EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chapter 3: Destindeterre
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-07-2004 11:15:45 PM
ooc:
Sorry about not updating the map for so long.
Taylen

When you get about a third of the way down the space you've identified as a possible door, you hear a thud behind you, and something hits your back, knocking you forward. You're now stuck in the closet. Fortunately, you took your backpack off, so you have enough room to breathe, and to move around slightly.

Reyolen

Taylen seems to ignore Ara's complaint about her difficulty restraining the door, telling her to get your assistance. After a moment, her face shows evidence of the strain, and a bead of sweat rolls down the side of her face. She turns her eyes towards you, with what looks like an irritated glance. Then, giving the door one last push, she rolls out of the way, landing herself against the nearby wall as the door slams shut behind her.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-08-2004 03:15:30 AM
Taylen groans and seeing as how he can still move, resumes trying to find any give in the area he thinks is a door.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-08-2004 09:59:11 PM
[Ara]

"You know," Ariana huffs, staring at Silvan, "you could've helped." She reaches over, and knocks on the door, while still leaning against the wall. She calls out, "You okay in there? Just hang on, I'll pop the lock again in a minute!" She slides down the floor, and mumbles, "After I get my strength back."

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-08-2004 10:02:08 PM
Taylen

Though you have a little room, you're still pretty well hemmed in place. Pressing on the wall with forearms, hips, knees, or whatever can reach, doesn't have any noticeable effect. "You okay in there? Just hang on, I'll pop the lock again in a minute!" you hear from the other side of the wall.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-09-2004 02:28:46 AM
Taylen thinks a moment then replys "Actually leave it closed for a little bit, if it closes automatically the way into the lab may not work unless the door is closed."
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 03-09-2004 09:45:49 PM
Silvan faces Ara and states simply, "I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to accomplish until you were already finished. My apologies."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-09-2004 10:16:47 PM
Taylen bites his lip in thought then says loudly in elvish "Open door." then "Down," and finally "Up."

(ooc-if at any point something happens ignore the rest)

Taylen Ashenbow
Kilrath
Pancake
posted 03-10-2004 01:12:22 AM
(ooc sorry it took me so long to post))

Arthur gives a short nod to Nillurain, then extends his hand forward and says. "Good to meet you."

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-10-2004 11:46:04 AM
[Ara]

Ariana sighs, glances at the door, then turns back to Silvan, "I suppose it happens. If he wants to stay in there, I won't argue. Do you mind if I borrow a bedroom for the night? This evening's been rough, and frankly, I'm exhausted." Hearing Taylen's shouts, she starts to move over to the door, then stops. "Make up your mind!" she shouts at the door. "Either you want the door open, or you don't!"

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-10-2004 04:34:58 PM
Taylen laughs "I'm talking to the closet at the moment, just in case it responds to verbal commands."
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 03-10-2004 05:33:30 PM
"You can make use of a bedroom if you feel the need. However, try to dismiss any thoughts of stealing anything from your mind, would you? Not that I would suspect you would steal...Oh, of course not."
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-10-2004 06:13:33 PM
[Ara]

"Yes you would. It's why you hired me," Ariana gives Silvan a small, whimsical smile. Her eyelids drape lazily. "Don't worry, though. I already looked around, and there's nothing here I want. At least nothing that fits." Without further comment, she walks down the hall, towards the three bedrooms with neighboring doors.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-11-2004 12:15:14 PM
Kilrath

"The pleasure's mine," Nillurain responds, extending his own hand to meet that of the emblem-clad human. "We don't often get paladins in Destindeterre; something about religion and longevity not mixing well, or so I've heard." He gives Arthur's arm a firm shake, before withdrawing his own hand under the cloak on his shoulders. "So what brings you to the Hunters' Hall?"

Taylen

The wall demonstrates complete indifference to your commands.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-11-2004 05:02:18 PM
Taylen ponders in the dark a bit, then braces his hands on the wall and tries sliding it sideways, first right, then left.

(ooc like a sliding door moves)

Taylen Ashenbow
Kilrath
Pancake
posted 03-11-2004 05:48:49 PM
"Good question" Arthur says with a short pause. "Actually aside from a place to rest, I've been eager to find some information regarding the attacks. From what Aust tells me, here is as good a place to look as any." Arthur says with a small shrug.

He then continues.

"Although the more I learn the less I know it seems, the whole thing seems shrouded in darkness."

At this point Arthur goes into thought looking pensive, he rubs his face once with his left hand, thinking about the attacks he's endured, and a unbearable loss that he is not willing to consider.

'Be alive' he thinks to himself, before re-focusing his attention back onto Nillurain

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-11-2004 09:56:18 PM
Taylen

The wall remains immobile, as solid as a wall.

Kilrath

"I'm afraid our beds belong to the hunters. When one travels as we do, we come to count on a place we can call our own. It is a rare luxury, and one I cannot in good conscience sacrifice for the sake of even the most noble outsider." Nillurain looks behind him a moment, then turns to the visitors again, "However, as far as information, I believe we can help. Do you see the woman behind me with the bright neckband? She has been quite informative for us, and may prove as helpful for you."

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-12-2004 02:46:25 PM
Taylen stares at the wall thoughtfully, "So Silvan, any bright ideas on how to enter your Father's lab?"
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 03-13-2004 12:09:06 AM
"I don't see why it's so important to enter it. I'm curious, yes, but I'm not sure I want people that aren't part of the family to see what's inside. He must have kept it locked for a reason."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-14-2004 01:56:02 PM
Taylen, Reyolen

Each of you hears the other's words in very muffled tones. Though you can understand each other, you have to practically shout to communicate.

Kilrath
Pancake
posted 03-17-2004 05:24:48 PM
"Thank you" replies Arthur with a short nod. "I'll be sure to speak with her before I go..." He glances over to Aust as if looking for approval.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-20-2004 08:29:27 AM
Tania smiles, gazing up at Thomas.

Tania twitches again, sighing in her sleep.

[ 03-20-2004: Message edited by: Pvednes ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-22-2004 10:42:58 AM
Kilrath

Aust looks over at the woman at the back, speaking with the gnome. "She doesn't look familiar," he says to Nillurain, "was she on patrol?"

Nillurain chuckles in response, "Patrol? No, I wouldn't put it that way. Eiasa came in with one of our hunting parties this evening. We have more due to arrive around sunrise. Her story is more informative than most of our scouts. That's probably why Seledandy has taken an interest in her."

"Sele... who?" Aust asks, looking a bit confused.

"Seledandy Rumbucket Thisten... something," Nillurain shrugs. "That's as much as I can remember of it at the moment. He's talking with her now." He gestures to the gnomish fellow talking with the bright-collared elven woman. "Anyway, I need to get my gear ready. If this is what I think, we'll likely head out by noon." With a final nod to both Aust and yourself, Nillurain steps away, returning to his own tasks.

Having heard the gnome's name, or part of it at least, it too sounds familiar. The elf's name, Eiasa, doesn't ring any bells.

Pvednes

The rope drops from his hands. As its end disappears from view, Thomas leans his head forward. Closing your eyes, you feel his lips press to yours, his arm holding the small of your back. You feel warm.

... very warm.

Your eyes snap open as you sit up in bed. Flames lap from the curtains of your four-post bed; small fires fill the room around you.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-26-2004 04:26:33 AM
Tania jumps up out of bed, grabbing for her spellbook, looking for escape routes, glancing at the other bed. She swears very deeply, in every language she can think of, trying to escape the flames.

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited by: Pvednes ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-26-2004 08:55:37 AM
Pvednes

The bed across from yours is empty. Swearing as you grab your spellbook, you run for the door, and yank the handle. It won't open. Flames lick at the bed, and a wall of fire blocks you from the window. You're trapped!

As the flames close in, biting at your clothes, the heat becomes overwhelming. You scream loudly... you feel darkness closing in... the room shakes...

Shooting upright in bed, your face cold and damp, your head hits something hard. "Ow, damn!" "Honey, please, watch your language, for Angel's sake," the nasal feminine voice tells her husband. In the darkness, you can vaguely see his form sitting on the edge of the bed near your feet, "Sorry, dear."

Kilrath
Pancake
posted 03-26-2004 12:38:34 PM
Arthur looks at Aust and says. "I'd like to talk to Eiasa sometime to see what she knows. Do we have some other buisness to attend to at the moment?" Arthur asks anxiously.

While he waits for the reply he begins to think about the gnome name and developes a small smile on his face. 'How could I forget' he thinks to himself.

((ooc is it ok to assume I remember who it is or is that considered out of line, if so I'll edit my post if need be.))

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-27-2004 11:54:08 PM
Taylen stares at the thing he is sure is a door for a few minutes longer, then settles back against the normal door to have a short rest and think.
Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-28-2004 11:37:59 AM
ooc:
I've said he looks familiar, and given you part of his name. If you remember or can locate any more about him than that, Arthur can remember what you find... so long as it didn't happen when your character wasn't around. Unless I come up with some more precise way of working memory, yeah, you can remember him.
Kilrath

Aust shrugs, "This was pretty much it. I need to rest for the evening, but I can do that just about anywhere, so long as nobody disturbs me for a few hours."

Taylen

Staring at the door doesn't seem to provoke a reaction, so eventually you just lean back. The space is kinda cramped. It's the sort of space that would leave you really sore in the morning if you spent the night.

Then a thought occurs to you. There is a keyhole... in the door behind you. It has the same keyhole on both sides. In all your efforts to open what you believed was a door on the back wall, you have completely ignored the door you entered through.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-28-2004 11:06:37 PM
Taylen yells "Silvan, go get Ara, I have an idea."
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 03-31-2004 07:14:59 PM
Silvan considers askign Taylen what his great idea is, but thinks better of it and goes down the hall to the three bedrooms in search of Ara. He says, loudly, but not quite yelling, "Ara, Taylen has need of us, I guess. Come on."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-05-2004 01:58:49 PM
ooc:
Sorry about the delay. Writer's block replaced my concentration with tortellini.
Reyolen

"Just a moment," you hear Ariana's voice from the room to your right. She has resumed her accent. "I'm not decent." A minute later, the curtain pulls aside. Ara stands in the doorway, elven ears no longer poking through her hair, with an intricate ball gown hanging loosely over her form. It looks like one of the outfits from the orc crates. She yawns, then points down the hall towards your parents' room, and says sleepily, "I would have worn a robe from the closet in the other room, but you said to leave it alone. This is the closest I have to a nightgown. Does Taylen want to come out of the closet now?"

Reyolen
posted 04-05-2004 10:55:38 PM
ooc: lol, I assume I'm not supposed to pick up on that in character?

ic: Silvan responds to Ara in a tired way, "Yeah...I guess. He needs our help, or something. I really just want to get back to sleep now. Come on, let's go, if you're ready. Oh, the outfit looks just fine on you...you don't need to get into my mother's stuff."

Kilrath
Pancake
posted 04-08-2004 10:56:31 PM
"Alright then." Arthur says with a short nod, "I'm going to have a talk with Eiasa then to see what I can find out."
NPC
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 09:13:08 PM
[Ara]

"Elves sleep?" Ara asks as she finishes a yawn. She walks lazily down the hall, then pauses, turns around, and returns to the room, "Forgot my lockpicks." A moment later, she comes out again, and wanders sleepily towards the chamber containing Taylen, her improvised nightgown plowing aside a swath of dust as she moves.

Giving a light knock on the door, she asks, "Taylen, you still in there?"

[Aust]

"Okay. I'll be outside when you're done," Aust shrugs, and walks out.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 04-14-2004 12:25:15 PM
Taylen chuckles to himself.

"Yeah I'm still in here, the door doesn't want to open for me, though I have another idea, it requires getting out of here first though."

Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-18-2004 10:16:52 PM
ooc:
wrong account

`Doc fucked around with this message on 04-18-2004 at 10:17 PM.

NPC
Pancake
posted 04-18-2004 10:17:35 PM
[Ara]

"Whatever you plan to do, can it wait until tomorrow? I'm bushed," Ara asks sleepily. Opening up her roll of lockpicks and assorted small tools, she pulls out a pair of straight picks, and kneels down, working the lock until she feels it click open. She then pulls the door open a bit, stands up, and swings it open.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 04-18-2004 11:31:25 PM
Taylen comes out of the closet. "Yes I suppose it can at that."
Taylen Ashenbow
Kilrath
Pancake
posted 04-20-2004 05:46:41 PM
Arthur walks towards Eiasa and Vinden. He stops next to them and hopes to start up / join in on a conversation. He'll wait for a break in the conversation if they don't pause to greet him.

Kilrath fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 05:37 PM.

NPC
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 04:20:58 PM
[Ara]

"Good, then I'm going to bed. Rest well." She trudges away, her dress still dragging, and returns to the rightmost of the three bedrooms. As she passes Silvan, she tries to tell him the same, but only ends up fighting back a yawn, so she waves to him instead.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-26-2004 04:31:10 PM
ooc:
I've been either very busy or very lazy, but I can't decide which.

And who's Devlin?

Taylen

As Ara walks away, the closet door quietly swings shut behind you.

Kilrath

Waiting for a gap in the conversation takes a little while, as the two don't appear to notice you. Eiasa spends several minutes rambling on about all the things she hates in orc camps. Apparently there's a lot to hate about orc camps, including orcs. The gnome notices you after a short while, but doesn't interrupt Eiasa's tirade.

Finally, after a series of complaints about raw meat, the woman turns to look at you. "Oh, hello," she says casually. Her eyes stare at you, and after a few seconds, you notice them glowing ever so slightly, with a color matching the band around her neck. She has no visible pupils, giving her gaze an eerie feel.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 04:32 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: