EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tracking the Polls 11/1: Kerry 298, Bush 231
Alaan
posted 09-29-2004 08:31:44 PM
quote:
So quoth Razor:
The state is about 40/59 republican if you look at the counties, it just happens that most of the population happens to be in the counties that vote Democratic overal, and seeing that the governator won by a landslide, I can really see that California could really go either way.

Doesn't CA also have many of the big defense contractors out there? People will vote for Bush just to protect all the jobs that are solid thanks to the military boom.

Razor
posted 09-29-2004 10:10:08 PM
That is why San Diego is a Republican Stronghold. most of the contracts went to local companies that outsource...
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-29-2004 11:32:48 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Azizza:
Oh and NY really surprises me. It is listed as only weak for Kerry. The numbers are interesting. But only time will tell.

Yeah, its surprising. Somehow NJ has become a semi-battleground state as well. Kinda freaky. The state has been decidedly Democratic since '88. Now my vote may matter. Fuck.

Demos
Pancake
posted 09-30-2004 01:51:15 PM
quote:
Talonus was listening to Cher while typing:
Yeah, its surprising. Somehow NJ has become a semi-battleground state as well. Kinda freaky. The state has been decidedly Democratic since '88. Now my vote may matter. Fuck.

Lucky. I'm voting democratic in Illinois.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-01-2004 02:38:36 AM
I would love to see the polls after the first debate.

Bush staggered so much, it almost wasn't funny.

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-01-2004 02:46:43 AM
If anyone thinks a Kerry comeback is impossible, remember the primaries. I imagine this debate may put Kerry back to nose-to-nose with the president, but I don't think it will shoot him ahead.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-01-2004 05:00:36 AM
Updated October 1st.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 10-02-2004 06:51:18 PM
According to the newsweek polls post-debate, Kerry apparently shot down Bush's previous lead and has the lead now with 49%-46%. Good to see the debate had some impact.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-02-2004 07:12:00 PM
quote:
Zaza came out of the closet to say:
According to the newsweek polls post-debate, Kerry apparently shot down Bush's previous lead and has the lead now with 49%-46%. Good to see the debate had some impact.

Survey USA gives the win in the first debate to Kerry, but not by a very large margin. Gallup currently has a headline on their front page declaring that their numbers show Kerry as the clear winner.

The poll numbers are pretty much split right down party lines, though. There are simply more defectors from the red camp than the blue camp.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 10-02-2004 07:25:28 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Pirotess:
Survey USA gives the win in the first debate to Kerry, but not by a very large margin. Gallup currently has a headline on their front page declaring that their numbers show Kerry as the clear winner.

The poll numbers are pretty much split right down party lines, though. There are simply more defectors from the red camp than the blue camp.

Yeah, I was talking about presidential voting polls. Looks like Kerry did come out on top, considering Bush lost his lead.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-02-2004 07:44:41 PM
Eh, the lead's been bouncing back and forth between the two of them constantly since it's been in the margin of error for weeks.

The main thing I think is important is that polls are showing Kerry did very well with the undecided voters -- if anything, that's what would give him a good boost in the overall poll numbers. It'll be a week or two before the debates start really filtering into the main polls.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-02-2004 08:01:25 PM
The thing I found interesting about the post-debate polls is that while Kerry came out the clear winner in the debate, it was strictly in terms of style. When asked who would make the better Commander in Chief, and whose positions best agreed with their own, poll respondents gave the nod to Bush, by about the usual margins we've been seeing in other polls.

Interesting.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-02-2004 08:16:35 PM
Problem is, most people who are intelligent and committed enough to sit down, watch, and follow the debate have already made up their mind as to who they're voting for.
Suddar
posted 10-04-2004 08:44:01 PM
quote:
Demos stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Problem is, most people who are intelligent and committed enough to sit down, watch, and follow the debate have already made up their mind as to who they're voting for.

I disagree. I think that while lots of people have chosen their side in this election, there's also lots of "swing" voters. I, personally, haven't decided who I'm going to vote for. (yeah, I straddle the fence.) I'm definitely still not sure after this debate.

The fact is, I don't like Kerry. I don't like Bush either, granted...but I don't like Kerry. So these kind of things help me decide. Right now I'm just trying to figure out who I disagree with the least.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 10-04-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-04-2004 09:09:26 PM
There are a bunch of questionnaires out right now that can tell you which person you agree/disagree with more. It might be worth checking out.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 10-08-2004 09:39:23 AM
http://www.presidentmatch.com

It's a nifty little tool.

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-08-2004 04:23:36 PM
quote:
Monica thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
http://www.presidentmatch.com

It's a nifty little tool.

That is a pretty good one.

I got 75% Kerry and 16% Bush

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 04:31:49 PM
I find it incredibly scary that anyone would take an online quiz, a la "Which PowerPuff Girl are you?" to see who they should vote for as President.

I guess good, old fashioned research and independent thinking are out of the question.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 04:41:56 PM
The quiz was so long and boring I really don't see many undecided people giving enough of a damn to sit through it.
Zair
The Imp
posted 10-08-2004 04:43:23 PM
quote:
Demos's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
The quiz was so long and boring I really don't see many undecided people giving enough of a damn to sit through it.

I didn't think there were any undecided people left.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-08-2004 05:09:03 PM
quote:
Bloodsage got bored and wrote this:
I find it incredibly scary that anyone would take an online quiz, a la "Which PowerPuff Girl are you?" to see who they should vote for as President.

I guess good, old fashioned research and independent thinking are out of the question.

Except that the site that Kloie linked is rather informative. It asks you a bunch of opinion questions on various subjects, then spits out a relative percentile of subjects thatyou agree with a candidate on, then shows you how the candidate THEMSELVES break down on the questions you just answered.

It's far from a shitass "What character are you" poll, and I was genuinely suprised to see myself go over 30% agreement on Bush issues.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 05:30:41 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Robocop:
Except that the site that Kloie linked is rather informative. It asks you a bunch of opinion questions on various subjects, then spits out a relative percentile of subjects thatyou agree with a candidate on, then shows you how the candidate THEMSELVES break down on the questions you just answered.

It's far from a shitass "What character are you" poll, and I was genuinely suprised to see myself go over 30% agreement on Bush issues.

Actually, I went to that very site and took the quiz before posting.

My comment stands.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 06:40:00 PM
quote:
Zair impressed everyone with:
I didn't think there were any undecided people left.

Sadly, there are.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-09-2004 12:05:11 AM
Well, it is wrong about me. Took the test for the hell of it.

Kerry 52%, Bush 51%

I favor Bush somewhat over Kerry, though.

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-09-2004 12:23:09 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Falaanla Marr said this:
Well, it is wrong about me. Took the test for the hell of it.

Kerry 52%, Bush 51%

I favor Bush somewhat over Kerry, though.

It doesn't measure who you like more, it measures who has views that more closely resemble yours.
I'm not saying it is necessarily accurate, just that it measures issues exclusivly.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 05:28:49 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Zair said:
It doesn't measure who you like more, it measures who has views that more closely resemble yours.
I'm not saying it is necessarily accurate, just that it measures issues exclusivly.

It doesn't measure dick. It's exactly as accurate, and for exactly the same reasons, as a quiz telling you which D&D dragon you are.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-09-2004 06:12:59 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bloodsage:
It doesn't measure dick. It's exactly as accurate, and for exactly the same reasons, as a quiz telling you which D&D dragon you are.

Hay wait, that doesn't measure dragon-ness?

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-09-2004 12:37:53 PM
quote:
Bloodsage came out of the closet to say:
It doesn't measure dick.

Well it's not a random number generator, so it certainly measures something.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 01:00:30 PM
quote:
Drysart enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Well it's not a random number generator, so it certainly measures something.

"Measuring" implies a whole lot of things.

It's certainly calculating something. Whether that calculation can actually be described accurately as a measurment is up to much debate.

Although it is a convenient way for lazy people to be told by strangers how to vote.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-09-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Alaan
posted 10-09-2004 06:46:00 PM
I honestly do not trust the internet enough to base a vote off of any poll/quiz online.
Delphi Aegis
posted 10-09-2004 11:25:27 PM
quote:
Blah blah blah Bloodsage blah blah blah...
"Measuring" implies a whole lot of things.

It's certainly calculating something. Whether that calculation can actually be described accurately as a measurment is up to much debate.

Although it is a convenient way for lazy people to be told by strangers how to vote.

It calculates nothing save percentage.

It takes the stances of the two people in office and simply compares them to what you answered, giving a lesser percentage for answers further away from a candidate's answers.

What the fuck?
It doesn't even say "YOU WILL VOTE FOR X", it just tells you who, on major issues, you agree with the most, then breaks those issues down so you can research them yourself.

Don't get in a tizzy just because it's on the intarweb.

Delphi Aegis fucked around with this message on 10-09-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Suddar
posted 10-10-2004 12:39:18 AM
The fact is, it's a useless quiz.

Just like any other internet quiz, it can't tell you anything that you couldn't have told yourself.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-11-2004 12:20:25 AM
Map updated October 11th.

With less than a month to go until the election, Kerry is starting to show a bump in the polls in the wake of the first debate. It's still too soon to see any change in the numbers as a result of the second debate, but preliminary numbers are seeming to indicate that Kerry's upward trend will continue.

Worth noting is that no incumbent president has had numbers this low at this point in the race and still won re-election. Bush is going to need a strong showing at the third debate, or pull a rabbit out of his hat, to get the polls swinging in his favor.

Delphi Aegis
posted 10-11-2004 12:50:08 AM
I wouldn't be at all suprised if this is THE closest election ever.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-11-2004 03:10:44 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Drysart wrote:
Map updated October 11th.

With less than a month to go until the election, Kerry is starting to show a bump in the polls in the wake of the first debate. It's still too soon to see any change in the numbers as a result of the second debate, but preliminary numbers are seeming to indicate that Kerry's upward trend will continue.

Worth noting is that no incumbent president has had numbers this low at this point in the race and still won re-election. Bush is going to need a strong showing at the third debate, or pull a rabbit out of his hat, to get the polls swinging in his favor.

Murphy's law.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-11-2004 04:42:46 AM
Also, it's been a very long time since the person who won the first debate was elected. Several decades.

It'll be interesting.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 10-11-2004 02:16:10 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Suddar wrote:
The fact is, it's a useless quiz.

Just like any other internet quiz, it can't tell you anything that you couldn't have told yourself.

I suppose... I already knew that I'm a Kerry girl, fo sho, but it gave me better insight on why, like on some of the issues that I don't know as much about. I know at least a little bit about the majority of them, but I don't have time to go ass-deep in research about all of the issues.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-11-2004 07:45:30 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Delphi Aegis wrote:
I wouldn't be at all suprised if this is THE closest election ever.

How could it be closer than the last one?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 10-11-2004 09:12:47 PM
quote:
So quoth JooJooFlop:

could be tied.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 10-11-2004 10:06:28 PM
quote:
Verily, JooJooFlop doth proclaim:

2000 was not that closest POTUS election in US history.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: