EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chapter 3: Destindeterre
NPC
Pancake
posted 02-17-2004 08:50:00 PM
[Ara]

"My elven heritage consists of a tavern back in Vista and a few nicer physical traits," Ariana replies with a light laugh.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-18-2004 03:18:43 PM
ooc:
I'm presuming Arthur follows Aust for the sake of convenience. If he doesn't go inside, just ignore the description after that.
Kilrath

Though you've been up for less than a third of a day, the persistent near-darkness has been a bit strenuous on your eyes, and the heaviness of your meal at the inn is catching up with you. You do feel a bit tired, though you could keep going a while longer if needed.

Aust leads you up to a small, curtained archway near one end of the building. Pushing the curtain aside, he walks through, into the barracks.

Inside, several elves sit in meditation, while others busy themselves with various tasks. A few half-elven folk rest in beds along one wall. Near the far end of the room, a gnome sits on a table, conversing with an elven woman wearing a brightly-glowing orange band around her neck. The gnome looks somewhat familiar.

"Back already?" one of the elves asks, walking up to Aust while settling a cloak over his shirtless and lightly tanned torso. His raven-black hair outlines two sharply pointed ears, one of which has a notch scar near the tip. "Who's your friend?"

Aust replies casually, "He's a paladin from the hunting mission I mentioned earlier. I was surprised when I ran into him a little while ago, but he seems to be doing alright. Arthur," he says, stepping aside so he can see both you and the elf, "this is Nillurain. Nillurain, Arthur."

Pvednes

Thomas lifts the rope over your heads as you draw near. The setting sun paints the sky in orange and golden hues. A tall lad with a sleak, well-muscled form, Thomas gazes down at you through hazel eyes, an innocent grin on his face.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 02-19-2004 05:29:13 PM
Silvan turns to Taylen first, saying, "It's been a while since I've been here, but to my knowledge this house has no closets with doors. Anyway, that's not the point. I didn't really expect the intruder to still be here, and I was too tired to investigate after I found a room to sleep in. Of course, I didn't know the intruder was Ara, but that's not the point either. THe point is, we have some free time before tomorrow, so make yourselves at home here. Not TOO at home, though." Silvan gives Ara a look, then asks Ara, "So, you said you don't know much of your Elven heritage. Did you know your parents?"
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-19-2004 05:32:22 PM
"Wait, unless there is a second door out of this place, how could you not expect the intruder to still be here, the footprints at the front only come in, not out."
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Reyolen
posted 02-19-2004 05:37:48 PM
Silvan sighs, actually pondering to himself how he could have let this slip by, then answers, "Well, I'm not actually sure how I didn't come to that conclusion myself, I guess I just assumed at the time that the footprints weren't new, even though I'm sure they don't look old. Either way, you're not working on this cooperation effort very well, are you?"
NPC
Pancake
posted 02-19-2004 09:36:23 PM
[Ara]

"I knew my parents, and they knew theirs," Ariana replies curtly, crossing her arms. "They lived in Vista, and my father still does, same as I do... or did. So whatever heritage you think I should have, I assure you I have no relation to any of this city's elders, nor any reason to know them. And if your closets don't have doors, then tell me, what does have doors in this house?"

Reyolen
posted 02-19-2004 10:29:35 PM
ic: "I apologize, I just assumed you would have some knowledge of half of your heritage's homeland. Taylen doesn't have much knowledge of Destindeterre, so perhaps I was mistaken." Silvan pauses for a moment, determining what information to give up, then answers, "To my knowledge, only the front door and my father's laboratory had doors."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-19-2004 10:40:38 PM
"Was your father's laboratory, the sort of room you would feel really cramped in?"

"Maybe it would be easier if I just showed you the room in question actually."

Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 02-20-2004 07:59:35 PM
"Yes, do that. I'm curious what room this could be."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 11:58:47 AM
"Follow me then."

Taylen heads back towards the closet he found Ara in.

Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 02-23-2004 12:48:47 PM
Silvan follows, still curious what the room could be. He analyzes his old home mentally to check again what rooms had doors.
NPC
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 02:44:01 PM
[Ara]

Ariana follows a few paces behind Taylen and Silvan, looking down at the floor, and brushing at the piled dust with her feet.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-23-2004 03:23:42 PM
Reyolen

Other than slightly overgrown curtains, the decay of the glow bulbs, and copious quantities of dust, your home looks as you remember it. Taylen leads you through the hallway past your parents' room, coming to a stop at the closed door of your father's laboratory. Any dust within several feet of the door has either been pounded down or pushed aside.

The door looks exactly as you remember it; dull silvervine with a simple key latch fastened onto it. Oftentimes as a child, you wondered what the inside of his lab looked like. He never took you inside, however, even when teaching you the ins and outs of proper spellcasting. Your father used to keep the key with him, and though you looked for a spare key several times, you never found one.

Beside the door, you notice the orc armor that Taylen had been carrying around for over a day.

Taylen

When you arrive at the door, you are met with a significant surprise. Aside from a lack of dust around its base, the door looks exactly as it did the last time you approached it. The lock is undamaged, and the door is closed. The armor you left near it is still present, and appears undisturbed.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 03:29:25 PM
Taylen stares at the door perplexed. "When I left this door, it was wide open, the handle was broken, and the lock was pried apart. There must be strong magic about this door."

On impulse, Taylen tries carefully to open the door.

Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-23-2004 03:33:20 PM
Taylen

The door is locked. Unlike last time, it seems to have a bit of play to it, possibly the result of having been broken, though the difference may be due to a lack of burglar on the other side.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 03:53:30 PM
Taylen looks around to see if the broken door handle is still laying around where he dropped it.
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 02-23-2004 08:02:30 PM
"This isn't a closet, this is the door to my father's laboratory. What were you doing in there, Ara?" Silvan turns an accusing eye on Ara.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-23-2004 08:14:28 PM
Taylen

After a moment of searching, you find the broken door handle on the floor beneath your backpack, which you wedged behind the armor when you pulled out your handaxe earlier.

NPC
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 08:25:26 PM
[Ara]

"I already said I was looking for you. What more do you... wait, the door fixed itself? What kind of crazy funhouse is this?"

Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-23-2004 08:44:11 PM
"Wait, if this is your father's lab, how come Ara was able to get trapped between the rear wall and the door of it? Seems a bit small to do anything useful in. Is there maybe something more about this lab that you haven't said?"
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 02-24-2004 05:03:15 PM
"I don't even know how Ara could have gotten in there. I've never been inside, myself, though I've tried."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:25:01 AM
"Well it didn't seem particularly hard to get inside. I only had to pry the lock open and manipulate the lock's insides. However it only led to a closet-like area as far as I know, and not a lab. Now if it's really a lab there is obviously either a secret entrance inside the closet area, or some magic operating that hides it and makes it seem as a closet."
Taylen Ashenbow
NPC
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 11:02:55 AM
[Ara]

Tilting her head, Ara gazes idly at the door. She replies to Silvan, "This city doesn't seem to care much for locksmiths. It's a fairly standard two-tumbler with an overplate. That sort of thing doesn't keep most people out; it only gives a moment's delay." She turns to Taylen, and after a few seconds, responds, "I suppose that's certainly possible. Magic doors are rather new to me."

Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 02:02:21 PM
"Well shall we find out if it is anything as mundane as a hidden door or such? If there is some magic hiding it I doubt we have much chance of getting in however."
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 02-25-2004 09:46:24 PM
"I could attempt to detect if there's magic, but I don't know if I want to waste a spell on this. I'm still feeling a little groggy from being woken up so violently..."
NPC
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:40:26 PM
[Ara]

The elven visage of Ariana steps over to the door, and pulls out a pair of thin metal prongs. She holds them up between her fingers. "You know, we could just open it again, then both of you could see inside. I may not know much about magic, but doors are a talent of mine; I could open a lock this simple with my eyes closed... with the owner's permission, of course," she says, making a small curtsey towards Silvan.

Reyolen
posted 02-29-2004 02:50:45 PM
"Okay, you can open the door. Just don't cause any of property damage."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-29-2004 03:30:00 PM
"Well seeing as how the door repaired itself last time, I think thats the least of our worries Silvan."

"Say, Ara, think you could show me how to do that? In case you ever get stuck again."

Taylen Ashenbow
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-01-2004 02:11:43 PM
[Ara]

"I suppose I could try to teach you, but it took me a while to learn, so I don't know if you'll pick it up. Pardon the pun." Kneeling down beside the door, Ariana slips one of the thin prongs into the lock, and shifts it around for a moment to position the tumblers, before inserting the other. After a soft click, she slowly pulls the door open with the picks, until it opens far enough to reach her fingers around the edge. "It's all yours," she says, shifting her weight slightly.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-01-2004 09:03:40 PM
Taylen slides his fingers into the open crack of the door, "There we go, now you can move and we can try and see what we can find out about this."
Taylen Ashenbow
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-01-2004 09:29:17 PM
[Ara]

"Alright," the woman responds, hopping to her feet. She steps around behind Taylen, curious to see if anything has changed, and eager to point out if it hasn't.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-01-2004 09:30:35 PM
Taylen opens the door wide and takes a good look around the inside, trying to get a good idea where to start looking for possible doors.
Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-03-2004 10:41:01 AM
Taylen, Reyolen

With the door opened, you see darkness behind it. Not poor lighting, not a back wall, total darkness.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-03-2004 02:03:55 PM
"Ara can you hold the door for me? I'd like the check out the inside, but I don't want it closing on me."
Taylen Ashenbow
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-03-2004 02:10:32 PM
[Ara]

"Sure thing," Ariana responds to Taylen's request. She walks around to the door again, setting her pack down to the side, then wraps both hands around the door's edge. "Okay, I've got it."

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-03-2004 02:19:49 PM
Taylen walks straight back into the darkness holding his hands out in front of him until they encounter a barrier.
Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-03-2004 04:07:31 PM
Taylen

It doesn't take long at all to encounter a barrier. Your arms only get elbow-deep into the darkness when your hand hits wood. Then you hear a scuffling behind you, as Ariana barely manages to brace her leg against the door frame, with her shoulder and arm to the door.

Reyolen

Taylen puts his arms ahead of him, and walks through the doorway. Then he stops, his arms elbow-deep in the darkness. Ariana swings around ahead of the door, and braces herself against it, with one foot against the doorframe. Though you cannot be certain whether the door closed on its own or whether she pushed it, her current position would be very precarious to hold against a free-swinging door.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-04-2004 02:07:08 PM
Taylen moves in closer spreading his hands out across the barrier in front of him and feeling carefully across every square inch of it for a crack, line, or seam that might indicate a hidden door, or for something, anything that might trigger the rrom to change. After he is done with that wall he repeats the same performance on the remaining 2 walls, the area around the door, and the floor.
Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-05-2004 11:13:45 AM
Taylen

As your fingers slowly scan the walls, they repeatedly find indications of a single seam, roughly the shape of a door. The possible door's texture matches that of the wall, however, and you can find no indication whatsoever of any keyhole, doorknob, or other means of opening a door. "Whatever you're doing," you hear Ara complain in a strained voice, "you'd better hurry up. This door's getting - hrmph - pushy."

Reyolen

As Taylen moves partially in and out of the darkness, Ara holds the door open. Her grounded foot slides back to meet the base of the doorframe, and slowly, the door gains ground, narrowing the gap through which you can watch the visible parts of Taylen. "Whatever you're doing," Ara complains in a strained voice, completely lacking the elven accent she generally uses for her guise as Ariana, "you'd better hurry up. This door's getting - hrmph - pushy." She gives the door a shove, and quickly shifts her weight, bracing the backs of her shoulders against the door in place of her single shoulder and arm.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:36:55 PM
"Hmm I think I found a door, but not sure how to open it. See if you can get Silvan to help with the door for a few minutes so I can keep working on this."

Taylen pushes at the area he thinks is a door gently all over the surface, feeling for any give in it.

Taylen Ashenbow
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: