EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tracking the Polls 11/1: Kerry 298, Bush 231
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-12-2004 08:23:10 PM
quote:
Vorbis came out of the closet to say:
could be tied.

It could be, but it's extremely unlikely. You'd need an odd collection of states to get a split electoral college.

But, if it does happen, never fear, the Constitution has provisions for it. And it wouldn't be the first time that a Presidential election has gone to Congress due to lack of a majority in the electoral college.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-13-2004 07:44:26 PM
I'll be interested in seeing how things go with tonight's debate, given that the subject is domestic policy. Both sides seem to have a hard time focusing on that. You practically make a drinking game out of it. Someone mentions terrorism, take a drink. Someone mentions homeland security, take a drink. Someone (and it could be either party; if one doesn't mention it in one context, the other will in another context) mentions Iraq, finish the bottle.

I'm wary of the public debates we've had.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-14-2004 11:15:38 AM
You could also play, "Dodge the shot." Take a drink whenever Bush or Kerry totally blows off the question in favor of rambling on about something only marginally related to the topic.

You'd be dead by the end of the night.

Alaan
posted 10-14-2004 12:48:07 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee wrote this stupid crap:
You could also play, "Dodge the shot." Take a drink whenever Bush or Kerry totally blows off the question in favor of rambling on about something only marginally related to the topic.

You'd be dead by the end of the night.

It was funny. Kerry was like "Look how the President didn't answer the question!" And then he didn't respond to it either, he went back to the last question.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-14-2004 02:50:20 PM
Presidential Election Drinking Games rock.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Alaan
posted 10-14-2004 06:57:01 PM
The other funny bit I remember is the question to Kerry about how some people say voting for him is a vote for damnation.
Dr. Gee
posted 10-14-2004 07:15:11 PM
Wait, what? I must have missed that one

Or do you mean the abortion thing? Cause i thought his answer about that one rocked the house.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-15-2004 02:37:58 PM
I think if the moderator posed the question about the church condeming Kerry for abortion, it should have also mentioned how the church also condemned Bush for the death penalty.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-16-2004 09:51:14 AM
What effect do you think this will have on the election? A big one or a small one?

Thinking in terms of a Commonwealth nation, the word "Dismissal" comes to mind...

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 10-16-2004 at 10:00 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2004 01:53:21 PM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about Tron:
What effect do you think this will have on the election? A big one or a small one?

Thinking in terms of a Commonwealth nation, the word "Dismissal" comes to mind...

And here I thought you were a disciplined thinker who could see through blatant scare tactics and sloppy use of numbers.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-16-2004 at 01:54 PM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-16-2004 02:09:10 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:
And here I thought you were a disciplined thinker who could see through blatant scare tactics and sloppy use of numbers.

Ack! Whoops.

Well, when I'm paying attention. Mind you, scare tactics on interest rates are extremely effective, so the question stands.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2004 02:16:31 PM
The scare-mongers will always quote the raw numbers, in hopes of stunning people with their magnitude. The important thing is the ratio of debt to GDP. . .which still isn't pretty, but is hardly catastrophic nor is it out of line with other first-world economies.

National policy is always a series of priorities and trade-offs. Under Reagan, for example, the debt soared and inflation blossomed--but that was the price of winning the Cold War decisively.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-16-2004 02:24:18 PM
I think I can see a possible explanation for Japan's suicide rate, on that graph.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2004 03:16:59 PM
Similar deal with the scare tactics over the price of oil. When viewed in constant dollars, we're nowhere near record highs.

edit: tpyo

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-16-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-16-2004 03:34:00 PM
[Edit: Not on topic, and Pved went to bed.]

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 10-18-2004 at 01:44 AM.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-18-2004 08:07:16 PM
Map updated 10/18
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-19-2004 03:31:18 PM
What would be more interesting would be to see a % change from 1993 GDP line overlayed on that graph. I think that would give additional perspective on the actual dept situation.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-22-2004 01:50:37 PM
Oy-vie...looks like Florida is going to be another mire of stupidity and shady underhanded vote tampering...

Wah?

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Flea
Pancake
posted 10-23-2004 03:31:44 AM
Hay guys, I've been following this election rather closely. Here are a few things I've discovered from watching CNN/MSNBC/The Daily Show (Mostly from The Daily Show)

2 out of ever 3 people in the rest of the world want Kerry to be elected. As the news person talked to a few nationals from China/England, wherever, they all said that if we re-elect Bush, USA will lose more respect in the eyes of the rest of the world.

George Bush says...."I don't believe in a full volunteer army"

We are using electronic polling machines which have been proven to lack sufficient security. A team of hackers was able to enter one, change the results of a mock election, and get out within 5 minutes without being detected or leaving any evidence that they were there. This is why I plan to use an absentee ballot to vote.

Florida is going to f*ck up the election again, and in preparation for Florida's mess up, both sides have already gotten their trial lawyers ready.

I have more to say, just not now. I'll post more as more topics are brought up.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 10-23-2004 10:39:37 AM
As Drysart mentioned earlier, there's an amendment to the Colorado Constitution (Amendment 36) on the ballot that would require Colorado electoral votes to be split according to the popular vote. This would be retroactively applied to the 2004 election.

Currently, it's one of the few amendments on the ballot that seems to be winning in the polls. Personally, I'm against it, not simply on principle but because I think it's poor electoral politics; the idea of having to go back after the election and change electoral votes around is less than attractive, in my opinion, especially if the race ends up close enough to where such a change could make a difference (doubtful, admittedly).

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-24-2004 03:45:27 AM
The electoral college dosn't cast their votes until December or some such though, so it isn't changing the results after it happens.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-25-2004 02:49:37 AM
quote:
Arttemis came out of the closet to say:
This would be retroactively applied to the 2004 election.

How's it retroactive when they're on the ballot at the same time?

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 10-25-2004 10:24:05 PM
quote:
How.... Drysart.... uughhhhhh:
How's it retroactive when they're on the ballot at the same time?

I took my wording from the Gazette Voter's Guide that I had. "Retroactive" may not be the proper word.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-31-2004 02:07:31 PM
Updated 10/31

With two days to go, the polls today are showing an edge for Kerry, but many, many states are in the margin of error, and each new poll has a different result. It's "too close to call" one way or the other.

So what can we expect on Tuesday? Most likely, an unfortunate repeat of the 2000 election. It's not a stretch to say that enough state results will be close enough for recounts, and close enough for legal challenges from whichever side needs the help.

Some mitigating factors that might weigh in on the numbers: If voter turnout is high, that'll be a boost to Kerry. If voter turnout is low, that'll be a boost to Bush. The consequences of Osama bin Laden's message haven't had enough time to show up in the polls, so whether the result is one of "See, terrorists are still a threat -- vote Bush" or "Proof of an ineffective anti-terrorism strategy -- vote Kerry" is still not known.

A Republican elector in West Virginia is threatening to vote for someone other than Bush if West Virginia is a Bush win (which is likely). If the election ends up being as close as the 2000 election, that single vote could change the result of the election. (The fallout of such a thing happening would be interesting to say the least.)

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-31-2004 04:50:28 PM
The legality of counting dead people's ballots is now coming up.

This is probably going to be the most miserable election ever. I hope for landslide, but expect a clusterfuck.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 10-31-2004 at 04:50 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Alaan
posted 10-31-2004 04:56:53 PM
quote:
Karnaj probably says this to all the girls:
The legality of counting dead people's ballots is now coming up.

This is probably going to be the most miserable election ever. I hope for landslide, but expect a clusterfuck.

That article sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-01-2004 02:37:20 PM
Update 11/1
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 11-01-2004 02:40:05 PM
Dr. Gee
posted 11-01-2004 02:54:55 PM
Either canidate needs to take any two of: Ohio, PA, Florida, as long as the rest of the states stay pretty much the same, to win.

That's fucking scary-close.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-01-2004 03:14:37 PM
This topic is being closed to make room for the Election Day thread.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: