EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Caster and Priest balance!
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 12:43:45 PM
Well, its that time of... history when casters and priests get rebalanced.

Now, I want a CONSTRUCTIVE thread. Pick a caster or priest, one you're familiar with and give roughly the top 3 important points you need handled.

Further, discuss if you agree or disagree with how SOE is doing things.

I'll begin.

Clerics, more then anything else, need utility. We have none at all. Zero. Seriously, ZERO.
Example:
Druids - Port, SoW, Lev, Invis, Root, Snare
Shaman - SoW, Lev, Invis, Root, Pet
Cleric - Root

CR is the hardest for clerics. This has never been addressed. In addition, Druids and Shamans can be ressed by the cleric. Should the cleric die (Usually speaking) there is no one around to res them. This does not concern raids.

Variety.
With a cleric, there is none. We no longer have any choices about what we do. The exception is if we use Aego, Complete Heal or Rev (Level 56 Res) primarily. Buff, heal, res, yawn. Further, this area is being shut down.
Examples:
Druids - Got Remedy and Divine light. Got Protection of the Glades which is a BETTER AC/HP buff for casters and priests and a substitue for Aego. Ports, soloability, utility.
Shamans - Got Remedy, Divine Light and Celestial Elixir. Got Focus which is now just as "necessary" as Aego. Soloability and Debuffs.

Alternate Experience.
I wont go into this, but first take a look at the Priest Archtype abilities. Now go look at the Caster. Casters got alot better things. NOW go look at the melee. Yeah... the melee ones double the potential of the class.

It gets worse. Go look at the cess pool that is the Cleric Alt Exp abilities. You've got 1 good one, 1 okay one and the rest are crap!

Now to reflect. What is SOE doing?
They're making our nukes better and giving lower level clerics res. Excellent...

Ferrel!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-13-2002 12:48:05 PM
Shut up and heal.

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 12:48:57 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about pies:
Shut up and heal.

I'll snap your buzzard neck :P

Ferrel!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-13-2002 12:51:10 PM
Oh yeah? And what are you going to...no...oh no....NOOOOOOO!

MA!

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 12:54:02 PM
ACES!

Thanks Bugs!

Ferrel!
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 12:54:37 PM
Oh yay.. Another EQ thread. I only comment, because I feel I must.

Do you read the developer's corner, Ferrel? I highly suggest you do. A recent comment from just an everyday joe is worth the read.

A cleric is needed. A cleric can make or break a raid. Yeah, all you may do is CH, Aego, and Revivinesince, but those are the THREE MOST IMPORTANT SPELLS above 58. If you dont like doing these things, if you dont like to *have* to be on every time your guild raids something, then play a different class. Its not that hard, really.

I like how you compared yourself to the other priest casters, though. "We need utility". Yeah, you got it. Its called doing one thing (healing) and doing it WELL. Shamans and druids are JoATs. They do stuff, sure, but they do it at a disadvantage to you. (For the record, Shaman do NOT get Levitate.)

*sighs* I know how ya feel, Ferrel. Sometimes it does look pretty bleak for a class. See, if a paladin goes on a raid, and he's not level 60, then what good is he other then a bit of a damage dealer for the big fights? More then once I've been the only pally on a raid, and shouted multiple times for people to give me /tells for DV/DG. Nearly nobody wanted it. "Wastes a buffslot" they said.. Bleh. Just be glad yer needed and wanted on a raid, Ferrel. Really.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 03-13-2002 12:58:05 PM
Delphi;

There is a large difference between being "needed" and being "fun to play."

Don't throw the "play a different class!" bullshit, because it's possible to love your class and not have fun with it. That seems to be the case with Ferrel.

Thought you'd like to know.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-13-2002 12:59:12 PM
quote:
Ferrel had this to say about Captain Planet:

Now, I want a CONSTRUCTIVE thread. Pick a caster or priest, one you're familiar with and give roughly the top 3 important points you need handled.

Further, discuss if you agree or disagree with how SOE is doing things.

I'll begin.

Clerics, more then anything else, need utility. We have none at all. Zero. Seriously, ZERO.
Example:
Druids - Port, SoW, Lev, Invis, Root, Snare
Shaman - SoW, Lev, Invis, Root, Pet
Cleric - Root

CR is the hardest for clerics. This has never been addressed. In addition, Druids and Shamans can be ressed by the cleric. Should the cleric die (Usually speaking) there is no one around to res them. This does not concern raids.

Variety.
With a cleric, there is none. We no longer have any choices about what we do. The exception is if we use Aego, Complete Heal or Rev (Level 56 Res) primarily. Buff, heal, res, yawn. Further, this area is being shut down.
Examples:
Druids - Got Remedy and Divine light. Got Protection of the Glades which is a BETTER AC/HP buff for casters and priests and a substitue for Aego. Ports, soloability, utility.
Shamans - Got Remedy, Divine Light and Celestial Elixir. Got Focus which is now just as "necessary" as Aego. Soloability and Debuffs.

Alternate Experience.
I wont go into this, but first take a look at the Priest Archtype abilities. Now go look at the Caster. Casters got alot better things. NOW go look at the melee. Yeah... the melee ones double the potential of the class.

It gets worse. Go look at the cess pool that is the Cleric Alt Exp abilities. You've got 1 good one, 1 okay one and the rest are crap!

Now to reflect. What is SOE doing?
They're making our nukes better and giving lower level clerics res. Excellent...

A lot of good points.
Variety: 100% agree with you, clerics have no real variety compared to other priests, they got screwed there.

As for my own, well I play a shaman and I'm basically happy with my class. I'd like to see a little change in the way slow's work however, a lot of things are 100% immune, I'd like to see a resist check for partial immunity, maybe say 30% of the slow stuck...something like that.

Other then that I'm pretty happy

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:00:22 PM
Scaling problems

Weapons are drastically upgraded and innovated upon with each expansion. Spells recieve minor upgrades and are generally more of the same, boring crap.

Item problems

Mana regen items should be as common as, if not more common than HP regen items. There should be a haste function of some way, shape or form that applies to spellcasting. There should be more and more innovative focus items.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:02:03 PM
quote:
Suddar Williams wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Delphi;

There is a large difference between being "needed" and being "fun to play."

Don't throw the "play a different class!" bullshit, because it's possible to love your class and not have fun with it. That seems to be the case with Ferrel.

Thought you'd like to know.

Its also possible to love your class, and wish for things that you know aint gonna happen.

Yeah, It'd be nice to get this or that for classx, but look at the game as a whole. What may not be good for an individual player (Manastone anyone?) is good for the game itself.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 03-13-2002 01:03:16 PM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about John Romero:
Mana regen items should be as common as, if not more common than HP regen items. There should be a haste function of some way, shape or form that applies to spellcasting. There should be more and more innovative focus items.

I'm reminded of something that happened in Marus Seru the other day.. I was hunting Hands of Seru with Za, and he says "Verant put alot of effort into attack and death messages for SoL" or something like that.
I reply, " 'Caster focus items' ? What are those? WE NEED ATTACK AND DEATH MESSAGES!"

I thought it was funny.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 03-13-2002 01:04:15 PM
I just hope they dont forget hybrids, like they did when putting in Luclin Equipment.
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:04:19 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Pirotess:
What may not be good for an individual player (Manastone anyone?) is good for the game itself.

The manastone was nerfed because clerics were exploiting complete heal.

The manastone really had no other negative impact on the game, apart from detracting from the novelty of Necromancers.

Il Buono
posted 03-13-2002 01:04:57 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Delphi Aegis wrote:
Yeah, It'd be nice to get this or that for classx, but look at the game as a whole. What may not be good for an individual player (Manastone anyone?) is good for the game itself.

I saw absolutely no problem with the Manastone. And I still see absolutely no problem with it.

I see many problems with the Fungal tunic, not to mention 1:2 dmg/dly weapons costing 500pp.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:04:59 PM
quote:
Maradön? thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Item problems

First, there are Manaregen items. FT, while rather uncommon, and VERY difficult to get is one of these items. Why? Imagine a cleric/<insert major casting class here> had 5x the mana regen BEFORE spells like FT, KEI, PoTG, etc. You need balance in a game like this. Extra HP is one thing, and getting one or two more points every few seconds isnt that big of a deal (Ok, maybe when yer FD'ed underneath trak. ) but mana regen is another entirely.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Il Buono
posted 03-13-2002 01:06:16 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
but mana regen is another entirely.

No it's not.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-13-2002 01:08:23 PM
quote:
Pesco impressed everyone with:
I just hope they dont forget hybrids, like they did when putting in Luclin Equipment.

They just foregot rangers

Paladin and SK shit rots by the dozens on a typical Ssrae raid heh. Mobs like the creator and the arch lich do nothing but drop useless paladin and shadowknight junk.

-Mayer Rothschild
Elander
lurk, lurk, lurk
posted 03-13-2002 01:09:10 PM
quote:
Ferrel had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Since when do they get The spells remedy , divine light and celestial elixer ? played a shaman myself but might have to recheck eq if they got those spells now aswell

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:09:24 PM
Read:

quote:
Since the time the manastone was introduced, the world of EQ has changed enormously. Players now have hit point totals that were impossible back in the day. Spells like Complete Heal, Torpor, and Nature's recovery make the mana/hit point heal ratio totally insane these days. Beyond that, the improved efficiency and availability of regeneration is also incredibly higher than it was pre-Kunark.

Manastones are crazy broken today. The speed, convenience, and efficiency they bring would unbalance today's high end player beyond repair. As an example, with the use of a manastone, a high end cleric can go from no mana to full mana in under a minute.

It is BROKEN. It wasnt broken before Kunark came out, but it is now. Have the clarity of vision to see the game as a whole, not as what YOU want for your specific class at this exact moment.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:09:25 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about John Romero:
First, there are Manaregen items. FT, while rather uncommon, and VERY difficult to get is one of these items.

Anything less than flowing thought 10 is a complete and utter joke, without any impact on a caster's abilities apart from sheer novelty.

Remember that these FT1 items are dropping off god level creatures.

quote:
Why? Imagine a cleric/<insert major casting class here> had 5x the mana regen BEFORE spells like FT, KEI, PoTG, etc.

1) Limit the classes that recieve such items (duh)

2) Keep mana regen buffs from stacking with mana regen gear. (also duh)

Pesco
posted 03-13-2002 01:10:10 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about pies:

They just foregot rangers

Paladin and SK shit rots by the dozens on a typical Ssrae raid heh. Mobs like the creator and the arch lich do nothing but drop useless paladin and shadowknight junk.

And a million monk weapons!!!!

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-13-2002 01:10:41 PM
quote:
D had this to say about Cuba:
No it's not.

KEI is 13 mana per tick. Add on the AA skill and you have 16 mana per tick. 16 mana per tick is A LOT. If you need more then that, you're casting like a mofo, and have a mod rod pile next to you.

Mod2 + shaman torpor = infinite mana.

-Mayer Rothschild
Il Buono
posted 03-13-2002 01:11:29 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about pies:
It is BROKEN. It wasnt broken before Kunark came out, but it is now. Have the clarity of vision to see the game as a whole, not as what YOU want for your specific class at this exact moment.

If the Manastone is "BROKEN" and the Fungal tunic isn't, then by god, Rangers are the greatest tanks to use against AoW.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:12:08 PM
You have to realize, then, Maradon, that any "always on" manaregen is going to be miniscule. The ability to keep other's mana regen high is an ability of the enchanter. Remember how every chanter in the bloody world who didnt have a brain screamed and *@)#$ed and moaned about FT? Thats why. It made Verant look at it more closely and make the RIGHT decision to nerf it.
Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:12:28 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Have the clarity of vision to see the game as a whole, not as what YOU want for your specific class at this exact moment.

Nice ad hominem there. Try sticking to facts instead of throwing a tantrum when you're challenged. Take it from someone who's been there.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:13:31 PM
quote:
D had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
If the Manastone is "BROKEN" and the Fungal tunic isn't, then by god, Rangers are the greatest tanks to use against AoW.

Did you read the quote, D? God, look at the GAME, not the class/item. Allright?

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Pesco
posted 03-13-2002 01:14:28 PM
quote:
D had this to say about pies:

score

Il Buono
posted 03-13-2002 01:16:08 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Delphi Aegis!
Did you read the quote, D? God, look at the GAME, not the class/item. Allright?

I AM LOOKING AT THE FUCKING GAME, DELPHI.

Every time I turn around I see a MONK WITH A FUNGAL SOLOING TIL HIS EYES BLEED. Or until he trains half the zone because his main is a Cleric who was tired of sitting on his/her ass all day in Sebilis buffing and healing.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:16:59 PM
quote:
Maradön? stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Nice ad hominem there. Try sticking to facts instead of throwing a tantrum when you're challenged. Take it from someone who's been there.

Mara, I know you've been there. A lot of things about this game were unbalanced, and they were rightfully fixed at the outcry of lots of players. If you want to balance something in a game, you have to look at the entire game itself, not just the class or ability. Every item, spell, weapon, or pretty much anything you can name in EQ has some good part to it (Like a DD to a stun spell) and some bad part to it (A large taunt factor in said stun). If it wasnt like this, we'd all be gods running around killing things in one hit. This, to me, is NOT a fun game.

A challenging fun game is what we all want here, which is why we talk so much about it.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:17:05 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Delphi Aegis wrote:
You have to realize, then, Maradon, that any "always on" manaregen is going to be miniscule. The ability to keep other's mana regen high is an ability of the enchanter. Remember how every chanter in the bloody world who didnt have a brain screamed and *@)#$ed and moaned about FT? Thats why. It made Verant look at it more closely and make the RIGHT decision to nerf it.

Using the "Strict providence of X class" argument is pointless. More times than I can count Verant has gone back on thier promise to never give out important class spells as equipment effects, and frankly I see no harm in doing so as long as an item never surpasses a character.

Enhancing a melee's HP regen rate is the domain of shamans and druids. Didn't stop them from making the fungi tunic and the coldain ring now did it?

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-13-2002 01:17:13 PM
quote:
D had this to say about Robocop:
I AM LOOKING AT THE FUCKING GAME, DELPHI.

Every time I turn around I see a MONK WITH A FUNGAL SOLOING TIL HIS EYES BLEED. Or until he trains half the zone because his main is a Cleric who was tired of sitting on his/her ass all day in Sebilis buffing and healing.

Fungi's are back up to 50k on Zeb now. Seems like they are getting quite rare again.

-Mayer Rothschild
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 01:18:02 PM
[QUOTE]Check out the big brain on Delphi Aegis!

Do you read the developer's corner, Ferrel? I highly suggest you do. A recent comment from just an everyday joe is worth the read.

Not sense it became a communist state where SOE decides what is and isnt posted.

A cleric is needed. A cleric can make or break a raid. Yeah, all you may do is CH, Aego, and Revivinesince, but those are the THREE MOST IMPORTANT SPELLS above 58. If you dont like doing these things, if you dont like to *have* to be on every time your guild raids something, then play a different class. Its not that hard, really.

Heh, yes, I do HAVE to be on every time my guild raids. I didnt say I didnt like doing those things, I said there should be more variety. Every other class has more variety then that.

I like how you compared yourself to the other priest casters, though. "We need utility". Yeah, you got it. Its called doing one thing (healing) and doing it WELL. Shamans and druids are JoATs. They do stuff, sure, but they do it at a disadvantage to you.

Newp. JoAT was a Classic and Kunark thing. Incorrect now.
Druids are very good solo. Better then necros 50+. They have have an AC/Hp buff that is BETTER for casters then Aego.
Shamans. Best debuffs there are. No question

I dont see any JoAT there.

(For the record, Shaman do NOT get Levitate.)

Yes, they do. Level 14 spell for them and an upgrade at 51

You miss the point of this post. They ARE balancing the priests and casters right now. The point of this thread isnt to whine, it is to suggest what you think needs to be done. NOT shoot down what others think.

Ferrel!
Il Buono
posted 03-13-2002 01:18:09 PM
quote:
Reynar wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Fungi's are back up to 50k on Zeb now. Seems like they are getting quite rare again.

They're still hovering at 30 on Sol. We're so damned bloated.

Which is why I'm on Torv now.

Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:18:21 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Cuba:
If you want to balance something in a game, you have to look at the entire game itself, not just the class or ability.

I'm not doing that, but you're trying to tell me that's what I'm doing because it would help your argument.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-13-2002 01:19:42 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradön?!
Using the "Strict providence of X class" argument is pointless. More times than I can count Verant has gone back on thier promise to never give out important class spells as equipment effects, and frankly I see no harm in doing so as long as an item never surpasses a character.

Enhancing a melee's HP regen rate is the domain of shamans and druids. Didn't stop them from making the fungi tunic and the coldain ring now did it?

Thats not the domain of a shaman

-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 03-13-2002 01:19:53 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Fungi's are back up to 50k on Zeb now.

22k and down on prexus.

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 01:21:10 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Elander!
Since when do they get The spells remedy , divine light and celestial elixer ? played a shaman myself but might have to recheck eq if they got those spells now aswell

A while back in a rebalancing. They're not called remedy, divine light and celestial elixir though.

Its like Natures touch, and the elixir is called Torpor. In the case of shaman, they may have only gotten 2.

Ferrel!
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:24:45 PM
Argh, this should stop.

Fungi Tunic: Yeah, Monks can solo with it. They only regen faster, it doesnt make them hit harder or faster. Just makes it easier to regen without a shaman/druid around. That doesnt mean that it still doesnt stack with said shaman/druid buffs.

Lev for shamans: Doh! Heh. I forget a lot of things. He didnt have any batwings on him, so I thought that shaman couldnt. I'm silly like that. Sorry.

In the end, its a game, and we dont have to play it if we dont want to. We have fun, even though we may want this or that from another class. /shrug

Sorry for putting my 2cp in and starting a (civil?) flamefest.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-13-2002 01:25:09 PM
Well so much for my rational discussion thread. Oh well nap time.
Ferrel!
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 01:26:55 PM
quote:
Ferrel had this to say about Robocop:
A while back in a rebalancing. They're not called remedy, divine light and celestial elixir though.

Its like Natures touch, and the elixir is called Torpor. In the case of shaman, they may have only gotten 2.

Natures touch is nice, I dont think I've had it cast on me (880 points of healing? Then maybe, I dunno). But Topor is something different. While its UBER hp regen, it also more or less roots you to the spot, and slows your attack speed (But doesnt overwrite hastes) if I remember right. Cast that on a MT, and he'd have a more difficult time of keeping taunt on a mob then if a cleric used DL on him, yes?

Delphi
I walk in the Light
I fear no Evil
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: