EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: FFT: The War of the Lions
Maradon!
posted 10-13-2007 08:29:33 PM
Honestly, I think a War of the Loins is a more interesting concept.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-14-2007 12:58:37 AM
quote:
Verily, Arttemis doth proclaim:
I really like the new translation, but the actual gameplay is almost criminal, since framerate drops to next to nothing whenever you use an ability. Haven't tried either of the multiplayer modes yet.

EDIT: are Onion Knight and Fell Knight the only new classes?

It runs a lot better if you rip it to an iso and change your PSP to 333Mhz (yay custom firmware), but it's pretty much unacceptable that you have to do that

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 10-14-2007 01:26:25 AM
quote:
Kegwen's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
It runs a lot better if you rip it to an iso and change your PSP to 333Mhz (yay custom firmware), but it's pretty much unacceptable that you have to do that

I'm still running with factory firmware... I plan on modding it so I can play emulated games as well, so I'll have to try that. What is the firmware that most people switch to?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-14-2007 01:31:44 AM
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-14-2007 01:53:32 AM
How the fuck do i win the fight at Dorter?

No matter what I do, the archer nearly one shots my guys, the black mages fuck em up and the guy with 80 hit points just stands up to tons of fucking hits.

I try to do random battles to level up and get raped.

I'm stumped

Arttemis
posted 10-14-2007 02:53:49 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Falaanla Marr stammered:
How the fuck do i win the fight at Dorter?

No matter what I do, the archer nearly one shots my guys, the black mages fuck em up and the guy with 80 hit points just stands up to tons of fucking hits.

I try to do random battles to level up and get raped.

I'm stumped

Random battles are raping you? Stop sucking so hard.

For the random fights, keep your party together so your white mage catches multiple people with one cure. Let the mobs come to you - getting your party strung out is a good way to get owned in the beginning of the game. Kill everything except for one guy, then cheese up levels by having everyone use the +1 attack squire power over and over again or having everyone beat up a monk who can heal himself with chakra.

EDIT: For Dorter, ignore the archer on the top of the buildings and let Delita and Algus handle him. Use at least one of your tanks to rush the casters and take them down before they get spells off (if you've leveled a little bit, Ramza can one shot them as a knight). If the archers are one shotting you, you're way underleveled or underequipped.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-14-2007 04:07:01 AM
It has started to get smoother now that I made Ramza into a Knight, yeah.

I didn't get the Focus or JP boost abilities yet, going to have to go back and grind squire levels to do that. Ugh

Just haven't run into a game that requires grinding this early is all.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-14-2007 11:46:15 AM
I'm most of the way through chapter 2 and I've done maybe 6 random battles total. Course I played the game before and I'm about to the point where I'm going to have to grind some.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-14-2007 12:21:26 PM
I always liked the grinding, actually.

How does the random encounter scaling work this time around?

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 12:22:39 PM
man if you guys keep this shit up i'll have to fire up the original for some playtime in deep dungeon with my bad ass three dancer two mime rapesquad
Alaan
posted 10-14-2007 12:40:17 PM
Random battles don't seem as bad. I remember getting some occasional rape squads real early in the original. But yet to hit one. And I swear they toned down the Chocobos. They used to be a cast iron bitch early game.

Edit: though I could just a be a better player than in the past!

Alaan fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 01:59:28 PM
It is not possible to be underleveled for anything in FFT. I once made it almost to chapter four without hitting a random battle (lots of luck with green-dotting) and I never had trouble with the missions.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-14-2007 02:55:22 PM
OK, well, congratufuckinglations to those of you that didn't have the same problem I did. I've never played the game before this, so yeah. I had problems because I didn't know to switch classes immediately, stuff like that. I was getting my ass kicked in the fight no matter what I did. If my guys were getting pretty much one hit (or damn close) by the archers, I am pretty underlevelled.

And Parce: Grinding isn't such a bad thing, I just didn't expect I'd have to do a bit of it to start the game off.

A question: Are any of the knight skills worth a damn? I'm up to 3 knights now and the have a ton of JP to spend but not sure which of the abilities to go for.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-14-2007 03:12:17 PM
The main thing about grinding is when you have a specific job/ability you really want (and some will take forever without grinding).

I suppose as long as you have a healer, a nuker, and a tank or two, you could fundamentally go through the non-random battles without grinding.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 03:26:12 PM
Knight's Break abilities are amazing, Weapon Guard and Equip Armor/Shield aren't too great.

Breaks become even better when used secondary on ranged weapons like Archers, gun-equipped Chemists, and Mustadio.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-14-2007 03:53:16 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Knight Rider:
Knight's Break abilities are amazing, Weapon Guard and Equip Armor/Shield aren't too great.

Breaks become even better when used secondary on ranged weapons like Archers, gun-equipped Chemists, and Mustadio.

So if I, say, use Rend Armor, the guy I use it on loses his armor for the fight? Or does he just get reduced effectiveness on it?

And yeah, I think after I get some of the break abilities, I'll take one of my three knights back to archer.

Alaan
posted 10-14-2007 03:58:39 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Captain Planet:
So if I, say, use Rend Armor, the guy I use it on loses his armor for the fight? Or does he just get reduced effectiveness on it?

And yeah, I think after I get some of the break abilities, I'll take one of my three knights back to archer.

It's gone. If you weapon break, it's gone. Getting punched isn't too dangerous.

Also: the new random names are an improvement. I was recruiting soldiers and got a Cutbert.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-14-2007 04:16:26 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

Equip armor is fantastic for monks thank you very much

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 04:20:35 PM
Until you get Two Swords, sure.
Alaan
posted 10-14-2007 04:27:06 PM
quote:
Greenlit obviously shouldn't have said:
Until you get Two Swords, sure.

Which is arguably the most broken ability in all of video gaming history. Two Swords Monk is just unstoppable. You could solo most of the game with it.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 04:32:36 PM
Two Swords Knight with Monk secondary. (Guts secondary if Ramza)

Excalibur and Save the Queen.

Party all night.

Arttemis
posted 10-14-2007 05:05:42 PM
What the hell is the point of the Onion Knight class? It can't equip any abilities, has no abilities of its own, and pretty much sucks as far as stats are considered.
LeMiere
posted 10-14-2007 05:09:53 PM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about Optimus Prime:
What the hell is the point of the Onion Knight class? It can't equip any abilities, has no abilities of its own, and pretty much sucks as far as stats are considered.

It becomes amazingly overpowered as you master other jobs. Stats increase based on that, I believe.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 07:55:10 PM
1) Get gain JP up. Put it on. Never take it off. Ignore all skills that use the same slot. Gain JP up is all you ever want there, until you don't want to change classes ever again.

2) Get +move skills as soon as possible. Move+1 from Squires is good, but Move+2 from Thieves is way better. If a character is female they will eventually get Move+3 as a dancer, but that's not too important.

3) Get one Black Mage or Summoner. They rape everything so much during the campaign. Give them as much +magic damage gear as possible and they will pretty much one shot everything with Bolt 2/Ramuh (and others).

4) Warrior break skills, while powerful, aren't really that useful when you consider that a mage could have instead dealt 70% of a units life with a 90% chance to hit, when the break does much less with a much, much smaller chance to hit. Because of this Knights are a fairly bad class to have more than one of. One to tank is more than enough, and after 10 or so hours into the campaign they become pretty much useless.

Oracles, White Mages, and Mediators are all pretty much useless. Damage dealing classes are far superior. One could argue against White Mages being useless, but a Chemist or Summoner can make them obsolete.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-14-2007 08:42:11 PM
Oracles and Mediators have their uses, particularly when you want to steal a special item from an enemy or poach a specific monster for their item. A lot of the Oracle stuff can be Arithmatic'd which does add to the usefulness too, in my opinion.

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 08:59:33 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
1) Get gain JP up. Put it on. Never take it off. Ignore all skills that use the same slot. Gain JP up is all you ever want there, until you don't want to change classes ever again.

2) Get +move skills as soon as possible. Move+1 from Squires is good, but Move+2 from Thieves is way better. If a character is female they will eventually get Move+3 as a dancer, but that's not too important.

3) Get one Black Mage or Summoner. They rape everything so much during the campaign. Give them as much +magic damage gear as possible and they will pretty much one shot everything with Bolt 2/Ramuh (and others).

4) Warrior break skills, while powerful, aren't really that useful when you consider that a mage could have instead dealt 70% of a units life with a 90% chance to hit, when the break does much less with a much, much smaller chance to hit. Because of this Knights are a fairly bad class to have more than one of. One to tank is more than enough, and after 10 or so hours into the campaign they become pretty much useless.

Oracles, White Mages, and Mediators are all pretty much useless. Damage dealing classes are far superior. One could argue against White Mages being useless, but a Chemist or Summoner can make them obsolete.

1) Gained JP is very useful when you're grinding out levels in random battles with a solid team, but to use it to the exclusion of all other Support abilities is simply stupid. Other support abilities like Half MP, Maintenance, Secret Hunt, Two Hands and Two Swords are so impossibly useful.

3) Offensive casting classes are amazing in story battles, but I would forego them entirely when it comes to random or grinding battles. Most of your enemies will be animals or monsters which are just a pain in the ass to deal with; flying types are murderously fast, and chocobos will often one-shot your robe-wearing units.

4) Equipment Break skills all have a 60%+ (30 to 55 + Weapon Power + Physical Attack) chance of hitting, which can be augmented heavily by Squire skills. Stat Breaks have a lower chance (Base 50% + Physical Attack) because they work on everything. A Ninja using Breaks, or a Knight with Two Swords, will have two Break attempts a turn. It is fucking debilitating.

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 09:01:42 PM
quote:
Azymyth had this to say about Tron:
Oracles and Mediators have their uses, particularly when you want to steal a special item from an enemy or poach a specific monster for their item. A lot of the Oracle stuff can be Arithmatic'd which does add to the usefulness too, in my opinion.

Calculators should only be casting Holy or Heals and absolutely nothing else. :crossarms:

Oracles really are a gimp job. Their status effects are nice and all, but have such low chances of hitting, and bring very little to the plate. Later in the game Beowulf puts them to shame. He's disgusting when used correctly, just like Agrias.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-14-2007 09:09:07 PM
True. Beowulf does own regular Oracles.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 10:46:29 PM
quote:
1) Gained JP is very useful when you're grinding out levels in random battles with a solid team, but to use it to the exclusion of all other Support abilities is simply stupid. Other support abilities like Half MP, Maintenance, Secret Hunt, Two Hands and Two Swords are so impossibly useful.

I find Two Hands and Two Swords to be fairly useless. Shield wearing classes are almost the only ones that happen to benefit from it, and shields are pretty boss.

Similarly, I find Half MP to be a waste. Casting classes should have enough MP to end the round by the time they use it all up. The only things that eat enough MP per spell to contradict this are huge summons that suck anyway because they take several actions to go off, when a quicker summon/spell will pretty much instant kill the enemies.

Maintenance is just crap. I've played through the game a half dozen times and I've lost maybe that many items the whole time to breaks.

Secret Hunt is useful. But I wouldn't bother with it on campaign maps, which are the only maps that should cause any difficulty.

quote:
3) Offensive casting classes are amazing in story battles, but I would forego them entirely when it comes to random or grinding battles. Most of your enemies will be animals or monsters which are just a pain in the ass to deal with; flying types are murderously fast, and chocobos will often one-shot your robe-wearing units.

Sticking to faster spells like the second-tier nukes should allow the spell to go off before getting hit, unless you walk him into range for some strange reason. For clarity, I mean to say "walking the hero close enough to a unit that will target it before his spell goes off." My casters walk up and boom something before it gets a chance to respond. Before level 40 everything moves pretty slow and this isn't a difficult task. Also, before level 40 nothing is going to one-shot a mage unless it is an off-colored chocobo.

I will admit mages aren't particularly useful at the 50-60+ level range, true. I was giving advice for the campaign.

quote:
4) Equipment Break skills all have a 60%+ (30 to 55 + Weapon Power + Physical Attack) chance of hitting, which can be augmented heavily by Squire skills. Stat Breaks have a lower chance (Base 50% + Physical Attack) because they work on everything. A Ninja using Breaks, or a Knight with Two Swords, will have two Break attempts a turn. It is fucking debilitating.

A Ninja could instead use two attacks a turn and his target is dead. Status Effects (I'm lobbing item breaks in with these) are basically useless in FFT because you can just kill your target is the same time it takes to inflict a disability.

Stat breaks are good for thieving difficult items of certain characters in the game. Dropping a unit's speed to one makes life easier for the thief. But that's why you use one unit with knight abilities, no more, and you use them sparingly, when they are actually useful.

Something to note is that I have played the overpowered unit combos and found that they aren't really enjoyable. Dancers/Mimes, Calculators, Ninjas and Orlandu all make the game far too easy, as if it weren't easy enough. If that's your play style then you might want to do things a little differently. I like using the less played classes like Geomancer, Bard, and Samurai.

The advice I'm giving is basically to get you through the campaign. If you want to DD to level 99 then go whatever the hell you want, you obviously know what you're doing at this point.

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 10-14-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 10:52:33 PM
Also: Time Mages are the best. Someone on your team must have haste.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 11:08:21 PM
Upon consideration, there are some JP up abilities that are quite useful. The problem is that they aren't more useful than JP up until you are established in your class with a level of permanence. That doesn't happen until quite late in the game.

So yes, stop using JP up when the benefit from it no longer seems worth it to you. I would be shocked if that happened before the campaign was finished.

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 11:20:09 PM
Geomancer is boss as hell once it's mastered. It's just such a pain in the ass to accumulate your way to having a full range of tile-based attacks.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-14-2007 11:43:50 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about dark elf butts:
Geomancer is boss as hell once it's mastered. It's just such a pain in the ass to accumulate your way to having a full range of tile-based attacks.

Just like Lancer.

They're just not as game-breaking as a ninja with better evasion and twice the speed and damage output as your shield wielding knights.

Plus, Geomancers are fun to play.

Also, one last note if it's your first time through the game. Do not use the same save file if you are entering a consecutive dungeon (i.e. a castle with chain battles that you cannot leave until finishing completely).

There is on such castle where, on your first time through, there are two possibly impossible to win fights. Well, one of them is winnable with enough attempts (stupid suicidal cunt), but the other can actually be impossible for you to win with your current available gear/classes.

I remember I had to turn Ramza into a squire/chemist and run around yelling myself over and over and using hi-potions to heal until I was fast enough to throw-stone/kite the cocksucker to death because I ran out of potions getting my speed up.

Greenlit
posted 10-14-2007 11:46:23 PM
And most people won't know what dungeons/castles those are so just keep like three cascading save files at all times.
Alaan
posted 10-15-2007 01:25:27 AM
I remember hitting those without a proper save on my first play through ages ago. I was stuck forever. Until I discovered Ramza+Monk+Two Swords. THen things DIED.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-15-2007 04:46:55 AM
There is one very important use for the Stat Break skills.

Enemies will always level up with you, and get massively better equipment in very short order.

That equipment will make you salivate and wish you had it.

Here's what you do. Kill the shit out of everything that doesn't have what you want.

Power Break the physical attackers.

Mind Break the mages.

Bring out your thieves and take everything you want.

I recall that it might be a little more difficult than that, but not much. I had the top tier shit in the game by the end of the first chapter the last time I played, minus the class specific stuff like guns and perfumes, and the plot specific stuff.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-15-2007 07:11:23 AM
If you're going to play random battles to the point of getting top tier gear, you might as well be Delidgamond and grind up to level fucking 99 on Sweegy Woods before hitting the third plot battle simply because phoenix downs instantly kill undead units.

Yes, he did this.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-15-2007 07:17:33 AM
quote:
One thousand monkies on one thousand typewriters would eventually write what Inferno-Spirit said;
If you're going to play random battles to the point of getting top tier gear, you might as well be Delidgamond and grind up to level fucking 99 on Sweegy Woods before hitting the third plot battle simply because phoenix downs instantly kill undead units.

Yes, he did this.

Don't exaggerate! 60 tops

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 10-15-2007 02:10:19 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Yes, he did this.

That is still the first thing I think of whenever someone mentions FFT to this day

nem-x
posted 10-15-2007 03:00:39 PM
if only delid could apply that grind to mmos
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: