EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: We have to pay more now?
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-25-2002 12:43:59 PM
quote:
Due to the increased costs of running the EverQuest game service, we will be increasing our subscription rates in April. Effective April 25, the new monthly subscription rate will be $12.95/month. We will continue to offer discounts from the new rate plan on multi-month subscriptions. You don’t have to do a thing; you will automatically be migrated to the new billing structure under your current subscription plan when your current subscription plan expires.

New EverQuest rates as of April 25, 2002:

$12.95 per Month
$35.85 for 3 Months

$65.70 for 6 Months
HOWEVER, for a limited time only (from April 10 through April 24, 2002), you may extend your current subscription for an additional 12 or 24 months by signing up for the new EQ 12 or 24 month plan – and reap great savings off of the new rates:

Extend for 12 months for $109 US – and get a 30% discount off of the new monthly rates!

Extend for 24 months for $190 US – and get a 39% discount off of the new monthly rates!

Now is the time to lock in these rates, so don’t miss out.

All pricing plans (except for the 12 and 24 month extension plans) are recurring, meaning you will continue to be billed at the appropriate interval, until you cancel your subscription. Note that purchasers of the full game will receive their free month of game play after supplying valid billing information. If you cancel your subscription during the free month, no charges will be made to your credit card.

New York State and Texas residents will be charged sales tax.

All subscription fees will appear on your credit card statement under the heading "SOE*EverQuest".

Please note:

The subscription charges are in addition to the cost of the game. You will need to purchase a copy of the game from a retail store or online at the Station Store. The price of the game will vary depending upon the store.

I hope that they are going to give better customer service with this, or I might actually go for Dark Age of Camelot.

nem-x
posted 03-25-2002 12:46:00 PM
Wow, talk about being evil
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-25-2002 12:46:00 PM
bleff... extra two bucks.. *sighs*
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-25-2002 12:48:09 PM
three.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-25-2002 12:50:18 PM
ONO THREE DOLLARS

who cares.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-25-2002 12:51:40 PM
Ew three ok =P
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 03-25-2002 12:52:52 PM
Yea, that's right, i came here to flame about just this actually...

/flame on

WHAT THE FUCKING HELL ARE THESE ASSES THINKING?

Now they are getting 40-50 bucks a pop for people on Stormhammer, Going to get big bucks from PoP, are still making big bucks from previous expansions, and of course the mandatory 10 bucks tht they get from every account normally (20 from me)... What the fuk more do they need?

/flame off

Ok thats enough of that, i was just ripped 23k server-server by a trusted guildie/friend , so I needed that

Moo.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-25-2002 12:52:56 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Black Mage was all like:
ONO THREE DOLLARS

who cares.

Four accounts = 12 extra dollars out of my dad's wallet per month. My family plays the game, and my dad isn't too happy about the change in price.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-25-2002 12:54:01 PM
If you can afford 3 accounts you can afford 12 more dollars. Just pull it from other things, like food, drink, heat, etc. EQ IS MORE IMPORTANT!

Skaw
posted 03-25-2002 12:54:23 PM
About fixing it and giving us what we've paid for previously before increasing cost. Infact, I'm gonna mail that to them.
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 03-25-2002 12:56:00 PM
And they really need better CS... And less banning, I got my stinkin first account banned because my sister used a "trainer"... Now they say "You ran faster for two minutes, so we must ban you."

[Edit: And, two bucks is alot when you only get 8 bucks a week... I'm down to about 3 total taking EQ money out... I dont want it to go down MORE for crying out loud! Even us people w/o a social life need some spending cash]

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: YummyMorsel ]

Moo.
Maradon!
posted 03-25-2002 12:57:51 PM
DAoC is still 10.95 a month, btw.

I notice that the usual people are rushing to defend Verant from even the slightest criticism.

Wierd, when AOL did this everybody called them greedy sons of bitches

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-25-2002 12:58:44 PM
Get a job ya bum.

Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 03-25-2002 12:59:52 PM
O, i forgot, i'll have tom cancel my second account now, cause the $3 will only allow me to get one... Thanks Verant
Moo.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-25-2002 01:05:55 PM
Looks like it's finally tiem to cancel EQ. I only play to powerlevel my best friend, anyway.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-25-2002 01:06:45 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Maradön? wrote:
Wierd, when AOL did this everybody called them greedy sons of bitches

Cus they are? What?

Skaw
posted 03-25-2002 01:09:54 PM
I blame this on their failed attempt to leech money from Legends.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-25-2002 01:16:29 PM
Funny how it's being raised after a fan fair...

tsk tsk

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 01:16:59 PM
6 accounts, that's 18 more a month....

These fucktards had better fix something major for this increase. They've already got people pissed with the PoP release being so soon after a FAILED SoL release.... This isn't going to help anything.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ryuujin
posted 03-25-2002 01:18:16 PM
goes to buy up 3 month game cards
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-25-2002 01:18:59 PM
SoL failed?

news to me... but then again, I'm always half in my own little world anyways.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-25-2002 01:19:22 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
a FAILED SoL release

I hear so many people bitching about SoL sux0ring. Explain.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-25-2002 01:21:17 PM
It sold, but failed. At least, in most peoples eyes. They failed to deliver many things.

But don't start bitching about how 'OMG THEY'RE RELEASING AN EXPANSION WITHOUT FIXING SOL!' because it's ignorant. They have two teams, and, PoP has been in the works before Luclin was even gold.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-25-2002 01:23:05 PM
I just don't like the fact my computer has a hard time running EQ now.

I can't play up on Luclin cuz it drops my frame right. (I'm talking one step with sow every 3 seconds or more) I also have to log out of the game and reboot my computer if i was to switch chars, or my frame rate will drop.

EQ and my cpu just don't like eachother anymore.

And I'm gunna be paying 3 extra bucks a month to play it, instead of saving for a new set up that will allow me to play with out problems...

Mightion Defensor
posted 03-25-2002 01:28:06 PM
quote:
Aanile had this to say about Punky Brewster:
SoL failed?

news to me... but then again, I'm always half in my own little world anyways.

I can name three things we were promised in SoL that we haven't seen yet:

1. More visible pieces of armor
2. The new interface
3. The Bazaar functionality

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 01:28:47 PM
I'm sorry, I thought I was playing SoL on December 4th, 2001.... But PoP went into production Jan 2002? Try that one again.

SoL didn't deliver on a good chunk of things advertised and on the ones that it did deliver on, a fair number are bugged.

SoL has had the most 'issues' of any expansion to date. They still have issues with RoK things that they're not fixing because "Dev 1" is working on SoL and "Dev 2" is working on PoP.

From a Customer Service standpoint, "Dev 1" should be working on SoL, "Dev 2" should be working on SoV, RoK and Oldworld. When these are cleaned up, THEN you go forward with new expansions. Right now this is all greed and stupidity on the part of Marketing. Especially on top of the rate hike that they're introducing now.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-25-2002 01:31:17 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I'm sorry, I thought I was playing SoL on December 4th, 2001.... But PoP went into production Jan 2002? Try that one again.
The website and all that shit was registered before Luclin went gold. So they were planning ahead, which is a good thing, because maybe now they'll deliver what they promised. Those bastards.

Drive through.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 03-25-2002 01:32:39 PM
The same exact conversation has happened with every released expansion.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-25-2002 01:34:01 PM
quote:
Comrade_Snoota Model 2000 was programmed to say:

YAES> THIS SI TREU!!?/z

The Snoota is correct

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 01:36:25 PM
I can register and hold a domain as long as I like. All this means is that the martketing droids are ahead of their game.

PRODUCTION started in Jan 2k2... This means AFTER SoL shipped and flopped. Just because Marketing wants to get something out there doesn't mean that the engineers who actually write the code can keep up.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-25-2002 01:37:58 PM
quote:
Comrade_Snoota had this to say about Duck Tales:

but they never raised the monthly rate before.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 01:38:21 PM
quote:
Comrade_Snoota had this to say about Punky Brewster:

No expansion to date has come down this quickly.

No expansion has ever flopped as bad as SoL did.

Considering this is a "High End" expansion, and most of the level 60's on my server have REALLY cut back on playing because it's all the same, I don't think this one will do much better.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-25-2002 01:42:48 PM
Here is how I see it:

If that 3 extra bucks is gonna be that big of a deal, maybe you should look at things and realize the 10 bucks a month you are already paying, and the money ya have put out on expansions, and rethink things.

Granted, if they increased it way above what the current market MMORPG monthly rate was, that would be a bit off. But now its in line with other MMORPGs.

And in your example willias, even 12 extra bucks a month is nothing for entertainment for a family. I mean, thats one quarter of what it would cost 4 people to see a movie nowadays.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-25-2002 01:43:01 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I can register and hold a domain as long as I like. All this means is that the martketing droids are ahead of their game.

PRODUCTION started in Jan 2k2... This means AFTER SoL shipped and flopped. Just because Marketing wants to get something out there doesn't mean that the engineers who actually write the code can keep up.

SOL did not flop, it made record sales.

Here's my thing.

How are they claiming increased costs, exactly?

They have cut down on the bandwidth needed for each player significantly in the last few months, players no longer broadcast anything when standing still, and server side filtering makes a huge difference when you think about it.

The large influx of suscribers as of late and the increasing commonality of players owning more than one account would indicate that their margins should be increasing, not decreasing, especially when one considers that the common server load is going up, not down, and the number of GM's and Server side support is staying the same.

This doesn't compute, their costs are going down, not up, unless they have some fsking idiotic buisness managers... Or they all want new cars.... hmm...

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 01:46:57 PM
quote:
Blind Swordsman spewed forth this undeniable truth:
SOL did not flop, it made record sales.

Marketing success, playbase calls it failure. Result = flopped. Flash in the pan. Cut, Weighed, Measured and found wanting.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 03-25-2002 01:56:22 PM
Everybody I know loves Luclin. Always raiding there, always having fun with the new way mobs fight. Especially the 'Ring of Fire' type fights.

The player base in no way considers Luclin a 'flop'. Just because a few whine rather loudly doesn't mean everybody does. It's the same thing that happened on the Gameplay boards. "He who whines loudest gets heard."

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 02:10:06 PM
I dunno.... when I see several of the uberguilds across EQ bitch and cuss openly about the fuckups that VI has done as of late as well as watching a large number of the "old school" people on my server (people who have been playing the game as long and slightly longer than I have) decide to quit because it's "more of the same" in a stupider fashion, I'd call it a flop.

Now we have fights that are just timesinks. Mobs that don't compare to the 4 Warders in Sleepers that take a minimum of 30 minutes to down? Hell, Vulak didn't take that long to down and he was the uber-bastard mob for SoV... We show up, we kill some things, we stand here for 30 minutes hitting the same buttons over and over again because this Ubermob is just a war of attrition, pray that we don't get RSI because of fighting this mob, and then we go do it to another mob.....

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 03-25-2002 02:12:34 PM
Hi.

When have 'uber guilds' and 'old school players' NOT bitched about what Verant does to the high end game? Heh.

Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 03-25-2002 02:13:15 PM
quote:
Black Mage had this to say about dark elf butts:
Get a job ya bum.

Find me a job at 14 around St. Louis and sure

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: YummyMorsel ]

Moo.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-25-2002 02:19:27 PM
quote:
Comrade_Snoota had this to say about (_|_):
Hi.

When have 'uber guilds' and 'old school players' NOT bitched about what Verant does to the high end game? Heh.

RoK. To an extent SoV (most of the bitching was about bugged spawns and the stupid keys for ports, WHICH VI LATER REMOVED).

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: