12:00:20 AM
quote:
Iron Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:
Bloodsage brings with him the sulphorous odor of the flames of Acheron.

Yeah, but in his case it's dietary.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-30-2003 12:02:26 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:
Yeah, but in his case it's dietary.

I think it's his deodorant: 'Acheron Sport'.

nem-x
posted 03-30-2003 01:35:00 AM
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 03-30-2003 12:22:32 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 03:08:31 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael Model 2000 was programmed to say:

I disagree completely. I can't imagine anything more annoying than having something edited out of your post because a mod thought it might be conceived as a veiled insult toward person X. Can you imagine how annoying it would be to read Bloodsage's arguments? Can you imagine how unfunny Parce's parodies would be because they would have all the little jibes at people taken out? What about when someone's acting like a moron and everyone let's that person know? "Oh no! He called him a dumbass! Let's replace that mean word with a flower!"

And you know every single one of those would be edited because there has to be a standard. Otherwise you get cries of favoritism and people saying, "You edited my post, but you didn't edit http://forums.evercrest.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=replay&f=19t, http://forums.evercrest.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=replay&f=28c, or http://forums.evercrest.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=replay&f=12312!! How dare you!"

I haven't even noticed insults as being an issue on this board. I can think of very, very few instances where people have stepped over the line without a thread being locked. Pretty much every insult is really quite humorous. I suggest you adapt and get "thicker skin," as you called it.

EDIT: How about you put in a bad word filter that edits out bad things like "hate" and "pestachio?" That way, you can keep this board a happy place!

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: Taeldian ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-30-2003 03:35:12 PM
quote:
Taeldian obviously shouldn't have said:
Pretty much every insult is really quite humorous. I suggest you adapt and get "thicker skin," as you called it.

And you refuse to see the point. Funny for you. Funny for the person who made the joke. Funny for the target of the joke?

But the target of the joke doesn't matter, I guess, because *you* thought it was funny, and nobody exists on this earth but you? Nobody can have something cut to the bone because if they do they're weak and they need "thicker skin"?

And I'm not even talking about myself. I don't give a damn what jibes are made at me. But were you ever the little kid, or even big kid, who got picked on, teased, ridiculed and reviled just because people could do it to you? If you were, then why would you wish that on someone else?

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 03:53:19 PM
I am the person who gets teased, made fun of, etc. So are all my friends (In real life, not here). We know how to roll with the punches. Life is more enjoyable if you don't get offended by every little thing someone says to you.

The difference between the example you gave and the reality of what goes on here is that they're all jokes here. People aren't going out of their way to spit on you and shun you. They're just poking fun. Everybody does it, and the people who feel victimized by it need to get over it. If someone feels bad because they can't handle Parcelan's jokes (Which generally aren't that bad anyway), they do need to get thicker skin. I can't imagine how people who can't handle Parcelan, of all people, can function in the real world.

So I'll say it again. Get thicker skin. Life will be much more enjoyable if you aren't fretting over every little thing someone says.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-30-2003 04:26:09 PM
Enough people couldn't handle Parcelan's jokes that he's as much in Drysart's black books as I am, apparently. Maybe that indicates there really is a problem. Or was, since he's much better lately.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-31-2003 04:53:33 AM
I agree. The new parcelan is much more cuddly soft. Can we keep him?
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 03-31-2003 05:32:35 AM
I emailed my complaint to my mom and she didn't care

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: Kinanik ]

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-31-2003 10:11:51 AM
quote:
So quoth Falaanla Marr:
I agree. The new parcelan is much more cuddly soft. Can we keep him?

You must choose.

The old Parcelan was cruel and malicious, but the new Parcelan craps on your pillow.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 03-31-2003 01:02:34 PM
hmmmm, That would explain the bad taste in my mouth.
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 04-08-2003 08:38:55 PM
I Can't Believe It's Not Sigtest!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: