EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hoping Satan-mart gets a lump of coal
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-02-2003 03:05:36 PM
Reynar, had the coffee been at the correct heat, there wouldnt have been a lawsuit.

That extra 20 degree's takes it from "Painfull" to "I need a catheter"

I can understand the store for overheating it, they probly figured people would try and take a sip, see how hot it was, then let it sit in the cup holder while it cools off. Im not sure what the benefit for that is though

Reynar, Fireworks and guns approriate to the known level of danger.

What if you were using a roman candle, where legal, and it shot a ball from the front AND sides, hitting you.

Standard fireworks, your fault

STandard guns, your fault

Standard coffee, your fault

Superheated coffee, not your fault.

Im not sure about the circumstances, but the heat was probably felt through the cup, and might have burned slightly and she could have dropped it because of that.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
The Mighty Quinn
Pancake
posted 12-02-2003 03:09:18 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress was listening to Cher while typing:
I'm confused. I thought the warnings were printed on the cup as a result of this incident and that the warning was not on the cup the lady received?

And subsequently, we now have similar warnings on almost every product we buy.

If I remember correctly, you and Bloodsage lived abroad? Then you both know what I'm talking about. Only in America do you find some of the most asinine warnings on products.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-02-2003 03:11:52 PM
They were only overseas while Sage was figuring out what bombs to use for the army.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-02-2003 03:27:18 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Drysart!
and in fact at that temperature was too hot to even drink because it would have killed you; and gave the woman third-degree burns (we're talking the same type of burns you'd get if you went and set yourself on fire)

I've seen people get coffee from fast food places and take a drink right away. Just imagine what would have happened if she had been one of those people.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-02-2003 03:39:55 PM
the mcdonalds kept the coffee hotter because it made it taste fresher longer.

The difference is that if you spill regular coffee on yourself, it hurts like a bitch, but you don't get third degree burns. She got third degree burns.

The coffee was hotter than they were allowed to keep it BY LAW, and that's a bad thing.

Sure, when I buy a coffee, I know it's hot, but I don't expect it to be hot enough to permanantly debilitate me.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-02-2003 03:45:07 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy Claus:
If you buy a gun and they give it to you loaded, then you accidently shoot your kid because you didn't know it was loaded, who's fault would that be?

That would be 100%, inarguably, your own fault.

The first rule of guns is that you always, always, without fail, always check the receiver every time you pick it up.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-02-2003 03:48:35 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Aquinas absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
If I remember correctly, you and Bloodsage lived abroad? Then you both know what I'm talking about. Only in America do you find some of the most asinine warnings on products.

Oh, I don't know about that. Traffic intersections in France are a nightmare, because there are 12,253 signs: one or two telling you important details, and the rest pointing out all the (mostly painfully obvious) directions you're not allowed to go. I mean, really--do you need a sign telling you you can't turn toward traffic when merging onto the freakin' highway?

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-02-2003 05:03:46 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Oh, I don't know about that. Traffic intersections in France are a nightmare, because there are 12,253 signs: one or two telling you important details, and the rest pointing out all the (mostly painfully obvious) directions you're not allowed to go. I mean, really--do you need a sign telling you you can't turn toward traffic when merging onto the freakin' highway?

Well, it is France.

hey
nem-x
posted 12-02-2003 05:28:21 PM
They might keep the coffee hot so customers will leave the McDonalds before being able to drink it, and get free refills.

edit: At the normal temperature of McDonalds coffee, it would take a full minute to receive the third degree burns that the lady got, compared to the few seconds to the overheated coffee. And I think this case also lead up to the "Warning: Contents Hot" labels being added to the cups.

[ 12-02-2003: Message edited by: nem-x ]

can you please fix my title
posted 12-02-2003 06:17:58 PM
quote:
Gydfather had this to say about Duck Tales:
Actually, the coffee McDonald's case got the verdict significantly reduced on appeal (and then settled confidentially, presumably for even less). No one seems to know that.

And can the lady sue Wal-Mart? Of course. Anybody can sue anybody. But I think it would lose on summary judgment in favor of Wal-Mart, because the plaintiff will not be able to show a duty owed to her as a matter of law. If the plaintiff gets a more plaintiff-friendly judge, she might get to a jury. But I doubt it.

More likely Wal-Mart will settle to avoid the publicity (like they would in a big predatory pricing case, regardless of their culpability). And someone will profit for an unfortunate accident at the expense of a big corporation, which we all know is made of money and evil so what do we care if they pay out the wazoo in settlements for something that wasn't its fault -- they just write it off anyway.

*tags Bloodsage back in*

which is exacly why I smell the lawsuit its almost money in the bank for someone. sure it likly will get settled out of court becuse who wants the expense or the bad press of a trial.

Im aware the lady got less, last i heard it was 750k and then the case kinda disapeared. you are likly right she got less. after costs and the like about 150k best guess

still thats not bad considering the merits of the case.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]

posted 12-02-2003 06:24:02 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bloodsage wrote:
That would be 100%, inarguably, your own fault.

The first rule of guns is that you always, always, without fail, always check the receiver every time you pick it up.

not to nit pick but I think its always assume its loaded.

then again if you check the recevier or the cylinder thats establishing wither its loaded or not

never heard what the temp of that coffe was eccept when it was mentions coffe tastes best when its brewed at 170f becuse of the oils in the beans. (been a bit i hope i have that right)

so when you get your coffe depending how exacly fresh it is , it can be very very hot.

I'd also like to point out that the 3rd degree burns were {LIKLY} a factor of the tempature and the fact she couldnt get away from the source of the heat.

in the end we all learned that coffe is served hot and now everyone puts warning lables on it jsut in case you dont know that ahead of time

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-02-2003 06:55:58 PM
quote:
Somthor wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

Sorry, you have no right to nitpick.

Bloodsage is a distinguished scholar and quite knowledgable about just about anything he discusses.

You are a dimwit who's too retarded to realize just how much of a moron he is.

Now, please ingest some poison and remove yourself from this world.

posted 12-02-2003 07:03:40 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mr. Parcelan said this:
Sorry, you have no right to nitpick.

Bloodsage is a distinguished scholar and quite knowledgable about just about anything he discusses.

i'll agree with this, which is why i mentioned i was nitpicking. cant tell me that assuming every fire arm is loaded until you phsyicly check first is a retarded thing to say or add.

Sean
posted 12-02-2003 07:06:50 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
i'll agree with this, which is why i mentioned i was nitpicking. cant tell me that assuming every fire arm is loaded until you phsyicly check first is a retarded thing to say or add.

That's what Bloodsage said.

It's not what you said, sparky.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

posted 12-02-2003 07:14:51 PM
quote:
Sean impressed everyone with:
That's what Bloodsage said.

It's not what you said, sparky.

no its not.

he said "The first rule of guns is that you always, always, without fail, always check the receiver every time you pick it up."

I said "not to nit pick but I think its always assume its loaded.

then again if you check the recevier or the cylinder thats establishing wither its loaded or not"

basicly im saying you should first assume its loaded then check...

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 12-02-2003 07:18:23 PM
Damn, someone asks a gun question and someone else beats me to it? MY POWERS ARE GONE!

Bloodsage is correct in his assertion that the first step in any gun handling procedure is a chamber check. The greater part of injuries due to negligent discharges would be eliminated if people followed the three tenets of handling firearms, one of which is the chamber check (or, verbatim, "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded until you have verified otherwise.")

posted 12-02-2003 07:24:48 PM
NRA member, owner of several handguns. no expert, but I assure you I am compenete with them.

let that be your happy thought of the day.... Somthor Carries

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-02-2003 07:38:59 PM
quote:
Somthor's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
NRA member, owner of several handguns. no expert, but I assure you I am compenete with them.

*falls over and writhes on the ground a little bit*

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-02-2003 07:46:13 PM
quote:
This one time, at Somthor camp:

Nope. I didn't believe you when you said you were a biped, I won't believe you now.

Even if you weren't a disgusting liar, I would be hard-pressed to believe an illiterate, retarded oaf over Bloodsage.

posted 12-02-2003 07:57:50 PM
Other important Gun rules are:

Learn the characteristics of your firearm
Treat every firearm as if it is loaded
Always point the muzzle in a safe direction
Keep your finger off the trigger
Never rely on a mechanical safety
Keep gun unloaded and action open until ready to shoot
Know your target and what's beyond it
Use only the correct ammunition for your firearm
Know what to do in the event of a misfire
Wear protective ear and eye equipment
Keep firearm free from obstructions and well maintained
Don't modify your firearm
Do not mix guns with alcohol, drugs, or fatigue
Stow your Firearm in a secure place when not in use

Rule # 1: All Guns Are Always Loaded
Rule # 2: Never Let Your Muzzle Cover Anything You Are Not Willing To Kill.
Rule # 3: Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger & Out of The Trigger Guard Always.
Rule # 4: Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It.

sure these have been posted before and the topic of guns has been discussed just putting here for anyone who wanted to know anyway

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-02-2003 08:21:03 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Somthor said:

then again if you check the recevier or the cylinder thats establishing wither its loaded or not

never heard what the temp of that coffe was eccept when it was mentions coffe tastes best when its brewed at 170f becuse of the oils in the beans. (been a bit i hope i have that right)

so when you get your coffe depending how exacly fresh it is , it can be very very hot.

I'd also like to point out that the 3rd degree burns were {LIKLY} a factor of the tempature and the fact she couldnt get away from the source of the heat.

in the end we all learned that coffe is served hot and now everyone puts warning lables on it jsut in case you dont know that ahead of time

Yay for another uninformed arguement!

Food safety standards say coffee is to be no higher then 160 degrees. Period. Even fresh, just brewed coffee can't be hotter then 160 degrees. How do I know this? THE HEALTH INSPECTORS HOLD THE THERMOMETOR INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE STREAM OF COFFEE, AS WELL AS IN THE POT.

The 3rd degree burns were caused by the temp of the coffee. Period. It's 180 degrees. I have seen coffee the correct temp spilled on someone. Hell, I'd done it to myself. Do you know what it does? It leaves a red mark - MAYBE 1st degree burns if you are unlucky. That's straight out of the machine, too.

If she had managed to get the coffee past her tongue (assuming somehow she didn't just blister that horribly) as had drunk it, she would have DIED. All of the coffee machines they tested for the court ruling were around 180 degrees - hers could have been even hotter.

She had to get skin grafts. Company documents showed that in the past decade McDonald's had received at least 700 reports of coffee burns ranging from mild to third degree, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

Also: A Doctor testified in one court case: lowering the serving temperature to about 160 degrees could make a big difference, because it takes less than three seconds to produce a third-degree burn at 190 degrees, about 12 to 15 seconds at 180 degrees and about 20 seconds at 160 degrees.

posted 12-02-2003 08:44:18 PM
Coffee is served hot you should know better than to place it between your legs in a car.

I guess i was off 10 degress on the ideal brew tempature (170) i did say I wasnt sure.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 12-03-2003 12:27:19 AM
Bloodsage and I were playing House of the Dead III at Gameworks when he was in town and we were both standing there during the cut scenes with our fingers around the trigger guard like they were real guns, just by reflex.

Gun safety is no game, sir!!

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited by: Snoota ]

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-03-2003 12:28:52 AM
neet, I do that too.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2003 01:28:31 AM
Somthor,

Must you really highlight yourself this way?

Your alleged first rule of gun handling is based on making an assumption, which is a dumb thing to do; mine is based on unfailing verification of the status.

Which do you think is smarter?

What you've done is simply bastardize one of the other prime rules: never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, and never shoot anything you don't intend to kill.

No one who types like you do has any business arguing fine points of anything. You should be happy we even bother to wade through the painful process of figuring out your major points.

Snoota
posted 12-03-2003 01:29:44 AM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote this stupid crap:
You should be happy we even bother to wade through the painful process of figuring out your major points.

Wait wait wait.

What's this "we" stuff?

Blindy.
posted 12-03-2003 01:34:30 AM
JESUS CHRIST JUST IGNORE THE GUY.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-03-2003 01:43:27 AM
quote:
Blindy Claus had this to say about Tron:
JESUS CHRIST JUST IGNORE THE GUY.

You're no fun.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Blindy.
posted 12-03-2003 01:44:48 AM
I can feel the stupid infecting my brain every time I see this thread bumped.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-03-2003 01:45:17 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Snoota:
Bloodsage and I were playing House of the Dead III at Gameworks when he was in town and we were both standing there during the cut scenes with our fingers around the trigger guard like they were real guns, just by reflex.

Gun safety is no game, sir!!

rofl

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 12-03-2003 01:53:47 AM
Hey don't cha know that bashing Walmart is a trend? Anyone who is anyone does that all the time. Isn't that right Somthor?

(Sorry had to say it)

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-03-2003 02:00:01 AM
quote:
Freschel Spindrift attempted to be funny by writing:
Hey don't cha know that bashing Walmart is a trend? Anyone who is anyone does that all the time. Isn't that right Somthor?

(Sorry had to say it)

I see so many people doing the same to "M$". Half of them don't even know what it MEANS using the dollar sign, the other half couldn't form a sentance well enough to ASK what it means.

Snoota
posted 12-03-2003 02:10:01 AM
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-03-2003 04:44:46 AM
quote:
Snoota's account was hax0red to write:
[xIMG]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020722l.gif[/IMG]

I was gonna do that

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

posted 12-03-2003 07:06:55 AM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
Somthor,

Must you really highlight yourself this way?

You should be happy we even bother to wade through the painful process of figuring out your major points.

so noted,

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2003 03:32:26 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Somthor gently hums:

I think I just changed my position on gun control.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:33:39 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Tron:

*Chokes with laugher*

You just made my day. ^_^

posted 12-03-2003 03:42:33 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:

whats wrong with me having a carry permit? what you just said is highly offensive, you dont know me yet you act like Im a walking menace.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-03-2003 03:44:27 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Cuba:
whats wrong with me having a carry permit? what you just said is highly offensive, you dont know me yet you act like Im a walking menace.

Consider the facts:
-You spell like a five year-old
-You act like a retard
-You've shown yourself to be extremely belligerent

I don't want a belligerent, retarded five year-old carrying a gun. Do you?

Snoota
posted 12-03-2003 03:45:33 PM
quote:
Somthor's fortune cookie read:

All we have to go by is what you show us. And you show us you're a retard who couldn't operate a lightswitch without help.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: