EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Final Fantasy XIII
Steven Steve
posted 03-12-2010 09:57:46 PM
I can't believe people still play this shit honestly, they were too embarrassing for me to even own after 8
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-12-2010 11:53:03 PM
quote:
This one time, at nem-x camp:
I would not play this game in front of others.

What if the other person is like, a total weeaboo fag?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 11:56:50 PM
For the brief time I was able to have three party members, combat actually became fun again. A third character adds a shit ton of dynamics to the fight instead of the attacker/buff(heal) duo you're pretty much forced into for the first 18 hours.

I think I've passed all the emo parts of the game which is making the story a lot more bearable.

The graphics really are amazing. The battle camera is for cinematic rather than practical purposes; there is no way to change it.

Gadani
U
posted 03-13-2010 12:57:17 AM
When do I get to use all these components I'm looting to upgrade shit?
nem-x
posted 03-13-2010 11:31:22 AM
After you beat some mechanical boss early on. For upgrading, use organic materials with the fang icon to build up the multiplier to 3x. Then use a big stack of mechanical material to take advantage of the 3x.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 03-13-2010 02:18:48 PM
Due to feedback from this thread, I decided to place Dragon Age and BC2 on my Gamefly queue instead of FF13 and BC2.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 03-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.

nem-x
posted 03-13-2010 02:27:17 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert!

Hour 20, I can finally choose my party members.

Nina
posted 03-13-2010 04:13:42 PM
Which is worse, FFXIII or Star Ocean 4
Nina
posted 03-13-2010 04:14:49 PM
that was a rhetorical post, as clearly nothing can be worse than star ocean 4
nem-x
posted 03-13-2010 10:47:43 PM
I just reached the open ended part of the game. It's the complete opposite of the first half of the game. It's wide open and consists of multiple zones... it's like all the Karana's combined.

Gadani
U
posted 03-14-2010 01:28:44 AM
I dunno, I'm still playing the first part of the game (just got to where I can upgrade items, I can't really play very much every day) and, although it is very straightforward I am really enjoying it.

I'm too easy to please D:

Steven Steve
posted 03-14-2010 10:49:14 AM
Last night my waiter at a restaurant was named Nem

What do you think of that

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

nem-x
posted 03-14-2010 11:26:26 AM
What kind of name is Nem

Did you punch him in the face for having such a stupid name

Steven Steve
posted 03-14-2010 01:43:23 PM
No, he looked gay and therefore probably had HIV

nem-x
posted 03-14-2010 02:35:28 PM
Pulse is making me like this game. The combat is getting a lot tougher and more involved than casting Protect on everyone then autobattling to victory. I'm actually having to use Sentinel, which I considered to be a waste of a job before. Getting 3-5k exp per fight is also a bonus.
nem-x
posted 03-15-2010 06:03:51 PM
The end game/ending is one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen.
nem-x
posted 03-15-2010 09:13:23 PM
the leona lewis song was the only good thing about that ending

and the song is bad

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-15-2010 10:43:07 PM
quote:
nem-x wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
the leona lewis song was the only good thing about that ending

and the song is bad

Spoil it motherfucker. Anyone played it on 360 yet?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

nem-x
posted 03-15-2010 11:09:54 PM
I'd spoil it but it made no sense whatsoever.

Generic details ending spoiler

Your team basically said they weren't going to do something that was very very bad, but did it anyways. What was their plan to deal with said bad consequences? To hold hands. That was their plan. Literally.

And by sheer MIRACLES LOVE FRIENDSHIP transformer morphing powers that is not explained in any shape or form, they averted total disaster.

Gadani
U
posted 03-15-2010 11:23:24 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Spoil it motherfucker. Anyone played it on 360 yet?

currently playing on 360

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-15-2010 11:58:22 PM
quote:
Gadani thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
currently playing on 360

Any downsides? Performance issues?

1/10, I raged. Fuck you Squeenix, fuck you.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Gadani
U
posted 03-16-2010 12:00:29 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Damnati said this:
Any downsides? Performance issues?

No. They have a side-by-side comparison on IGN (lol) comparing the PS3 and 360 versions. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or compression; the game is beautiful on the 360.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-16-2010 12:56:58 AM
quote:
So quoth Gadani:
No. They have a side-by-side comparison on IGN (lol) comparing the PS3 and 360 versions. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or compression; the game is beautiful on the 360.

Excellent, I was concerned about the port because the PS3 Assassin's Creed II was badly lagged and graphically jiggered.

Gadani
U
posted 03-16-2010 01:18:18 AM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Excellent, I was concerned about the port because the PS3 Assassin's Creed II was badly lagged and graphically jiggered.

Oh, the 360 version of FFXIII has 3 discs whereas the PS3 version has only one. It's really not that big of a deal to get up and change the disc every 7 hours though :shrug:

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-16-2010 02:51:56 AM
Saw a friend playing the 360 version, the *game* looks ok. The cutscenes looks a little off. Granted they dropped it from 1080 to standard def, then compressed it to fit 25Gb of vid onto 3 DVD9 discs, then the 360 wants to upscale playback to 720p. Overall it's not bad, and yeah, the bigger complaint is changing discs so it's a general non-issue.

Didn't put as much play into it as I wanted to so far, but I'm house sitting for a friend this week so I should have LOTS of extra time to tinker with it.

"Listening to Cunty McBitch and Angsty McFagballs (Lightning & Hope) makes me miss Riku and her dogpaddle. Vanille makes me miss Lightning & Hope..."

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Greenlit
posted 03-16-2010 03:15:02 AM
You're aware that three DVD-9s would be ~26GiB, right.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-16-2010 04:17:36 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Captain Planet:
You're aware that three DVD-9s would be ~26GiB, right.

3xDVD9 = 27Gb raw storage.

3xDVD9 - XBox 360 Copy Protection ~= 20.4 (roughly 6.8gb per disc from what I'm told, this is not something I'm 100% on, seems overly large).

25Gb of storage for 1080p rendered FMV. And only the cutscenes. The game is additional data on top of that.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-17-2010 10:16:12 PM
I'm playing it on 360. I haven't noticed any gameplay issues like stuttering or problems with the cutscenes or zoning. I have been raging against the "Leader dies and you're fucked" aspect of the game, though. I just killed Enlil and Enki before I had to relinquish the large TV to Deth when he got home from work.

I'm enjoying it for aspects that aren't FF related. I do like the fast-paced nature of the combat and the Paradigm system does make me think to the constant job swaps in X-2. I admit I was hoping a little for some form of the Gambit system from XII. I really enjoyed some of the strategic elements to making sure you set your gambits up just-so.

But XIII doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy. The story up to this point has been linear as hell. I can't choose my own party, or even who's going to lead the duo I'm stuck with on each chapter. There have been no sidequests, no gathering information by talking to people or even really any exploring of the map. If I have difficulty with a battle, I can't go level up a little to try to make it past it, and I HATE that the Crystarium is story-locked in terms of progression.

Unless some things seriously improve once I get to Pulse, I'll put the game up there as enjoyable, but it will definitely not be going in as one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 03-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

nem-x
posted 03-18-2010 08:28:58 PM
The only real gameplay FF13 has is deciding on your 6 job presets and when to use them. Everything else is autobattle.

You don't need to grind/upgrade weapons to beat the game. Change out party members for certain areas/boss fights.

Even though there's an ass load of cutscenes, they decided to not explain some major plot elements of the game in them. They are in the datalogs of the chapters. Burrushit

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-19-2010 12:16:17 AM
It is slightly interesting that they've built in auto-limiting to prevent powergaming (unlike the beginning of 12).

About to exit Ch 9 and I decided to farm some of the soldiers for Chips so I could try to buy the conversion item for a weapon for Lightning (sadly I have 3 for other weapons, but not the one she's using). I'm now set with all characters maxed out and stockpiling CP for the next upgrade (which should happen when I hit Ch 10) but the fights are still somewhat annoying. Sometimes they're simple (mash X till loot screen) and sometimes they'll try to gang rape Hope so I have to flip setups a couple of times to keep from wasting Potions/Phoenix Downs...

I'm really hoping that the second half of this picks up... I've fallen asleep twice while playing so far.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-22-2010 09:10:32 PM
The Crystarium gets REALLY expensive at Chapter 11.

But I'm on Chapter 11 now and I've gotten to Pulse. I like the missions and they've given a nice break from the former linear nature of the story.

I see what you meant about Sentinel now, nem, and I have to agree that I thought it was a useless as fuck role prior to this time in the game as well. Now my default paradigm is usually Delta Attack, because the Sentinel is just damned useful.

I haven't bothered with upgrading weapons. I haven't really needed to. I might play with it some more in the last two chapters if I feel froggy.

And yeah, explaining some things only in datalogs has been annoying as hell. Another problem I've had at times, and maybe it's just the 360 port, is that the music is too damned loud in the cutscenes sometimes. It overpowers the voices and I *have* to reference the datalog just to find out what the hell I missed.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 03-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-23-2010 01:26:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that when I hit Ch11. Drained the resources I had, but then again I'm only leveling certain people to be certain things for now.

I do hate that the second mission is "locked away" behind some stupidly hard targets. Getting into a fight with a "normal overworld" critter that has almost half a million HP and likes to use a "normal attack" that smacks everyone in the party for 1k+ damage... Not funny.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-23-2010 06:29:54 PM
Which one is that?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-24-2010 01:20:35 AM
The fight I got into was for a chest on the way to the second mark. Some giant 4-legged dino thing. Wasn't paying attention to the name, was too busy resetting to get out of the fight...
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-24-2010 01:59:28 AM
Ahhhhh the building sized tall dinosaurs?

They're pretty easy to dodge around. They're slow as hell.

That is one facet of the game I like. You can avoid a lot of fights if you want to with some skillful dodging. Respawns in some places are kind of quick, which is good for farming, but a pain in the ass when you just want to go back the way you came. So it's nice to only have to fight what I want to fight sometimes.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-24-2010 03:38:37 AM
Yeah, the "cave" that the second mark is in has been profitable so far. Been running from entrance to the "fuck you" fight (2 bots, one "master" that summons more bots) and back racking up about 17k per circuit. Figure I can go ahead and cap off the major aspects (Ravager x 2, Sentinel x 1, Healer x 1, Synergist x 1) before moving on with the next phase of story.

You do have to remember to spend CP for the non-active people though. They cap out at all 9's then start to 'waste' points..

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-24-2010 11:23:45 PM
Yeah I enjoy the Maw of the Abyss area for relatively easy spoils and CP gain.

I actually ended up doing hunts around the initial area and traveling around to C'ieth stones that those hunts opened up (they light up on your map) so it took me a while to get to the hunt in Mah'habara.

One of the hunts that I did gave the Gysahl Reins, which lets you ride chocobos. Chocobo travel has really made getting around easier. Plus there are C'ieth stones on the tops of rocks that unlock after you get the chocobo that you can get to then.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 04-01-2010 10:13:27 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1569-Final-Fantasy-XIII

Awesome as always.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-01-2010 12:37:45 PM
I think it's funny the url hyphenates zero-punctuation.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-02-2010 01:26:41 AM
I expected him to do a run on FFXIII, but I wasn't as amused. Honestly, he's just quoting what existing reviews said, and even some of the reviews on the .jp version were saying...

But yeah.. once you're 20 hours in and finally "off the rails", it does get somewhat better. Till you accidentally quit after 4 hours without saving.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: