EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warhammer 40Kers?
Dave
)_(
posted 09-05-2005 05:10:57 AM
Well first off, if you play in a game that is atleast 1500 points and if a carn is 115 points or less it can count as an elite choice.

They made new guard models that I like alot, they come with talons and claws now and still have the +3 save.

Alot of space marine armies have the furious charge rule, as does chaos. I'm sure there is some sort of ig chapter that can get it some how. In space marine armies it is mostly command squads and some term squads.

My tyranid army is a BEAST. It was a theory army that I came up with after the codex came out. I am in first place in a long going tourment in my local shop. I've only lost twice so far but that was because of huge player error on my part.

I belive I'm around 10 and 2 with this list.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 09-05-2005 01:03:15 PM
more people need to play sisters of battle, they devistate the nids due to all the flamer weapontry. That and they're artillery is AN ORGAN THAT SHOOTS ROCKETS! HOW COOL IS THAT.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 01:27:36 PM
quote:
Liam startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
How do you field 6 carni's in 4e? I haven't read the new codex, but I'm assuming you can genomorph them into something besides heavy?

Troop somehow? That'd kickass. I'd be a shooty asshole with 3 carni troops.

Genomorphing doesn't exist any more, but there are all sorts of cool biomorphs available as upgrades (sort of like wargear) to the various beasties.

And 'Fexes under a certain point limit can be taken as Elite choices. Not the most effective army in larger games, but if you whip out 4 or 5 TMCs in a 1000-point game, your opponent will be like . Forgot about the 1500 threshold for Elite 'Fexes. . .but you can still get 5 TMCs in 1000 points by just using HQ and HS.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 09-05-2005 at 01:30 PM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-05-2005 03:25:24 PM
Can a carnifex still be killed by a Lasgun or bolt gun? I will never forget the stupidity of that happening in an official battle report back shortly after the 3rd ed codex came out.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-05-2005 03:28:37 PM
quote:
Azizza thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Can a carnifex still be killed by a Lasgun or bolt gun? I will never forget the stupidity of that happening in an official battle report back shortly after the 3rd ed codex came out.

They're base toughness 6, so they can be wounded by either on a to-wound roll of 6, though their toughness can be made 7, making them immune to lasguns.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-05-2005 03:34:21 PM
That is just so wrong. A stock Carnifex should never be woundable (is that a word?) by anything less than a plasma gun. Hell Against my buddies Trio Of carnifex I need a 4+ with a lascannon at STR 9 to wound one. It sucks but it matches all background fluff.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 03:35:52 PM
quote:
Quoth Azizza:

Lasgun can only wound on a 6, if the 'Fex hasn't upgraded its Toughness. The 'Fexes also have a cool Regeneration ability that allows them to roll a die for each missing wound at the beginning of a turn, and gain back any that roll a 6. Not high odds, but makes it sporty.

A bolter, if it hits, always needs a 6 to wound.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 09-05-2005 at 03:36 PM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-05-2005 03:39:18 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bloodsage stammered:
Lasgun can only wound on a 6, if the 'Fex hasn't upgraded its Toughness. The 'Fexes also have a cool Regeneration ability that allows them to roll a die for each missing wound at the beginning of a turn, and gain back any that roll a 6. Not high odds, but makes it sporty.

A bolter, if it hits, always needs a 6 to wound.

That used to be a biomorph you could get. Except it was on a 4+ they regained a wound even if they were "dead" and even if you had previously failed, It borders on cheese although it is 10 points per wound of a model so for a Fex it would cost you 100 points in the old rules. I think I like it better under the new rules where you need a 6 instead. Much more balanced. I still disagree with a basic shooting weapon being able to do anything to one though especially considering the new model.

Azizza fucked around with this message on 09-05-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 03:44:00 PM
Well, when you combine that 6 to wound with a 3+ or a 2+ save, it's pretty low probability.

There's no longer an ability to get up after being killed, though there's a psychic power that gives units the ability to strike in CC even if they're killed before their turn to strike. And critters in Synapse range are immune from instant death due to high-strength weapons.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-05-2005 03:55:49 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was naked while typing this:
Well, when you combine that 6 to wound with a 3+ or a 2+ save, it's pretty low probability.

There's no longer an ability to get up after being killed, though there's a psychic power that gives units the ability to strike in CC even if they're killed before their turn to strike. And critters in Synapse range are immune from instant death due to high-strength weapons.

Yes, you have a 1/2 (IG BS 3)or 2/3 (SM or Stormtrooper BS4) chance to hit, 1/6 chance to wound, and if they've upgraded armor, only a 1/6 chance to fail an armor save. So even if you have a full squad of 10 marines putting all their bolter fire at a Carni at rapid fire range (20 shots), roughly 7 of those will hit, 1 or 2 will wound, and there's a very low probability that either of those wounds won't be saved. Even if the carni does fail, there's 3 or 4 more wounds to worry about. The the carni charges and basically says "I win"

With those odds, it's infinitely more productive to pour fire into the gaunts and let your devastators with lascannons/missile launchers or lascannon-predators deal with the big things. Either that or a hidden powerfist, since I think the carni's still I1.

Dave
)_(
posted 09-05-2005 03:58:36 PM
I still miss the 2nd ed days for tyranids. Voltage field for the win! I still have my codex.

My fexes have +1 bs +1 t +1 w +1 save vennom cannnon, and a barbed stranglers.

My elite fexes have +1 bs and two twin linked devours. They pump out 8 str 6 shots that I get to re-roll to hit and re-roll to wound.

I use 3 of each, two squads of genestealers and then two hive tyrants with vennom cannons.

The list is a BEAST. I'm in first place at the local tourment right now, I've only lost 2 out of about 12 games and that was because of major errors on my self.

Dave
)_(
posted 09-05-2005 04:00:53 PM
Well thats not true... if your carn is not tooled out for hth charging into hth with a tac squad is a bad idea. Because of the hidden power fist rules the carn can easly be pounded to death.
Skaw
posted 09-05-2005 04:58:52 PM
I had my Carnifex slowly die to a horde of Gretchin back in the day when me and my friend Dave pit both our full armies against eachother. After about the 30th Gretchin getting a hit in, enough attack bonuses was starting to show when they were actually wounding it. haha.

And then it eventually died to a Squig injection. Which was do or die on my friends part, since at that point enough gretchin had died out to where there wasn't enough to build up that attack bonus.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 09-05-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 09-05-2005 09:19:38 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Azizza!
That is just so wrong. A stock Carnifex should never be woundable (is that a word?) by anything less than a plasma gun. Hell Against my buddies Trio Of carnifex I need a 4+ with a lascannon at STR 9 to wound one. It sucks but it matches all background fluff.

3rd and 4th edtions had Lascannons as pretty much the most powerfull looking regular guns in game. Why Shouldn't it take out a Carnifex?

-- The only other Guns That have more power to them that I know of are like the Tau Railguns, and I think the Eldar D-gun/cannon/whatever

Also the Carnifex army, I think that is just for scareing your opponent, those new Carnifexs are big ones

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-05-2005 11:49:23 PM
Does the new Tyranid codex have The Red Terror listed as a special character still? I loved that ability to not just slash a unit, but choose instead to eat the guy.Ignoring the rolls for toughness at the cost of giving up the other 4 attacks
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-06-2005 12:12:22 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Rodent King gently hums:
Does the new Tyranid codex have The Red Terror listed as a special character still? I loved that ability to not just slash a unit, but choose instead to eat the guy.Ignoring the rolls for toughness at the cost of giving up the other 4 attacks

He's not in the new codex. Not even sold anymore.

Dave
)_(
posted 09-06-2005 02:03:18 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bloodsage wrote:
He's not in the new codex. Not even sold anymore.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/1/

Dave fucked around with this message on 09-06-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 09-06-2005 02:33:01 AM
[complain]

THE DARK ELDAR NEED SOME NEW SHIT!~ They have gotten 0 love from anyone and are EASILY slaughterable by.. anyone... pretty much.
Even forge world hasnt given the DE lots of love, THEY HAVE 1 3 flying unit, and thats it![/complain]

Y.O.T.C fucked around with this message on 09-06-2005 at 02:36 AM.

Dave
)_(
posted 09-06-2005 03:10:26 AM
Please... de are very very nasty.
Peter
Pancake
posted 09-06-2005 06:54:23 AM
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-06-2005 09:46:51 AM
Funny--guess my page didn't load all the way when I looked in the store.

Although you'd need the old codex to field either of the old special characters, since they aren't in the new one.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-06-2005 09:54:55 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Bloodsage said:

Although you'd need the old codex to field either of the old special characters, since they aren't in the new one.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/2/

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-06-2005 12:27:01 PM
Yes, the UK site has a lot of goodies not on the US site.
Dave
)_(
posted 09-07-2005 12:22:57 AM
Yea, you are better off as a player going to the uk and ca games workshop websites.

They have alot more articals and stuff than the us one does by far.
If you don't use army builder be sure to print out the refernce sheets for your army. And be sure to download the 40k 4th ed faq for your army if the codex hasn't come out yet. They do change alot of things depending on your army.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 09-07-2005 02:02:21 AM
quote:
Dave said this about your mom:
Yea, you are better off as a player going to the uk and ca games workshop websites.

They have alot more articals and stuff than the us one does by far.
If you don't use army builder be sure to print out the refernce sheets for your army. And be sure to download the 40k 4th ed faq for your army if the codex hasn't come out yet. They do change alot of things depending on your army.

If you do use army builder watch out for minor discrepancies in the rules. I heard its not always up to date with minor rule changes.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Dave
)_(
posted 09-07-2005 03:39:40 AM
Army builder is a great tool, but not a guideline. I normaly army builder up a list and then double check it using a rule book and paper.

The nice thing about the new one is you can go in and easly change some of the things they mess up on. Like point costs stats etc.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: