EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ITT MTGO
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-19-2007 01:25:37 PM
So then what, exactly, was your point in whining about other people's tactics? You spent quite a bit of time saying how horrible others are for doing things you don't find fun, if all you meant is that you prefer to play at a different level. Since when does an opponent owe you anything other than that he plays by the rules?

You can't have it both ways. You also did say

quote:
The response is always "go get a better deck then", or something equally asinine.

Why is that asinine? If you're whining about losing--which you'd have to be to get a response like that--it's a perfectly reasonable response. It's not someone else's responsibility to make sure you have fun by adopting a less sure strategy. And don't claim that's not what you're saying; there's no point in any of your whining if that isn't the underlying reason.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-19-2007 01:48:37 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Duck Tales:
So then what, exactly, was your point in whining about other people's tactics? You spent quite a bit of time saying how horrible others are for doing things you don't find fun, if all you meant is that you prefer to play at a different level. Since when does an opponent owe you anything other than that he plays by the rules?

Why is that asinine? If you're whining about losing--which you'd have to be to get a response like that--it's a perfectly reasonable response. It's not someone else's responsibility to make sure you have fun by adopting a less sure strategy. And don't claim that's not what you're saying; there's no point in any of your whining if that isn't the underlying reason.

I never said people were horrible. I said they like a different style of game than I do.

Oh, I see you've made several more assumptions. If you make enough accusations you'll find one that seems remotely close enough to ignore all the other noise you've been making.

You assume I've been whining about losing, (which I haven't in this thread and here you are saying "go get a better deck") when instead I simply quit games when people break out the land destruction. Then what happens? I get private messages saying things like "lern 2 ply" while I play my next game.

I'm allowed to quit a game that is in session. I don't, unless someone is playing control. But I can. And that's all I do.

My only complaint was the original card mentioned here, "Umezawa's Jitte". This card became extremely expensive, and extremely effective in all decks that used creatures (re: all non-control decks, a deck style that I myself, and others, do not enjoy playing against).

Magic has a lot of different cards, most of which do not warrant tournament play. Why is this? Variety and creativity. But this one card became necessary to them all just to merely have a chance at surviving. Even the creative decks started using them because hey, it's still the creative deck, just with a Jitte as well.

Wizards have only rarely and mistakenly created cards that were so effective they were used in almost all decks. Take a look at the Moxes. They don't exist any more because every deck used them. They were so powerful that games actually came down to who won the coin toss, because going first was a good a victory.

Also, I'm not saying that people can't tell me to get a better deck to play against them. I'd have to, woulnd't I? The point I was making with that sentence was that people who play control will say that if I make it at all clear that I don't want to play against them. I don't want to play against them. Even if I could win every time.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 02-19-2007 02:02:10 PM
Inferno, if you want to beat a control deck, all you need to do is play a fast paced creature deck. Goblins, or any of the other white weenie style decks. The cheapest counterspell costs 2 land, and all you have to do is fool the control deck into blowing CS on the wrong creature.

Also, the new sets added Split second spells which cannot be countered.

In conclusion, stop whining or stop playing a competitive card game, and go play Scrabble or something.

"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-19-2007 02:23:00 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about Captain Planet:
Wizards have only rarely and mistakenly created cards that were so effective they were used in almost all decks. Take a look at the Moxes. They don't exist any more because every deck used them. They were so powerful that games actually came down to who won the coin toss, because going first was a good a victory.

Ahh the classic days of the Urza's block, where turn 2 was a nearly mythical thing

Vorago fucked around with this message on 02-19-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Vorago
posted 02-19-2007 02:29:05 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii painfully thought these words up:
Inferno, if you want to beat a control deck, all you need to do is play a fast paced creature deck. Goblins, or any of the other white weenie style decks. The cheapest counterspell costs 2 land, and all you have to do is fool the control deck into blowing CS on the wrong creature.

In conclusion, stop whining or stop playing a competitive card game, and go play Scrabble or something.

So I'm assuming you just didn't read the last few posts in this thread before chiming in and missing the point ENTIRELY?

nem-x
posted 02-19-2007 02:42:18 PM
Malbi
posted 02-19-2007 05:21:40 PM
quote:
nem-x painfully thought these words up:

Yeah Stuffy Doll is a interesting lil card.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-19-2007 11:08:48 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii thought about the meaning of life:

You can't be serious. There's no way you read anything but the last post before you posted that.

The whole point of everything I've been saying in this thread is that I don't care if I can beat a control deck. I simply don't want to play against a control deck either way. I definitely don't want to have to play a specific deck that has a higher chance of beating a control deck for that exact purpose.

I understand how to beat a control deck. I understand how to beat, or at least become extremely competitive with, control decks. I understand how to make effective control decks. I don't, despite all of this, enjoy playing with or against a control deck. It doesn't have to deal with being competitive, it has to deal with the amount of fun I have due to interactive gameplay.

Also, Scrabble is one of the most competitive and difficult games in existance.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Malbi
posted 02-20-2007 12:19:08 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Inferno-Spirit:
You can't be serious. There's no way you read anything but the last post before you posted that.

The whole point of everything I've been saying in this thread is that I don't care if I can beat a control deck. I simply don't want to play against a control deck either way. I definitely don't want to have to play a specific deck that has a higher chance of beating a control deck for that exact purpose.

I understand how to beat a control deck. I understand how to beat, or at least become extremely competitive with, control decks. I understand how to make effective control decks. I don't, despite all of this, enjoy playing with or against a control deck. It doesn't have to deal with being competitive, it has to deal with the amount of fun I have due to interactive gameplay.

Also, Scrabble is one of the most competitive and difficult games in existance.

Im curious as to what you define as interactive gameplay, as I find control decks far more interactive than the races for the red zone that go on between aggro decks.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-20-2007 12:36:56 AM
quote:
I suppose the same could be said of all Malbis...
Im curious as to what you define as interactive gameplay, as I find control decks far more interactive than the races for the red zone that go on between aggro decks.

Interaction means that both players are playing cards. Generally on every turn.

A lack of interaction is caused by decks that severely limit one player's ability to play cards, like counter-heavy decks.

There's also no interaction, which is generally caused by FTK decks. I do not believe that FTK decks should be allowed to exist in any game for this reason.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-20-2007 12:38:23 AM
If no matter what I do it doesn't matter, it isn't very interactive for me is it?

If I play all my spells I play get countered, bounced, or removed from play then it is 100% pointless for me to do anything at all. What fun is that?

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-20-2007 01:08:22 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Densetsu said this:
Interaction means that both players are playing cards. Generally on every turn.

A lack of interaction is caused by decks that severely limit one player's ability to play cards, like counter-heavy decks.

There's also no interaction, which is generally caused by FTK decks. I do not believe that FTK decks should be allowed to exist in any game for this reason.

If FTK = Flametongue Kavu, it's one of the few unbanned cards that Wizards has publicly stated was a mistake to print.

And as far as interaction goes: one player casting a creature, and the other playing killing it with a spell, or countering it, before it has a chance to act in any way, does not count as interaction. It's not a problem on a small scale, but when the whole game is like that, it's not fun.

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 02-20-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Vorago
posted 02-20-2007 04:05:22 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Inferno-Spirit said:
If FTK = Flametongue Kavu, it's one of the few unbanned cards that Wizards has publicly stated was a mistake to print.

And as far as interaction goes: one player casting a creature, and the other playing killing it with a spell, or countering it, before it has a chance to act in any way, does not count as interaction. It's not a problem on a small scale, but when the whole game is like that, it's not fun.

Looking at it, I think FTK is short for "First turn kill"

Not to say Flametongue Kavu wasn't anything but a stupid, stupid card mind you

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-20-2007 09:17:17 AM
quote:
Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as Inferno-Spirit!

FTK is First Turn Kill.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-20-2007 09:30:11 AM
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.
Vorago
posted 02-20-2007 12:58:23 PM
nem-x
posted 02-20-2007 07:51:51 PM
That set isn't even out yet, but laffo. 9 mana costing things aren't so big anymore these days.
Malbi
posted 02-21-2007 01:59:54 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Vorago:

you forgot this

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-21-2007 07:22:45 AM
Tell me there is still a card in the environment that gives all creatures haste. Because if so, oh dear god that is hilarious.
Malbi
posted 02-21-2007 08:53:45 AM
nope In web of war rotated out with Kamigawa block. Can't find anything else similar since.
nem-x
posted 02-21-2007 07:43:28 PM
Blackened
posted 02-21-2007 07:52:27 PM
^^ Explain.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
nem-x
posted 02-21-2007 08:07:02 PM

Costs 40 bucks now

nem-x fucked around with this message on 02-21-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Vorago
posted 02-21-2007 11:44:04 PM
nem-x
posted 02-22-2007 03:26:28 AM
wo ho ho ho ho

nem-x fucked around with this message on 02-22-2007 at 03:26 AM.

nem-x
posted 02-22-2007 06:03:32 AM
Me and Batty just played the most epic game that ever was. Batty kept pummeling them with beasts that kept coming, everyone was top decking multiple times just at the right time, land control switching back and forth, spells and creatures being countered and copied and thieved and backfired. All the leshrac's I control were the result of commandeering blatants and replicating mimeofactures.

And here's the final shot for the game winning turn

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-22-2007 08:35:18 AM
Trying this again. Last game Nem and I played tonight. Pretty much top decking a ton of shit and raping.

Batty fucked around with this message on 02-22-2007 at 08:43 AM.

nem-x
posted 02-28-2007 01:54:12 AM
Worst mimeofacture ever, I only have one tower of eons and niv-mizzet in my deck. And of course the bogardans.

nem-x fucked around with this message on 02-28-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-02-2007 01:04:36 AM
slivers or notin
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 03-02-2007 02:50:30 PM
I haven't played M:tG since Homelands. I don't think I could adjust.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Vorago
posted 03-02-2007 07:50:44 PM
quote:
Delidgamond impressed everyone with:
slivers or notin

OK then, what does everyone think is the best colour combo to play slivers currently?

You know, standard/extended... none of that Crystalline Sliver BS from tempest... so broken

Malbi
posted 03-03-2007 11:37:41 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Vorago was all like:
OK then, what does everyone think is the best colour combo to play slivers currently?

You know, standard/extended... none of that Crystalline Sliver BS from tempest... so broken

probably white/black/red, as I am not very impressed with the green or blue slivers, and having sinew sliver and ghostflame sliver at your disposal is nice.

Vorago
posted 03-03-2007 07:09:12 PM
Sedge Sliver > All. Of all the slivers that can be currently played, that one scares me the most

Well, I suppose in theory that white one that makes all slivers return to your hand when they die could be worse, but never even seen it played

But for only 3 mana, Sedge Sliver is one scary ass thing

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-03-2007 10:52:52 PM
Crystaline Sliver was so much fun. Dropping that first turn was just comedy gold.
nem-x
posted 03-04-2007 09:06:27 PM
nem-x
posted 03-05-2007 02:14:46 PM
Cheerleader squad getting stomped, 22dmg in one turn.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 03-05-2007 02:24:57 PM
you stole my deck
nem-x
posted 03-05-2007 02:33:37 PM
Your deck can't do this!

Sealed tournaments suck btw
freakin bogardans and teferis

nem-x
posted 03-05-2007 04:39:41 PM
nem-x