EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I played the WAR trial
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2009 09:39:24 AM
Ok, everything sold quickly so ISK sent and contract created. They're at the Emperor station in Amarr. Enjoy.

I'll only log in now to change skills until the character sells.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-09-2009 10:49:13 AM
Part of what I enjoy about being a BW is not being the most played class in warbands to be honest. Ever since the crit nerfs (Which were entirely needed and really not that terrible) people really jumped ship on the class. It WAS retardedly overplayed previously. That may change now that resists finally got fixed, who knows, but it gonna be choppa and slayer time for a while.

I'm figuring all the witch elves that got nerfed with the patch will be going for the shiny new MDPS classes

Most BWs i've seen together in a scenario during all of tier 3 and 4 to date is three. Seen upwards of 7 Knights and 7 DoKs in scenarios though. Never see many sorcs either, two in the same scen at once if I am lucky.

Hell, a twisting tower pop last night had 6 friggin warrior priests. I just stopped even bothering to keep track of my hp and just assume I had full at all times. It ruled

What I'm trying to say Mort is, play the damn game and don't worry about people nerd raging doom and gloom about everything and the kitchen sink. To date all the major issues have been fixed (Roots being too good, resists being too good, Black Orc self heals being too good, Witch Elves being pants on head retard too good etc.) so any issues will just be temporary.

Still more to do at endgame than people have managed to, as a whole, complete and the next big expansion is gonna be a big content dump too.

I can't wait for the Darkness Falls dungeon coming out, one thing from DAOC that I've missed

Vorago fucked around with this message on 03-09-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2009 11:03:37 AM
Welp I went and bought the game (it's only £10 now ) so I'll be playing it anyway. Got it online so just waiting for it to come then I can upgrade my account and get those doggies rollin'.

I really don't care that Chosen can't DPS worth a shit in later tiers, tbh. I've always prefered the playstyle of the immovable object over the unstoppable force.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-09-2009 01:41:57 PM
Mort, I owe you several alcoholic beverages of your choice when I come to London.

Thank you very much!

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2009 03:32:48 PM
No problemo.

.. and I just figured out how to chat. Before that, I was a deaf mute who communicated pleasure at a group kill by jumping on the spot.

I dueled a witch hunter two levels higher than me in the middle of nowhere. I was bent over and vigorously raped. I came.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 03-09-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-10-2009 06:50:11 PM
Open RvR with 20-30 players each side = really fucking fun.

Except when you have to get in that city to do a quick fetch quest.

For one thing.

Surrounded by all the enemy players.

Oh fuck you quest. Fuck you.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2009 08:17:18 AM
Are there no official forums for the game? There are none on war-europe.com

If there are no official forums, which unofficial ones are the busiest?

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-12-2009 11:02:25 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
Are there no official forums for the game? There are none on war-europe.com

If there are no official forums, which unofficial ones are the busiest?

http://www.warhammeronline.com/forums/ ???

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2009 11:15:28 AM
quote:
Peter said:
http://www.warhammeronline.com/forums/ ???

Aha! See it always just takes me to the europe site when I click the link on the launcher etc.

EDIT: Those forums don't contain any European information or server lists. Seems the Euro servers are also vastly more populated and there's a lot more of them.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 03-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-12-2009 04:47:53 PM
war europe is managed by a different company. Its up to them if they want forums or not
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-12-2009 05:41:04 PM
t1 and t2 currently suck due to being nothing but slayers/choppas.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2009 06:46:50 PM
That always happens when a new class is released in an MMORPG. It'll calm down in a couple of weeks.
nem-x
posted 03-12-2009 06:58:29 PM
i have an email saying i have a free ten day trial, but they nerfed witch elfs so
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-12-2009 06:59:22 PM
quote:
nem-x stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
i have an email saying i have a free ten day trial, but they nerfed witch elfs so

You have a free 10 days when you sign up again.

nem-x
posted 03-12-2009 07:14:22 PM
also warhammer alliance is the main forums people use
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-12-2009 08:12:26 PM
Are there PvE servers, or is it all straight up PvP? I'm thinking of giving Warhammer a shot since I'm kind of burned out on WoW, despite never having played any of the other Warhammer games or even knowing who is what, other than there's orcs and humans.

Bricktop fucked around with this message on 03-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2009 08:21:04 PM
quote:
Bricktop said:
Are there PvE servers, or is it all straight up PvP? I'm thinking of giving Warhammer a shot since I'm kind of burned out on WoW, despite never having played any of the other Warhammer games or even knowing who is what, other than there's orcs and humans.

I play on a "Core" server, which means it's pretty much 50/50 and you pick and choose what you want to do.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-12-2009 09:33:20 PM
quote:
Bricktop attempted to be funny by writing:

Seriously, the PvE is complete shit until you exploit it. The PvP is where all the fun is at. I was a total 'carebare' before this game and when I played it, all I would do is PvP. I would not do a single quest at all unless it was a PvP quest.

The reason I stopped playing is because EA was too stupid to not force merge servers together. In the beginning you waited literally 1-15 seconds for a scenario to pop. The day before I quit it was 20-30 minutes of waiting before I came up which was finished with in 5 minutes.

I want to give it a go again but I just don't have time right now. Apparently whatever the Goon Alliance server is the pops are quick and there is oRvR like crazy.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-12-2009 09:42:34 PM
Sorry, it is impossible to fix world PvP in a MMORPG. In order to fix it, you'd have to take out the human element, which for obvious reasons is impossible.

WoW is the only game to get it right so far. Make the world PvE, with the exception of certain areas that you are not required to go into, while instancing PvP.

Which is really what my question was.

Talonus
Loner
posted 03-12-2009 10:18:17 PM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay was naked while typing this:
The reason I stopped playing is because EA was too stupid to not force merge servers together. In the beginning you waited literally 1-15 seconds for a scenario to pop. The day before I quit it was 20-30 minutes of waiting before I came up which was finished with in 5 minutes.

Coincidentally, here's your forced merger.

quote:
Bricktop thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Sorry, it is impossible to fix world PvP in a MMORPG. In order to fix it, you'd have to take out the human element, which for obvious reasons is impossible.

WoW is the only game to get it right so far. Make the world PvE, with the exception of certain areas that you are not required to go into, while instancing PvP.

Which is really what my question was.

What? Have you played a MMO prior to WoW? There's been several MMOs to get world PvP right. A lot of people were looking to WAR specifically because Mythic's previous game, DAoC, did it so well. WoW has absolutely horrid PvP.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-12-2009 10:22:25 PM
quote:
Talonus was naked while typing this:
What? Have you played a MMO prior to WoW? There's been several MMOs to get world PvP right. A lot of people were looking to WAR specifically because Mythic's previous game, DAoC, did it so well. WoW has absolutely horrid PvP.

All MMORPG PvP is horrid. DAoC world PvP was basically the same as WoW PvP the last time I played DAoC. Really shitty because of the people who play the game, outside of the instanced battlegrounds where it's controlled.

Greenlit
posted 03-12-2009 10:24:38 PM
Do squig herders not suck yet
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-12-2009 10:24:48 PM
All world pvp is just rule endorsed griefing. And by that metric eve pretty much has the best world pvp.
nem-x
posted 03-12-2009 10:28:17 PM
squig herders started owning after bws got nerfed and every other ranged dps got buffed
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-13-2009 07:55:09 AM
Just play what you enjoy and to hell with balancing.

I die frequently as a Chosen in RvR and it's still fun as hell, because I'm doing what I'm supposed to. IE doing that shield block thing and stopping the DPS classes dying first.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-13-2009 08:39:55 AM
Tarquinn, you mentioned you might have a code for a hat or something?

If anyone else has codes then want to shoot my way, feel free.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-13-2009 11:19:56 AM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
Tarquinn, you mentioned you might have a code for a hat or something?

If anyone else has codes then want to shoot my way, feel free.

If you had the collector's edition you get a new head/face for each race. Chaos (female at least, not sure about male) head is skin-sealed eyes and a third eye in the center of your forehead.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-13-2009 05:58:08 PM
So I downloaded the free trial and set up my account, and when I try to open up Warhammer I get an error that says, "The patch client was unable to update the file <location of file>. Please ensure the game is not already running and there is free space on the disk."

The game isn't running, and I've reset the computer and ran the game first thing upon boot just to double check, and I've got 64 gigs of space.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-13-2009 06:26:47 PM
I just uninstalled and reinstalled again and get the same error. This must be some devious plot to make you buy the game box to try the game out.
Nina
posted 03-14-2009 01:25:28 AM
There's probably a setup file you haven't run.

(I'm serious, too. I had some problems like that trying to run my unzipped folder during beta until I noticed the setup executable lying around.)

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-14-2009 03:31:34 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Nina wrote:
There's probably a setup file you haven't run.

(I'm serious, too. I had some problems like that trying to run my unzipped folder during beta until I noticed the setup executable lying around.)

No. I ran the setup and installed it. I've tried deleting the download and uninstalling and redownloading and installing and everything.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-14-2009 07:02:42 PM
I just bought it and am installing it now. What server am I playing on and what should I make. I like playing the melee DPS or tank types.(My highest characters in WoW and EQ were both Warriors)
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-14-2009 07:11:47 PM
Black Orc imo.
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-14-2009 07:17:03 PM
quote:
Bricktop spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I just bought it and am installing it now. What server am I playing on and what should I make. I like playing the melee DPS or tank types.(My highest characters in WoW and EQ were both Warriors)

Play on the most populated server. I am 100% serious about this. The more you can PvP the better. Their servers are good for handling lots of people.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-14-2009 07:17:29 PM
and Black Orc is best Orc
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-14-2009 07:19:12 PM
Actually I dunno about Black Guards but if they are a mirror to Iron Breaker you might want to do that. They use the Rage system.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-14-2009 07:24:56 PM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay had this to say about Pirotess:
Play on the most populated server. I am 100% serious about this. The more you can PvP the better. Their servers are good for handling lots of people.

Yeah, but nobody has answered my question about their PvP yet. Is it like DAoC, where you could level to the highest levels(at least when I played) without ever actually encountering the other side unless you went out of your way to, or like WoW where you get ganked by a group of three people 15 levels higher than you every where you go until you manage to level to 80, at which point you just get ganked by five people the same level as you where ever you go?

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-14-2009 07:35:01 PM
1) Scenarios - you queue for these anywhere in the world. WoW Battlegrounds style menu pops up when enough people are found. Click Yes and zone into a PvP zone, play for 10-30 mins. Get good exp and influence. When it's over you spawn whereever you clicked 'Yes' at.

2) Open RvR. They are clearly marked on your map. There aren't any PvE monsters in these areas. You are flagged for PvP as soon as you enter them.

If you play on Core, world RvR is the same as non-PvP servers in WoW. You have to flag yourself for PvP in order to hit/be hit.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-14-2009 09:28:37 PM
Yes, populated servers > all. More scenarios popping and more active outdoor RvR

Core servers (DAOC style where PVP only occurs in designated areas) are the normal, most common servers. As Delid mentioned, RvR occurs either in the instanced scenario pops or in the outdoor Open RvR. Players are bolstered to a set level range if they are particularly low for that particular tier's range.

A player of too high a level who tries to enter a lower level PvP area gets turned into a chicken. On full PvP servers this occurs ANYWHERE in a lower tier, so once you level past an area you cannot return as chicken... makes getting unlocks and whatnot a bitch I would imagine.

Scenarios give you faster, larger quantities of Exp/Renown but at the cost of them being far more challenging, since it is always even numbers in a confined space. Open RvR gives you far better items from it, both from taking Keeps for the pile of loot and the outdoor influance system that gives huge epic items for doing enough general ORvR in a particular pairing/level range.

In order to be successful you need to do both to one degree or another, ORvR for the items and Scenarios for really getting to know your class and getting better at it.

It boils down heavily to what class mechanic you prefer for your class, since all the tanks can tank (OK, Knight of the blazing sun less so <_< ) and all the dps can dps, but each has it's own gimicks to work with.

Black orcs/Sword masters use a stance based combo system where you must string attacks of various stances into chains. Gotta be aware to be effective, but their attacks are highly effecient as their better stance abilities in the chains are free to use and quite good.

Ironbreakers/black Guards use a building rage/grudge resource that basically amounts to the longer the battle the better your abilities become. Much less to be concerned about in the heat of battle

Chosen/Knights of the Blazing Sun use auras, in order to be most effective you, unfortunately, do EQ1 style song twisting to maximize your power. Lot of busywork to be honest. Knights are at a large numerical disadvantage for tanking and I reccommend against them to be honest.

Playing melee dps right now would be a bit overkill, right now everyone and their mother is playing a choppa/slayer... gonna be lost in the shuffle against the new classes.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2009 09:44:21 PM
I'm going to have fun getting to T4 (in T2 now) then trawl back along the path doing all the millions of unlockables I missed. Mostly creature kills.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: