EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Blizzard announces Diablo 3
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-01-2008 08:07:13 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Pirotess:
You seriously think any unannounced blizzard game is a year and a half out?

Do you seriously think that Blizzard is operating on the same type of budget that they have been for the last 15 years?

Steven Steve
posted 07-01-2008 08:36:41 PM
HEY EXCUSE ME YOU CAN'T RUSH ART MISTER
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-01-2008 11:41:40 PM
quote:
Naimah Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Do you seriously think that Blizzard is operating on the same type of budget that they have been for the last 15 years?

This is Blizzard we're talking about. Look at their WoW patch record. 4 content updates since Burning Crusade was released.

Maradon!
posted 07-01-2008 11:45:23 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Willias booooze lime pole over bench lick:

This is Blizzard we're talking about. Look at their WoW patch record. 4 content updates since Burning Crusade was released.

That's a pretty bad example. You're making the false assumption that they don't release major content updates any faster because they aren't able to.

In all probability, they deliberately pace content releases to give the player base time to fully work through the things currently in the game. Most MMO's pace content releases at about 3-4 months each, usually for this reason.

Nina
posted 07-02-2008 02:59:37 AM
You know making jokes about Blizzard's slow development cycle is really old when Woody Hearn makes a comic strip out of it.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-02-2008 03:46:31 AM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
That's a pretty bad example. You're making the false assumption that they don't release major content updates any faster because they aren't able to.

In all probability, they deliberately pace content releases to give the player base time to fully work through the things currently in the game. Most MMO's pace content releases at about 3-4 months each, usually for this reason.

More than that, the content is taking longer to chew through than the time it takes for them to release more.

You can see this pretty well in sunwell, honestly; The whole island is basically a gold-farm to inflate the economy, but it takes at least a month and a half of an entire active server doing the dailies every day to unlock everything, give or take a few days (And a few large guilds).

I haven't ever felt like the content release schedule in wow has been too slow. :3

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-02-2008 04:25:42 AM
I don't know if I'd say that the content is taking longer to chew through by your example. The Sunwell Isle dailies aren't exactly a lot of content to chew through. It's just that for a server to unlock more dailies, they have to do certain daily quests over and over. Technically, the first time you do each daily, you've "completed" that part of the game's content.

And Maradon, you're right, they're able to release content faster than they do. However, I think that the slow releases have more to do with the amount of "polish" they put on everything they release. From what I saw, most of BC's patches were bug free for the most part, or if there were bugs, they were fixed quickly.

I suppose D3 could come out sooner, but I really doubt it will. Starcraft 2 won't be coming out this year for sure (apparently the dev team is focusing on getting cinematics in and they're about 1/3 of the way complete with the single player campaign), and from reading various interviews, Blizzard expects Diablo 3 to come out after Starcraft 2.

Quote from IGN on an interview with Rob Pardo:

quote:
So why announce Diablo now? We still don't have release dates for StarCraft II or World of Warcraft's Wrath of the Lich King expansion, which many were speculating would be announced at WWI, so why bring another high profile product into the public with yet another nebulous release date? "The announcement of our projects is usually when it's time for that game to be announced," said Pardo. "This project has been going for a while and it finally got to the point where it felt like it's time to announce the game. We kind of have this rule of, ideally, we announce a game a year to a year and a half before the game comes out. That's our theory, and then three years later [trails off]. We're getting to be a bigger and bigger studio so we can't just keep one game announced and everything else hidden. We have several games in development now."
Maradon!
posted 07-02-2008 07:31:55 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Willias who doth quote:
And Maradon, you're right, they're able to release content faster than they do. However, I think that the slow releases have more to do with the amount of "polish" they put on everything they release.

Oh, that's most certainly also a factor.

If nothing else, nobody can ever accuse Blizzard of releasing an unfinished product. It kills me that people will complain endlessly about buggy zero day shit and "paying for a beta" but when one developer refuses to do that, people bitch just as loud.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-02-2008 08:21:31 AM
I remember recently reading a quote from some big wig Blizzard guy saying that they are working towards a two year max announcement to release time line on all their new products. Will it hold true? I'll tell you July 1 2010.
Steven Steve
posted 07-02-2008 08:35:29 AM
Blizzard has no trouble releasing polished products because all they do is polish products, haha.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-02-2008 08:41:06 AM
quote:
Steven Steve's ass must be crazy:
Blizzard has no trouble releasing polished products because all they do is polish products, haha.

You're polish product.

Steven Steve
posted 07-02-2008 09:38:17 AM
It's time for a polska beatdown

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-03-2008 09:53:58 PM
I like having a developer that polishes (someone else's) good ideas to the point of absurdity
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-03-2008 10:31:00 PM
I think the big issue is the massive fucking hype cycle in the gaming industry. Noone would care that it takes Blizzard a few years to get games out if they weren't announced 2-3 years in advance. But things get announced early, hyped to hell, the hype causes some companies to push games (Hellgate, god damnit) out too early...
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: