EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WTF!? No Bioshock thread!?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-30-2007 06:31:22 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Duck Tales:
Ah fuck, of course. I missed that too!

.. does his body hang around?

A lot of the important bodies stick around. It's worth looking.

Alaan
posted 08-31-2007 01:29:08 AM
Scrounger can get you tons of U-Invent parts from empty bodies and crates. If a corpse is even halfway decent I don't reroll it.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-31-2007 05:36:37 AM
Maradon is the Sanders Cohen to my heart.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-31-2007 06:55:10 AM
quote:
Kegwen said:
A lot of the important bodies stick around. It's worth looking.

That worked, his body hangs around for a bit.

Woot.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-31-2007 01:53:10 PM
Is there a way to loot only one or two items from a corpse, without taking all of them?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-01-2007 04:04:51 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
Now that I bought the game I can finally read this thread.

If this game had a vagina, I'd fuck it.

If I weren't still playing it, I'd eject the dvd and fuck the hole, still warm from the 360's cherry-red glowing circuits.

I think that's all I have to say for now.

...ookay...I was scanning the thread looking for a decent review...guess this says it all?

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-01-2007 04:09:04 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael thought about the meaning of life:
...ookay...I was scanning the thread looking for a decent review...guess this says it all?

It's the best FPS since Half Life II, yes. Not on the same level as System Shock II, or Deus Ex, but close enough.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 04:09:33 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Khyron who doth quote:
Is there a way to loot only one or two items from a corpse, without taking all of them?

Not that I've found. Kinda irritating when a body has two bottles of booze and $103 on it and you don't want to get drunk.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2007 04:10:50 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael Model 2000 was programmed to say:

It's basically amazing. From what I've read, the only people that have a problem with the game are people who wanted it to be a System Shock 2 clone with even more depth than SS2 had. Unfortunately for those people the reality of the situation is that you can't spend 20+ million dollars developing a game that deep because you won't make that money back in sales

If Irrational hadn't focused on the shooter elements of the game so well and had instead opted to focus on the RPG elements, it would not have sold this well and Irrational would not be awarded the creative and financial freedom that they're likely to enjoy for whatever their next game is

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 09-01-2007 04:13:10 PM
Actually just from the demo oi'd reckon it's better than System Shock 2 (though it has no co-op, which is infuriating).
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 04:21:39 PM
Between research, the plasmids and tonics, the weapon upgrades, and the hacking system, I think they did a pretty good job of cramming in a ton of depth and complexity.

I also like the combat system, in that enemies that you meet at the beginning are still reasonably threatening late in the game.

Because it is such a good game, it's flaws, however minor, tend to be emphasized in the manner of a small pile of bunny poop on a field of pristine new fallen snow. Of the bunny, there is no trace.

The audio logs could be more elucidating of the backstory. Most of them are pretty short and limited in the information they give you.

Some of the weapons and plasmids could be more useful. With it's low ammo caps, fast ammo consumption, and zero stopping power, I find the chemical thrower permanently holstered along with the tommy gun for similar reasons. The grenade launcher would be a fine "save for large enemies" weapon if there were any large enemies to use it on. Granted I have not upgraded it at all yet, nor have I beaten the game.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2007 04:24:37 PM
The crossbow is the best weapon in the game

edit: I also agree that the game's depth was perfect. I'm just saying that the complaints that I've heard usually come from people who wanted a lot more. Other complaints address the difficulty and then a few minor issues that someone who isn't a cynical nitpicky asshole wouldn't bat an eye at

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Alaan
posted 09-01-2007 05:02:49 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:
Some of the weapons and plasmids could be more useful. With it's low ammo caps, fast ammo consumption, and zero stopping power, I find the chemical thrower permanently holstered along with the tommy gun for similar reasons. The grenade launcher would be a fine "save for large enemies" weapon if there were any large enemies to use it on. Granted I have not upgraded it at all yet, nor have I beaten the game.

I've been told the upgraded flamethrower+improved fire damage tonic is pretty brutal. I also never used the Tommy Gun though except for when I was fighting multiple enemies and using anti-personnel rounds.

Upgraded pistols is awesome if only for the ridiculous 24 round revolver attachment. And anti-personnel headshots.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 05:12:48 PM
You know, I never thought to use the human inferno elixir with the chemical thrower.
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-01-2007 06:16:54 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kegwen stammered:
The crossbow is the best weapon in the game

no, shotgun

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 06:22:27 PM
quote:
x--WilliasO-('-'Q) :
no, shotgun

I agree with this.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2007 07:49:17 PM
quote:
From the book of Willias, chapter 3, verse 16:
no, shotgun

Fully upgraded crossbow + camo plasmid = instant kill headshot hilarity

works well with the pistol and antipersonnel ammo as well, but with the crossbow I can recover my ammo

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-01-2007 07:59:41 PM
real men don't use camo

real men wade in with maximum damage reduction tonics, static bolt 3, and a shotgun loaded with explosive shells

Steven Steve
posted 09-01-2007 08:00:47 PM
Once I (hypothetically) get this game I will just be pure wrench
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2007 08:06:08 PM
quote:
This one time, at Willias camp:
real men don't use camo

real men wade in with maximum damage reduction tonics, static bolt 3, and a shotgun loaded with explosive shells

i've beat the game already i'm doing what's actually fun

my favorite part about the shotgun is when I walk up next to someone, less than 6 inches from them and shoot and it doesn't even take away 1/4 of their health yeah that's awesome

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-01-2007 08:19:59 PM
I kinda hated that. Used a lot of ammo.

But eh, that's what vending machines are for.

MUCHOS GRACIAS, SENOR!

Demos
Pancake
posted 09-01-2007 08:54:59 PM
Shotgun headshots drop a lot of splicers on hard. I'm not THAT far into hard yet though; already beat on medium and I'm takin my time now.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2007 09:27:58 PM
I'm in Apollo Square on my second run and I'm much better off using my crossbow almost exclusively at this point
Steven Steve
posted 09-01-2007 09:52:09 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Kegwen wrote:
i've beat the game already i'm doing what's actually fun

my favorite part about the shotgun is when I walk up next to someone, less than 6 inches from them and shoot and it doesn't even take away 1/4 of their health yeah that's awesome

Yes haha, I noticed that in the movies. I was like "Ugh fuck, another Doom 3 shotgun."

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 10:45:49 PM
Once you get to hephaestus the shotgun starts to shine less brightly. Until then you can more or less one-shot almost anything.

Also, I now use human inferno and the chemical thrower, and it is indeed pretty sweet, especially for groups of enemies. DOT FTW

Also, use telekinesis to pick up and drop enemy trap bolts without wasting ammo

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 11:26:54 PM
The fully upgraded crossbow has two HUGE disadvantages:

1) It takes up like 30% of the screen

and 2) The CONSTANT CLICKING SOUND IT MAKES

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-02-2007 01:11:10 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Maradon! said this:
The fully upgraded crossbow has two HUGE disadvantages:

1) It takes up like 30% of the screen

and 2) The CONSTANT CLICKING SOUND IT MAKES

1) yeah that sucks

2) I haven't really noticed and I play with a loud 7.1 setup

Steven Steve
posted 09-02-2007 01:48:04 AM
If Jack were actually aiming his guns reasonably, they'd all be taking up like 70% of the screen

Alaan
posted 09-02-2007 01:49:09 AM
quote:
I didn't think that even Stalwart Steve would get so drunk as to say:
If Jack were actually aiming his guns reasonably, they'd all be taking up like 70% of the screen

Plasmids, Steve, plasmids. Real splicers don't need to aim.

Maradon!
posted 09-02-2007 02:42:52 AM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
2) I haven't really noticed and I play with a loud 7.1 setup

It happens when you get the damage upgrade and it adds the two little gears to the back. I guess you just need to turn the volume up some?

quote:
x--Stalwart SteveO-('-'Q) :

Oho but if you use precise aiming, they do!

Tier
posted 09-02-2007 03:11:19 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
It happens when you get the damage upgrade and it adds the two little gears to the back. I guess you just need to turn the volume up some?

Actually, depending on sound setups, some sounds stand out a lot more than not. When playing with headphones, the camouflage sound would drive me nuts, happening every time I stopped for more than a second. When playing with the full 7.1 stereo, it's not even perceptible unless you look for it.

So get a better sound system

Maradon!
posted 09-02-2007 03:39:40 AM
I'm playing on a surround sound system already.

Anything else would only make the clicking noise sound better.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-02-2007 04:57:36 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:

Or I'm just lucky and haven't yet noticed the sound. I probably will next time I play, though, thanks to you.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-02-2007 05:36:58 AM
An upgraded crossbow and wrench tonics are all you'll need. The only reason to use anything else is because you're full on ammo and want to fuck around.
Maradon!
posted 09-02-2007 05:49:33 PM
What research am I missing?

I have fully researched everything that bestows an achievement. I have done gun turrets and the flying gun bots, I'm pretty sure. I've also finished wall cameras.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-02-2007 07:45:53 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
What research am I missing?

I have fully researched everything that bestows an achievement. I have done gun turrets and the flying gun bots, I'm pretty sure. I've also finished wall cameras.

Spider Slicer
Thug Slicer
Nitro Slicer
Gunner Slicer (Leadhead? I forget)
Huidini Slicer
Wall Camera
Security Bot
Gun Turret (any)
Rosie (Big Daddy)
Bouncer (Big Daddy)
Little Sister

I missed the Bouncer and Little Sister since I didn't know I was supposed to take lots of pictures until later in the game. Not really that bothered though.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 09-02-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-02-2007 08:32:40 PM
They're "splicers", mort

I think I might have missed the gun turrets. I wonder where I can find a non-hacked one, hmm

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-02-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-02-2007 08:37:13 PM
Blame the migraine.

3-day migraines ftl.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 09-03-2007 01:19:58 PM
I love fully researched splicers + wrench tonics. So much fun to run around beating large groups of splicers to death with a wrench. Only thing I ended up not using the wrench on were big daddys which I used the grenade launcher on, and the bosses which I mostly used explosive shotgun ammo or anti-personal machinegun.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Maradon!
posted 09-03-2007 01:57:03 PM
Don't forget the 2 damage research elixirs
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: