EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ITT MTGO
Malbi
posted 04-13-2007 10:47:55 PM
One with nothing is tons better than a card that by its very design is useless by itself...
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
nem-x
posted 04-13-2007 10:51:58 PM
imo that 8/0 is going to be popular

you nub

Malbi
posted 04-13-2007 10:55:45 PM
briefly maybe among the Timmy's but the Johnny and Spikes will pass over it pretty quick.
In green theres like what Gaea's anthem and MAYBE, graft effects that will be able to keep him from shooting straight to the graveyard but its a waste of a slot in your deck when your better off running something more reliable like spectral force.

Malbi fucked around with this message on 04-13-2007 at 10:57 PM.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Malbi
posted 04-13-2007 11:05:58 PM
plus of all the creatures to go nuts over you should be worrying about how big an impact Korlash, Vortax and Venser are going to make.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-14-2007 03:10:01 AM
quote:
Malbi painfully thought these words up:
One with nothing is tons better than a card that by its very design is useless by itself...

Uh, how is One with Nothing not useless by itself?

The only way it does anything productive is if you are relying on at least one other card that does something with either you discarding cards, or having 0 cards in hand or whatnot

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-14-2007 03:23:22 AM
My threashold/Hellbent deck loves One with Nothing
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Malbi
posted 04-14-2007 09:55:04 AM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Uh, how is One with Nothing not useless by itself?

The only way it does anything productive is if you are relying on at least one other card that does something with either you discarding cards, or having 0 cards in hand or whatnot

It makes you discard your hand one way or another thats an effect it did something.
you play the 8/0 it goes straight to the graveyard acomplishing nothing while One with Nothing has had some kind of effect regardless of what else was in hand and besides there are hundreds of cards that can benefit from it being played while there's maybe a dozen cards period that can even keep the 8/0 alive when it hits play and even then with 1 toughness its going to probably die before you ever get to swing with it. The only decent combination you can pull off with it might be with pandemonium out and it becomes a 8 point direct damage glorfied magic.

Vorago
posted 04-14-2007 11:07:49 AM
quote:
Malbi wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
It makes you discard your hand one way or another thats an effect it did something.
you play the 8/0 it goes straight to the graveyard acomplishing nothing while One with Nothing has had some kind of effect regardless of what else was in hand and besides there are hundreds of cards that can benefit from it being played while there's maybe a dozen cards period that can even keep the 8/0 alive when it hits play and even then with 1 toughness its going to probably die before you ever get to swing with it. The only decent combination you can pull off with it might be with pandemonium out and it becomes a 8 point direct damage glorfied magic.

Regardless, One With Nothing is useless by itself. Add some black to Boros Deck Wins to play it, end result, nothing?

In fact, it is actually worse since at least the creature by itself just kills itself and wastes a card. One with nothing, at the bare minimum, wastes itself when played and potentially even more cards. Both require other cards to be based around them, otherwise they are useless (Or in the case of one with nothing, potentially worse than useless)

Vorago fucked around with this message on 04-14-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-14-2007 11:08:46 AM
They both suck.

Shut up.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Vorago
posted 04-14-2007 11:12:36 AM
quote:
How.... Malbi.... uughhhhhh:
briefly maybe among the Timmy's but the Johnny and Spikes will pass over it pretty quick.
In green theres like what Gaea's anthem and MAYBE, graft effects that will be able to keep him from shooting straight to the graveyard but its a waste of a slot in your deck when your better off running something more reliable like spectral force.

As I said, it will see play among a niche crowd of people that play decks based around Gaea's Anthem

Which is going to be a lot more play than One With Nothing ever saw during it's run

Vorago fucked around with this message on 04-14-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 04-14-2007 11:56:13 AM
Simple Strategy. Turn 1, 1 swamp, play 1 dark ritual, play Exhume, and in response, play One With Nothing. You pitch your hand, then Exhume goes off. Any 1 creature in your hand hits the field first turn.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-14-2007 12:29:58 PM
Invasion Strategy. Three mana for 8 damage. Yay! Or anything else that keys off of Attack. People will find uses for something that crazy simply because 3 mana for 8 of anything has the potential to be broken, you just have to gyrate correctly to make it broken.
Malbi
posted 04-14-2007 02:15:25 PM
keyword abilities that combo with One with Nothing: Dredge, Threshold, Flashback, Madness, Hellbent. Couple that with effects like Ensnaring Bridge, Haakon, Body Double, the revamped nether shadow that just got printed, One with nothing has plenty of applications, not to mention a way to set off a reanimation strategy.

Tormod's crypt got reprinted in Time spiral for a reason graveyard based strategies are very powerful and getting to a point of being degenerate without grave yard hosing elements. There adding even more graveyard control in Future Sight to handle it.

Vorago
posted 04-14-2007 03:01:30 PM
quote:
Verily, Malbi doth proclaim:
keyword abilities that combo with One with Nothing: Dredge, Threshold, Flashback, Madness, Hellbent. Couple that with effects like Ensnaring Bridge, Haakon, Body Double, the revamped nether shadow that just got printed, One with nothing has plenty of applications, not to mention a way to set off a reanimation strategy.

Tormod's crypt got reprinted in Time spiral for a reason graveyard based strategies are very powerful and getting to a point of being degenerate without grave yard hosing elements. There adding even more graveyard control in Future Sight to handle it.

I think you have lost sight of what this was originally about man

You felt the 8/0 was wholly useless and should never have been printed because it is a card requiring at least one other card to do cool things

I pointed out that Wizards makes cards in every set that carry that exact function, they require other cards to do things and by themselves are pretty damn bad

By listing off the myriad of combos one can use for my example 'bad card', you have re-affirmed by point by explaining in detail how a card that is very bad on the surface does have uses, when paired with multiple other cards.

Which is exactly what I have been saying this entire time, yes a card can suck singularly, but if you look at it from enough angles, even directly bad cards like that can function when part of a set of cards or entire deck.

It doesn't matter if one 'bad card' has more uses then the other, the fact is both HAVE uses in one manner or another

Vorago
posted 04-14-2007 03:10:48 PM
No picture up for it yet, but another creature in future sight...

it is a -1/3 double strike that you can pump +1/+0 for each red. Base negative power, that is a shockingly neat idea

nem-x
posted 04-15-2007 07:01:00 AM
nem-x
posted 04-15-2007 07:04:42 AM
Vorago
posted 04-15-2007 01:55:03 PM

It appears my opponent did not approve of my draft deck choices

I ended up going nearly pure mono black bumrushwtf, had just a faint splash of green. Plague Sliver, Bad Moon, Nightshade Assassin, Dauthi Slayer, Skulking Knight, Phyrexian Totems (Multiple, woo!), Sangrophage... if it was cheap, offensive and black I pretty much had it.

First game against the guy in the screenshot it went...
turn 1 - suspend mindstab
turn 2 - dauthi slayer
turn 3 - Skulking Knight
turn 4 - Nightshade assassin to kill his only creature

Was so damn brutal, yet awesome!

(Friend got back into MTGO, wanted to do a draft... naturally we end up against each other first round though, rofl)

Ended up getting 2nd place and having some fun, can't complain... now to convert these prize packs into mucho tickets

Malbi
posted 04-15-2007 05:42:20 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Vorago wrote:

It appears my opponent did not approve of my draft deck choices

I ended up going nearly pure mono black bumrushwtf, had just a faint splash of green. Plague Sliver, Bad Moon, Nightshade Assassin, Dauthi Slayer, Skulking Knight, Phyrexian Totems (Multiple, woo!), Sangrophage... if it was cheap, offensive and black I pretty much had it.

First game against the guy in the screenshot it went...
turn 1 - suspend mindstab
turn 2 - dauthi slayer
turn 3 - Skulking Knight
turn 4 - Nightshade assassin to kill his only creature

Was so damn brutal, yet awesome!

(Friend got back into MTGO, wanted to do a draft... naturally we end up against each other first round though, rofl)

Ended up getting 2nd place and having some fun, can't complain... now to convert these prize packs into mucho tickets

Your friend must be greatly inexperienced with playing in drafts those creatures are pretty good for limited. and I see two negator tokens from the totem on your side good god, thats great for limited, not surprised you went second if you were able to pulls off a monocolored deck and black is strong in Time Spiral block.
Vorago
posted 04-15-2007 05:59:12 PM
Malbi
posted 04-15-2007 06:16:09 PM
quote:
From the book of Vorago, chapter 3, verse 16:
Oh no haha, my friend isn't the one bitching at me in the screenshot

oh in that case anyone playing clockwork hydra can't talk about crap creatures sheesh.

Vorago
posted 04-27-2007 03:40:04 PM

Turn 20... note the library totals haha. My totems were crammed into the last 13 bloody cards of my library, figures

Highlighted as my current card selection is Haakon, taking a well deserved nap in the graveyard after being counterspelled 5 times and outright killed 5 other times over the course of the game. I was starting to feel sort of bad for him... he got burned down, confiscated (At which point I played a 2nd Haakon and made us each lose 2 life) and even cloned once. When you rely on counterspells and burn to keep your opponent from attacking, Haakon must be a living nightmare for ya.

Haakon forced him to tap out to play Niv-Mizzet after killing Haakon a half dozen times and deciding that sure wasn't working out too great, but in doing so gave me the chance to drop my first Null Profusion at which point it became a hilarious card advantage war where I was replacing every spell he was countering without missing a beat while forcing him to keep Haakon away.

Then I finally got my totems from my library and put him to -18 in one swing, heh

Now THAT was a fun ass game!

Malbi
posted 04-27-2007 10:42:38 PM
what are your methods of getting haakon into the graveyard?
Vorago
posted 04-28-2007 11:52:27 AM
At the moment, Smallpox, Lightning Axe and Jaya, Task Mage

Can't wait for future sight, really like some of the madness enablers in there

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: