EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Is there life after 40?
Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 03:44:53 PM
Struggling to get my main to 40, I've come to the realization at how repetetive the game seems to be getting now. There are fewer and fewer zones I can get experience in. It's virtually impossible as a monk to solo anything that would get me experience. In a group I'm stuck being the puller nine times out of ten. Any equipment better than what I have is insanely expensive, and I can swear it's harder to earn money now that it was at lower levels in a way. I'm earning more plat on absolute scale, but relative to things that are worthwhile to buy, my spending power has actually decreased. Am I the only one who thinks that the 1-40 game looks more fun than the 40+ game? All I see in the future is doing the same thing I'm doing now, just to bigger mobs. I'm having trouble seeing what I have to look forward to.

Help me out here. Once a monk's hit 40, what does she have to look forward to in later levels? Maybe you can help inspire me...

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-23-2002 03:46:04 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about dark elf butts:
Struggling to get my main to 40, I've come to the realization at how repetetive the game seems to be getting now. There are fewer and fewer zones I can get experience in. It's virtually impossible as a monk to solo anything that would get me experience. In a group I'm stuck being the puller nine times out of ten. Any equipment better than what I have is insanely expensive, and I can swear it's harder to earn money now that it was at lower levels in a way. I'm earning more plat on absolute scale, but relative to things that are worthwhile to buy, my spending power has actually decreased. Am I the only one who thinks that the 1-40 game looks more fun than the 40+ game? All I see in the future is doing the same thing I'm doing now, just to bigger mobs. I'm having trouble seeing what I have to look forward to.

Help me out here. Once a monk's hit 40, what does she have to look forward to in later levels? Maybe you can help inspire me...

Impossible...for monks...to solo
?

You ARE kidding, right? get to 55 or so, you can solo better than a mage. Heh.

Fal

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 01-23-2002 03:47:18 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about Cuba:
There are fewer and fewer zones I can get experience in.

What, do you own none of the expansions?
Why, you could go to:

Guk, SolB, The Hole, Unrest, Mistmoore, Frontier Mountains, OverThere, Great Divide, Eastern Wastes, Crystal Caverns, Tower of Frozen Shadow, (maybe) IceClad Ocean, Tenebrous Mountains, Dawnshroud Peaks, and whatever other Luclin zones I'm forgetting.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Ryuujin
posted 01-23-2002 03:47:34 PM
Geos in CC are great exp, thats where I am now.
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 01-23-2002 03:50:26 PM
Me and friend's monk soloed to L56 thx bye!
Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 03:50:53 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Impossible...for monks...to solo
?

You ARE kidding, right? get to 55 or so, you can solo better than a mage. Heh.

Fal

To 55 or so... if you were paying attention, I said it was nearly impossible to solo NOW, not 15 levels from now...

Almost every mob I've tried to solo that cons at least blue either beats the crap out of me, forcing me to FD, or if I do manage to defeat it, I have to spend 5 minutes recovering before I can attack something else.

And I can only take on wanderers, if there's a camp of blue mobs, the whole camp is on me, and I can't take the whole camp alone.

It doesn't how matter how well I can solo in the future, the PRESENT is the problem...

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 01-23-2002 03:53:27 PM
Yes there is life after 40, I'm liv... Oh life after 40th level, er never mind. *Removes foot from mouth*
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-23-2002 03:54:03 PM
Cleric + Monk (Fear, r0x0r buffs, uber healing)
or
Druid + Monk (Snare, animal fear, mediocre HP/AC buffs, regen, DS)

Partners are your friend.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 03:55:36 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Random whining, Lenny style.

You must be a very crappy monk. Or you must not know your job in a group.

As a monk you have feign death, and the best damage-escaping defensive abilities. You are the puller. You also stand in the top three of melee damage output. You are not a tank, you are not a caster.

You feign pull mobs to your group. You feign pull mobs to yourself. You can heal around 25% of your own health every 10 minutes or so. You can solo with ease if you have decent equipment for your level.

You play one of the tw-.. three thinking classes in the game. If you're not doing that well at it, maybe a job where you have to think isn't the right class for you.

Now look at the list of places you can group, pick one, then head there. If you pick The Hole, bring a group with you.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-23-2002 03:57:49 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Robocop:
-snip-

What he said for grouping... but since you seem to like the idea of soloing I thought you might like partnering a little more than grouping.

quote:
In a group I'm stuck being the puller nine times out of ten.

THAT'S WHAT MONKS DO!

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Kegwen Tabibito ]

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 04:01:29 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
What, do you own none of the expansions?
Why, you could go to:

Guk, SolB, The Hole, Unrest, Mistmoore, Frontier Mountains, OverThere, Great Divide, Eastern Wastes, Crystal Caverns, Tower of Frozen Shadow, (maybe) IceClad Ocean, Tenebrous Mountains, Dawnshroud Peaks, and whatever other Luclin zones I'm forgetting.

Guk and SolB are a pain to navigate, even with a map, and aren't in the least soloable.

Overthere and FM are TOO easy. Takes forever to get experience in either zone, trust me, I've tried. Both were great from 30 to my present level, but are starting to peter out.

Tenebrous and Dawnshorud aren't soloable, at least not against anything worth soloing.

Same with TOFS. Besides, it's a pain in the ass dungeon, although not as bad as Guk and SolB.

Could try the other zones, but it's such a pain getting from one to the other. Teleports are expensive unless you can find somebody willing to tp you for free. The cost adds up quickly when it's such a pain raising money.

How exactly would you go about getting in The Hole anyway? Can't very well go up to the Heretics and ask for a key. (Keep in mind I am iksar, and the whole world pretty much hates my guts).

The point is, up to the level I'm at now, I've not had too much trouble finding things to solo, or at least finsding places it was easy to find a group, but there seems to be almost nowhere I can solo now and in places I could do well with a group, it's hard to find one.

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 04:04:30 PM
quote:
Kegwen Tabibito had this to say about John Romero:
THAT'S WHAT MONKS DO!

Says who? Why does the monk always have to automatically be the puller? Sure the have goood pulling skills, but so do other classes, and among the best pullers I've seen, many were not monks. In fact on the mid-level raids I've been on with my guild, the puller was never a monk. Monks might be good pullers, but they're not the only pullers, and there's no reason why they should automatically be chosen as the puller for a group.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 01-23-2002 04:12:07 PM
If you had wanted to solo you should have been a Druid/Wizard/Shaman/Necro/Mage. Sure, Monks can solo, but it's pretty damn boring if you ask me.

In groups we get asked to pull cause, guess what, FD means no train if the puller messes up. If all the pullers in KC were Monks there would be 0 trains.

If you ever plan on getting into a guild that does high level stuff, again, you're going to be the puller for raids unless there's a higher level Monk available. SKs and Monks are the only pullers in the high level, and Monks have a more reliable FD.

And no, this isn't being mean to you because of the other thread. This is facts and how people in EQ are. Sorry.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:12:41 PM
quote:
Troodon impressed everyone with:
Guk and SolB are a pain to navigate, even with a map, and aren't in the least soloable.

Learn them. Learn them now.

quote:

Overthere and FM are TOO easy. Takes forever to get experience in either zone, trust me, I've tried. Both were great from 30 to my present level, but are starting to peter out.

Then you're expecting far too much from XP hunting. Yes, you gain XP slower as you level. This is by design.

quote:
Tenebrous and Dawnshorud aren't soloable, at least not against anything worth soloing.

Funny. I find plenty worth soloing in both zones at FIFTY TWO.

quote:
Same with TOFS. Besides, it's a pain in the ass dungeon, although not as bad as Guk and SolB.

It's a damn good zone, and the first floor is very soloable.

quote:
Could try the other zones, but it's such a pain getting from one to the other. Teleports are expensive unless you can find somebody willing to tp you for free. The cost adds up quickly when it's such a pain raising money.

Solution: Find a guild.

quote:
How exactly would you go about getting in The Hole anyway? Can't very well go up to the Heretics and ask for a key. (Keep in mind I am iksar, and the whole world pretty much hates my guts).

There's a bug where you can swim in while crouching, everyone but the large races can exploit said bug.

quote:
The point is, up to the level I'm at now, I've not had too much trouble finding things to solo, or at least finsding places it was easy to find a group, but there seems to be almost nowhere I can solo now and in places I could do well with a group, it's hard to find one.

You have no problem at 40 either, if you look. You're just lazy.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-23-2002 04:15:15 PM
quote:
Says who? Why does the monk always have to automatically be the puller? Sure the have goood pulling skills, but so do other classes, and among the best pullers I've seen, many were not monks. In fact on the mid-level raids I've been on with my guild, the puller was never a monk. Monks might be good pullers, but they're not the only pullers, and there's no reason why they should automatically be chosen as the puller for a group.

Warrior puller: Ladida... incoming... add... again...again...2 more...
Group enchanter: Umm... shit...

Run? Evac? Pray the enchanter knows what he's doing? Pfft.

Same situation with a monk puller:
Monk puller: Multiple adds...
Enchanter: Umm... shit...
*Monk feigns

Problem solved.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:16:35 PM
quote:
Kegwen Tabibito thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Snip.

quote:
Warrior: One inc, two adds.
Me: Whoohoo!

But that's because I like it when we get adds in groups. I get to do my job then.

Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 01-23-2002 04:19:25 PM
Guk--Abandoned.
SolB--Abandoned.
The Hole--Thought that was too high for me? Ah well. Guild still wouldn't take me along anyway.
Unrest--Fighting WHAT? O_o
Mistmoore--Abandoned.
Frontier Mountains--Giants?
OverThere--People there don't take kindly to Wizards for some reason. Unless they need to GO SOMEWHERE, of course.
Great Divide--Guess I have to check it out...
Eastern Wastes--Yes, but those stupid $#^$#&%##@$@@!#$7*5967 snow dervs annoy the living fuck out of me.
Crystal Caverns--Abandoned last I checked.
Tower of Frozen Shadow--That place is BYOG, and my guild is too high for me to bring them with me anymore.
IceClad Ocean--Occasional cougars are still blue, most snow dervs, but the snow dervs are a motherfucking 4#^%$#^%#@$@!#$@ pain.
Tenebrous Mountains--Luclin....pfeh! Guess I have to go there now too.
Dawnshroud Peaks--Bah...
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 01-23-2002 04:19:47 PM
Troodon, I aggree with you about pulling, imho bards are the best/tied pullers, and at the lower lv.s when I was in a gorup and volenteered to pull thed let me, now its "you stupid newb, bards dotn pull, they play mana song, anyythhing but and your getting kicked out of the group", but bards really are great pullers, selos accelarando= insta sow, no shammy/druid required, lull song= the ability to pull only 1 mob, snare song= another way to avoid getting killed bringing the mob home.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: mog ]

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Darius!
Pancake
posted 01-23-2002 04:20:11 PM
I see what youre saying Tro, and it seems correct from what Ive seen. But 46+ seems to be the "uber levels" when you can get insane equipment, and, of course, sell it all on Ebay .
Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 04:23:41 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Robocop:
You must be a very crappy monk. Or you must not know your job in a group.

As a monk you have feign death, and the best damage-escaping defensive abilities. You are the puller. You also stand in the top three of melee damage output. You are not a tank, you are not a caster.

You feign pull mobs to your group. You feign pull mobs to yourself. You can heal around 25% of your own health every 10 minutes or so. You can solo with ease if you have decent equipment for your level.

You play one of the tw-.. three thinking classes in the game. If you're not doing that well at it, maybe a job where you have to think isn't the right class for you.

I'd be curious as to what you think the other thinking classes are in the game. No scratch that, I want to know what classes you think AREN'T. Anybody of any class has to think to keep themselves and their group alive, and get get themselves and their group killed if they don't.

Mend isn't as valuable as you think. It's a great thing to have, but it's essentially nothing different than having some more hp... against some mobs, that's enough, but many times it's not.

Not counting pulling duties, when I get stuck being drafted as the puller, the main thing I do is try to keep the mobs off the people that can't handle a direct onslaught. Monks can't taunt well, but I can do all I can to try to hasten the mob's death so that the warriors or other tanks can finish them off faster if their taunting isn't working.

FD is great for saving yourself, but can quickly endanger your group. As soon as the mob thinks your dead, it's going after your group next. I always have to warn my group if I'm forced to FD.

I wouldn't have got this far if I didn't know how to play a monk. It's just that it's getting monotonous now. There's got to be more than just doing the same thing levle after level.

If anything, my life as a monk would be so much easier if people would get rid of the stereotype of the monk as the only puller. Monks can do more than pull, and other classes besides monks can pull.

Maybe I'm just getting bored of the game, or am starting to feel about monks the way Maradon feels about necros... I hope not. Maybe I'll get over it.

Personally, some of the best pullers I've seen were shadowknights, not monks... maybe it's because I've rarely been in a group with multiple monks, but SKs have good pulling skills too. Maybe not as good as monks, but the very fact that they're not as good forces the individual players to become more skillful. As a result, many SKs are better pullers than the equivalent level monk, because they had to work at it.

I guess my biggest bitch boils down to I'M A MONK, BUT PULLING'S NOT MY ONLY PURPOSE IN LIFE.

Oh well... maybe I can get some people to take me into a Guk group, I suppose... I'll ask the guild. They're suprisingly more monk friendly than the general public.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Troodon ]

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:24:09 PM
quote:
Kloie had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Guk--Abandoned.
SolB--Abandoned.
Mistmoore--Abandoned.
Crystal Caverns--Abandoned last I checked.

You have got to be kidding me. What kind of gimp server do you play on?

The Hole would be too high for a 38 Wizard, yes, mainly because of the resists.

Unrest is a very nice solo for monks down near the basement. Or a 30 - 40 group.

Great Divide might be stretching it a bit, but it's still there if your group wants a challenge.

Frontier Mountains I was mistaken on, I keep getting the levels of the giants there mixed up.

Dreadlands would be a possibility soon.

Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 01-23-2002 04:30:13 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Punky Brewster:
(snip)

Being a Wizard, I have to be at LEAST 40 to be taken seriously in DL. I have grouped there before, but the people in general won't take anyone below 40 unless it's a Cleric or some other similar-type person.

As far as how gimp my server is....VERY. I've seen 11 people in Lower Guk during peak hours...Not enough people = very hard to find group.

I don't know what's up with MM, but I've never seen more than a few people in there unless a guild is doing a raid.

CC is "last I checked"...it was a long time ago. I'm not sure how many people are there during peak time or when ever at all. I haven't checked it recently, and don't really know the general population. May've just been a slow day, eh?

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:30:23 PM
quote:
Troodon wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I'd be curious as to what you think the other thinking classes are in the game. No scratch that, I want to know what classes you think AREN'T. Anybody of any class has to think to keep themselves and their group alive, and get get themselves and their group killed if they don't.

The non-thinking classes? Things like Rangers, Paladins, Warriors and the like. You don't have to know your job worth shit to play a Warrior if not doing uber raids.

quote:
Mend isn't as valuable as you think. It's a great thing to have, but it's essentially nothing different than having some more hp... against some mobs, that's enough, but many times it's not.

It's not? Hot damn, I guess I'm mistaken thinking that Mend has saved my shared 54 monk more times than I can count.

quote:
Not counting pulling duties, when I get stuck being drafted as the puller, the main thing I do is try to keep the mobs off the people that can't handle a direct onslaught. Monks can't taunt well, but I can do all I can to try to hasten the mob's death so that the warriors or other tanks can finish them off faster if their taunting isn't working.

You are not a tank, you are not a caster. I said this earlier. You pull and you deal damage, THAT IS WHAT MONKS DO.

quote:
FD is great for saving yourself, but can quickly endanger your group. As soon as the mob thinks your dead, it's going after your group next. I always have to warn my group if I'm forced to FD.

Then either your group or you are a damn fool. I'm not sure which at this point.

quote:
There's got to be more than just doing the same thing levle after level.

Join. A. Guild.

quote:
If anything, my life as a monk would be so much easier if people would get rid of the stereotype of the monk as the only puller. Monks can do more than pull, and other classes besides monks can pull.

Sure, let's teach my pet fish how to fly first! Monks pull and deal damage. SKs and Necros can do limited pulling. NEXT.

quote:
Maybe I'm just getting bored of the game, or am starting to feel about monks the way Maradon feels about necros... I hope not. Maybe I'll get over it.

Sounds like it.

quote:
As a result, many SKs are better pullers than the equivalent level monk, because they had to work at it.

Funniest. Quote. Ever.

quote:
I guess my biggest bitch boils down to I'M A MONK, BUT PULLING'S NOT MY ONLY PURPOSE IN LIFE.

Nope, it's not. YOU ALSO DEAL DAMAGE.

quote:
Oh well... maybe I can get some people to take me into a Guk group, I suppose... I'll ask the guild. They're suprisingly more monk friendly than the general public.

So you ARE guilded? Good. As for the general public, Sol Ro is very monk friendly. Every other person is a monk. You're the flavor of the week.

What guild are you in?

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Demitri ]

Batty
posted 01-23-2002 04:32:04 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
[QB]I'M A MONK, BUT PULLING'S NOT MY ONLY PURPOSE IN LIFE.

As a Monk, you're either pulling, or you're doing damage to the mob. Live with it. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Have a nice day.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:34:11 PM
quote:
Kloie impressed everyone with:
Being a Wizard, I have to be at LEAST 40 to be taken seriously in DL. I have grouped there before, but the people in general won't take anyone below 40 unless it's a Cleric or some other similar-type person.

Yeah, I waited on going to DL until 45 purely because of resists on Mez. Kinda sucks.

quote:

CC is "last I checked"...it was a long time ago. I'm not sure how many people are there during peak time or when ever at all. I haven't checked it recently, and don't really know the general population. May've just been a slow day, eh?

That's really odd, CC's crowded alot every time I go there on Sol. Best advice would to just check on it every once in a while.

Being able to see the amount of people on each server was nice, I even had a formula worked out on where I would try to group based on the population. /rude Verant

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 04:35:58 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when mog wrote:
Troodon, I aggree with you about pulling, imho bards are the best/tied pullers, and at the lower lv.s when I was in a gorup and volenteered to pull thed let me, now its "you stupid newb, bards dotn pull, they play mana song, anyythhing but and your getting kicked out of the group", but bards really are great pullers, selos accelarando= insta sow, no shammy/druid required, lull song= the ability to pull only 1 mob, snare song= another way to avoid getting killed bringing the mob home.

You'd be surprised how many people don't realize that. Bards are in my opinion the most underrated class in the game, people just don't realize what they can do. Including a lot of bards... one of the big reasons people don't realize a bard's abilities is that bards themselves don't realize what they're capable of, and just lazily put themselves into the sterotype people have of them. Bards have the ability to pull just as well as a monk, if not better. Bards have an amazing range of abilities. They're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. But the total is more than the some of their parts, no one of their skills is that great but a skillful combination of them can be amazing.

Maybe I should start a bard... but I want to do something with Zara. But I can't see spending the rest of her life as nothing but a puller.

I personally think SKs make the best pullers, but that's just a bias of mine. But any group I've been in with a SK, the SK always pulled well. (Why don't I play a SK then you ask? Because I don't LIKE pulling!) Bards and monks in my opinion are about tied for second place.

Maybe my problem is that the image I had of monks when I first started playing one is different than the general EQ-playing public. But I know I can do more than just pull.

Ah, well... maybe I'll just play one of my alts for a while. Any advice for newbie beastlords, shamans, and/or necros?

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Troodon ]

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:38:09 PM
quote:
Troodon thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people don't realize that. Bards are in my opinion the most underrated class in the game, people just don't realize what they can do. Including a lot of bards... one of the big reasons people don't realize a bard's abilities is that bards themselves don't realize what they're capable of, and just lazily put themselves into the sterotype people have of them. Bards have the ability to pull just as well as a monk, if not better. Bards have an amazing range of abilities. They're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. But the total is more than the some of their parts, no one of their skills is that great but a skillful combination of them can be amazing.

You've just proved every idea that I've formed in my head about you.

Now go play a different class. I would be horrified to see you shouting for a group in the same zone as I.

Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 01-23-2002 04:39:15 PM
You think pulling is your only purpose in life?

Do you sit aside and watch after pulling, or something?

Darius!
Pancake
posted 01-23-2002 04:41:06 PM
Lay off you guys. He doesnt like being a monk, get over yourselves. Someone is starting to dislike a game that you love. Whoopdeefucking do.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-23-2002 04:41:45 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about Captain Planet:

I'M A CLERIC BUT HEALING'S NOT MY ONLY PURPOSE IN LIFE!

Yes, other classes can pull too. Once even my groups chanter pulled (and he did a good job), but monks are simply the best pullers in the game.
And just because the group's ranger can heal too does not mean that the cleric can melee.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Rabidbunnylover
Pancake
posted 01-23-2002 04:43:14 PM
My response in italics
quote:
Troodon wrote this stupid crap:
Monks have to plan pulls and such...most of the other classes are simply auto-attack, nuke-nuke-nuke, backstab-evade-backstab-evade-backstab, etc.
No...you're not using it in the right context. Out of combat, you just cut your downtime by a 1/4 everytime mend is succesful
Not counting pulling duties, when I get stuck being drafted as the puller,
If you're thinking about being the puller as getting "stuck being the puller" then you have the monk class down wrong...more on this later
the main thing I do is try to keep the mobs off the people that can't handle a direct onslaught. Monks can't taunt well, but I can do all I can to try to hasten the mob's death so that the warriors or other tanks can finish them off faster if their taunting isn't working.
Taunting is the tank's job. You're just supposed to make the mob die faster
Here may be your problem. You don't understand FD pulling. You should break mobs far enough away from the group that they don't aggro the group. The only reason to FD close enough to aggro the group is so that you can lose aggro, and make the main tank's job easier
I wouldn't have got this far if I didn't know how to play a monk.
You'd be suprised
It's just that it's getting monotonous now.
Welcome to EQ
There's got to be more than just doing the same thing levle after level.
Take a break, do a quest, go on raids
If anything, my life as a monk would be so much easier if people would get rid of the stereotype of the monk as the only puller.
That stereotype's there for a reason...monks ARE the best pullers in the game in most areas
Monks can do more than pull, and other classes besides monks can pull.
Name one thing other than pulling that monks can do better than all other classes
Personally, some of the best pullers I've seen were shadowknights, not monks... maybe it's because I've rarely been in a group with multiple monks, but SKs have good pulling skills too.
See that SK? Learn from him. The only reason that SK is better at pulling than you is because you, my friend, apparently suck royally at pulling. SK FD fails more often than monk FD for a reason.
Maybe not as good as monks, but the very fact that they're not as good forces the individual players to become more skillful.
So GIVLING learn how to pull better!
As a result, many SKs are better pullers than the equivalent level monk, because they had to work at it.
This is every reason why you should work to become better at pulling
No, its just your best purpose in life
Say what now? I've never had a problem getting into a group on my monk

Merp
Tarquinn
posted 01-23-2002 04:48:53 PM
Did not want to sound too negative.

Yes you're right, EQ is pretty much the same game at level 50 as it is at level 5.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:51:24 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Cuba:
Once even my groups chanter pulled (and he did a good job)

Pulling as an Enchanter is much fun.

I pulled a few times in Fear the other day. The sad thing is I did better than the monk who was there for his first time.

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 01-23-2002 04:53:53 PM
quote:
First Dragon had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Lay off you guys. He doesnt like being a monk, get over yourselves. Someone is starting to dislike a game that you love. Whoopdeefucking do.

Wow. Despite the fact that there may be an effigy of you, that makes sense!

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 04:55:30 PM
quote:
Kegwen Tabibito wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Warrior puller: Ladida... incoming... add... again...again...2 more...
Group enchanter: Umm... shit...

Run? Evac? Pray the enchanter knows what he's doing? Pfft.

Same situation with a monk puller:
Monk puller: Multiple adds...
Enchanter: Umm... shit...
*Monk feigns

Problem solved.

Monk has fallen to the ground.
Monk: Um , FD failed, trying again...
Monk gets crap beaten out of him.
Cleric heals monk.
Mobs agro on Cleric.
Monk tries to FD again.
Mob's all over cleric, warrior tries to taunt.
Mobs beat the crap out of monk, warrior, cleric, and any one else in the vicinity.

Yep, FD is nice, when it works. But it can still fail at inconvenient times, even if it's up to 200. A monk's FD failing can often get the group killed, I've seen it happen many times.

But then again this can happen to anyone, whose skill fails at an inopportune moment...

But the point is, if FD is the only thing you're counting on to keep the group from being annihalated, you're on very shaky ground, because eventually FD can, and will, fail.

Il Buono
posted 01-23-2002 04:59:42 PM
quote:
Troodon had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Yep, FD is nice, when it works. But it can still fail at inconvenient times, even if it's up to 200. A monk's FD failing can often get the group killed, I've seen it happen many times.

But then again this can happen to anyone, whose skill fails at an inopportune moment...

But the point is, if FD is the only thing you're counting on to keep the group from being annihalated, you're on very shaky ground, because eventually FD can, and will, fail.

Yes, it fails, and bad stuff happens. You make it sound like FD fails more than it succeeds. That raises the question of what your skill is at.

You honestly just sound like you need to switch classes. Monk doesn't seem to be your thing.

Tarquinn
posted 01-23-2002 05:01:02 PM
quote:
Troodon wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Monk has fallen to the ground.
Monk: Um , FD failed, trying again...
Monk gets crap beaten out of him.
Cleric heals monk.
Mobs agro on Cleric.
Monk tries to FD again.
Mob's all over cleric, warrior tries to taunt.
Mobs beat the crap out of monk, warrior, cleric, and any one else in the vicinity.

Yes, but what's the alternative to that?

A dead group!

A monks FD is very reliable. Yes, from time to time it fails, but it's still (much, MUCH)better than no FD at all. :P

Oh and being a SK I'd like to add:

Monk's FD > SK's FD

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 05:01:59 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Tarquinn was all like:
Did not want to sound too negative.

Yes you're right, EQ is pretty much the same game at level 50 as it is at level 5.

Shhhh... don't tell anybody! It would mean not only the end of EQ but the end of pretty much all RPG games...

It's true for the most part. But to keep the game fresh when you're doing basically the same thing they put in new zones, skills, spells, equipment...

But basically you are do the same thing at level 50 as you're doing at level 5.

Just try not to think about it. It's too depressing a thought.

Batty
posted 01-23-2002 05:06:02 PM
There's an easy solution to FD possibly failing and you getting beat on, then Clerics healing you.

Tell the Cleric not to heal you. It's as simple as that.

/g Don't heal me unless I ask, please.

No aggro transfer to group, no problem. Either that or stay out of range of the heal spells.

In all honesty, it does sound like you need a class change. Monk is not your thing.

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 01-23-2002 05:11:29 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Cuba:
Yes, it fails, and bad stuff happens. You make it sound like FD fails more than it succeeds. That raises the question of what your skill is at.

You honestly just sound like you need to switch classes. Monk doesn't seem to be your thing.

FD Skill=200
But FD seems to be infected with Murphy's Law. It doesn't fail too often, but for some reason when it does fail, it fails twicw in succession... there isn't usually a chance to try it a third time..

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic. FD is a great skill, the best monks have.

I've enjoyed playing a monk up to this point, but maybe it is time to try a new class. Monks seem to get monotonous after a while. If you like doing several things, a bard's probably better... yep, I definitely will try a bard soon...

But I think you can get bored of any class after a while. That's why you should play several alts, and switch between them periodically.

My monk's done alot more than fighting, too. She's mastered brewing (202), baking (144) and pottery (123), also mastered every playable race's languages (including Combine, just recently) + Dragon.

So I'll still keep her around, and play her every once in a while. But I think I'll have to more than just monking on EQ now.

Any advice for a newbie shaman/beastlord/necro? Having some problems getting them started... a shaman seems to be mostly melee up to 9, but now I have to start moving away from that.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: